• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Ne/Ni Conflicts

InvisibleJim

Permabanned
They are still looking for the Higgs boson, after all...

It's not that it's theoretical, it's that there isn't a shred of empirical evidence that they built the theory on in the first place

Oh dear, we aren't getting into a global 5 discussion are we? The sad truth is that measuring things with a ruler is not the optimum scheme for something as complex as the human brain. I believe you have mispoke regarding what is measurable and what is empirical.

Yes, there is no measurable evidence for N or S; because the brain is more complex, but there is empirical experience of these phenomona when considering the activities and cognitive reasoning of many individuals - sure analytical psychology is not an absolute fit to the brian, but that's okay. That's as empirical as it possible within a reasonable and acceptable margin of error. I don't need to 'touch' N or S or T or F to see and gauge their effects.

Its seems simple to me; there are empirical cognitive modes which people relate to. That is all that is neccessary. Sure, you can't track them back to neurons, but people do behave along cognitive style modes.

And yes, it's quite appropriate to think and expand into this depth because it opens us up to avenues that might help us to find better ways to evolve and manage these systems.

I respect your right to a different opinion; I just can't agree with what you have said when relating it to my own experience and understanding. I think this is my Te clashing with your Ti and how I'm happy to see the demarcation and accept the margin of error where you see an unacceptable error to approve of the system.

Eric B

ⒺⓉⒷ
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Originally Posted by onemoretime
>Bingo. My hunch is that intuition, subjectively, feels the same as sensation.

So you say we should throw out all N/S and T/F and change to just talk about Ji-Pe and Je-Pi pairs? Also that you can access all 8 functions when there are 4 functions with attitudes.
There was a time when I thought something like this (especially from reading Berens and Nardi and those influenced by them), and it looks like a more simple notation of a type by its defining two preferences. But then after seeing Lenore Thomson's take on things, I saw the standalone values of the original four dichotomies (and the general four functions).
If opposite functions in the same orientation seem so similar, then that is the common J/P distinction (J in the case of subjective perception) you are seeing.

onemoretime

Dreaming the life
MBTI Type
3h50
Oh dear, we aren't getting into a global 5 discussion are we? The sad truth is that measuring things with a ruler is not the optimum scheme for something as complex as the human brain. I believe you have mispoke regarding what is measurable and what is empirical.

Yes, there is no measurable evidence for N or S; because the brain is more complex, but there is empirical experience of these phenomona when considering the activities and cognitive reasoning of many individuals - sure analytical psychology is not an absolute fit to the brian, but that's okay. That's as empirical as it possible within a reasonable and acceptable margin of error. I don't need to 'touch' N or S or T or F to see and gauge their effects.

Its seems simple to me; there are empirical cognitive modes which people relate to. That is all that is neccessary. Sure, you can't track them back to neurons, but people do behave along cognitive style modes.

And yes, it's quite appropriate to think and expand into this depth because it opens us up to avenues that might help us to find better ways to evolve and manage these systems.

I respect your right to a different opinion; I just can't agree with what you have said when relating it to my own experience and understanding. I think this is my Te clashing with your Ti and how I'm happy to see the demarcation and accept the margin of error where you see an unacceptable error to approve of the system.

I get what you're saying here, and appreciate it, but I'm not quite sure you're getting what I am saying. It's simply because there is no objective, verifiable standard by which we can compare any of our hypotheses, that none of us have the authority to say someone's right, someone's wrong, etc. Thus, it betrays a bit of arrogance (of which I have been guilty at times) to even disagree on these points. Instead, it's much better to simply accept the other person's perspective, and rather than judge whether it is right or wrong, true or false, determine whether it is useful to your understanding of the mind or not.

That's all I'm saying.

InvisibleJim

Permabanned
I get what you're saying here, and appreciate it, but I'm not quite sure you're getting what I am saying. It's simply because there is no objective, verifiable standard by which we can compare any of our hypotheses, that none of us have the authority to say someone's right, someone's wrong, etc. Thus, it betrays a bit of arrogance (of which I have been guilty at times) to even disagree on these points. Instead, it's much better to simply accept the other person's perspective, and rather than judge whether it is right or wrong, true or false, determine whether it is useful to your understanding of the mind or not.

That's all I'm saying.

It doesn't display arrogance if you are weighing your own experiences against another's point of view and more than that finding a fully explainable logical flaw which they don't seem to realise is there: that's just rational common sense.

I'm not saying you are 100% wrong; I am saying I disagree with the axioms/methodology you've applied to reach your conclusions. I'm not going to default to agree if I disagree; and therefore yes, I do reserve the right to have an opinion on what is 'mostly right' versus 'mostly wrong'; whether you have enough confidence in your own model is your right also and I respect it.

I expect people to challenge me when I post, I'm more disappointed when they don't.

We have reached a contextual impasse. I'll return when there is new information to discuss.

onemoretime

Dreaming the life
MBTI Type
3h50
It doesn't display arrogance if you are weighing your own experiences against another's point of view and more than that finding a fully explainable logical flaw which they don't seem to realise is there: that's just rational common sense.

Nope. At that point, you're essentially saying that your subjective experiences were more valid, and your logical process more correct, than the other person. Without any objective evidence to back that assertion up, that's entirely irrational. It's the height of arrogance.

I'm not saying you are 100% wrong; I am saying I disagree with the axioms/methodology you've applied to reach your conclusions. I'm not going to default to agree if I disagree; and therefore yes, I do reserve the right to have an opinion on what is 'mostly right' versus 'mostly wrong'; whether you have enough confidence in your own model is your right also and I respect it.

Then talk about the methodology - don't just say it's wrong! Point out, "I see this logical flaw there, because this should lead to that." That at least affords me the respect of permitting me to defend my logic in that situation. "Mostly right" vs. "mostly wrong" doesn't matter, because all it takes is one piece of evidence to shift "mostly right" to "entirely wrong." Until that evidence surfaces, the best we can come up with is "explains things best to me" vs. "doesn't explain things well to me."

I expect people to challenge me when I post, I'm more disappointed when they don't.

We have reached a contextual impasse. I'll return when there is new information to discuss.

Sorry, man. I think both of us can have valid perceptions of this material. I'd rather discuss the differences in those perceptions, and come to a better mutual understanding through that working process, than try to disprove something that's unfalsifiable.

sculpting

time-

the next time you are in a discussion with a Te dom, watch for something. When they state an assertion, watch what they do with the vocal tone ...and then watch their face really closely. The vocal tone should be "This is THAT". Even written it sounds like "This is THAT". However watch their eyes-they seem to be then looking up, making eye contact for a second before moving on. They are looking to the other person and hesitating just for a second-like they seek disagreement-an unspoken, nonvocalized "right? Does that sound right to you?". They ask a question with their eyes by lifting them up and looking at you. It is kinda a cool Te thing I noticed the other day but I still need more data to see if it is widespread.

In general I support what you are saying though...(I hear you saying that) Our own innate cognitive modes will screw up our analysis of a highly subjective area of study. (Right?) :) Your NeTi is such a delight however. I can totally see where you are going, but you can find all the broken stuff linkages that I miss with Ti. Like we are walking on the same path but you look left and I look right and we can then share what we see, even if we can never actually see it ourselves.

From observations I have made, most NiTe folks seem to recognize the term "context shift" even if it is a simplification as being a valid descriptor. The more developed their Te, perhaps the easier it is to isolate the "contexts"? I really have no idea. INFJs seem to be resistant to the concept of isolated contexts and instead describe a "swirl" or "constant shifting". This is just a compilation of observations of what I have seen ni doms say, just a pattern, so I leave the issue to the Ni doms. Perhaps the more Te you have, the easier it is to internally structure the contexts? I dunno.

Kalach

Filthy Apes!
MBTI Type
INTJ
Oh you extroverts..

still with the subjective must be objective line, huh? You can get over it if you try. You can even get over it using your own ideas! Namely, if Ni trades in archetypes, what use is objective data? No, really, what use?

Oh yeah, objective data sets a context in which archetypes can be deployed to uncover truths. A framework, if you will. A scene that is available for reinterpretation. Just like with extroverted perception. Can you understand it now? Huh? Can ya? Or were you still thinking that objective data is logically and perceptually prior to introverted anythings?

Faak.

There's no smiley that comes up when you type :retardz:?

InvisibleJim

Permabanned
Nope. At that point, you're essentially saying that your subjective experiences were more valid, and your logical process more correct, than the other person. Without any objective evidence to back that assertion up, that's entirely irrational. It's the height of arrogance.

Then talk about the methodology - don't just say it's wrong! Point out, "I see this logical flaw there, because this should lead to that." That at least affords me the respect of permitting me to defend my logic in that situation. "Mostly right" vs. "mostly wrong" doesn't matter, because all it takes is one piece of evidence to shift "mostly right" to "entirely wrong." Until that evidence surfaces, the best we can come up with is "explains things best to me" vs. "doesn't explain things well to me."

Sorry, man. I think both of us can have valid perceptions of this material. I'd rather discuss the differences in those perceptions, and come to a better mutual understanding through that working process, than try to disprove something that's unfalsifiable.

I couldn't disagree more. That's the difference between Te and Ti; Te loves empiricism and I see it as empirical and therefore right. You complained there is no empirical evidence and now have changed your mind to state that it's not objective empirical evidence. In actual fact an extroverted view is always objective by definition it sense checks against external factors. An introverted cognitive process is subjective by definition and doesn't integrate those external factors automatically. Your inconsistent viewpoint is wearing thin and starting to lack any sort of coherent structure; reach outside your fixed internal monologue and seek advancement by integrate more advanced ideas and intuitions.

The reason I disagree is that I experienced your mode of intuitive alignment months ago. The only way past that was to go right back to psychological types and realise that intuition is a discrete function regardless of it's introverted or extroverted attitude - similar to sensing, thinking or feeling (ethics).

You'll find that once you integrate this idea into your model that the confusion regarding N and S disappears in a very succinct way; moreover it makes a rather tidy bridge between Jung, MBTI (not the perverted internet typology board flavour) and Socionics and it all falls into place.

You are complaining regarding arrogance. You should ask yourself, am I perceiving arrogance? Yes you are, but it's not my problem, you should resolve to improve your understanding instead of complaining that everyone who has run farther than you in the marathon should have their hamstrings cut.

Yes, Ji gets emotional when it is challenged and you are turning your own emotionality into a reason to deny plurality; something that aggrieves my Ji greatly. Yes, I have challenged your Ji, because that's exactly what Je does; but it's not intended to offend - my Te is just saying, are you really sure that 4 + 4 = 8.1 just to improve the body of understanding we have in common.

You are onto something; but you are barking up the wrong tree because you have misunderstood the fundamentals in your system - go back and reinterpret the starting point and you will have a more complete system than you currently enjoy.

onemoretime

Dreaming the life
MBTI Type
3h50
I could just as easily interpret that as you being confused as to what you were finding, and retreating back into a safe harbor. Dogma is going to get you nowhere in this discussion.

Kalach

Filthy Apes!
MBTI Type
INTJ
^ only if introverts are best defined as failed extroverts.

Everyone is going to have to get over their distaste for subjectivity. Introverts, hear me! Your processing is largely subjective. This is not a flaw. You are good at it. What you produce is real.

Extroverts, get over yourselves. You use subjective processing too. If you keep insisting on objectivity, you're playing directly into your own biases and harming your future ability. Do you, for instance, wish to say that introverted judgment is failed extroverted judgment? That you might in fact wish to say this does explain a lot of the stupid things you do, but you arrived at some such behavior via bias, not by adequate conceptualisation.

Now, as is well known to all, people with extroverted intuition in a dominant role are fully capable of performing other people's functions. Why, both ENTPs and ENFPs routinely report spending some part of their youth as INTJs and INFJs respectively. So, extroverts, recall your immature selves, reignite your ability to conceptualise without suffering to be beholden to the world as it happens. Conceptualise what subjectivity really is.

Good luck.

onemoretime

Dreaming the life
MBTI Type
3h50
^ only if introverts are best defined as failed extroverts.

Everyone is going to have to get over their distaste for subjectivity. Introverts, hear me! Your processing is largely subjective. This is not a flaw. You are good at it. What you produce is real.

Extroverts, get over yourselves. You use subjective processing too. If you keep insisting on objectivity, you're playing directly into your own biases and harming your future ability. Do you, for instance, wish to say that introverted judgment is failed extroverted judgment? That you might in fact wish to say this does explain a lot of the stupid things you do, but you arrived at some such behavior via bias, not by adequate conceptualisation.

Now, as is well known to all, people with extroverted intuition in a dominant role are fully capable of performing other people's functions. Why, both ENTPs and ENFPs routinely report spending some part of their youth as INTJs and INFJs respectively. So, extroverts, recall your immature selves, reignite your ability to conceptualise without suffering to be beholden to the world as it happens. Conceptualise what subjectivity really is.

Good luck.

If you prefer to hide within your subjectivity, then remain comfortable with forever being misunderstood. :)

B

brainheart

Would this be an example of Ni vs Ne? It drives me bonkers when people stray like mad from the OP, and the OP never gets a proper answer. I don't post things to provide an outlet for people's ramblings; I post things to get answers or to ideally give them. (Unless it's an obviously messed up OP in the first place; then it's perfectly acceptable to go off on tangents.)

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Really, forever?

Oh no.

Glad you're comfortable with it. It must be lonely from time to time, though.

:offtopic:

Ahem.

Ni focuses on how to create a specific, possible future outcome over time, while Ne focuses on where immediate opportunities will lead in the near future.

That's the core of the conflict... why are we getting caught up in dismissing one another's ideas in a manner that does not lead to constructive conversation?

Kalach

Filthy Apes!
MBTI Type
INTJ
The answer's been given a few times already but doesn't seem to stick.

Wild guess, and this is really disappointing if true: people don't see past personal identity. It's like, the simplest truth of Jungian theory, that foundational structures in your personal identity determine elements of reality that to you are necessary even as to others they are contingent. Like, the necessity of extroverting a particular kind of attention. Or like the necessity of distinguishing a particular inner world from the outer world.

Also the Ne users started it. They won't explain why objectivity is necessary.

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
The answer's been given a few times already but doesn't seem to stick.

Wild guess, and this is really disappointing if true: people don't see past personal identity. It's like, the simplest truth of Jungian theory, that foundational structures in your personal identity determine elements of reality that to you are necessary even as to others they are contingent. Like, the necessity of extroverting a particular kind of attention. Or like the necessity of distinguishing a particular inner world from the outer world.

That could be true... but I like to think that can be overcome to some extent if the person is open-minded and willing to question themselves.

Also the Ne users started it. They won't explain why objectivity is necessary.

Speaking of which, I have something to say about that idea of "objectivity."

I would disagree that Ne is an objective function. The most "objective" functions, if you will, are Se and Te. Both of them only work with and analyze data that's obviously right in front of them. You can't get much more objective than that.

But Intuition is inherently subjective. Even in Extraverted form, it still basically projects patterns generated by the mind onto the world around it. Those patterns do not reflect reality, but only assumptions about reality that may or may not be correct. Ni is not completely subjective in a way that Ne is not, it still gets the data it starts with from the outer world. The difference is that, after getting the data... Ni turns its attention inward, and looks at the pattern that has been called up. Examines the assumptions that have been made, and perhaps tries to look at all the different assumptions that could be made, seeing how those would change the pattern. Then, it can also extend the pattern into the future, branching out at various points when there are multiple possibilities.

Ne, on the other hand, just looks at the patterns that are generated, as they are generated, and either acts on them or discards them. The patterns are basically treated like reality, and trusted. Any analysis of how the pattern arose, or what assumptions they are based on, will be conducted by Ti or Fi, because that process requires an Introverted function.

Also, claiming that NPs are more objective because their Intuition is more focused on the object may be technically correct, but it doesn't mean the same thing as "objective" in the sense of being unbiased or clear. In that same sense, you would also have to say that SPs were more objective than SJs. Sure, they're more attuned to the object, they might be reacting to data that's available right now... but SJs are usually better prepared for the future, and tend to make better decisions in the long run! Also, SJs do focus on the present, they just respond to it in terms of how it relates to the past that they've experienced, and don't trust/respond to the new data immediately. It's not as though SJs don't take in new information.

And the same thing applies to Ni/Ne... Ni users don't trust or respond to new patterns immediately, just like Si users don't trust or respond to new sensory data immediately. This would make them "subjective" because they are primarily turned towards the subject, even though this doesn't mean that they're closed to outside data. They just focus on the internal impact and meaning of the information, rather than the external manifestation of it.

Se users and Ne users DO trust and respond to new data and patterns immediately, however. This would make them "objective" because they are primarily turned towards the object, even though this doesn't mean they are objective in the sense of having no biases or assumptions. They focus on what is manifesting in front of them, and how to respond to it, rather than on what it means or how it impacts them.

I have not been able to follow OMTs argument well, because he keeps making assumptions that contradict one another. My Ni cannot handle this well (nor can my Ti), even if the contradictions seem expedient in dealing with the external data. If he is saying that my inability to accept conflicting assumptions within the same context is a flaw that prevents me from responding to reality in the most advantageous way possible at a particular moment, particularly from a social perspective, or in terms of expressing my ideas to others... he might be right. But that doesn't mean he has the clearest picture of what's going on. I don't see where he's getting that from.

Kalach

Filthy Apes!
MBTI Type
INTJ
But Intuition is inherently subjective. Even in Extraverted form, it still basically projects patterns generated by the mind onto the world around it. Those patterns do not reflect reality, but only assumptions about reality that may or may not be correct.

Yars, this is the interesting point, the one I'm hoping to have light shed on. Where do the patterns come from? I believe objectivity plays a part in that over time what patterns get generated do... um, "reflect the world"?

It seems to me that common to both intuitions is a measure of abstraction. (This might well be incredibly "Duh!" but let's move on.) Ne abstractions cling to the world in some way? The best understanding I can come up with is, it's like Se but abstract. But what is this abstraction? What do they see? Connections to other abstraction seen before? And yes, if it is personalised--as in, two Ne users won't necessarily observe the same potential in the same environment--then where does it come from?

It's interesting that two Ni people won't necessarily--probably even emphatically won't--build up the same cognitive content, but probably will be able to communicate it to one another. And probably this is true for two Ne people too. In the same environment they may not get the same read, but they'll be able to communicate their read to one another. Won't they?

Will different Ne people ever radically disagree on a read of a given environment? Is that even a suitable question?

onemoretime

Dreaming the life
MBTI Type
3h50
Will different Ne people ever radically disagree on a read of a given environment? Is that even a suitable question?

Why do you think we like to argue so damn much?

I have not been able to follow OMTs argument well, because he keeps making assumptions that contradict one another. My Ni cannot handle this well (nor can my Ti), even if the contradictions seem expedient in dealing with the external data. If he is saying that my inability to accept conflicting assumptions within the same context is a flaw that prevents me from responding to reality in the most advantageous way possible at a particular moment, particularly from a social perspective, or in terms of expressing my ideas to others... he might be right. But that doesn't mean he has the clearest picture of what's going on. I don't see where he's getting that from.

Athenian, You can always ask me about specific points if you think I'm contradicting myself. I very well might be, and simply overlooked it. That would be very helpful.

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
lol u guys still gong on with this. just agree that you wont agree on this, i have seen this way too many times and i know this will never stop unless you stop it.