• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Not finishing sentences.

xisnotx

Permabanned
I have a tendency to be saying something and then suddenly stop. My family hates this. I'm wondering if this has anything to do with mbti type. Typically the reason I stop is because I just realized something and I want to think about the implications of that thing more. It also happens when I've just been presented with new information. Lots of questions pop up in my mind and I only get to voice some of the questions partially before moving on to the next question.

What cognitive process does this sound like? Which types (if any) are prone to this?

Lily flower

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
My mother does that - I believe she is ISFJ. I always thought it was because she assumed that we knew what the end of her sentence was going to be.

stalemate

Post-Humorously
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
My ESFJ wife does this constantly. Over the years I have developed an ability to push things onto my mental stack and at the end of a conversation I pop them off as we work backwards through the conversation and I ask her to tie up the loose ends. :p

R

ReflecTcelfeR

I usually complete my sentences. I can't recall of an instance where I don't.

Arclight

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
OH My God!! I do this all the time.. One thing I foun......

Such Irony

Honor Thy Inferior
MBTI Type
INtp
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I have a tendency to be saying something and then suddenly stop. My family hates this. I'm wondering if this has anything to do with mbti type. Typically the reason I stop is because I just realized something and I want to think about the implications of that thing more. It also happens when I've just been presented with new information. Lots of questions pop up in my mind and I only get to voice some of the questions partially before moving on to the next question.

What cognitive process does this sound like? Which types (if any) are prone to this?

I'm guilty of it now and then. Not sure about cognitive function, maybe Ne? Ne goes off on tangents and unbalanced Ne can start a bunch of things without finishing them (don't know about sentences though). Also Ne can sense that others have gotten the gist and may not see a need to finish the sentence.

Amethyst

¡MI TORTA!
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Never have I not finished a sente

Sunny Ghost

i do this when i feel as though the listener isn't with me anymore.

i also do the opposite... i'll have a thought in my head, then will suddenly say aloud, "...but yada yada yada..." not realizing those around me had no clue where i began.

sculpting

I do this all the time. My entp and I typically hop back and forth in convos. Both of us have fragmented sentences.

Hmmm, I have seen INTPs do this though. or they look at you with the very serious look.....then just wonder off. Hehehe, the worst is this old engineer we work with. He is an INTP but has done massive amounts of drugs too. You ask him a question and he walks off. Then like three weeks later he stops in front of your office and says "37. the aluminum cant take any more" the walks away. We are like WTF? It's gut bustingly hysterical.

the state i am in

MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
i rarely finish sentences. i reframe and shift the point of emphasis constantly. i respond to things that haven't actually been brought into the conversation. i'll qualify and qualify and qualify. i am searching for ideas always. i respond to my own train of thoughts and need to balance that and the listener. i don't deliberate and just start the exploration at the 20 yard line. i hate slowing down because i'm really impatient and when i talk it's like i'm chasing after something, going fish with a giant net and trying to pull in as much meaning as i possibly can carry. i'll start a question but then keep talking and not finish the question and then the other person will be like, what is your question? i like to map out the constraints and paint some of the picture as i see it.

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I do this all the time. My entp and I typically hop back and forth in convos. Both of us have fragmented sentences.

Hmmm, I have seen INTPs do this though. or they look at you with the very serious look.....then just wonder off. Hehehe, the worst is this old engineer we work with. He is an INTP but has done massive amounts of drugs too. You ask him a question and he walks off. Then like three weeks later he stops in front of your office and says "37. the aluminum cant take any more" the walks away. We are like WTF? It's gut bustingly hysterical.
I do this with my ENTP friend and my ENFJ friend. ESPECIALLY my ENFJ friend. We can have like twelve different subjects hanging in the air at any point, and one of us will just randomly bring one up again, and the other will roll with it, as if the huge break in the conversation had never happened.

It's awesome. :D

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
huh. i don't do that much at all - unless i'm searching for a word. certain friends of mine are very good at filling my word-blanks

Antimony

You're fired. Lol.
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I do this too.

Partly because:

1. I am telling someone something new, and I need to ponder which of the thousands of things I want to say on said subject.
2. I get distracted by new thoughts in my head, somehow obscurely related. Or not.
3. I just plain get distracted.

Or I just forget that I was talking. Or I need to figure out how to word something.

Yeah. This happens a lot. I will be talking a million miles an hour, and then a brick wall forms.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
Finishing sentences is for Sensors.

Oh god I finished it, oh god oh god oh god, help, help, I have to...

mmhmm

meinmeinmein!
sometimes i just do it because i don't want to listen anymore.

Antimony

You're fired. Lol.
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Finishing sentences is for Sensors.

Oh god I finished it, oh god oh god oh god, help, help, I have to...

*slaps*

SNAP OUT OF IT, MAN!

Hey! I finished a-

:peepwall:

IZthe411

Carerra Lu
MBTI Type
INTJ
I do this, especially when I'm talking with someone to figure something out. I'll be talking my thoughts and then some other possibility or option will pop into my head.

Aquarelle

Starcrossed Seafarer
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
My (ESFJ) husband does this when he's mad about something. More specifically, he ends a sentence with "so." For instance, he'll say, "If I call them they'll just tell me there's nothing they can do and I'll have wasted my time, so."

nolla

Senor Membrane
MBTI Type
INFP
I do this too. Usually it's because I don't find the words to finish the sentence and also find the end of the sentence to be so obvious there's no need to finish. It doesn't seem to cause too much trouble. I also do this when I want the other person to make the connection I trying to explain. I don't know, maybe it is some sort of a test. Like, "you know what this means, if you were listening to me", ha! Then if they don't get my point and go to a different direction, it can be an interesting direction as well. So, I guess it is also some sorta openmindeness about the discussion. I don't know.