• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Do you identify more with your MBTI type or your Enneagram type?

Do you identify more with your MBTI type or your Enneagram type?

• Total voters

SilkRoad

Lay the coin on my tongue
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
It's interesting, there are some people who I can peg with a high degree of certainty (I flatter myself!) as a certain e-type, but not their MBTI. And others where I can really see their MBTI, but not their e-type. Usually not both...

I felt for a while like I might identify more with the enneagram than MBTI, but although I'm fairly sure I'm a 6, I'm not quite sure...I could also be a 9 (unlikely to be anything else). Whereas I'm as sure as I can be that I'm an INFJ.

I do feel like both can be very useful, though, when properly applied.

Zarathustra

Let Go Of Your Team
It's interesting, there are some people who I can peg with a high degree of certainty (I flatter myself!) as a certain e-type, but not their MBTI. And others where I can really see their MBTI, but not their e-type. Usually not both...

I feel you on this...

I was watching the first X-Files movie the other night, which I hadn't seen in 10+ years, and thought to myself, "I think Scully's definitely a 5w6. Maybe a 6w5. But I'm not sure of her MBTI. IxTJ? ExTJ? xxTJ?"

That was only the first or second time that someone's enneagram was more obvious to me than their MBTI, but I suspect that's because I'm more familiar with MBTI.

Now that I've studied a bit of enneagram, I'm sure this will start happening more often.

...but although I'm fairly sure I'm a 6, I'm not quite sure...

As someone who's also not quite sure if he's a 6, I totally feel this statement.

But, honestly, is there any more of a 6 thing you can say?

:rofl1:

Whereas I'm as sure as I can be that I'm an INFJ.

Ditto on INTJ.

I do feel like both can be very useful, though, when properly applied.

Totally agreed.

We must both be INxJ 6s. :laugh:

If you are a 6, what do you think is your wing?

SilkRoad

Lay the coin on my tongue
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
As someone who's also not quite sure if he's a 6, I totally feel this statement.

But, honestly, is there any more of a 6 thing you can say?

We must both be INxJ 6s. :laugh:

If you are a 6, what do you think is your wing?

Ha, you're quite right about the uncertainty thing. :D And it is another thing that makes me think I probably am a 6. ;) anyway, 6 is supposed to be a very common type although it encompasses a lot of variety...phobic and counter-phobic, etc.

The fact that it's probably so common amuses me because very few people here identify as 6. Because it doesn't sound "nice" enough or something. ;) Actually, I think it is a pretty cool type when you look into it. And it probably makes a bit more sense for me than 9.

My wing...I'm really not sure. Maybe I have fairly balanced wings? 6w5 seems more obvious for me, but then I've read descriptions of 6w7 that sounded an awful lot like me too (and others that didn't). I'm guessing more 6w5, but fairly balanced overall. How about you? If you're INTJ I guess 6w5 is more likely?

I'd definitely be phobic (though with counter-phobic moments!) and probably sp/sx.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I identify far more with my MBTI type, I suspect largely because I am much more familiar with that system. I am fairly confident in identifying myself as an enneagram 5w6, but that seems a much broader category. It actually makes more sense to me to consider the entire trifix, though I am still quite uncertain in how to apply this system.

Domino

ENFJ In Chains
MBTI Type
eNFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Equally, because I only make sense in both dimensions.

Poor poor sad deluded clown man. Sad sad poor deluded deluded yeah buddy yeah yeah man buddy boy clown man.

I feel that the 4w3 label was almost tailor-made for me. It threw so much light and clarity on the MBTI description, elucidating some major problem areas for me. It helped me to understand why I tested alternately as an INFJ - I knew I wasn't one, but I felt this sort of "ghosting" of one from my E/I axis being so closely split. I'm a Fancy Hybrid (tm).

But I also relate to some aspects of ENFJ Fe-usage and cult leaderiness. I have a cult. It's called the Daisy Hill Puppy Farm. I raised Snoopy there. Signed, The Red Baron.

Random Ness

Enneagram. Perhaps it has less to do with what I relate to and more to do with enneagram describing different health levels and MBTI describing one health level. Enneagram is like, "When you're good, you do this, when you're average, you do this, when you're bad, you do this," and I'm like, yeah I relate to that. MBTI is like, "You're like this," and I'm like, "No, I'm not always like that."

Cybin

MBTI Type
INFP
The MB functions make more sense to me than the enneagram. I want to think the problem is I haven't found a good resource on enneagrams, but the different types seem very arbitrary and fuzzy. To the best I can figure, I'm a 9w1 sx/sp. MB types, on the other hand, are easier for me to grasp in myself and somewhat in others. It's a simple categorization for different ways of getting and using information that really further defined something I was already vaguely aware of more than was completely new information. I've yet to have the same striking realization with the enneagram or can really see it working in myself or anyone else.

Llewellyn

MBTI Type
INtj
Enneagram
9w1
I believe I identify more with my MBTI type. Although I'm sure I often behave in a typical ennea 9 way.
And it changes... It's diffcult to say. But I'll make a choice for MBTI type, making a choice being a good thing to do for a 9 (if not far-fetched...)

AOA

♣️♦️♠️♥️
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx
Definitely much more with my enneagram type - I'm 7w8.

Southern Kross

Away with the fairies
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Wow, tough choice.

I would have to say MBTI because it feels more intuitive to me. This makes it easier to type others and to develop ideas/create discussion about it. Enneagram is difficult for me explore in my own head and it leaves me more reliant on descriptions out there (which are of varying quality). But perhaps I just haven't read enough about Enneagram structure.

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w1
@Southern Cross: I love Audrey Hepburn. Esp the movie Roman Holiday where I think she's most INFPish.

I agree with those who have found the Enneagram more vague. I find it hard to place myself in that scheme.
I did get some personal insights reading type 9 but the other wing aspects are difficult for me to interpret.
I do like the healthy average and unhealthy descriptions as a way to better understand differences between people of the same type who may be struggling with aspects of their personalities because of dysfunctional family environments.
I vote MBTI for best personality typing system for 2011.

mippus

you are right
MBTI Type
Intp
Enneagram
5w6
It took me a very long time to set aside my prejudices to enneagram, but thanks to a great trainer, I finally get to see how enneagram and MBTI can complement one another i.e. how my 6wing can bring insight into the INTP parts that don't really suit me.

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
MBTI. I am a very spiritually balanced person and score high in 1, 4, 5, 7, 8 and 9. Generally, I think MBTI is easier to tell when one is emotionally healthy, while enneagram is easiest to tell in people with average emotional health. healthy enneagram types can seem like almost any type

Lightyear

MBTI though my 9ness adds a bit of extra flavour to understanding myself.

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w1
MBTI though my 9ness adds a bit of extra flavour to understanding myself.

I agree. I have found that the nine description in "Wisdom of the Enneagram" fit me to a tee and lends a greater understanding of myself that I hadn't reached through the MBTI reading that I did.

Kierva

#KUWK
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'm split on 8w9 and 3w4 but I can say that it really fits me better some scientific ENTJ description out there. The profiles make us sound like some aggressive bullheaded scientist and I beg to differ.

Nomenclature

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
3w2
Can't relate to the enneagram health levels for my type at all, just the core fixation... and that's good enough for me in terms of self-discovery, though I more frequently test as 4.

MBTI was useless for me. JCF was okay. As previously stated, enneagram is more inside looking out and thus resonates with my inner world more.