• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Dear Fe User,

G

Glycerine

haha, I have no idea what to think anymore. Fe and Fi just seem like a bundled mess that will keep going on forever without much progress. I find it very difficult to differentiate between the motives sometimes. Maybe I have been hanging around an e 2 INFP for too long? lol

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Can't. I don't have the answer yet. I'm just doing what my kind of introvert does, insisting that there's something behind the appearances. In this case the something is something about what it is to have, as apparently we all do, some kind of foundational pattern to our consciousnesses.

Beneath functions is type dynamics and beneath type dynamics is.... something. And if there is... something, then mix-n-match functions and "having" and "using" and "developing" functions and doing anything called "intense" probably all get some meaning other than what play they currently stand in for.

:solidarity: RARR, I SO AM INTROVERTED!!!!

grrr

Seriously, though, you skipped right over your explanation for using the word retard. I'm just gonna chalk that up to immature IxTJ Fi, that some are so insistent on claiming is really part of their objective Te. *snickers.*

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
haha, I have no idea what to think anymore. Fe and Fi just seem like a bundled mess that will keep going on forever without much progress. I find it very difficult to differentiate between the motives sometimes. Maybe I have been hanging around an e 2 INFP for too long? lol

lol, its hard to figure out the motives for an ISTP. Our main motive is to enjoy life, its very selfish ;)

luckily we are so laid back its not hard and boredom is what we fight with the most. Stupid lack of Ne for ideas.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
I am lost as to what ENFPs go through the world doing. It seems they go through the world upbeat, get burned, settle with a worldview, and then get stuck in a rut based on this worldview. At that point control things to make it through this world view to avoid getting stepped on again and aim for the lesser of 2 evils. Not realizing that "evil" has been defined by their "worldview", which is based on experience.

lolwut?

Kalach

Filthy Apes!
MBTI Type
INTJ
Seriously, though, you skipped right over your explanation for using the word retard. I'm just gonna chalk that up to immature IxTJ Fi, that some are so insistent on claiming is really part of their objective Te. *snickers.*

There was to be such an explanation? That was the important part?

Oh, I see, this is Te, suggestions about the environment that offer other people the chance to show what they'll do next and you can see if it follows the hinted at path acceptable to introverted judgment. That Te. The kickass kind.

*sigh* EDIT: ^ and which actually iz a brand of extroverted thinking. Just heavily overlain with extroverted perception demands.

Iz still not sorry. If EPs can lace their talk with hidden introverted judgment demands, I can insult revealed threats from the environment to my subjective perception. What, only ENFPs use Te to kick?

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so

I dont know, you would have to see what I see. I think I just defined everyone in a nutshell from birth to death though:doh:

So u do fit in somewhere ;) I just have no clue what it is u guys actually do along the way.

edit: I mean people, grew up where "guys" just meant people in general

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so

Oh, I see, this is Te, suggestions about the environment that offer other people the chance to show what they'll do next and you can see if it follows the hinted at path acceptable to introverted judgment. That Te. The kickass kind.

*sigh* EDIT: ^ and which actually iz a brand of extroverted thinking. Just heavily overlain with extroverted perception demands.

Iz still not sorry. If EPs can lace their talk with hidden introverted judgment demands, I can insult revealed threats from the environment to my subjective perception. What, only ENFPs use Te to kick?

Lol, Fi is funny.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
I dont know, you would have to see what I see. I think I just defined everyone in a nutshell from birth to death though:doh:

So u do fit in somewhere ;) I just have no clue what it is u guys actually do along the way.

edit: I mean people, grew up where "guys" just meant people in general

Do you mean by worldview that we tend to have very strong philosophical and/or political and/or spiritual opinions?

The thing is, though, as I've grown older I've become more politically moderate, less non-religious spiritual and more de facto atheist (agnostic) and less confrontational with other people. So I've changed. It's not like I have some concrete world view I developed by age 18 and go around telling people they're evil if they don't fit into it. No offense to SJs, but that really does sound more like an SFJ than an ENFP.

ENFPs are pretty strongly opinionated, though. I think anyone with Fi is going to have really strong gut-level feelings about certain things. I know that I do.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx

I know you did it to see if I'd zone it on that (the value judgement rather than the more objective content) and, no, I don't expect you to be sorry.

I expect you to realize though that it comes more from your subjective Fi than your objective Te, which is relevant to the conversation we've been having, n'est-ce pas?

sculpting

It sucks to see an ENFP whos worldview has overtaken their internal view and lost that balance. Oro, the way I see this fix is when your ENTP suggested that you meld(I dont remember your exact word, maybe anneal) what you saw as Fi and Te to strengthen yourself which allows you to bring it back into balance. I dont know how I would define your Fi and Te that you merged. Fi sounded like a halfway point between what I see as Fi and Si. *edited*: I am lost though as to Te, maybe that one stood alone and pushed you back to Ne openness and experience.

I admit I am at a loss....what? hehehhe. Ah-the entp was wanting to try and find Fi, but I recall that thread. I suspect learning to use your aux-tert functions in a concerted way is a huge step forward in growth though...and yeah depending upon the external world we can over rely upon the internal or external world too much.

I am lost as to what ENFPs go through the world doing. It seems they go through the world upbeat, get burned, settle with a worldview, and then get stuck in a rut based on this worldview. At that point control things to make it through this world view to avoid getting stepped on again and aim for the lesser of 2 evils. Not realizing that "evil" has been defined by their "worldview", which is based on experience. More will come as I try and figure you people out :)

edit: All along the way they try their hardest to keep that upbeat, no matter how beat down they get. Avoiding this melding of Fi and Te and trying to balance each individually maybe.

Hmmm...well so we start out ridiculously stupidly innocent-we are nice. we assume other people are nice. projection FTW! As we get kicked around a bit, we start to feel Fi pain, then certain things get stored away as FiSi with a label of "bad". The rut you describe is if we are stuck in a constant FiSi loop and cant find anyway forward. We get really bitter and whiny-like the ISTJs( EDIT: oh damn-hehehe, like the ISTJs stuck in a bad spot do)-and become afraid of change as change will be painful. So we use Te to try and establish safety barriers-to control the world so we are not exposed to FiSi painful things. In the worst case we block out the whole world definsively-to prevent any pain-kinda like the INTJs do. However pain tempers and forges Fi-when you get Fi hurt you learn lessons about how to not be stupid in the future, how to productively work through pain and hurt and not become and exploding ball of vomiting emo goo-but if you never get hurt-when finally hurt-it is very bad.

Now the INTJ often lectures about letting go of hurt and caring for others-yet not being attached. Silly Ni users. Si is like being chained to a solid substrate-literally CHAINED. Thus FiSi is being chained emotionally to the past. beneovalent caring attachment. It is an area I am still trying to understand but so far I have learned that changing Fi is slow stuff and very messy.

The upbeatness is all Ne-"Oh shit this entire place sucks and I hate my life-but look at that shiny little crack I can escape through" as long as we can find a crack, a bright point, an emotionally optimistic way to view the situation, we can put the pain aside. Te cant pull us out of an FiSi loop-NeFi does that by asking questions like "Stop looking so far forward and instead look around-what can I do to help those in my immediate circle" If we help them-we feel rewarded by Fi, thus released from the loop-we are learning new Si patterns. ISTJs have the worst FiSi loops EVER though...

decisions for me can be made with Fi-but feel very isolated to myself, with sloppy Te-which I can extend more readily to others, or by taking turns stabbing a problem with both-which generates pretty good answers. However every so often-when I feel rightously driven in a good way-it is like FiTe merge into something greater. They become something more than they are in isolation...

EDIT-Totally used "we" but could mean "I" but it is a bit mixed up. I see all of this in me but have seen in some other enfps as well, so I "we'd" the whole post recognizing it is by default flawed.

well except for this part:
(oh, btw, I used myself in my above example regarding taking responsibility for projections of worldviews-in reality that REALLY was meant to be an externalization-We ALL need to do that. I did it a lot last year when the ENTPs were poking around. I learned a great deal about myself and my flaws through listening to their observations.)

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Do you mean by worldview that we tend to have very strong philosophical and/or political and/or spiritual opinions?

The thing is, though, as I've grown older I've become more politically moderate, less non-religious spiritual and more de facto atheist (agnostic) and less confrontational with other people. So I've changed. It's not like I have some concrete world view I developed by age 18 and go around telling people they're evil if they don't fit into it. No offense to SJs, but that really does sound more like an SFJ than an ENFP.

ENFPs are pretty strongly opinionated, though. I think anyone with Fi is going to have really strong gut-level feelings about certain things. I know that I do.

No I just mean worldview as in your view of people which lead to strong philosophical, political, or spiritual opinions.

All I see is grey. It would be like seeing zombies instead of dead or alive people :) Ghosts are to dead to be a grey area, they are like dark grey if black is dead and white is alive, though they look white so people fear the fact that there alive and present and see zombies as dark grey because they are scary...rambling. I dont know what light grey is, maybe its the people who dont really fit into MBTI that are halfway between living and zombie. Yes I am bored, have short timers syndrome and ready for the day to end so I can start my vacation.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
No I just mean worldview as in your view of people which lead to strong philosophical, political, or spiritual opinions.

All I see is grey. It would be like seeing zombies instead of dead or alive people :) Ghosts are to dead to be a grey area, they are like dark grey if black is dead and white is alive, though they look white so people fear the fact that there alive and present and see zombies as dark grey because they are scary...rambling. I dont know what light grey is, maybe its the people who dont really fit into MBTI that are halfway between living and zombie. Yes I am bored, have short timers syndrome and ready for the day to end so I can start my vacation.

I sometimes wonder if SPs are the least likely of all types to have strong political opinions. Apparently ISFPs, at least, are less openly opinionated or argumentative with their Fi than both NFP types.

I don't think it comes from personal butthurt, though. If anything I've realized as I've gotten older more and more that people tend to do things for a variety of reasons, usually involving their personal pain or life experience (and this includes my ESFP mother...so it's not like SPs don't act badly out of personal butthurt, themselves) than because they are "bad" people or that they mean to be "mean." In fact, I often feel like I'm lecturing INFPs and sometimes even FJs on this site about how they label people as bad, mean, or inappropriate instead of viewing their behavior in a wider and more flexible context. This is probably just being an Ne dom. Dunno.

However, yes, I have standards and I have strong feelings and will always have strong opinions about certain things, even if I understand that the motives behind certain behaviors aren't necessarily malicious.

This is probably an ENFP trait, and it's why we're called "The Champions," I'm sure...because we Champion ideas and people we feel strongly about.

PeaceBaby

reborn
MBTI Type
N/A
Enneagram
N/A
:)

So part of the challenge of communicating ideas, especially complex ideas, especially abstract ideas that cannot be stated in concrete terms, is to figure out how to convey the idea such that the proper "resonance" is achieved in the other person. That resonance isn't an exact replication of the original idea. Even when it's a concrete idea, different people will "store" it differently, e.g., Ni storing "meaning" while Si often recalls the exact words. But the idea is conveyed and understood after a fashion.

Yes, different people will store ideas differently and through their filters won't look like or be exactly like the original, yet, the resonance doesn't have to be "proper" (or the same) from person to person (not at all) to have meaning. Resonance to me is when someone hooks into a truth of some kind and this echoes with others. "I still haven't found, what I'm looking for" ... would resonate with many, many people - for (I can think of) hundreds of reasons. It gives words to a truth, a reality. What that reality looks like is so different from person to person yet the kernel of what's in there is a truth.

Totally off-topic: I think there's far more to Si than storing the words of a song btw. It stores ... every aspect of context that revolves around that song, the "who, what, why, when and where" ... this data leads to when I last heard the song, what I was wearing that night, and what happened after we got back from the party, and all of the emotions sparkle or slice 'round those memories too. Si takes me to everything that happened, and replaying those memories engages an emotional replay too. It is why, when I surface memories, I feel like I am reliving the emotions almost, just like it was "back then". It's a wise reason sometimes to stay in the "now" ... to just "be".

The other part of the reason I explicate this is that in order to convey an idea, it isn't enough to just be authentic and express it as one understands it oneself: some people will get it right away, but most won't. One must also listen to the hearts of others and express it in a way that properly resonates in those hearts as well as one's own.

You know, as much as I hear you and rationally agree with this, I still disagree. Some things are worth being bendy for, others are not. I think Fi people in particular have to learn hard to differentiate between the two, for the world does not run to Fi's preference.

And finally, in order to properly listen and translate, one eventually needs to be able to hear all of the different versions in their own terms without being repulsed by some element or another. By instantly rejecting some aspect of a message, one actually changes the message one hears into a message very different from the one sent. Ironically, yes, I am on the one hand saying that one should frame the message so that others don't instantly reject it, but on the other hand that one should strive to not instantly reject others' messages: these points are complimentary, however, not contradictory.

I feel like you are being a bit lecture-y to me in your last couple of posts, but I'm not offended or dwelling on it - just going to briefly address it. If your premise is that I do not already do this (accommodate others and modify how I communicate according to my audience) in my real life, and you think I should, you are starting from the wrong spot; if you think I should be more this way on the forum or in these threads, I am trying to say that I am trying to be more "me" and less "bendy" in order to show other people more of the real "me" and thus more real Fi. I am seeing if this "tool" in my toolbox can work in this instance to communicate what I want to share. Maybe it's not working; maybe it is. But I can't know unless I really push this ... really try this.

Your message is very contradictory, you see that, no? To purely share one's heart is to not worry about whether what one offers will be accepted or rejected. If you are constantly thinking about how to engage the listener, you can never offer over a true rendition of oneself. Not ever.

In my mind, there's two reasons why people enjoy certain songs or music:

1.) The music and lyrics use a tried and true formula to appeal to the masses. For example, pop music is generally constructed, not created. It is formulaic and very ... intentional. It's crafted in such a way you almost cannot help but find it catchy and fun. It sells. People like it. It makes money.

2.) The performers play or sing from their heart; they are expressing raw what people think and feel and that purity is what resonates with their audience. The honesty of expression. Seeing the true person in there. They offer over a part of themselves.

Think of all the bands that have an initial success then fade away, never to recapture what success they had in the past. Success is what became most important in many of those cases. They started from position #2, but after the initial success tried to "bottle it" into #1 ... they changed and ceased to offer over something that was from the heart. Thus they lost their audience.

Anyway, as usual I feel pressed to say this in a way that I am happy with or actually will say what I want it to say, but this is my best go at it for the moment. :)

uumlau

Happy Dancer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
You know, as much as I hear you and rationally agree with this, I still disagree. Some things are worth being bendy for, others are not. I think Fi people in particular have to learn hard to differentiate between the two, for the world does not run to Fi's preference.
Or rather, some truths simply won't resonate until the other perspective bends to accommodate them. Sometimes only time and experience can allow such flexibility in a person, and no matter how much one tries to explain something accommodating the other's perspective, the idea just doesn't fit. It turns into an effort to try and make the other perspective bend, which usually doesn't end well.

Still, I enjoy trying to figure out how to create a "path" from one idea to another, with a sequence of resonances for others to follow. Maybe I don't get there, but it's how my Ni works, specializing in subjective perspectives. It usually doesn't "work", but I always learn something from doing so.

I feel like you are being a bit lecture-y to me in your last couple of posts, but I'm not offended or dwelling on it - just going to briefly address it. If your premise is that I do not already do this (accommodate others and modify how I communicate according to my audience) in my real life, and you think I should, you are starting from the wrong premise; if you think I should be more this way on the forum or in these threads, I am trying to say that I am trying to be more "me" and less "bendy" in order to show other people more of the real "me" and thus more real Fi. I am seeing if this "tool" in my toolbox can work in this instance to communicate what I want to share. Maybe it's not working; maybe it is. But I can't know unless I really push this ... really try this.
I know very well that you're capable of adapting to others' perspectives. When I reply, however, I try to keep things in a language that other posters will readily comprehend, and to one well-versed in Fi, I'm sure it sounds quite pedantic and awkward.

Your message is very contradictory, you see that, no? To purely share one's heart is to not worry about whether what one offers will be accepted or rejected. If you are constantly thinking about how to engage the listener, you can never offer over a true rendition of oneself. Not ever.
I understand this better than you might think. I don't believe it is contradictory, however.

I suspect there might be some Ni vs Si perspective differences between us, here. I don't feel like I'm not being "true to myself" when I bend my perspective. Perhaps, as an Ni dom, bending my perspective is being true to myself, since it is natural as breathing.

On the Fi-side, though, I totally get the need to just be able to say what one feels without having to be self-conscious about it, and it is extremely refreshing to be able to do so. I've only found it in very particular connections with very particular people, and never with people in general in any venue.

In my mind, there's two reasons why people enjoy certain songs or music:

1.) The music and lyrics use a tried and true formula to appeal to the masses. For example, pop music is generally constructed, not created. It is formulaic and very ... intentional. It's crafted in such a way you almost cannot help but find it catchy and fun. It sells. People like it. It makes money.

2.) The performers play or sing from their heart; they are expressing raw what people think and feel and that purity is what resonates with their audience. The honesty of expression. Seeing the true person in there. They offer over a part of themselves.

Think of all the bands that have an initial success then fade away, never to recapture what success they had in the past. Success is what became most important in many of those cases. They started from position #2, but after the initial success tried to "bottle it" into #1 ... they changed and ceased to offer over something that was from the heart. Thus they lost their audience.

Anyway, as usual I feel pressed to say this in a way that I am happy with or actually will say what I want it to say, but this is my best go at it for the moment. :)

It's interesting that you bring up this metaphor, since I play and improvise music myself (never to anything beyond a very modest degree of commercial success). I suspect you regard (1) as being Si-ish, a very specific formula that has been proven over time to be successful, and (2) as being Fi-ish, being true to oneself. Personally, I apply (1) in a more Ni way, e.g., the expression of each musical idea needs to be suited to the idea as well as to the listener. That if Fi is the inner light, the Ni is my lens, a very flexible lens rather than a specific formula.

Definitely, if one relies only on (1), whether of the Ni or Si variety, with no evidence of (2), then the music is flat, with no feeling. But ALSO, if one relies only on (2), there is no focus, no form. "From the heart" can fall flat because one lacks the ability to give it any kind of concrete form. When my emotions, my inspiration, are the strongest, I find that I have very little originality or spark. It's as if I cannot find any good way to express what I need to express, the inner light is too intense to resolve into an image for others to see - it is noise without form - even to me.

It's when I am in a more detached state, able to access both Ni and Fi, as it were, that I can truly be creative and play from my heart. I stop caring that it be exactly right the way I understand it internally, and just let it come out as is, shaping it so that it makes sense "to itself," and becomes an entity apart from me.

Esoteric Wench

Professional Trickster
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w8
FYI, everyone: pay attention to the bolded. We are, after all, on a typology forum. To respond to any sort of typological statement with the "but typology does not (or cannot) explain everything" platitude means nothing without an additional explanation of how and why, in whatever particular case, typology is insufficient or limited, beyond just saying that people are unique or whatever other catch-all explanation for dismissing typology first occurs to one's mind. There is no way to prove, one way or another, whether a specific application of typology is true or false; at most, a discussion can shed light on which applications of typology appear to be useful or not so useful.

A part of what happens with respect to translating between contexts/frames/spaces is that some things don't translate well or at all. Moreover, some information is even extraneous, filler material, patterns of speech or thought that enter the communication, but are not actually relevant to any particular message.

Here is a song with a very Fi message. I'm going to post three versions of it, here. I believe every version has the core message, but each is in a different frame, with extraneous elements that don't translate.

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hW88EvEAd0k"]Pop version (Joshua Tree)[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ejc8a5wW8QI"]Gospel Version (from Rattle and Hum)[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FpgXT2n0YWg"]Salsa Version (Coco Freeman)[/YOUTUBE]

The core Fi message is along the lines of, "There's something here I need to know/understand/figure-out/discover. I will know what it is when I find it, but beyond that, I cannot say." It is a statement of the nature of faith, that in spite of belief, there is something missing. That in spite of overcoming many challenges, of having known love/desire, knowing both good and evil, it is still missing ... but it is out there to be found.

Note that in the music I've posted, as good as it is, there are elements that repulse some others, including other Fi users. Heck, an Fi-dom salsa friend of mine doesn't like the salsa version, because she hates pop music turned into salsa, and that makes it not really salsa in her mind. (But, proving her Fi-frame-of-mind, she'll then say, "Oh, yeah, you like this song, so it's OK if you dance it with me.")

So part of the challenge of communicating ideas, especially complex ideas, especially abstract ideas that cannot be stated in concrete terms, is to figure out how to convey the idea such that the proper "resonance" is achieved in the other person. That resonance isn't an exact replication of the original idea. Even when it's a concrete idea, different people will "store" it differently, e.g., Ni storing "meaning" while Si often recalls the exact words. But the idea is conveyed and understood after a fashion.

There is another aspect of this resonance: especially in Fi terms, what one will hear in return for one's own song is a very different song. You still hear your own song in there, but now it carries two hearts instead of one. The Joshua Tree version is the original, but someone else heard the rather hidden "gospel" tones of the song, and brought those out: it's the same song, sung by a different heart, emphasizing what that heart heard and resonates, and adding that heart's own characteristic touch. Similarly, the salsa version takes the original and seamlessly adds a salsa beat, a Spanish translation, and some spectacular brass that takes the original question of faith and turns it into a celebration of life.

Same song, same Fi. Entering new hearts reveals new understandings.

So part of the reason I explicate this is to give the Fe side of the equation an idea of how Fi interacts in its own terms. Those who identify with Fe (plus Ni) in this thread will most likely find my explanation to resonate more with Ni than Fe.

The other part of the reason I explicate this is that in order to convey an idea, it isn't enough to just be authentic and express it as one understands it oneself: some people will get it right away, but most won't. One must also listen to the hearts of others and express it in a way that properly resonates in those hearts as well as one's own.

So back to my heavy metal music analogy, one's own heart might be heavy metal, but perhaps the other heart needs to hear a power ballad version of what you have to say, and not "Highway to Hell" version. No, it's not the "complete truth," but if one evokes enough of the truth, the other can use that to find the rest, or even truths that you don't see, yet.

And finally, in order to properly listen and translate, one eventually needs to be able to hear all of the different versions in their own terms without being repulsed by some element or another. By instantly rejecting some aspect of a message, one actually changes the message one hears into a message very different from the one sent. Ironically, yes, I am on the one hand saying that one should frame the message so that others don't instantly reject it, but on the other hand that one should strive to not instantly reject others' messages: these points are complimentary, however, not contradictory.

Uumlau, this was absolutely beautiful. Seriously. Akin to a work of art. What a beautiful, logically coherent, heartfelt expression of what happens when two people communicate... and how we can tailor our messages to reach different people... and how we can tailor our listening based on the communication styles of those around us.

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I sometimes wonder if SPs are the least likely of all types to have strong political opinions. Apparently ISFPs, at least, are less openly opinionated or argumentative with their Fi than both NFP types.

I don't think it comes from personal butthurt, though. If anything I've realized as I've gotten older more and more that people tend to do things for a variety of reasons, usually involving their personal pain or life experience (and this includes my ESFP mother...so it's not like SPs don't act badly out of personal butthurt, themselves) than because they are "bad" people or that they mean to be "mean." In fact, I often feel like I'm lecturing INFPs and sometimes even FJs on this site about how they label people as bad, mean, or inappropriate instead of viewing their behavior in a wider and more flexible context. This is probably just being an Ne dom. Dunno.

However, yes, I have standards and I have strong feelings and will always have strong opinions about certain things, even if I understand that the motives behind certain behaviors aren't necessarily malicious.

This is probably an ENFP trait, and it's why we're called "The Champions," I'm sure...because we Champion ideas and people we feel strongly about.

Thanks, that helps me shift things around. So what causes butthurt?

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I understand this better than you might think. I don't believe it is contradictory, however.

I suspect there might be some Ni vs Si perspective differences between us, here. I don't feel like I'm not being "true to myself" when I bend my perspective. Perhaps, as an Ni dom, bending my perspective is being true to myself, since it is natural as breathing.

On the Fi-side, though, I totally get the need to just be able to say what one feels without having to be self-conscious about it, and it is extremely refreshing to be able to do so. I've only found it in very particular connections with very particular people, and never with people in general in any venue.

So as long as the perspective doesnt relate to how you feel you will be able to bend it willy-nilly. But what if the perspective affects how you feel? If INTJs speak Ni, then doesnt Fi come out in an Ni manner, and isnt being true to Fi mean you become stubborn to Ni as well? So U, can you infact be as open with Ni as you say you are?

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Uumlau, this was absolutely beautiful. Seriously. Akin to a work of art. What a beautiful, logically coherent, heartfelt expression of what happens when two people communicate... and how we can tailor our messages to reach different people... and how we can tailor our listening based on the communication styles of those around us.

ok, I read the bolded you commented on as if words can be shifted to speak to someones heart. Try that when 2 people disagree. Oh wait, he is...wait for it.....:) Wait, is the perspective shifting or is it just a play on words. You know if you reach a vague subject where people can create their own interpretation of the words, then it is possible for 2 people to reach an agreement, to "get" each other, yet be completely lost.

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so

Also I care more about how people treat other people, then I do about politics. Politics is just 2 or more people trying to reach a middle ground on a external topic that affects things in a round about way.

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
To purely share one's heart is to not worry about whether what one offers will be accepted or rejected. If you are constantly thinking about how to engage the listener, you can never offer over a true rendition of oneself. Not ever.

I'm not sure I'm completely following some of the discussion here but do really like this quote.