• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

How long could you sit and enter numbers in a database before u NEED to take a break?

How long could you sit and enter numbers in a database without you NEED take break?

• I am an S, I could do it 6+ hours, before I *need* to take a break.

Votes: 1 1.8%
  • I am an N, I could do it 6+ hours, before I *need* to take a break.

Votes: 7 12.5%
  • I am an S, I could do it 4 hours tops, before I need to take a break.

• I am an N, I could do it 4 hours tops, before I need to take a break.

Votes: 3 5.4%
  • I am an S, I could do it 3 hours tops, before I need to take a break.

• I am an N, I could do it 3 hours tops, before I need to take a break.

• I am an S, I could do it 2 hours tops, before I need to take a break.

• I am an N, I could do it 2 hours tops, before I need to take a break.

Votes: 8 14.3%
  • I am an N, I could do it 1 hours tops, before I need to take a break.

Votes: 4 7.1%
  • I am an S, I could do it 1 hours tops, before I need to take a break.

• I am an S, I could do it 30-60 minutes.

Votes: 2 3.6%
  • I am an N, I could do it 30-60 minutes.

Votes: 7 12.5%
  • I am an S, I could do it 0-30 minutes.

• I am an N, I could do it 0-30 minutes.

Votes: 12 21.4%
  • I am not sure about N/S letter, I could do it *less* than 2 hours before I need to take a break.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I am not sure about N/S letter, I could do it *more* than 2 hours before I need to take a break.

• I am not sure about N/S letter, I could do it less than 1 hours before I need to take a break.

• I am not sure about N/S letter, I could do it 1-2 hour before I need to take a break.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Chloe

So, this will be anonymous Poll. Please be maximally honest. There is no right/wrong answer.

So.
Question is in the title. If you could "if your life depends on it" do it long, then dont put that answer, answer must be about your natural state. So, if you respect your needs, body etc. And also, dont answer that you'd like to take a break after x minutes to do something more fun. Because, you should view it like it's your JOB, and the break is only because you are tired/going nuts, not because there are more fun things to do.

ALSO: If you are not VERY sure of your S/N letter, then answer "i am unsure". VERY=80%+, I'd say. :D

CrystalViolet

lab rat extraordinaire
MBTI Type
XNFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Ah, it depends on what the numbers are for...but I have to do it at times for my work. I'm answering as if I have to enter in test results.

KDude

A break every hour, I guess. And I'd be gone for 10 minutes. I had a job similar to that once.. there was a tracking system actually, and at the end of the week, I was always one of the top 5 performers, if not the first or second. It marked accuracy and speed, so my frequent breaking didn't make much of a difference.

Chloe

A break every hour, I guess. And I'd be gone for 10 minutes. I had a job similar to that once.. there was a tracking system actually, and at the end of the week, I was always one of the top 5 performers, if not the first or second. It marked accuracy and speed, so my frequent breaking didn't make much of a difference.

i guess you will answer the poll under "i am not sure about N/S" - right? :)

Chloe

Depends on a day, but I dont think I could ever do it more than 1 hour without a break. I put 30-60 mins in poll.

Eckhart

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
???
I have seriously no idea, since I have not really experiences I could compare it to.

If it is something in my own interest, I guess I could take it on for some time, but if not then probably not too long.

Chloe

I have seriously no idea, since I have not really experiences I could compare it to.

If it is something in my own interest, I guess I could take it on for some time, but if not then probably not too long.

just imagine a friend asks you for a help, to enter numbers in a computer. you dont even know what are numbers about... example it's his company's anual report.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
If I am just entering numbers to enter numbers, without my life depending on it, and without being monitored, and without having any sort of probable heavy punishment, based on past experience, I'd probably work for about five minutes every hour and the rest of the time be off on some more interesting mission.

... although I'd probably get more numbers into the system in those five minutes than most people would in 15.

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I think I could do it for 48 hours straight if I had to. 16 hours would be easy. None of your answers are long enough.

Chloe

I am an N, I could do it 6+ hours, before I *need* to take a break.

this is your answer, highlander.
2nd on the poll, i put 2x S instead of N.

you are sure you wouldnt need to take 10 mins breaks now and then, so it doesnt become too hard to do ?

Tallulah

Emerging
MBTI Type
INTP
I could probably do it for an hour without a break, but I'd be thinking of other things. I don't mind doing mindless data entry for short periods of time, because I can let my mind wander and still remain accurate. But if that was my actual job, I wouldn't last long. The boredom would kill me.

kelric

Feline Member
MBTI Type
INtP
If I am just entering numbers to enter numbers, without my life depending on it, and without being monitored, and without having any sort of probable heavy punishment, based on past experience, I'd probably work for about five minutes every hour and the rest of the time be off on some more interesting mission.

... although I'd probably get more numbers into the system in those five minutes than most people would in 15.

I could probably do it for an hour without a break, but I'd be thinking of other things. I don't mind doing mindless data entry for short periods of time, because I can let my mind wander and still remain accurate. But if that was my actual job, I wouldn't last long. The boredom would kill me.

As usual, I'm in the same mold as Jennifer and Talullah. I'm generally *very* good at stuff like that, when it comes to a "work done per minute" sort of metric. But that's only for the minutes that I'm actually working :D. My mind will wander, and I'll start to space out, etc.

One summer when I was in college (that is, when I wasn't hunting dinosaurs or marveling at the discovery of fire), I worked in a factory that made electrical devices. My job was basically to put components (diodes, resistors, capacitors, etc.) on circuit boards by hand. For hours on end. Since it was physical, it wasn't quite as susceptible to a total "zone-out" as starting at a monitor and entering data is, but it had some similarities. I could get into a zone and get a LOT done... but it wasn't something that I'd want to do for long. But it was a job, I was good at it, and although it wasn't something I'd necessarily want to do long-term, I probably could. Just get into the zone of physical activity and let my mind go where it will.

But how long without a break of any sort? Probably a couple of hours. But really, any sane employer for tasks like that will let people take a short 5 minute break every hour or two anyway. Otherwise I'd think you'll almost certainly get people slipping and making a lot more errors, etc. Not to mention introducing a higher incidence of repetitive stress injuries, etc.

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
you are sure you wouldnt need to take 10 mins breaks now and then, so it doesnt become too hard to do ?

Thought about this afterwards - I'd need to take an occasional break to pee.

October Rust

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
I could do it for quite a while, as I seem to be able to think about other more interesting things and still retain accuracy. But after too long I start to get restless and I just want to get out of there! 3 hours tops. It depends on how I'm feeling, of course. But if I actually got the right amount of sleep and ate properly, I could probably do it even longer.