• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Do you identify more with your MBTI type or your Enneagram type?

Do you identify more with your MBTI type or your Enneagram type?

• Total voters

Magic Poriferan

^He pronks, too!
MBTI Type
Yin
Enneagram
One
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Enneagram. I think it's just coincidence. These psychological profiles are bound by odds to have some people who match them almost exactly. Such is the case for me and type 1.

animenagai

MBTI Type
NeFi
Enneagram
4w3
Holy fuck, enneagram is raping. Count me in too. After heaps of type jumping, I read the 4w3 description and tear rolled down my eyes. It was like my entire life was portrayed in the description. This just comes to show that MBTI still needs work as a theory and that people should not be so adamant in its defense 100%.

BlueGray

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
I fit almost perfectly into INTP. 5 seems to be slightly off. I'm going to have to agree with MP, I just happened to fight very well into a certain description.

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I can't really choose. When I finally discovered my MBTI type, I did have a big "this is me!" response. But enneagram was much easier to find my type, and as I learned more about it in depth, it was so spot on it was scary (at first, on the surface, it seemed too vague to impress me).

I suppose because they really type different aspects of personality, it's hard to compare them. Thought process & emotional motivations are so intertwined, that one without the other feels incomplete. Learning enneagram was a missing piece that explained why some INFP aspects were familiar and some were not (as MBTI profiles include aspects of emotional motivations; it might be better if they sought to strictly define thought processes, IMO, but I realize it's hard to separate the two).

Like others have said, I find enneagram a much more useful tool for self-growth. However, I find MBTI a better tool for understanding where others are coming from. Although, as I get better at identifying people's enneagram types, this could change (it took me some time to see people's MBTI types clearly also).

KDude

I almost want to say I'm Ti, but my thinking really isn't very systematic and robust like a Ti dom. It's more holistic, and I'm very much ideal and "people oriented". If I am INTP, it'd be 5w4, but I figure it's safer to just say INFP 4w5. That said, I really don't see myself as an "artist" either (even though I have that side). I actually go out of my way to hide my artistic side or play it down, and shy away from fully embracing it. I get a little annoyed with friends who introduce me that way too. I guess I wish to be recognized for other things. Maybe 9w1 is a better fit.

Forever_Jung

MBTI Type
ESFJ
I almost want to say I'm Ti, but my thinking really isn't very systematic and robust like a Ti dom. It's more holistic, and I'm very much ideal and "people oriented". If I am INTP, it'd be 5w4, but I figure it's safer to just say INFP 4w5. That said, I really don't see myself as an "artist" either (even though I have that side). I actually go out of my way to hide my artistic side or play it down, and shy away from fully embracing it. I get a little annoyed with friends who introduce me that way too. I guess I wish to be recognized for other things. Maybe 9w1 is a better fit.

It kind of is what it's all about. But that doesn't mean you have to be an artist per se, it's just the temperament of an artist (all 2s aren't housewives and nurses, look at Bono, but 2's often have the mindset to succeed at such endeavors). At first blush, 4s can even look conventional. I knew a sort of unhealthy 4 lawyer before he passed recently. At first blush, I just thought he was kinda weird, but the more I knew, the more interesting he became. He wasn't bohemian, but he did thoroughly enjoy creative writing/musical composition and had an absolutely staggering library/record collection. He was very sensitive and kind, but a bit narcissistic and tended to think he was a lot more interesting than he was (though he was interesting and very intelligent). He was dramatically melancholic and made quite a show whenever he fell ill. His sick wife (who died even before him) had to do a lot of heavy labour, because he acted so precious all the time. Some 4s don't like to perform ordinary tasks, because they feel as if they were meant to only do special things. That's an unhealthy trait though.

As I understand it: 4 came into the world and couldn't clearly see where they fit in, what they could bring to the table. Maybe they were told they were weird as a kid, maybe they were ignored, etc. They have nowhere to look but within for solace. Feeling left out, they cultivated a sort of anti-role, an outsider identity. So they strive to be seen as original and special. They see, feel and think differently than the rest of the world. Still, they sometimes are jealous of those who fit in, and often feel ashamed of their difference. They often see themselves in a tragic light.

Edit: Sorry I used such an unhealthy example of a 4, I don't know many of 'em IRL is all.

KDude

Well, it's funny that I can identify with some of the negatives - just not the positives. :cool: I frequently test as 4, so that's mostly why I jot it down as a possible type, but maybe I should look it all over regardless of test results.

Forever_Jung

MBTI Type
ESFJ
Well, it's funny that I can identify with some of the negatives - just not the positives. :cool: I frequently test as 4, so that's mostly why I jot it down as a possible type, but maybe I should look it all over regardless of test results.

Extra research never hurts, especially because a lot of fours are uncomfortable putting themselves in a personality box, so it may take a while to settle into a type. Or you might not be a four at all, who knows.

But don`t worry about not identifying with the positives, that`s really very fourish of you to identify with your bad qualities. :D I have the same problem, but for different reasons. As a skeptical six and have a hard time believing positive things, because I think the rug is always going to be pulled from under me. My friends know that if they want me to accept a compliment, they have to temper it with something negative. Otherwise I think they`re just being nice, and don`t really think what they`re saying is true.

Kasper

Diabolical
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
However, I find MBTI a better tool for understanding where others are coming from.

Good point, I prefer MBTI for understanding others as I'm attempting to get to someone's motivations and expected reactions, I find MBTI helps me do that better than Enneagram.

CuriousFeeling

From the Undertow
MBTI Type
INfJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
A bit of both. Perhaps a bit more of MBTI, but the Enneagram type shows the variation of my MBTI type.

wolfy

awsm
I identify equally. I feel like the wing is really important in understanding how I see myself. In MBTI, an understanding of how the second function interacts with the first.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
the enneagram is probably always why I can do a +1 to Kasper's responses most of the time... I'm unspecial :sadbanana:

Walking Tourist

it's tea time!
MBTI Type
esfp
Enneagram
I don't really understand enneagram as much as I'd like so probably MBTI, even though I can't seem to decide which type describes me best.
Right now, I've come up with MBTI=esfp and enneagram=7w6. Who knows what it will be next week???

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
oooh such the hard question!

i've been more sure of my mbti type i guess...thought i was an infp at first for about 2 weeks but since then pretty confident with enfp but kinda wondered if i was a type 9 for awhile too...but really anyone who knows me well would say i am such the 7w6...shit i guess they'd say i was such an enfp too...okay i guess i don't know...i probably relate equally to others of both types....hmm...yeah hard question...

Sunny Ghost

I am not sure yet about what my enneagramm type is, although some have tried to help me here on this forum to pin it down (apparently I am supposed to be a type 9). Reason is why I don't feel safe with it yet is that I did not get that feel of "THAT'S ME!" with enneagramm type descriptions yet, and I tend to score on tests also on different types often.

ditto this.

i identify very well with my mbti.

guesswho

MBTI Type
ENTP
Ennegram?
Last Summer I used to get 7w6, now I get 3w4. (last summer I was more fun oriented since I was in vacation, now I was more work oriented) ... I don't know, it's a little confusing. Now I'm in vacation again, so I wouldn't be surprised if the result was 7w6 again lol.

Such Irony

Honor Thy Inferior
MBTI Type
INtp
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I identify with my enneagram type slightly more but I identify alot with my MBTI type as well.