• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Extraverted Feeling: A Quick Reference Guide

Jaguar

Snoopy_dancing.gif

Last edited:

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
bumpity bumpity bump bump.

i :heart: Fe

They have a strong presence in any room, everyone is aware of them.

lol! it's true

William K

Uniqueorn
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
*mutters* Fe has 8 gifts while Fi only has 5 *mutters* :tongue:

slowriot

He who laughs
Enneagram
5w4
Good stuff.

I can see myself get in to a Fe mode sometimes. Or atleast as that other slowriot telling me how to act properly inside my head. The way I look at social interaction is through Fe, while Ne is the pattern recognition, thought driven subordinate to my Ti.

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I think it's a great description.

(The only aspect of ANY Fe description and discussion I've never been able to wrap my head around is the social convention piece, as I am unable to recognize that within myself and my own behaviors, but that's not to say it shouldn't belong in the description)

PeaceBaby

reborn
MBTI Type
N/A
Enneagram
N/A
You know, Fe being attributed as the source of all the F goodness in the world really trods on Fi based giving and altruism. I take exception to these overly glowy descriptions of Fe; where is the dark side? Where is the balance?

tinker683

Whackus Bonkus
MBTI Type
ISFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
You know, Fe being attributed as the source of all the F goodness in the world really trods on Fi based giving and altruism. I take exception to these overly glowy descriptions of Fe; where is the dark side? Where is the balance?

TROOF!

As much as I like my Fe-aux, PeaceBaby is right that Fi does plenty of good all it's own right and deserves just as much recognition!

(Talk about a totally Fe response :laugh:)

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

I agree Fi users do a lot of good, and I didn't comment on the other piece of Fe that I personally don't relate to - I'm most definitely not a social crusader and in that sense I think I relate to a handful of the Fi bullet points moreso than Fe - in terms of my own values. I've never ever been one who needs to impact people-related things on a large scale (or even on a community-based scale). I am obviously not an Fe-dom, though, so I'm sure that plays a big role in this.

So under Fi from your perspective is this statement inaccurate? •Bringing their inner system of values to fruition in the real world is usually not important to them.

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper

I'm sure an NFP will start a "Fe is mean and insincere and manipulated my [ loved one] into [awful deed]" post/thread soon and balance will be restored. Patience!

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
^ LOL, perhaps Jock. :)

Yes, and I posted more on that in the Fi thread. I am sure though many other Fi people won't feel as I do, and that likely comes not only from our own personal value systems, but from enneagram as well.

I think somehow, my being an SO dom makes some kind of difference in this matter too. ?? Just speculating now. What do you think? I am sure not all Fe-doms or aux's feel like they are the poster children of love and compassion in the world either as represented here.

I'm sure the so-dom plays a pretty big role. For myself, since learning of enneagram, I've often thought that enneagram (5w4 sp/so) does a much better job of explaining 'who am I' then mbti does. In other words, I often relate much more to fellow e5's on many things over INFJ's.

Also I think it helps to remember that these are all-encompassing, general descriptions. Very high level. As such, I don't think most are going to relate 100% to every little piece, especially taking into account other processes that we use in conjunction with our dominant. I mean, I've never related 100% to all Fe bullet points, but I don't believe that means the points aren't valid. It's the same with INFJ profiles; there are many bullets in the profiles that don't resonate with me, and instead INTJ resonates in place of them. Seeing as everyone on this forum thinks I'm INFJ, I will then assume this is because of my 5w4 sp enneagram. Or of course any number of other non-mbti psychological things or individualized aspects that I've built up from my own peculiar set of life experiences.

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
This is unhealthy. How is that for [part of] the Fe darkside?

Nah....that's just a way of saying that Fe-doms are sooo nice & selfless that they overlook their own needs. That's not a real "flaw". That's like when you go on a job interview and claim your weakness is being a perfectionist; "My one flaw is that I am too perfect". :rolli: .

These following points just seem like Feeling to me, not exclusive to Fe or Fi:

Compassion.
Empathy
A knack for appreciating and valuing others for who they are and the gifts that they possess.
They often defend people.
Seeks to understand what is important to others.

I just know about people. I know what they need and want.
I am a good listener and advisor
My values shape how I live.

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Nah....that's just a way of saying that Fe-doms are sooo nice & selfless that they overlook their own needs. That's not a real "flaw". That's like when you go on a job interview and claim your weakness is being a perfectionist; "My one flaw is that I am too perfect". :rolli: .

I think you're putting a positive spin on what can be quite negative as far as our own health & sanity is concerned. It can be and IS a flaw, and it's definitely been a serious stressor in my own life - so it's not all for the good. Just as in the Fi thread many Fi-doms are putting negative spins on their bullet points which can be quite positive -- i.e. being non-negotiable. To be that firm and steadfast in your values? That can be quite positive and good. Why the negative spin on the Fi bullets? Why not try to look at all statements in both descriptions objectively and neutrally? There can be good and bad in each, honestly. And, after all, Fi is an *internal* process - thus it's not going to have the same sorts of bullet points as Fe would, because Fe is externally based. So in Fi, you're not going to see an emphasis on external concerns/focuses, because that's not Fi. Now, that CAN be Fi in conjunction with Ne or Se. But it's not Fi.

Honestly Fi and Fe shouldn't be compared. Fi and Ti *could* be compared/contrasted to one another, just as Fe/Te or Ni/Si, but Fi and Fe? Eh.

Or maybe I'm being ridiculous. Which is possible.

Z Buck McFate

Pepperidge Farm remembers.
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
This is unhealthy. How is that for [part of] the Fe darkside?

Nah....that's just a way of saying that Fe-doms are sooo nice & selfless that they overlook their own needs. That's not a real "flaw".

It usually works out to be a flaw, imo. It's one thing to consider and accept what your own needs are, then mindfully arrive at the more generous choice. But when someone neglects their own physical or emotional needs for the sake of <whatever group>, it's not like their needs go away just because they're being overlooked. It's not healthy to depend on group dynamics to define what one's needs should be. When there's a need that isn't accounted for with established group dynamics, the individual can end up feeling like there's something wrong with him/herself for having a need they aren't able to effectively overlook (when really, they shouldn't be trying to ignore it in the first place).

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I think you're putting a positive spin on what can be quite negative as far as our own health & sanity is concerned. It can be and IS a flaw, and it's definitely been a serious stressor in my own life - so it's not all for the good. Just as in the Fi thread many Fi-doms are putting negative spins on their bullet points which can be quite positive -- i.e. being non-negotiable. To be that firm and steadfast in your values? That can be quite positive and good. Why the negative spin on the Fi bullets? Why not try to look at all statements in both descriptions objectively and neutrally? There can be good and bad in each, honestly. And, after all, Fi is an *internal* process - thus it's not going to have the same sorts of bullet points as Fe would, because Fe is externally based. So in Fi, you're not going to see an emphasis on external concerns/focuses, because that's not Fi. Now, that CAN be Fi in conjunction with Ne or Se. But it's not Fi.

Honestly Fi and Fe shouldn't be compared. Fi and Ti *could* be compared/contrasted to one another, just as Fe/Te or Ni/Si, but Fi and Fe? Eh.

Or maybe I'm being ridiculous. Which is possible.

Both Fi & Fe are the same function of Feeling, to judge based on value, but they have different attitudes (I/E), so that value is determined from different sources. So in a sense, Fi is comparable to Ti in that they are both Ji, but Fe & Fi are comparable in that they both judge based on Feeling. This is why MBTI tests just seek to gauge Feeling as opposed to Fi/Fe separately (which is a problem with the tests sometimes).

I'm not putting the positive spin on Fe here...the author is. It's sugar-coated. As for "real" flaws of Fe, what about mob mentality, for one? There is a slight indication that Fe smothers (They want to nurture people, whether or not the people need to be nurtured)....but it's glossed over.

I don't think the Fi bullets are negative so much as limited & one-sided. The wording is less sugary, which would be okay if it was more of a synopsis & less of a single frame. Yes, Fi is very much internal, but the internal process was actually not described much at all. It was very much Fi as it appears from the outside.

V

violaine

...what can be quite negative as far as our own health & sanity is concerned. It can be and IS a flaw, and it's definitely been a serious stressor in my own life - so it's not all for the good.

+1

There is def a dark side to Fe but it might seem hidden as it effects the user more obviously than others. Perhaps it's secondary Fe users I'm talking about. Idk. The way I view it is that other's needs are in sharp focus, (I know what they need, even when they don't!) but my own needs are something remote to me. I don't even really think about my needs in the day to day. In the long term that leads to minimizing oneself. Very unhealthy way to live.

Being other focused makes it hard work to maintain your own boundaries to be an equal partner in a relationship. Which is what one needs to have good relationships. I think I have set myself up in the past to not get what I really want because I am so low key about my own needs that for all intents and purposes, I don't let a partner take care of me.

So, what I think of as having "Fe sensibilities" can make a person very vulnerable and unhappy without really knowing why. Fe users can land squarely on the codependent side of things if they aren't careful.

Fe users need to work hard to develop good boundaries. I think those Fe users who don't have good boundaries when outwardly projecting are the ones who try to steamroll others and can smother others but Fe users who turn it inward can end up in all kinds of knots which make them a little hard to really know. There is another life going on inside. (As I think INFJs are, not exclusively but much of the time.)

...I also wonder if Fe is linked to the INFJ doorslam. Give, give, give, give, suddenly realize to your own horror that you are being taken advantage of, doorslam to protect self. Must be really confusing from an outsider's POV. Better to monitor boundaries more closely from the outset.

AND! Thanks for posting Jaguar, very insightful, much to reflect upon.

Tiltyred

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
The Gifts make me cringe a little. Fe is all up in everybody else's business.

mochajava

MBTI Type
INFJ
violaine Fe users need to work hard to develop good boundaries. I think those Fe users who don't have good boundaries when outwardly projecting are the ones who try to steamroll others and can smother others but Fe users who turn it inward can end up in all kinds of knots which make them a little hard to really know. There is another life going on inside. (As I think INFJs are, not exclusively but much of the time.)

...I also wonder if Fe is linked to the INFJ doorslam. Give, give, give, give, suddenly realize to your own horror that you are being taken advantage of, doorslam to protect self. Must be really confusing from an outsider's POV. Better to monitor boundaries more closely from the outset.

AND! Thanks for posting Jaguar, very insightful, much to reflect upon. /

Violaine explained it so, so well that she deserves a Typology Central medal :) I've been consciously thinking/working on boundaries a lot recently, mainly trying to see relationships for what they ARE and not what I'd love/need them to be. And trying to gently distance myself from people who just take a lot, but never give. I am thinking of starting a thread on defining healthy boundaries -- interested?

Tiltyred The Gifts make me cringe a little. Fe is all up in everybody else's business.

I wanna get all up in your business, barren crone!