• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Extraverted Value of Introverted Functions

ygolo

My termites win
For introverts, the value of their own extraverted functions is clear. The extraverted functions keep them alive. They are the means of dealing with reality.

Also, more broadly thinking, for anyone, extraverted functions are what keep the world functioning (it seems to me at least).

Of course, people can value their extraverted functions for other reasons, but one does not need to think for too long to see the value in extraverted functions.

But what about the introverted functions?

From an extravert's perspective, why would one value the introverted functions?

It is clear thet many extraverts do, but why do the value introverted functions?

More broadly thinking, how can introverted functions be useful/valued in the world at large?

heart

heart on fire
People need an inner life, inner integrity. A firm foundation for external life. jmo.

arcticangel02

To the top of the world
MBTI Type
eNFP

It is clear thet many extraverts do, but why do the value introverted functions?

More broadly thinking, how can introverted functions be useful/valued in the world at large?

Hmm.

I don't know how I can explain this, but for me, Fi gives things purpose. If it was just Ne directing me, that would be bizarre and irresponsible and goodness knows what else.

Fi gives me my inner identity, like heart said, a firm foundation. Sure, my mind might jump from place to place, but inside I know who I am, and that's based on how Fi sees the world...

Yeah, maybe the introverted functions are the solid, unchanging part of ourselves? I don't think extraverts could operate without an introverted function...

MetalWounds

More human than human
MBTI Type
TP
Enneagram
9w8
I value my Ti more than anything, even though my primary function is Ne. Ti just seems to give me the drive and decisiveness that life takes. I tend to not take anything seriously, but Ti seems to help me focus and turn into a more "productive" person.

substitute

MBTI Type
ENTP
For me, since my dominant function is a perceiving function, without my Ti I'd have no judgement, no way of deciding what to do with all the stuff I perceive. I'd have no centre, no inner life. I'd also have no basis for comparison for all the things I perceive. It's easy to get caught in an Ne loop and drive myself gradually insane by referencing only my current perceptions of/in the external world - it's only by using Ti that I break that loop and reference those perceptions with my inner self, my knowledge, my understanding and judgement, otherwise I'd be just swept along with the tide.

For an EJ, I would've thought the introverted perceiving function's value as a balancer to the extraverted judging would be clear: otherwise there'd be no questioning of their judgements and decisions and they'd be truly rigid, self-righteous, unable to accept challenge or criticism at all, if they weren't able to break out of the auto-judge tendency and reference their decisions against the things they know and understand and have seen before.

The value of introverted functions is just as obvious, I'd have thought... a person who has no inner life is shallow, not self-aware, has no opportunity for quality reflection over their actions and choices, or careful decision making.

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
To manifest one function outwardly, another gets pushed inward. Having an introverted axis allows us to use our energy on more than one function at a time. For instance, while I'm using Fe to relate to others, I can hold in mind a perspective or vision from Ni that guides Fe towards or away from something rather than just letting it always do what ever seems to be best for relating to people. Ti would probably be used periodically to more finely examine the nature of the ideas within my perspective and how they apply to the current situation (with the help of Se).

In other words, the Introverted functions give boundaries and direction to the Extraverted ones.

The_Liquid_Laser

Glowy Goopy Goodness
MBTI Type
ENTP
"The first and the best victory is to conquer self."
-Plato

A person cannot make good use of an extraverted function without an introverted function to support it (or vice versa). Introverted functions make a person grounded in who they are. I think a person would be shallow or materialistic without a developed introverted function, since their focus would always be on the external. In my case Ti keeps me from being a total flake. I'd never finish anything that I start without it, since I'd jump into every new idea I'd have without considering if the project is worth my time or it I'd be willing to finish what I started.

theshadow

MBTI Type
enfj
quite a few entp have responded to this so far. but I would say that without Ni. which I have come to realy quite heavily, you could probably describe me as shallow/ attention seeking.

I have met some "A FEW" very materialistic Esj's/ especially women "probably because I dont really approach men ;) " concerened very much if not only with social happenings:party2: "I love people".... which I would understand but, these girls seem to be looking for status....... which also means they are easy to get with. anyone can project status. :D

especially when your an ENFJ

redacted

i love my Ni and Ti. while they don't manifest directly in the outer world, they give me interesting things to say.

Ni helps my Fe see others' perspectives, allowing me to respond to each person differently.

Ti allows me to see how systems work, allowing me to take efficient actions, and to describe things concisely.

Fe by itself seems like it would be pretty lame.

theshadow

MBTI Type
enfj
Fe by itself seems like it would be pretty lame

.... lame?"reminds of of somthing cute and harmless......"

I certainly wouldnt describe it like that. but I think I see what you mean.

SolitaryWalker

Tenured roisterer
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
For introverts, the value of their own extraverted functions is clear. The extraverted functions keep them alive. They are the means of dealing with reality.

Also, more broadly thinking, for anyone, extraverted functions are what keep the world functioning (it seems to me at least).

Of course, people can value their extraverted functions for other reasons, but one does not need to think for too long to see the value in extraverted functions.

Jung commented on Extroverted Judgment that if it steers too far away in the direction of pure extroversion there will not be any thinking at all almost. The Thinking faculty will evaporate in the face of the external object.

Primarily extroversion is concerned with action, Introversion with contemplation. Yet not one single function possess either of the two elements in entirety, they are entwined and therefore intimately interlaced on a manifold of levels.

All functions stem from one root, the mind. That itself is a property of Introversion. The Thinking for example of Extroverted Thinking is an introverted quality. Yet the faculty of Extroverted Thinking does not comprise of only thinking, but also with the connection of thoughts to the external world.

Accordingly, an Extroverted minded thinker will value implementation more than contemplation. But in order to have something to implement, he must first think it through. This is where he turns to his introverted faculties. That is the need of the extrovert for introversion.

Introversion, as pointed out in the earlier posts of this thread has merits in its own right. As an extrovert who is unable to rely on his inner life will be shallow, materialistic and thoughtless. But this isnt where that ends. He wont even be competent in the external world because he will simply have no idea what to do. Unless of course he's had the good fortune of having others think for him, where he will execute all of their directives on auto-pilot.

misha vainberg

as is the general consensus, i value my introverted functions much more on a personal level than my extroverted functions. without the deep and spontaneous insights of ni i would lose the essence of my uniqueness, and be much more of a shallow person. ni allows me to process all the events that have occurred in my life and form my own worldview and philosophy from that. these are almost never evident on the outside, but i always spend time reflecting and evaluating things against this inner set of ideas i have. in the moment i may not seem like there is much purpose to my actions, but in the long term these values guide nearly all major decisions.

since i interact with the world mainly using fe, i need some way to evaluate people without just embracing every human being i meet and sharing my life story with them. dominant ni supported by ti makes evaluating people a subconscious, automatic process, in that i am perceptive to future implications of each interaction, can gage authencticity (although i should note, i often go against my intuition on this one and trust people anyway...which i very often regret :doh: ). i can pick up on how i am perceived by others very easily and manipulate these perceptions to some degree. it sounds worse than i think it really is, because it is just something i do automatically. i notice myself doing this more than i used too...and i am also better at it :devil:, but i am more aware of my inner direction as well as the implications of my actions, so i will be less likely to use this for nefarious purposes.