• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Which function more likely to land you in the Psych Ward: Ne or Ni?

Which function?

• Ne

Votes: 7 35.0%
  • Ni

Votes: 13 65.0%

• Total voters

mysavior

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IT
So,

I had this random thought pop into my head that folks with Ni as their dominant or secondary function go crazy before anyone else. This random thought was quickly challenged by another thought saying its the Ne, stuck on infinite possibility, that causes the screws to loosen.

Which one wins this showdown?

Tecla

MBTI Type
INTP
I've actually landed myself in a Psych ward for 8 days. It was definitely my Ne going haywire, some I'm going with Ne.

R

ReflecTcelfeR

Ne is a powerful beast. However Ni can be just as strong. I think Ni-er's tend to be more delusional. Ne's maybe more schizophrenic. All those ideas have a chance to trick you into believing you never thought them. Perhaps I am exaggerating though?

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Actually I think INxJs are very paranoid, have weird ideas about things, can be cautious to the point of avoidant, and buy into conspiracy theories.

On the other hand, ENxPs are probably most likely to be pegged as stark raving lunatics and get sent to the psych ward more quickly because they're more open about their crazy.

But just so you know, there are even bipolar ISTJs who talk to themselves and scare their families, so insanity is not the sole domain of Ns.

R

ReflecTcelfeR

Istj demensia would look weird. Perhaps they start envisioning the past and believe it's true because of the vividness of the feelings/memories.

Synapse

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
But just so you know, there are even bipolar ISTJs who talk to themselves and scare their families, so insanity is not the sole domain of Ns.

Of course it's not just add a little bit of lead, mercury and fluoride and walla recipe for insanity!

guesswho

MBTI Type
ENTP
Actually I think INxJs are very paranoid, have weird ideas about things, can be cautious to the point of avoidant, and buy into conspiracy theories.

I don't know many INTJs, but I did know this one guy, who was kind of peculiar so I made him take the MBTI test to be sure he is INTJ. He was paranoid as fuck. But not in the delusional way. He was paranoid about the little things. The social things.
If some guy would laugh he would automatically think he was laughing of him. If I would also laugh with that other guy he would ask me insistently why are we laughing of him...when we weren't.
He would not trust me even though he knew me a while.

It's weird because I am the opposite, I can be quite naive, not second guessing other people's intentions, as I don't really care about their intentions.

I think both Ne and Ni will land you in psych ward. You don't have to be an I to be a loooooooonatic, although I'm sure there are more Ne's in the psych ward, because they are way more common.

Lily flower

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
I never thought of myself as paranoid, but then I read this thread and thought about how I always worry that people are looking at the groceries in my cart and judging how healthy they are. I guess that's paranoia!

Lily flower

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
I think Ni makes you more actually crazy, but Ne is more likely to make other people think you are crazy.

Sunny Ghost

i've known eccentric people of both types... Ni and Ne.

i'd say they are different realms of crazy.

one's more paranoid--Ni.

the other more like the movie Pi--Ne.

Sunny Ghost

On the other hand, ENxPs are probably most likely to be pegged as stark raving lunatics and get sent to the psych ward more quickly because they're more open about their crazy.

i mean, really any type is just as capable of crazy.

refer back to thread about looping.

Sunny Ghost

I think Ni makes you more actually crazy, but Ne is more likely to make other people think you are crazy.
for the most part, i would agree...

however, one INFP i knew was fearing he was losing his mind for quite some time. he eventually came out of it, i suppose... and now i guess he's just looked at as being crazy.

Tamske

Writing...
MBTI Type
ENTP
If I ever get to the psych ward, it would be my Ni's fault. In general it's an okay function, balancing the crazy optimism of my Ne, warning the judging functions not to take on yet another big Ne project and thus helping me to finish some of them.
But when I'm stressed out, it seems my Ni knocks all other functions down and starts a monologue about how I'll always be a failure. This of course causes more stress, which makes the Ni even more prominent and even more pessimistic. Sometimes I can only break this destructive thought pattern with some help from other people.

My Ne, on the other hand... that one causes drawings, paintings and other (mostly unfinished) art projects to lie around in the house, not to mention a hundred little novel beginnings filling the hard disk... in short, it's the sort of crazyness which makes people laugh and shake their heads at the same time. Mostly harmless, as Ford Prefect (The hitch-hiker's guide to the galaxy, Douglas Adams) would say.

But that's for me, I don't know in general.

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Lily flower said:

hit the nail on the head :yes:

if anything lands me in a psych ward it's going to be Fi, not Ne. Ne gets me out of my messes :laugh:

sculpting

Both Ne doms can be neurotic as hell. ENFPs get all emo-y and the ENTPs, well they just do what they do.

I suspect ENFPs win though as we are like "OMG, LOOK HOW FUCKING CRAZY I FEEEEEEEEEEL????? My GOD SOMEBODY HELPPPPPPP MY SOUUUUUULLLLLL IS ALL SPEWING ONTO THEEEEEEE FLLOOOOOOR. THE PAAAAAAAIIIINNNNNNNN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" Then like an hour later, we go, "yeah so are you hungry, because I think a burger sounds good" and try and pretend that wasnt us.

Ni doms I suspect can be nuts but since they are quiet, folks just think they are odd and introverted. My INFJ grandmom totally thought alien abductions were real and that women had given births to wolf puppies and other odd things. My ENFP gamdmom just loved jesus a lot. It appears in old age, the crazy factor stabilizes a bit.

JFrombaugh

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

This.

I'm well aware that it's really difficult for some people to understand why certain things are so important to me. And I've been known to unintentionally worry or alienate people because of how I have a habit of internalizing my Fi's negative feelings for a period of time until I finally express them in a no holds barred manner. (*cough* when I've talked on this board about the aspects of WoW I don't like *cough*)

Which leads me to ask this: does anyone think Fi is more likely than either Ni or Ne to land you in the Psych Ward?

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Both Ne doms can be neurotic as hell. ENFPs get all emo-y and the ENTPs, well they just do what they do.

I suspect ENFPs win though as we are like "OMG, LOOK HOW FUCKING CRAZY I FEEEEEEEEEEL????? My GOD SOMEBODY HELPPPPPPP MY SOUUUUUULLLLLL IS ALL SPEWING ONTO THEEEEEEE FLLOOOOOOR. THE PAAAAAAAIIIINNNNNNNN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" Then like an hour later, we go, "yeah so are you hungry, because I think a burger sounds good" and try and pretend that wasnt us.

Oh my gosh, I do this. I identify with this so much.