• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Ne/Ni Conflicts

freeeekyyy

Cheeseburgers
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
When there's a problem, Ne immediately springs into action, trying to solve it with whatever is at hand and available. I can't say for sure how Ni does it, but I would imagine that this would seem much too hasty.

Not only does it seem too hasty, it's not really even possible. Ni can't come up with an immediate solution. It just doesn't work, unless it's a problem that's been encountered before. IJs of all kinds are not exactly quick movers.

onemoretime

Dreaming the life
MBTI Type
3h50
Ne people, I have some questions...

What is the difference between a connection made/ pattern "seen" with your preferred judging function, vs. Ne? My guess is that the Ne connection is subconscious, instantaneous (Ji is more methodical and could never be as fast, right?), and sometimes so "out there" that you are surprised your brain made the connection. It feels like it came out of nowhere. Is this true?

In the same vein... can you "check over" your Ne connection with Ji and follow Ne's "reasoning" despite skipped or nonexistent steps? If it doesn't "make sense" to Ji, do you reject it?

Do you have a hard time believing that the connections you see aren't inherent in reality, but are merely products of your mind? (ie. can you easily differentiate between what is real and what is a product of your mind ... and do you think the connections you see are indeed in reality or just in your mind)

Sorry if the above is unclear. I think I sound like I'm trying to argue or start shit but I'm not. I don't mean any harm. Thanks.

You've got it right, essentially. However, usually you can differentiate between what's real and what's just in your head... but you always wonder...

A

A window to the soul

Do you have a hard time believing that the connections you see aren't inherent in reality, but are merely products of your mind? (ie. can you easily differentiate between what is real and what is a product of your mind ... and do you think the connections you see are indeed in reality or just in your mind)

For me, it's more flexible than that. I am open to reality. Sure I'll throw in my own impressions to fill in the gaps, but I believe those are all subject to change. I identify with this proposed definition of Ne from Lenore Thomson (Author of Personality Type: An Owner's Manual):
Extraverted Intuition (Ne) is the attitude that the unknown is filled with wonderful things. To make use of them, you must be flexible in your goals. If you try to set things up so that only something known to be good can happen, you close your eyes to the zillions of opportunities that you can't know or define in terms of what you know now. As more of the unknown becomes clear, the more it changes your understanding of the (currently) known.

To live, then, you need to continuously welcome the unknown, by always being ready to adjust in unanticipatable ways. What seems like a mistake is not a mistake when viewed in a larger pattern--and it's your job to find that larger pattern.

(Compare Introverted Sensation, which leads to the exact opposite attitude toward the unknown. Ne says to anchor yourself nowhere, so you can continuously adapt to exploit unknown opportunities; Si says to anchor yourself firmly to what matters regardless of change, in order to keep out the unknown and its attendant, unknowable risks.)

Thisica

MBTI Type
NiTe
Enneagram
5w4
And that meaning arises during the moment of looking at things and events as they unfold or later during reflection?

Ni dances with your mother.

Tricky, huh? Can't it be the case that we can find meaning both during perception and then afterward [but not both at the same time]?

"Ni dances with your mother"

:huh:

Jaguar

"Ni dances with your mother"

:huh:

Oh, allow me to assist.
Kalach has a mother complex.

That means you will get any of the following in a post:

Yo mama
Yo mamma
Yo Mama
Yo Mamma
Your mother
Your Mother
mother*ucker
Mother*ucker

One cannot be sure if he will use capital letters or hyphens.
We must plan ahead for life's little emergencies.

:wink:

Thisica

MBTI Type
NiTe
Enneagram
5w4
Oh, allow me to assist.
Kalach has a mother complex.

That means you will get any of the following in a post:

Yo mama
Yo mamma
Yo Mama
Yo Mamma
Your mother
Your Mother
mother*ucker
Mother*ucker

One cannot be sure if he will use capital letters or hyphens.
We must plan ahead for life's little emergencies.

:wink:

I suppose that Kalach has what I call a verbal tic. A Freudian slip, perhaps? [But I'm skeptical of Freud's ideas.]

Kalach

Filthy Apes!
MBTI Type
INTJ
I'm sure it was something substantial. Wait one while I compose an elaborate and telling explanation. Meanwhile...

Ni swims where a Titanic can only fly.

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I suppose that Kalach has what I call a verbal tic. A Freudian slip, perhaps? [But I'm skeptical of Freud's ideas.]

freudian_slip.jpg

sexy, kalach

Thisica

MBTI Type
NiTe
Enneagram
5w4
I'm sure it was something substantial. Wait one while I compose an elaborate and telling explanation. Meanwhile...

Ni swims where a Titanic can only fly.

Ok...so what? No one can relate to what you're saying, unfortunately :(

Thisica

MBTI Type
NiTe
Enneagram
5w4
I don't think mature INTJs really have that problem, but some of the younger ones certainly do. If you visit INTJforum, you'll see very many INTJs who absolutely refuse to acknowledge anything which isn't part of their "personal understanding."

So based on what I have typed to date, do you think I'm mature?

freeeekyyy

Cheeseburgers
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
So based on what I have typed to date, do you think I'm mature?

1. I don't know.
2. I'm referring to cognitive maturity. Te and Se temper the "head in the clouds" tendencies...

PH.

MBTI Type
INTP
I haven't read the whole thread.

Sounds like..
Ne = visual spatial thinking
Ni = linear thinking

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I haven't read the whole thread.

Sounds like..
Ne = visual spatial thinking
Ni = linear thinking

i think visual-spatial is extremely apt, at least for me. but it's symbolic visual-spatial. i am actually great at parking, but i can't say it applies to all Se areas
:laugh:

i actually thought i had mild synaesthesia for a while, but i'm fairly sure i just have extremely strong visual connections. one of the criteria for it is that one's associations withstand long periods of time, and that's what made me think i was. but i don't immediately perceive the associations in tandem. the associations follow the sensation, albeit extremely rapidly.

a primary difference to me is that Ni narrows and Ne expands.

but it's funny because Ni "distills" and Ne "unites", and yet due to something ("truth"?) we often end up coming to the same end conclusions.