• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Extroverted Intuition and Religion

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
My dear sir, are you telling me that you, an ENFP, do not much care to be admired by everyone? That you do not much care to easily get what you want from people at the snap of a finger? That you are not excited by the idea of having your audience believe everything you say without knowing what you're actually saying? That you are not interested in having others think of you to be as magnanimous as Yahweh himself, yet let yourself behave like the Pagan Gods? (Cough Bill Clinton, he was of your breed).
Yup, and this isn't at all insulting!!!

I insult one person based on his vehement, ignorantly based, fallacious claims made against an entire personality type, to which I happen to belong. And yet since I happen to be specific in my attack, and he happens to be general, I end up getting penalized for it, and not he.

:rolli:

nemo

Enneagram
<3
Why did these men happen to be dominant Extroverted Intuitives and what does this tell us about Extroverted Intuition. Is it merely a coincidence that such behavior happened to be acted out by those two ENPs?

Yes.

I would think not. Ne, as I described in my ENTP profile easily adapts to the Intuitive patterns shared by the external environment. Thus because ENTPs are strongly in tune with the external perception itself, and perception itself is malleable, they can easily manipulate the external perceptions dressing them in any form they need them to be in. They naturally identify with the 'spirit of the time' and zestfully merge with it.

The bold part is where you start to go off base. But I think on the other parts you're half-right.

In my experience, it is true that ENPs are relatively in-tune with the external perceptions of themselves and people at large -- but merging with those perceptions? No way. Mocking it, maybe.

Just speaking for myself: I am (generally) aware of how people perceive me, and I do manipulate it to my own ends. But that is not something I get kicks out of -- the most I do is construct an eccentric albeit competent aura so that people will leave me the fuck alone and not be too shocked by whatever outlandish things I think appropriate to say or do (which are usually just bizarre social experiments I conduct to study other people). Maintaining this kind of image takes minimal effort.

Furthermore, unless a person is autistic or something, I don't think this is at all unique to ENPs. Most people, consciously or not, attempt to portray an image that suits their perceptions of themselves. Even you have a picture of freaking Spinoza as your avatar, no?

The ENFP likely will embody the popular sentiments with a great sense of inner personal conviction appealing to the individual (Fi as slave to Ne), yet in reality there is nothing individualistic about what they said. It is means to the end of enticing the masses. The idea is radically collectivist almost by the essence of itself.

The ENFPs I've known have embraced extremely unpopular ideas because their inner conviction easily trumps their need to "entice the masses."

ENTP on the other hand will perceive the external situation as means to the end of achieving his impersonal goals. Much like the great Machiavelli. Religion is very attractive to both types as it offers ample opportunities to influence the masses and make a name for oneself. As religion is often identified with orthodoxy, and conventional society identifies virtue with orthodoxy itself. Thus to be normal and to be good mean the same thing without a doubt here.

Well, I can be sort of Machiavellian, but in general I just don't care enough to embrace something I don't care about just to impress or control people. In fact, I don't find that impressing people or controlling people is in any way something I'm motivated to do.

Any other ENP experiences and why these types gravitate towards organized religion. It should be noted that this has nothing to do with pursuing morality or higher purpose. It is all about exploiting the religious orthodoxy to appease one's vanity. Personal beliefs and ambitions are of ancillary importance to making an impact in the external world.

No, no, no, no. There are so many things wrong with this I don't even know where to start.

First of all, I hate orthodoxy. Second of all, I hate religion. I'm philosophically agnostic, but in practice an atheist. Third, I hate orthodoxy. And I flaunt this attitude as much as I can.

Like I said above, I probably flaunt this in part because it makes people think I'm weird enough that they just stop trying to properly socialize me... But also because I personally find it funny.

Furthermore, I'd much rather gain recognition by genuinely earning it, rather than simply manipulating preexisting social structures and duping people into believing I'm more important than I really am. In fact, this whole discussion that it is some kind of fundamental drive for ENPs to live off the recognition of others is extremely strange -- I don't really care, as long as I have the opportunity to do what I want. It's true that I portray myself in a certain way (like most other human beings), but I do it for the opposite reason of gaining recognition: I want to minimize the arbitrary social demands placed upon me so I can say and behave as I please without any expectations placed upon me. It's mostly about escaping human-constructed control.

This reminds me of an old Seinfeld scene that sums up my thoughts perfectly:
YouTube - Kramer - Marriage is a man made prison

I, personally, think you're vastly underestimating the Ne need to be free to follow their own creative impulses without society's harassment. In my experience, personal beliefs and ambitions are not secondary to making a contrived impact on society at large. And the idea of shirking beliefs in order to satisfy some vain need for attention and impact is one that I find extremely abhorrent, and the implication you make that this is something corollary to the ENP existence is somewhat insulting.

And none of this is out of line from the (admittedly few) ENPs I know.

Magic Poriferan

^He pronks, too!
MBTI Type
Yin
Enneagram
One
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

I insult one person based on his vehement, ignorantly based, fallacious claims made against an entire personality type, to which I happen to belong. And yet since I happen to be specific in my attack, and he happens to be general, I end up getting penalized for it, and not he.

AdmiralBabe, I feel I must explain some things.

His rhetorical questions may have seemed to be rather offensive in the "I thought all black people loved fried chicken" sort of way, but they were open questions never the less. A simple "no" to his silly question would be fine.
As absurd as the pretense of his ideas may seem, he is being cordial and constructive about it. Your throwing profanities at someone is not the way to do things.

If what he was doing really was an attack and an insult, then be the better person. Two wrongs don't make a right. Your response was indeed much more inflammatory than anything he's said, and it could have caused escalation. Don't make matters worse.

I don't really suspect complaining about a situation where you were already deemed in the wrong is in your best interest.

I am quite familiar with how a lot of user feels about BlueWing, but don't let it get the better of you and don't let it derail the forum.

Last edited:

substitute

MBTI Type
ENTP
Just one question.

If we sat down to talk about your worldview and then I have refuted your religious beliefs. Later you'd go to think the matter through thoroughly on your own and still be compelled to agree that your religious beliefs were false. Would you then abandon them?

If that were the case, then yes, probably. But since my beliefs aren't based on 'reason' alone, then the argument against would have to convince me on more than one level in order for me to no longer feel there's any truth in them. Speaking solely intellectually I suppose you could say I'm closer to agnosticism than full-blown 'belief'; but since I'm a whole human being, composed of more parts than intellect alone, and I know that those other parts are far from agnostic, I don't call myself agnostic.

My 'journey' as a believer has entailed sometimes a process quite un-native to me, but one which has comprised significant milestones, where I've gone away and thought matters thoroughly over and found that I've been unable to conclude anything other than that it was time to let heart rule head, and acknowledge that I believe in, say, transubstatiation, despite everything in my intellect telling me it can't be so. I fought most of my life against believing that - but I wasn't fighting a society or culture that told me I ought to - quite the opposite! I was fighting myself, because deep down I always did believe it, but was ashamed of it. Because culturally, socially and intellectually, I couldn't support it.

SolitaryWalker

Tenured roisterer
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
In my experience, it is true that ENPs are relatively in-tune with the external perceptions of themselves and people at large -- but merging with those perceptions? No way. Mocking it, maybe..

Extroversion is a mechanism that defines the inner being by external standards. Jung even went so far as to argue (highly plausibly) that the extroverted tendency, if undiluted will self-efface in process of adjusting to the external situation. We usually do not see this because our faculties are interlaced with one another on a manifold of levels. Or in other words, you just dont come across a pure Extroverted tendency, on some level its got to be inextricable from an introverted tendency.

Though is the element of extroversion conformist by definition? Yes it is.

Does this mean that because the ENPs are Extroverts, or have a letter E in their code they are by their nature conformists? No. For the sake of this point, it is best that we ditch the E/I dichotomy as used in MBTI in favor of something more accurately describing the case. What we have on one end of the spectrum is the tendency to orient around the external environment, and on the opposite the tendency to orient around the inner being.

Sensation strongly gravitates towards the latter because it by definition depends on the external world. Extroversion does to a degree as well. However, it should be pointed out that Intuitive Extroverts rely on the mind much more than their senses. Therefore less on their immediate external environment. Thus, for this reason we notice that the ENs are much more individualistic than the ISs.

Interestingly, a typical extrovert conformist will be compelled to pander to the whims of his audience, however, the EN will only do this as means to the end. If he does not have a sound inner being, his self-assessment will become corrupt and self-serving. He will look to win the praise of others not because he needs it like an ordinary conformist does, but to appease his own vanity. Just because it feels good.

Just speaking for myself: I am (generally) aware of how people perceive me, and I do manipulate it to my own ends..

This seems to reinforce my statement above.

But that is not something I get kicks out of -- the most I do is construct an eccentric albeit competent aura so that people will leave me the fuck alone and not be too shocked by whatever outlandish things I think appropriate to say or do (which are usually just bizarre social experiments I conduct to study other people). Maintaining this kind of image takes minimal effort...

Good, then you probably have developed your introverted side to a considerable extent.

Furthermore, unless a person is autistic or something, I don't think this is at all unique to ENPs. Most people, consciously or not, attempt to portray an image that suits their perceptions of themselves. Even you have a picture of freaking Spinoza as your avatar, no?...

Yes, that is the natural tendency of extroversion. The Extroverted Perception is different from Extroverted Judgment in the respect that it can joggle many masks at the same time, yet the Judgment is often tied down to one. Extroverted Intuition is more fluent than Extroverted Sensation because it does not get tied down to concrete, specific images. Thus, if very self-serving, the ENP can attain mastery of manipulating whatever images serve his purpose. They tend to excell as performers for this, among many other reasons, George Carlin is the case in point.

The ENFPs I've known have embraced extremely unpopular ideas because their inner conviction easily trumps their need to "entice the masses."?...

Yes, ENFPs with good introverted judgment.

Well, I can be sort of Machiavellian, but in general I just don't care enough to embrace something I don't care about just to impress or control people. In fact, I don't find that impressing people or controlling people is in any way something I'm motivated to do.."?...

Aha..

First of all, I hate orthodoxy. Second of all, I hate religion. I'm philosophically agnostic, but in practice an atheist. Third, I hate orthodoxy. And I flaunt this attitude as much as I can..."?...

ENs generally dont like orthodoxy, they(unhealthy ENs) just pretend to to see how much of a rise they can get out of people.

Like I said above, I probably flaunt this in part because it makes people think I'm weird enough that they just stop trying to properly socialize me... But also because I personally find it funny.

Furthermore, I'd much rather gain recognition by genuinely earning it, rather than simply manipulating preexisting social structures and duping people into believing I'm more important than I really am. In fact, this whole discussion that it is some kind of fundamental drive for ENPs to live off the recognition of others is extremely strange -- I don't really care, as long as I have the opportunity to do what I want. It's true that I portray myself in a certain way (like most other human beings), but I do it for the opposite reason of gaining recognition: I want to minimize the arbitrary social demands placed upon me so I can say and behave as I please without any expectations placed upon me. It's mostly about escaping human-constructed control...."?...

Genuinely earning it, escaping human control to pursue your own person. Pleasant to hear all of this. Thats some good marks of a sound introverted judgment that is so painfully wanting in the two ENPs described above.

I, personally, think you're vastly underestimating the Ne need to be free to follow their own creative impulses without society's harassment. In my experience, personal beliefs and ambitions are not secondary to making a contrived impact on society at large....."?...

Yes, Ne is individualistic in its own right because its in affinity with the mind, yet unfortunately, when unsupported by introverted judgment succumbs to the typical malady of an extrovert. Not as much as ESs, but considerably still.

And the idea of shirking beliefs in order to satisfy some vain need for attention and impact is one that I find extremely abhorrent, and the implication you make that this is something corollary to the ENP existence is somewhat insulting......"?...

Only to very unhealthy ENPs. Yet my point was also that this is something they could excell at based on their natural talents.

And none of this is out of line from the (admittedly few) ENPs I know.

I'd agree, the first one was somewhat of an anomaly, the second is beginning to take a turn for the better. (This is without a doubt connected to him having left his church recently).

Gabe

MBTI Type
ENTP
AdmiralBabe, I feel I must explain some things.

His rhetorical questions may have seemed to be rather offensive in the "I thought all black people loved fried chicken" sort of way, but they were open questions never the less. A simple "no" to his silly question would be fine.
As absurd as the pretense of his ideas may seem, he is being cordial and constructive about it. Your throwing profanities at someone is not the way to do things.

If what he was doing really was an attack and an insult, then be the better person. Two wrongs don't make a right. Your response was indeed much more inflammatory than anything he's said, and it could have caused escalation. Don't make matters worse.

I don't really suspect complaining about a situation where you were already deemed in the wrong is in your best interest.

I am quite familiar with how a lot of user feels about BlueWing, but don't let it get the better of you and don't let it derail the forum.

Actually, it is completely obvious that part of his intention is to piss people off.

Gabe

MBTI Type
ENTP
Extroversion is a mechanism that defines the inner being by external standards. Jung even went so far as to argue (highly plausibly) that the extroverted tendency, if undiluted will self-efface in process of adjusting to the external situation. We usually do not see this because our faculties are interlaced with one another on a manifold of levels. Or in other words, you just dont come across a pure Extroverted tendency, on some level its got to be inextricable from an introverted tendency.

Though is the element of extroversion conformist by definition? Yes it is.

Does this mean that because the ENPs are Extroverts, or have a letter E in their code they are by their nature conformists? No. For the sake of this point, it is best that we ditch the E/I dichotomy as used in MBTI in favor of something more accurately describing the case. What we have on one end of the spectrum is the tendency to orient around the external environment, and on the opposite the tendency to orient around the inner being.

Sensation strongly gravitates towards the latter because it by definition depends on the external world. Extroversion does to a degree as well. However, it should be pointed out that Intuitive Extroverts rely on the mind much more than their senses. Therefore less on their immediate external environment. Thus, for this reason we notice that the ENs are much more individualistic than the ISs.

Interestingly, a typical extrovert conformist will be compelled to pander to the whims of his audience, however, the EN will only do this as means to the end. If he does not have a sound inner being, his self-assessment will become corrupt and self-serving. He will look to win the praise of others not because he needs it like an ordinary conformist does, but to appease his own vanity. Just because it feels good.

This seems to reinforce my statement above.

Good, then you probably have developed your introverted side to a considerable extent.

Yes, that is the natural tendency of extroversion. The Extroverted Perception is different from Extroverted Judgment in the respect that it can joggle many masks at the same time, yet the Judgment is often tied down to one. Extroverted Intuition is more fluent than Extroverted Sensation because it does not get tied down to concrete, specific images. Thus, if very self-serving, the ENP can attain mastery of manipulating whatever images serve his purpose. They tend to excell as performers for this, among many other reasons, George Carlin is the case in point.

Yes, ENFPs with good introverted judgment.

Aha..

ENs generally dont like orthodoxy, they(unhealthy ENs) just pretend to to see how much of a rise they can get out of people.

Genuinely earning it, escaping human control to pursue your own person. Pleasant to hear all of this. Thats some good marks of a sound introverted judgment that is so painfully wanting in the two ENPs described above.

Yes, Ne is individualistic in its own right because its in affinity with the mind, yet unfortunately, when unsupported by introverted judgment succumbs to the typical malady of an extrovert. Not as much as ESs, but considerably still.

Only to very unhealthy ENPs. Yet my point was also that this is something they could excell at based on their natural talents.

I'd agree, the first one was somewhat of an anomaly, the second is beginning to take a turn for the better. (This is without a doubt connected to him having left his church recently).

Didn't I tell you before that people don't neccesarily (or even usually) go crazy through the dominant process? There is no real logic to that assumption and according to Beebe, it's an assumption not at all reflected in his clients.
Primitive or passive introverted judgement usually causes people to non-conform dogmatically, not anything at all like what you try to describe, and they usually non-corform for fun. This represents very well the actual example of a somewhat nutsy ENFP that I can think of: Clarence Darrow. He was wildly non-conformist, managing I think once to get to murderers aquitted basically on a "society's fault" premise. He never pandered, but he probably surrounded himself with only people who agreed with him.
The thing is, Wing, if you actually believe that stuff you wrote, you'd make an awful therapist!! Telling ENFP clients that they need to introvert would be horrible advice, basically telling them to embrace escapism and intensive egotistical feeling.
And why are EN_P's supposed to be doing this again? Oh, right because of thier 'vanity' (that you cooked up). Actually extraverted percieving alone is almost never concerned with its appearance.
Why can't you just admit that this idea is wrong. Even if you still think it's logical, it's obviously not supported in real life. Do you have it in for EN_P's or something?

Ezra

Luctor et emergo
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I notice that most of the ENP members I've exchanged words with on this site had dogmatic religious beliefs. In my life I've come across several ENPs who professed to be religious zealots. Yet, I certainly had doubts about the sincerity and of their claim.

I'm surprised. I would've expected this to be much more to do with something like Si (comfortability with the norm and with routine etc.), not Ne, which I would attribute to pure open-mindedness and possibility-considering. I'd expect Ne dominants and auxiliaries to be the most vehemently agnostic.

Tayshaun

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
In America, the president can stand up on TV and talk about doing God's will. If the British Prime Minister or the French president were to do that, they'd be laughed off stage; NOBODY would take them seriously. They just wouldn't do that at all. There's nothing in the culture here that'd support it.
:D

Yes, Sarkozy talking about doing God's will in a public address would not only make people snicker here, but would lead to an outpour of caustic headlines, to comments about Carla Bruni, and to the belief that the president has lost his mind. Even very conservative politicians could not to this.

Gabe

MBTI Type
ENTP
No, I didnt state anything like this, thats just your imagination playing tricks on you.

Huh, my posts had something to do with MBTI, people? You're trying to look for practical implications of highly theoretical claims that were not intended.

Psychological type was created for people, not for your personal entertainment. if you have an armchair theory that isn't true, why don't you just answer your own question instead of making hurtful remarks about a type?

Nocapszy

no clinkz 'til brooklyn
MBTI Type
ENTP

Kinda backwards aint' it?

I wouldn't worry about it -- the mods probably don't want you to leave, just to stop.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
... you Americans very frequently when talking about religion here, completely seem to discount the fact that religious climates in other parts of the world are NOT the same as in America, and that the reasons/encouragements/discouragements regarding religious belief are very different in say, the very secular Western Europe, to those in any part of the USA.

I do agree with that.

Here, people believe AGAINST the grain. And, not being taught belief or very much at all in any detail about faith at school, save a glancing textbook familiarity with the major world religions (I remember my English teacher banging her head against her desk when trying to get a bunch of 16 year olds to analyze a poem - nobody could even make a start on it because the minimum background knowledge needed to understand the poem was a basic familiarity with Old Testament stories - nobody in the class even knew the story of, say, Lot and his wife being turned to salt, or Samson and Delilah), most of us who do find faith, find it independently, through our own searching, often much to our own surprise.

I disagree with the first part. There is a helluva fight if anyone teaches religion in schools. And Bible knowledge has been out the window for a few decades here in the States. Teenagers are remarkably "dumber" about basic Bible knowledge than they used to be.

However, there's still a heavy cultural push if you happen to live in a conservative area to "be a good person" and "go to church" and "learn the stories/Bible" there. That is where the training usually occurs... enforced by the parents. And those kids are thus also then immersed in a sub-culture where they are usually forced to comply with "groupthink" or be told they're wrong, religiously. So independent thought is not encouraged; instead, kids are fed "the right answers" and taught not to stray.

We still do have a cultural holdover where "good people" go to church.... even if lots of people no longer go to church regularly. It was far more pronounced fifty years ago or so, when EVERYONE went to church whether they really believed or not or they'd suffer social criticism.

But not in the schools. No Christianity in the schools, as formal teaching, except for groups run by kids that meet before or after hours (such as the morning prayer circles).

redacted

again, i think bluewings points make a lot of sense if you're looking at ExTJs. religion seems like a great manipulative tool if you have a specific goal in mind.

i don't see how Ne would have anything to do with this claim, though... Ne dominants seem to want the freedom to make new connections, so why would they randomly tie themselves to religion?

unless they had some goal they absolutely needed to fulfill. but that's true with every type.

nemo

Enneagram
<3
Extroversion is a mechanism that defines the inner being by external standards. Jung even went so far as to argue (highly plausibly) that the extroverted tendency, if undiluted will self-efface in process of adjusting to the external situation.

This seems uselessly theoretical. I highly doubt that it's possible for a person to be purely extroverted like that, although maybe it's possible in some mental disorder.

Again, no. Nothing about the definition of Ne necessitates this sort of behavior provided there's an absence of a "sound inner being." It's a non-sequitur. Your argument that the "malady of an extrovert" requires one to define the inner world vis-a-vis the external perceptions of those around him fails to take into account the multitude of ways to passively assimilate that kind of information. In general, I'd agree that the definition of extroversion is the tendency to define the inner in terms of the outer world -- but in the absence of a control mechanism in the form of introverted judgment, the exact sort of behavior you'd expect would vary wildly from individual to individual. "The environment" around someone does not necessarily equal "the perceptions of other people", and you're missing the fact that there's a vast amount of shit in the environment to draw into your inner world.

You said elsewhere that "Extroverted Intuition is much concerned with making an impact on large groups of people." That premise is wrong. I think that's why Gabe, CaptainChick, and myself are so confused and slightly insulted by the suggestion.

If you press me on the topic, I'd actually argue that it's more typical for dominant extroverted intuitive to invariably follow possibilities that lead far outside of convention. And that even if some kind of "malady of an extrovert" exists, it would present itself in an Ne as someone who capriciously starts and abandons still-born projects to follow up on new possibilities that lead nowhere. Basically a hyper-inflated, uncontrolled version of extroverted intuition -- but again, I'm not even sure if such a person can exist in such a state for any amount of time.

I think at best your argument at best would work in a few mentally ill or vastly immature ENPs -- but even then, not always. In fact, I still don't see what necessitates this being an Ne trait over any other sort of extroverted function. I have no experience with ENPs gravitating to religion more than any other type -- and those who do seems to have motives that are beyond their psychological type.

Nocapszy

no clinkz 'til brooklyn
MBTI Type
ENTP
FINE. I'll respond to the OP (what a waste of time)
As for you, I can see that you think this is just a game, and I regret even thinking of apologizing to you.

:violin:

How many points do I get for that maneuver?

lazyhappy

My dear sir, are you telling me that you, an ENFP, do not much care to be admired by everyone? That you do not much care to easily get what you want from people at the snap of a finger? That you are not excited by the idea of having your audience believe everything you say without knowing what you're actually saying? That you are not interested in having others think of you to be as magnanimous as Yahweh himself, yet let yourself behave like the Pagan Gods? (Cough Bill Clinton, he was of your breed).

Quite steriotypical, huh? you are basing you assumptions off your own thoughts it seems. not all people of a type in the mbti are alike. every type differs in the percentage of each trait. The MBTI is a full of holes theory, and you are taking it far too seriously.

For example of how one type differs, you seem to have Ni as your first function followed by Te (or atleast seem to have those functions moreso then me), for you seem to conclude things quite quickley and judge. Of course, i seem to be judging now but you are categorizing a whole group of people where i am only categorizing you.

ThatsWhatHeSaid

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
I read some of your OP. Do you think the people we label as EN-P are religious zealots, or rather, that they simly look for relationships in concepts (Ne) and are expressive about their findings (E)? If that was the case, you would find that the people you label EN-P would be expressive about all conceptual frameworks that they've managed to organize life into. For most people, this happens to be religion only because that overarching structure is usually called a religious ideology. I've got my mental models that I carry with me; the deeper they get (Ne) the more I find overlap with Eastern religion and psychology (which is very similar to Eastern religions). If I'm feeling comfortable and extraverted, I might appear to be really zealous. Do I cling to my religion more than you cling to typology? Probably not.