• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

The Keirsey/Function Theory Conflict

Which

• I am the same type in function theory and Keirsey temperament assessment

Votes: 9 56.3%
  • I am different types in function theory and Keirsey temperament assessment

Votes: 5 31.3%
  • I prefer function theory.

Votes: 10 62.5%
  • I prefer Keirsey temperament assessment.

Votes: 1 6.3%
  • I equally prefer both or don't know.

Votes: 3 18.8%

• Total voters

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
So how does it feel when you're the same type on Keirsey tests and function theory? What's that like? I know it happens to some people!

How many people here follow Keirsey, and how many follow function theory, and how many just don't know? In my observation most people on this forum follow function theory or at least try to.

I am Keirsey INFJ and function theory ENFP.

Red Herring

Superwoman
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Keirsey got me into personality types, so I´m a bit biased. I like that it is a neat coherent system based on self description, whioch makes it easier to defend. it´s been comparatively easy to convince people of that. Cognitive function theory has always sounded a bit esoteric to me and I have not yet been able to sell it to anyone :)
I´m still to find any empirical basis for it. Maybe it´s just my lack of knowledge talking, but from what I´ve seen on the forum, a suspiciousöy high number of people here have a messed up function order and there doesn´t seem to be a clear consensus on the function´s definitions either. So I´m a bit sceptical, even though it´s fun to say "Hey, that was Ne I just used!".

INtP on Keirsey, eNTP on function tests (equal Ti and Ne even though I come out a clear introvert on dichotomy based tests)

wolfy

awsm
In Keirsey I am a solid SP. In functions I am a solid isxp.

Such Irony

Honor Thy Inferior
MBTI Type
INtp
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I'm INTJ on Kiersey and INTP on functions. J is pretty weak on Kiersey though- about 60%.

I've also noticed that different tests give different results. Lenore Thomson's test also types me INTJ and the way Lenore describes J and P, I'm definitely more J. However, I only so-so relate to her Ni description. I identify more with her Ti description and even her Si one.

Function tests usually type me as INTP or INFP even though Fi is supposedly my demonic function. Either the questions are a poor reflection on what Fi is really all about or I didn't have a very good self-understanding taking that test.

The MBTI step II has me pegged as INTP. Moderate I, N, and P. Clear T.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
What is the difference?

Keirsey bases type on just the four letters - like INFJ or ISTP - without any discussion of which functions are being used, and holistic type descriptions. That means I'm Introverted Intuitive Feeling Judger, but not that I have Fe or Ni.

Function theory, on the other hand, explains more subtle behaviors on strength of functions, which some people prefer as being more accurate, finding Keirsey over-simplified. Then again, people who prefer Keirsey think that function theory is too convuluted and difficult to prove, because of sketchy definitions, and the simple fact that although you may recognize functions within yourself, it's pretty hard to prove in other people. In fact it's quite presumptuous to assume you know what motivates another person, since functions aren't supposed to be based on outward behavior, but motives for outward behavior.

Some people take function theory so far that I think it's insane. On the other hand, Keirsey does lack subtlety, and attempts to put people in just sixteen plain little boxes.

I'm definitely INFJ in Keirsey because I test it over and over and over again, and have for years on Keirsey type tests, and when someone from this web site who prefers Keirsey met me, he confirmed that he believes I'm INFJ.

HOWEVER, if you asked anyone else on this forum if I'm INFJ - well at least anyone who subscribes to function theory - they'd probably laugh at you, insisting that I clearly use Ne/Fi/Te/Si, and I'd kind of have to agree.

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I dunno, if Keirsey is more equated to dichotomy-type tests, I'm INTJ with Keirsey and to a certain extent INTJ when it comes to most type descriptions (although it's a tossup at this point..it's like different components of myself are in both). However I seem to be INFJ with functions. Temperamentally, I've always related to some elements of NT quite a lot and other elements of NF. Even on temperament tests I'm fairly even between NF and NT.

gromit

likes this
Thanks for explaining, marm. I don't know if I'm different on the two systems. I relate a lot to Fi, as far as I can understand it, so probably IxFP or even xxFP. In terms of temperament I feel like it's quite close between SP and NF (is that also Keirsey, like Artisans and Guardians and stuff?).

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I'm a Keirsey ENTP and a function theory ESTP... I prefer function theory- Keirsey just seems like an oversimplification to get people interested to me :thinking:

Onceajoan

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
1w2
I dunno, if Keirsey is more equated to dichotomy-type tests, I'm INTJ with Keirsey and to a certain extent INTJ when it comes to most type descriptions (although it's a tossup at this point..it's like different components of myself are in both). However I seem to be INFJ with functions. Temperamentally, I've always related to some elements of NT quite a lot and other elements of NF. Even on temperament tests I'm fairly even between NF and NT.

Me too. ^ Limitation of test for those who stradle the middle. No type description for INXJ.

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
i'm a solid NFP in keirsey... i'm so far to the N, F, and P sides that all of those seem pretty clear, even with the slightly different definitions. my Sensing is shitty and my Thinking is okay, but definitely not as good as, and also not preferred over, my Feeling. i'm also very go-with-the-flow. i suck at decisions so much, lol.

but as for I/E, i really don't know. part of me feels more Healer, and part more Champion. the Healer seems too selfless to me but the Champion seems too exuberant. i feel like i fall in between them. Championing Healer? Healing Champion...?

i do prefer function theory. it seems to account for the perspective differences more clearly than temperament. there's just more information to work with.

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
When it comes to the 4 letter dichotomies, I test INxP; some tests are slightly T & others slightly F. Of Keirsey's temperaments, I can see myself in the idealists & the rationals & even a bit in the artisans. I would say that the word "Idealist" is the best label for me though, whatever the temperament supposedly entails. I suppose I'd still be INFP then, even though the martyr-esque profile does not resonate with me (actually NONE of Keirsey's profiles resonate with me).

As for function theory, I am definitely FiNe. I prefer function theory, as it describes my mindset better. Keirsey's behavior typings feel like caricatures to me.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Interesting. Mainly what I'm seeing here is a difference in one letter, while what I have is a difference in interaction style. At least I stay in the same group though (NF).

I'd say IRL my interaction style probably is more IxxJ...people call me mysterious, quiet, and organized. Some people who met me in person from Type C seem to think I come across as IxFJ. I can be kind of withdrawn and judgey. But then again, I prefer things to be open-ended, I'm always late, I like a certain amount of structure but not schedules so much. However, I've been told that INFJs care the least about actual external order.

AND THEN, people who interact with me frequently here say that they see so much Ne/Fi and that any organization or other J traits I appear to have come from developed tertiary Te, not Fe. It is true that I am showing my "inner self" here, because I'm writing out my ideas and feelings, so they probably are correct.

I seem to be more motivated by Fi and Te than by Fe and Ti.