• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Let's Redefine Some Awful Descriptions!

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Is this thread for real???

The biggest problem with humans of every type, is that no one thinks their shit stinks and that they are all perfect..
Why don't you blow that stereo type instead?
Work on your issues instead of denying their existence.

What a bunch of babies ...
The issues I bolded in my previous post on this thread are issues that I don't have. HOWEVER, the issues I DO have are contained in 1. the un-bolded, 2. the enneagram 1 description, and 3. no description online (as they are specific to me).

Just because we're saying "No, I don't have THESE issues", doesn't mean we're saying that we don't have issues at all.

Eckhart

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
???
Yeah, I think I have every right to disagree with a description which attributes like 3 positive aspects of my type and 100 negatives. Sure I have also negative ones which I won't deny, but I know I have more than 3 positive aspects about me, but for some reason people seem to focus only on the negatives of INFPs. Of course it bothers me, I am not an insensitive rock! I won't cry because people who don't know me are making judgements over me, but it would be nice to just hear a positive word sometimes too.

Some examples: In INFP description it says "attracted to the counter culture", which is formulated in a negative tone as if they were just out of principe against everything of culture without real individual thoughts. On ENTP description it says " appreciates strangeness", which sounds more positive. Strange things are strange by definition because they don't fit to the typical cultural image, so it is nearly the same thing, just one does seem to do it just to follow some crowd blindly while the other is appreciating it by own thoughts. Not to mention the fact that the description of INFP is twice as long as ENTP, but only because it is filled with a bunch more of negative stuff, of which half of the list seems pulled out of the ass to me tbh or redundant. The "not punctual" / "prone to lateness" stuff is actually two times the same, and loner / solitary / hermit is redundant too...

Things which are totally not me, actually mostly the opposite, are bolded (not all unbolded are necessarily typical for me, but they can happen):

creative, smart, idealist, loner, attracted to sad things, disorganized, avoidant, can be overwhelmed by unpleasant feelings, prone to quitting, prone to feelings of loneliness, ambivalent of the rules, solitary, daydreams about people to maintain a sense of closeness, focus on fantasies, acts without planning, low self confidence, emotionally moody, can feel defective, prone to lateness, likes esoteric things, wounded at the core, feels shame, frequently losing things, prone to sadness, prone to dreaming about a rescuer, disorderly, observer, easily distracted, does not like crowds, can act without thinking, private, can feel uncomfortable around others, familiar with the darkside, hermit, more likely to support marijuana legalization, can sabotage self, likes the rain, sometimes can't control fearful thoughts, prone to crying, prone to regret, attracted to the counter culture, can be submissive, prone to feeling discouraged, frequently second guesses self, not punctual, not always prepared, can feel victimized, prone to confusion, prone to irresponsibility, can be pessimistic

Saslou

MBTI Type
ESFJ
Yayyyy ..

does not like being alone, thinks life has purpose/meaning, organized, values organized religion, outgoing, social, does not like strange people/things - likely intolerant of differences , open, easy to read, dislikes science fiction, values relationships and families over intellectual pursuits, group oriented, follows the rules, affectionate, planner, regular, orderly, clean, finisher, religious, consults others before acting, content, positive, loves getting massages, complimentary, dutiful, loving, considerate, altruistic

Does not like being alone - can spend 5 mins alone before becoming emo - Can spend time alone
Values organised religion - Because heaven forbid i have a mind of my own - Not necessarily into religion
Does not like strange people/things - Was this written by an xNxx who got their heart broken by an ESFJ - Openminded
values friendship/family over intellectual persuits - Just chain me to the sink now - May find values outside the home
Follow the rules - Thats what i want you to think - Rules are not set in stone
Finisher - No, i start and let others finish - May finish
Loves getting massages .. Rephrase that SAS REALLY LOVES GETTING MASSAGES, lol - LOVES GETTING MASSAGES
Dutiful - Only until i won't take no more, then i walk away and i will never look back - dutiful until you've taken the absolute piss

Robopop

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

The biggest problem with humans of every type, is that no one thinks their shit stinks and that they are all perfect..

The only one I see really whining in this thread is you, get over it!!!:alttongue:

Such Irony

Honor Thy Inferior
MBTI Type
INtp
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
INTP

disorganized
Messy

Not all Ps are disorganized or messy. I've never found these descriptors to be a very reliable indicator of J/P

likes science fiction

Not all INTPs like science fiction and several other types do. The statement seems very stereotypical- if you are this type than you like this.

familiar with the darkside

This is just plain weird. Why would INTPs be any more or less familiar with the darkside? And what exactly is the darkside anyway? Very vague term.

does not think they are weird but others do

My experience has been the opposite. Most INTPs know they are rather different from the norm and they are aware of ways in which they might be perceived as 'weird' by others.

does not like happy people

Depressed INTPs, maybe. I don't see this applying the the majority of INTPs, or the majority of any type for that matter.

more likely to support marijuana legalization

LOL! Personally I support it but I don't think political views belong in a type description. Do INTPs tend to be more liberal in their views? Maybe, maybe not. I do think INTPs are more likely than average to challenge certain political beliefs. They aren't likely to believe in something just because the majority does.

The rest of the stuff may not describe every INTP but I do see INTPs as having more of a tendency towards those behaviors than most other types.

No type description is failproof. There will always be people of the said type who won't fit it 100%

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Um well Similar Minds is a an excessively negative web site, anyway. It basically describes all the types by their weaknesses, in case you haven't noticed. There are lots of other type descriptions on the web.

Just go to Google and type in "Keirsey INFJ" for example. It should be more helpful.

Rebe

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4sop
I am doing this for fun.

attracted to sad things -> wtf ...
disorganized -> not really, i know where my things are.
acts without planning -> i plan
more likely to support marijuana legalization -> haven't decided about this yet...
likes the rain -> wtf!
can be submissive -> no way baby cakes

oh okay, the others are pretty true. meh. so what, lots of different types have the same negative traits. a lot of these things are basic human issues. be aware of weaknesses, improve weaknesses.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram

Most general problem most often is to make people sensitive for the fact that they are having errors. if you could do that with some good type descriptions you could prolly even make a lot of money with it :).

But you definitly would need to love humanity for that, to put so much effort in it

Ingenue

Mmmm, perhaps I should bold a few more:

Words I'd replace:

wild and crazy - spontaneous and fun
irresponsible - flexible/easygoing
irrational - passionate/emotional
seductive - charming, in a cute way.
dangerous - willing to try new things/ideas

Hm. The words you bolded sound more like me (ISTP), though depends on who is doing the describing.

Anyway, the ISTP description is more or less apt. I just have issues with the favored careers (come on, it can't think of better ideas than different kinds of engineers?). As for disfavored careers, they are mostly performers (actor, singer, teacher, etc), which is fine, but it obscures the fact that ISTPs often approach their careers as a kind of performance.

LunarMoon

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram

He has a good point. People often complain about how ridiculously positive all of the type description, with the exception of a few (the xxSJs, ESFPs, ENTJs), are, which is why gems such as The Brutally Honest Personality Test were created. Are INFPs irrational? In comparison to INTPs, yes, yes they are, and I find it more realistic to list a smattering of negative qualities with good ones rather than to turn each type into its own Mary Sue.

As for the ENTJ description of Similarminds, I have no problem with it. It’s the only description on the Internet that doesn’t depict ENTJs as a collection of 2-dimensional Saturday Morning Cartoon Villains. That includes the descriptive trait “narcissistic” because God knows that if any type out of the 16 could be accurately described that way that it would be the xNTJs.