• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Ne/Ni Conflicts

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I just realized recently the potential for conflict between Ne and Ni. To be honest, it's not something that I've thought much about as I've always believed I get along rather well with people that have a strong preference for Ne (INTP, ENFPs for example).

Uumlau wrote:

Ne and Ni will see each other as myopic. If you don't think so, you need to go debate an INTP long enough until you both believe the other completely clueless. :devil:

Ne goes for breadth, Ni goes for depth. Ne goes for everything possible in the now, Ni goes for everything possible in the future. Each will see the other as ignoring huge sets of possibility.

Oro is seeing it as short-sighted, because Ne sees this huge landscape that Ni very often misses. Similarly, Ni sees possibilities and options that Ne often misses, because Ne is thinking "space-like" while Ni is thinking "time-like".

So, I'm a bit disappointed to be thought of as myopic but nonetheless intrigued by all of this. :)

What do you think about it? What kinds of conflicts do you see that you would attribute to a difference in a preference for Ne vs Ni? Why are they important to understand?

Sunny Ghost

hmmm... i could see this... and though i'm not an Ni-dom, i think i've had this run in with an Ne-dom.

where the Ne-dom was piecing together meanings of what they could gather from mundane details in the everyday...

i was a bit more cynical, but looking towards the future and how one could truly make an impact.

this particular Ne-dom kept seeing impending doom, an apocalypse... i saw a world in possible peril due to it's wasteful lifestyle. he reached for religion and meditation--cleansing the spirit, i reached more for becoming more aware of my carbon footprint.

i'm still trying to understand the differences of Ni and Ne, so please explain if i have made a misunderstanding here. :)

G

Glycerine

yes, I see that as a much bigger of a problem than Fe-Fi for me. I have noticed this initial clash between me and ENFPs. If I don't explain myself to the last detail, the Ne user thinks that I am completely dense w/o any sense of humor. I will expand upon it later.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
The only problem I could see is that INxJs might see ENxPs as crazy, and ENxPs might see INxJs as overly cautious, paranoid, or uptight.

But overall I get along with other Ns, not matter if they have Ne or Ni...I don't see this as a conflict. I tend to have more little stupid conflicts with NTPs than NTJs, even though I'm probably an ENFP.

Ne and Ni don't make much of a difference to me, and that might be because I usually score both in my top three functions.

Kasper

Diabolical
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I find they complement each other, as a Ne-dom with a Ni-dom sister I feel we can add different perspectives in terms of "possibilities" and neither is short-sighted.

rav3n

Get into a relationship with an INTP and have a fight or two. It's like nothing you've ever experienced before. Imagine Godzilla arguing in Japanese about how best to roast coffee while you're talking about feelings!

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I am greatly entertained by Ne. I score high in both, but it might be difficult to have a Ne-dom employer. I might feel a bit out of focus and like things were too unpredictable.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Get into a relationship with an INTP and have a fight or two. It's like nothing you've ever experienced before. Imagine Godzilla arguing in Japanese about how best to roast coffee while you're talking about feelings!

I doubt that's about Ne and Ni...

R

ReflecTcelfeR

Hm. I have no experience with this that I know of, I can't think of any. I usually end up getting along with Ni because I like taking all the ideas and connections that Ne finds and Ti-ing the hell out of them to get to a logical conclusion of how something would end.

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
This is what I think some of the differences are:

Ne

Objective, reality oriented
Possibilities
Dispersed
Short term

Ni
Subjective, meaning oriented
Answers
Focused
Long term

As Uumlau said, I think the Ti vs Te preference is also a big part of this too.

Wait - but does this mean that much of the Fe/Fi debate isn't about those two functions at all? It's about other differences?

Above is what I wrote in that other thread about the key differences.

yes, I see that as a much bigger of a problem than Fe-Fi for me. I have noticed this initial clash between me and ENFPs. If I don't explain myself to the last detail, the Ne user thinks that I am completely dense w/o any sense of humor. I will expand upon it later.

Would like to hear this!

The only problem I could see is that INxJs might see ENxPs as crazy, and ENxPs might see INxJs as overly cautious, paranoid, or uptight.

But overall I get along with other Ns, not matter if they have Ne or Ni...I don't see this as a conflict. I tend to have more little stupid conflicts with NTPs than NTJs, even though I'm probably an ENFP.

Ne and Ni don't make much of a difference to me, and that might be because I usually score both in my top three functions.

Good. Why do you think NTJs may be overly cautious, paranoid or uptight? That is, do you have a story to relate that illustrates it? I imagine it is not only Ne types that can feel this way. Had a little experience/discussion about "toaster safety" over the holidays :biggrin:

Such Irony

Honor Thy Inferior
MBTI Type
INtp
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I sometimes run into conflicts with those who are sure they can predict something in the future and are so certain they know exactly how it's going to turn out. I'm more likely to brainstorm a bunch of possible scenarios that I then assign a rough probability to without having the sense of sureness that this is what will happen.

Today I was trying to help someone with a computer problem at work. I didn't know for sure exactly how to fix it but I came up with a few possible ideas in my head. So I say something like, "well it might be this." Let's try fixing this and see what happens. The customer was not satisfied with that. She wanted to know for sure whether or not that would work and didn't seem satisfied when I said, I'm not sure but maybe. That may not be the best example because I could totally see an SJ type reacting that way as well.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
It has to do with Ne/Ni AND Fe/Fi.

When I'm talking about feelings and the other person seems to be...talking about something else...or...being vague and abstract...I presume that's about me having more F and them having more T and trying to avoid the F conversation.

It's what came to my mind when you said they were arguing about roasting coffee in Japanese while you were talking about feelings.

Kasper

Diabolical
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
It has to do with Ne/Ni AND Fe/Fi.

Precisadoodle! Fe/Fi again. I find myself more frustrated by xNFPs than xNFJs in terms of "seeing possibilities" the shared Ne doesn't help.

rav3n

When I'm talking about feelings and the other person seems to be...talking about something else...or...being vague and abstract...I presume that's about me having more F and them having more T and trying to avoid the F conversation.

It's what came to my mind when you said they were arguing about roasting coffee in Japanese while you were talking about feelings.
My post was an exaggeration of the differences in perspectives of how each approaches an argument. Ne trips madly with Fe. Ni focuses with Fi.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Good. Why do you think NTJs may be overly cautious, paranoid or uptight? That is, do you have a story to relate that illustrates it? I imagine is is not only Ne types that can feel this way. Had a little experience/discussion about "toaster safety" over the holidays :biggrin:

It's not just INTJs, it's INFJs too. I can sometimes feel like they're giving a paranoid litany of ridiculous reasons not to do something (even really smart ones I respect). They seem more shut down and closed off.

And I feel that they see me as being REALLY OPEN and possibly a little crazy or slightly dangerous. But I'm not. IRL I'm one of the saner people I know. I'm just open and show my feelings and take risks, sometimes. I do weigh those risks out, though, to a point that I think is sensible. I sometimes think INxJs go beyond "sensible" into "avoidant."

Not all of them, mind you.

rav3n

Precisadoodle! Fe/Fi again. I find myself more frustrated by xNFPs than xNFJs in terms of "seeing possibilities" the shared Ne doesn't help.
It really depends on how Ne and Ni interacts with the other processes that each have. When negative, the Ne-Fe and Ni-Fi combination is crazy. When positive, it's still crazy but in a very good way.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx

Yep, I am more annoyed by NTPs than NTJs. I don't know why. They just get under my skin, and I've had people tell me that it's tertiary or inferior Fe. Funny thing is, I don't seem to mind Fe in NFJs as much, but maybe they're more skilled with it and therefore use it artfully. I don't know.

G

Glycerine

I somewhat clash a little w/ Ne because I am the only Ni user in my immediate family so there is the occasional rift here and there. For example, I will have things all planned out in my head and my mom or someone will bring up different things I should consider and will change the plan which usually leads to the same outcome. Many times, I am thinking "DUH, I ALREADY THOUGHT OF THAT...."

"Pitseleh, you should do this because...." Me: If I truly cared, I would have thought to do that.

On the flipside, I will try to force one course of action and the Ne user puts me on a better path.

Kasper

Diabolical
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
It really depends on how Ne and Ni interacts with the other processes that each have. When negative, the Ne-Fe and Ni-Fi combination is crazy. When positive, it's still crazy but in a very good way.

Sure, thing is Ni isn't something that has consistently caused barriers or suspected blind spots to me in viewing possibilities, it's the one function where extroverted or introverted I gel with fine, it's the other functions, like you say, that the Ne/Ni user accesses that seems to determine if there will be issues with how "short-sighted" I think someone with different preferences is. This is where ENTP/INFJ, ENFP/INTJ, ENTJ/INFP, ENFJ/INTP combos seem to click more often than not, Ne/Ni differences can be complementary whereas Fe-Te/Fi-Ti ones are not always so great.