• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Introverted Feeling: A Quick Reference Guide

Jaguar

Key Feature:

Lets talk about Fi kids! :banana:

Last edited by a moderator:

William K

Uniqueorn
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Thanks for posting this, Jaguar.

Kinda scary to see so many points hitting close to home :D

Reveal clues to their core values through the level of passion in their voice when they speak about what's important to them.

Also in the sparkle in their eyes and how animated they become

Moiety

MBTI Type
ISFJ
"Have unquestioning faith in their own values."

^I don't know if agree with that one.

William K

Uniqueorn
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5

Well, that is under the heading "When people are using their preferred Introverted Feeling:"
If they are unsure of whether they value something, then I'd say they aren't using Fi at all

Moiety

MBTI Type
ISFJ
Well, that is under the heading "When people are using their preferred Introverted Feeling:"
If they are unsure of whether they value something, then I'd say they aren't using Fi at all

Oops sorry. I meant to quote : "Assumes everyone's values are absolute so there is no sense in disputing them."

Savage Idealist

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Excellent assertion; I agree with about pretty much all of it.

E

Epiphany

Overall, I agree with most of these. Thanks for posting.

Oops sorry. I meant to quote : "Assumes everyone's values are absolute so there is no sense in disputing them."

However, I questioned these two, as well; especially for those with a Perceiving preference who like to consider all possibilities before making a decision. Something as important as values should be carefully considered and constantly reevaluated to determine if they are valid. If somebody holds onto the same values throughout their entire life, I would think they are either highly intelligent and devoted since they had it all figured out from childhood or they are very stubborn and ignorant to never question their values. Maybe I'm not an INFP, but I do believe I sway that way. I certainly don't think other people's values are absolute either. It's obvious that a lot of people are confused or base their values on whatever is popular, which is a value in and of itself; but I don't think that everyone is bound by unwavering values.

KDude

Agreed. I'm hardly absolutist either. Is it more of a Ti thing to put your principles back on the drawing board, in light of experience, evidence, etc..? Fi types are too subjective to be colored by experience? That's hardcore.

PeaceBaby

reborn
MBTI Type
N/A
Enneagram
N/A
I haven't read this book, but is Leona Haas an INFJ? Reading this description of Fi sure sounds like it to me ..... must go research this.

EDIT: Yes, she is.

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
^ Did you find it negative in comparison to the other type quick references posted thus far? I did....I don't know if that's just me being sensitive though. There's something kind of oversimplified about it too. It's not that I don't relate to it, but it feels very much like someone looking at me from the outside. It doesn't really say anything about how values are formed or how the thought process actually works, as the other descriptions seem to do. Maybe it's that Fi "demands a more than ordinary descriptive or artistic ability before the real wealth of [it] can be even approximately presented or communicated to the world."

Agreed. I'm hardly absolutist either. Is it more of a Ti thing to put your principles back on the drawing board, in light of experience, evidence, etc..? Fi types are too subjective to be colored by experience? That's hardcore.

That sounds like your Se talking (so to speak)....of course a Fi-dom's thinking is greatly influenced by their Pe function. We're not living in a bubble...

Snuggletron

Reptilian
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Fi checks objective ethic with subjective ethic. Whereas Ti+Fe would observe objective ethics with a critical perspective, Fi+Te observes objective ethics in accordance with inner harmony. Te sees what is good/bad with what is widely accepted as what makes sense. Fi would override this by deciding which goods and evils feel right, and rejects those that don't. I guess.

a person can't come to creating his or her ethical principles without both functions together. Each create a balance. Pure Fi ethic would be too personal and might hurt others, and pure Te ethic is unquestioning and may hurt the self.

KDude

That sounds like your Se talking (so to speak)....of course a Fi-dom's thinking is greatly influenced by their Pe function. We're not living in a bubble...

Se and just.... introspection too. I mull over plenty of things in both Ti and Ni ways, I think. On one hand, I might examine how something isn't making "logical" sense.. or I might set it all aside at times and every once in awhile find some insight later like Ni types describe. Or, it could be as something as mundane as sitting around reading - and say, I come across a section that's kind of in conflict with some beliefs. I have a choice to be subjective and non-negotiable and put the book aside. Or just keep reading and give it the benefit of the doubt. If it ends up sounding reasonable, I might change my perspective. The way I imagine a "Non-negotiable" person behaving is to just close their ears, say "La la la la la" and stick with their convictions. I have convictions, but even those came about through experience and introspection. It's all an evolutionary process. I wouldn't know the first thing about being so static. This goes without mentioning that Fi is described as having not been influenced by values in culture or on the outside. Which isn't me either.

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
^ i was surprised by the emphasis on non-negotiability too. i agree that this seems like an outsider's view...

for instance:
Until a value is violated, nothing brings out their effort or energy to be involved.

that's true, to an extent, but it is in a sort of strange light. it's not the way i would ever think of phrasing it. more like i prefer to let others choose their own paths of being until a value is violated. this makes it sound like a hunk of metal that you have to have the right key to start up, but that's not my personal perception of Fi at all. it's not like Fi isn't "on"; it just doesn't take an active role like Fe does.

ah, i know. the description makes Fi sound cold and rigid. to those of us who posses Fi dom/tert, it rather feels warm and steady.

and nice guess there, btw, PB. i agree that this feels like an INFJ-y description. it reminds me of the way vicky jo talks about INFPs.

so. what IxFP volunteers to reword the list? ;)

KDude

It shouldn't be me. It'd be nice if there were clearer definitions though. More power to whoever does it. I like Lenore Thomson's book (and her definition of Fi), but it's not easy to reconcile exactly with other definitions. There's a lot of conflicting information out there. And the more I take it all into account, the more unclear I am about my own type. Everyone and their mom has a brand spanking new theory (I'm exaggerating, but still). How is a person supposed to rely on things that way? I was sort of just expecting to be a mere participant of MBTI discussion, but it won't be long before I become a full blown theorist, trying to make sense of all of it. Not what I wanted to do. :laugh:

slowriot

He who laughs
Enneagram
5w4
^ Did you find it negative in comparison to the other type quick references posted thus far? I did....I don't know if that's just me being sensitive though. There's something kind of oversimplified about it too. It's not that I don't relate to it, but it feels very much like someone looking at me from the outside. It doesn't really say anything about how values are formed or how the thought process actually works, as the other descriptions seem to do. Maybe it's that Fi "demands a more than ordinary descriptive or artistic ability before the real wealth of [it] can be even approximately presented or communicated to the world."

Its a quick reference, should be seen as only that, but a rather good one if you ask me.

Edit: I just read others response to this. Wow. I think that when I read this, I came to see a person that is very warm, has a lot of good qualities, strong values with a human face. I dont see this as cold, impersonal or anything like that.

Plus there is no need to rewrite this. This good stuff

PeaceBaby

reborn
MBTI Type
N/A
Enneagram
N/A
it's not the way i would ever think of phrasing it.

Agreed; most of the list reads this way to me too.

According to these descriptions, all of the altruistic stuff I have done in my life to help other people falls under the purview of Fe motivation. Fi by contrast here appears self-absorbed and extremely rigid.

It's too simplistic to split them in this manner.

and nice guess there, btw, PB. i agree that this feels like an INFJ-y description. it reminds me of the way vicky jo talks about INFPs.

Yes, it felt like that to me as I read through.

Last edited:

gromit

likes this
It seemed pretty neutral to me. Thanks for posting Jaguar. :)

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
So Fi users think the Fe guide is too good and the Fi guide is not good enough?

Moiety

MBTI Type
ISFJ
So Fi users think the Fe guide is too good and the Fi guide is not good enough?

I can't say I remember all too well what was said in either of them, but I will say if FJs have empathy as a gift and FPs don't then the author was high.