• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Extroverted Intuition and Religion

SolitaryWalker

Tenured roisterer
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
“It goes without saying that such a type is uncommonly important both economically and culturally. If his intentions are good, i.e, if his attitude is not too egocentric, he can render exceptional service as the initiator or promoter of new enterprises. He is the natural champion of all minorities with a future. Because he is able, when oriented more to people than things, to make an intuitive diagnosis of their abilities and potentialities, he can also “make” men. His capacity to inspire courage or to kindle enthusiasm for anything new is unrivalled..”

“Since his intuition is concerned with externals and with feretting out their possibilities, he readily turns to professions in which he can exploit these capacities to the full. Many business tycoons, entrepreneurs, speculators, stockbrokers, politicians, etc., belong to this type.”

Psychological types, P.369

SolitaryWalker

Tenured roisterer
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I notice that most of the ENP members I've exchanged words with on this site had dogmatic religious beliefs. In my life I've come across several ENPs who professed to be religious zealots. Yet, I certainly had doubts about the sincerity and of their claim.

For one, I have an older ENTP 'friend' who holds a senior pastor position in his church. He always carries many masks and rarely lets the opportunity slip to coax the audience into believing that he is exactly what they'd like to see. The man always carries many masks and the way he manipulates them aroud is nothign short of a work of art. It is very common to see him interact with many groups of people simultaneously, leading each one to believe that he is a steadfast champion of their cause. He almost never knew where he stood, but of course, this noone, not even he himself was aware of! At the time he earnestly thought that he believed in what he was preaching, yet had no compunction about asserting almost the opposite the next sermon. Seemingly ignoring or failing to see the contradiction. Yet of course, even the most analytical of minds would have trouble pointing out his deceptive tendencies as he always managed to obfuscate them in dense walls of rhetoric and artistic expression. His claims were usually open to double or even triple layers of interpretation and when questioned he managed to skillfully maneuver his way out of the charges. On several occassions it took me over an hour of intense scrutiny to pin him down. And when pinned down, he infallibly succeeds at making the charge seem less grave or even endearing to the accuser. This, unfortunately, was the part where I was unable to call him on his bs as making quick value judgments is not my strong side.

My other ENFP friend rocked the same show for 5 years. Professing to be a religious zealot at the outset, and completely lost his faith a few months ago. He had even stronger presentation skills than the former as he not only knew how to come in tune with the 'spirit of the time', but also he knew how to make his sermons endearing to the individual. Thus, this character managed to put up the presentation everyone liked irrespectively of its content or his personal beliefs. Those who have shown disagreement or displeasure were tamed momentarily, walking away feeling like they are the center of his life. Over a dozen of people could earnestly claim that they felt very special talking to him after the sermon even though he may never think of them again. Such people also would have forgotten their indignation at what he said, assuming it was something profound and extremely endearing. When in reality he uttered a thousand words having said nothing, only made the position he presented on stage seem different, yet at the essence it was the same damn thing. Afraid of being questioned? Yes, unlike the ENTP he lacked the sharp, quick-thinking analytical mind to contest people directly who challenge him, but he certainly loved to boast how he could equivocate around their questions and in the end they love him all the more for it.

Why did these men happen to be dominant Extroverted Intuitives and what does this tell us about Extroverted Intuition. Is it merely a coincidence that such behavior happened to be acted out by those two ENPs? I would think not. Ne, as I described in my ENTP profile easily adapts to the Intuitive patterns shared by the external environment. Thus because ENTPs are strongly in tune with the external perception itself, and perception itself is malleable, they can easily manipulate the external perceptions dressing them in any form they need them to be in. They naturally identify with the 'spirit of the time' and zestfully merge with it.

The ENFP likely will embody the popular sentiments with a great sense of inner personal conviction appealing to the individual (Fi as slave to Ne), yet in reality there is nothing individualistic about what they said. It is means to the end of enticing the masses. The idea is radically collectivist almost by the essence of itself.

ENTP on the other hand will perceive the external situation as means to the end of achieving his impersonal goals. Much like the great Machiavelli. Religion is very attractive to both types as it offers ample opportunities to influence the masses and make a name for oneself. As religion is often identified with orthodoxy, and conventional society identifies virtue with orthodoxy itself. Thus to be normal and to be good mean the same thing without a doubt here.

Thoughts?

Any other ENP experiences and why these types gravitate towards organized religion. It should be noted that this has nothing to do with pursuing morality or higher purpose. It is all about exploiting the religious orthodoxy to appease one's vanity. Personal beliefs and ambitions are of ancillary importance to making an impact in the external world.

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
I'm an ENFP and I am religiously anti-religious.

Intellectually agnostic, and realistically an atheist.

Can't speak for others, but this has always been the case for me.

Lateralus

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
3w4
I'm an ENP and I couldn't care less about religion.

SolitaryWalker

Tenured roisterer
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I'm an ENFP and I am religiously anti-religious.

Intellectually agnostic, and realistically an atheist.

Can't speak for others, but this has always been the case for me.

I'm an ENP and I couldn't care less about religion.

Religion is highly instrumental at making a name for yourself and promoting whatever desire your whim shall command. Having rejected this, how do you plan on accomplishing that eventually? Don't you think its rather unwise to reject religion just because you dont agree with their spiritual teaching and ethics?

Lateralus

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
3w4
Religion is highly instrumental at making a name for yourself and promoting whatever desire your whim shall command. Having rejected this, how do you plan on accomplishing that eventually? Don't you think its rather unwise to reject religion just because you dont agree with their spiritual teaching and ethics?
LOL, what?

Lateralus

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
3w4
I'm not so sure. I don't recall ever seeing Seahorse use humor in the past.

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
I am fluent in English yet am having some major problems translating this.

To be honest, the questions you raise make absolutely no sense.

I'm confused by your absence of logical progression. :shock:

MetalWounds

More human than human
MBTI Type
TP
Enneagram
9w8
I am fluent in English yet am having some major problems translating this.

To be honest, the questions you raise make absolutely no sense.

He is implying that religion is devoid of substance, rather it is a method to push your beliefs on someone else and then referring them to pious dogma, in which they will be viewed as justified. This would make the ultimate controlling factor on other human beings, not based on your own power, but the perceived implication of power bestowed unto a deity.

SolitaryWalker

Tenured roisterer
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I am fluent in English yet am having some major problems translating this..:

Let me dumb it down for you.

Extroverted Intuition is much concerned with making an impact on large groups of people. Religions have a powerful impact on society by and large. Want to influence people? Why dont you become a preacher. Come on, we all know you better than that; you're not really so naive that you actually think that in order to call yourself religious you actually have to believe in the things the Bible teaches.

Being religious is also associated with having character. Want people to think highly of you? Tell them that you're religious.

To be honest, the questions you raise make absolutely no sense.:

Study Extroverted Intuition more.

'It is absent' and 'I don't see it' are not synonymous expressions.

Lateralus

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
3w4
He is implying that religion is devoid of substance, rather it is a method to push your beliefs on someone else and then referring them to pious dogma, in which they will be viewed as justified. This would make the ultimate controlling factor on other human beings, not based on your own power, but the perceived implication of power bestowed unto a deity.
Yeah, and he's asking ENPs this...hence my LOL.

Nocapszy

no clinkz 'til brooklyn
MBTI Type
ENTP

If she's got no particular aim, faking faith serves no purpose, but, how do you know she's not manipulating the hell out of you right now?

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Let me tone it down for you.

Extroverted Intuition is much concerned with making an impact on large groups of people. Religions have a powerful impact on society by and large. Want to influence people? Why dont you become a preacher. Come on, we all know you better than that; you're not really so naive that you actually think that in order to call yourself religious you actually have to believe in the things the Bible teaches.

Being religious is also associated with having character. Want people to think highly of you? Tell them that you're religious.

Study Extroverted Intuition more.

'It is absent' and 'I don't see it' are not synonymous expressions.
In my world, religious people are associated as being automatons, and or dogmatic idiots.

You seem devoid of moral substance, and lacking in intellectual dexterity.

I am not a megalomaniac, I could give two fecal shits about how the world at large perceives me, and the people whom I do care about, do happen to view me highly, why? Because I am an honest and sincere person.

I have no need to tell people lies just so they'll like, or admire me.

SolitaryWalker

Tenured roisterer
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Yeah, and he's asking ENPs this...hence my LOL.

My dear sir, are you telling me that you, an ENFP, do not much care to be admired by everyone? That you do not much care to easily get what you want from people at the snap of a finger? That you are not excited by the idea of having your audience believe everything you say without knowing what you're actually saying? That you are not interested in having others think of you to be as magnanimous as Yahweh himself, yet let yourself behave like the Pagan Gods? (Cough Bill Clinton, he was of your breed).

That said, doesnt religion seem enticing to you still?

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
My dear sir, are you telling me that you, an ENFP, do not much care to be admired by everyone? That you do not much care to easily get what you want from people at the snap of a finger? That you are not excited by the idea of having your audience believe everything you say without knowing what you're actually saying? That you are not interested in having others think of you to be as magnanimous as Yahweh himself, yet let yourself behave like the Pagan Gods? (Cough Bill Clinton, he was of your breed).

You are soooooooooooooooooooo ignorant!!!!!!!!!!!

You obviously know not a goddamn thing about what it means to be a true ENFP.

[edited]

Last edited by a moderator:

SolitaryWalker

Tenured roisterer
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
:happy0065:
You are soooooooooooooooooooo ignorant!!!!!!!!!!!

You obviously know not a goddamn thing about what it means to be a true ENFP.

[edited]

:happy0065: Continue please.

P.S

I have a feeling this whole thread flew over your head again.

Last edited by a moderator:

MetalWounds

More human than human
MBTI Type
TP
Enneagram
9w8

To disagree with this, it would seem to be to refute that your type is actually ENFP.

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
^ that's all you got???

Two lousy emoticons and a "pass-the-mic" forfeiture!!!!!!