• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Introverted Sensing: A Quick Reference Guide

Jaguar

Introverted Sensing: Quick Reference Guide

A Guide

Last edited:

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
sweet :yes:

question for Si users - do you integrate other people's experiences into your Si too, or is it all personal experience? like if someone tells you a story about what happened to them, is that useful to utilize too? i'm figuring probably yes but it's not trusted as much as your own experience?

i wish i had better Si. i would love to remember things so vividly.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
I relate to a lot of Si, just without the precision in order or detail. I seriously relate to every point EXCEPT wanting to follow strict sequential order and being gifted with detail, though I am able to pay more attention to detail in writing than some other things.

Skylights, I would think other people's stories would be helpful to anyone, as long as they were relevant to the situation or to history. Then again, I love both stories and history, and my mother - while not interested in writing like me - is very much an oral "story teller."

G

Ginkgo

I identify with this in the same way Marm does. However, my oral "story telling" abilities tend to be more scattered and less sequential. I'm assuming that's Ne wanting to weave connections and get to the more interesting or abstract parts.

I like these descriptions because the writer deliberately listed gifts and contributions, which is a fresh breath of air compared to the negative clouds of pestilence that we sometimes find...

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
This was amusing to read as a contrast to Ni. I can relate to a couple of elements of Si - I am attuned to my physical body pretty well, I think, and I have strong 'feeling associations' with certain past events: I notably lack any detail retention, however.

I was more amused by reading all of the bullet points at my epic Si-FAIL. I believe it's one reason I'm an abysmal storyteller -- sequential events and details? Forget it!! Also I really smiled at the part where it said the Si-er's internal memory is more vivid/rich than a photograph would be, and that photographs aren't as necessary, etc. I'm completely opposite - one reason my photographs are so important to me is *because* they take me back and make me feel I'm there again. Same goes with my journals - honestly when I reread stuff from 5-10 yrs ago, I often go.. 'huh... I forgot about that!' It's a motive for my journaling, actually - to 'record' all of this stuff that I know I'm going to forget. It's a source of amusement for my INTP brother as well - we constantly come across instances where I've completely forgotten about some such thing, and he mentions it or mentions what I did, and I go..'Oh.. yeah.. I forgot about that!' *both of us chuckle and make fun of me* The rare occasion where I remember something that he doesn't - well, that shocks us both, I think, and of course I'm tickled. :smile:

G

Ginkgo

This was amusing to read as a contrast to Ni. I can relate to a couple of elements of Si - I am attuned to my physical body pretty well, I think, and I have strong 'feeling associations' with certain past events: I notably lack any detail retention, however.

I was more amused by reading all of the bullet points at my epic Si-FAIL. I believe it's one reason I'm an abysmal storyteller -- sequential events and details? Forget it!! Also I really smiled at the part where it said the Si-er's internal memory is more vivid/rich than a photograph would be, and that photographs aren't as necessary, etc. I'm completely opposite - one reason my photographs are so important to me is *because* they take me back and make me feel I'm there again. Same goes with my journals - honestly when I reread stuff from 5-10 yrs ago, I often go.. 'huh... I forgot about that!' It's a motive for my journaling, actually - to 'record' all of this stuff that I know I'm going to forget. It's a source of amusement for my INTP brother as well - we constantly come across instances where I've completely forgotten about some such thing, and he mentions it or mentions what I did, and I go..'Oh.. yeah.. I forgot about that!' *both of us chuckle and make fun of me* The rare occasion where I remember something that he doesn't - well, that shocks us both, I think, and of course I'm tickled. :smile:

In my experience with Ni... particularly Ni doms... they tend to absorb an almost ubiquitous amount of abstract information and then violently toss it at me in a tapestry-like vomit. It's awesome.

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
In my experience with Ni... particularly Ni doms... they tend to absorb an almost ubiquitous amount of abstract information and then violently toss it at me in a tapestry-like vomit. It's awesome.

Ha! That imagery was awesome. :laugh:

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Skylights, I would think other people's stories would be helpful to anyone, as long as they were relevant to the situation or to history.

yeah, that makes sense. i actually don't use them very much myself, so i'm kind of curious, for people who have an awesome memory.

I was more amused by reading all of the bullet points at my epic Si-FAIL.

ditto :dont::laugh:

CzeCze

RETIRED
MBTI Type
GONE
I'm interested to hear what an Si dom or aux has to say. :p

As an Si quartenary (yes it's misspelled but LOL that I even know what that is) I can relate to a lot of what was written. Except because it's my 4th dominant function, it's still a weak spot that needs development. I can see how Si would be useful to an otherwise scattered 'P'.

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I feel like my tertiary Si is incredibly frivolous. I can tell subtle differences in food I've eaten before & that's about the extent of it. It's also negative - what happened before seems a curse on the future, so better not to dwell on it.

I do relate to these parts below, but I find the reliving so uncomfortable & draining that I avoid it; I maybe review something once after the fact, as I'm removed from the moment & need to process it at some point, but after that I don't revisit memories very much. When I start to, I switch my mind o something else. I live in a fantasy world of imaginative possibilities more than the past.

I also think the seemingly unrelated emotional reaction is more of a weird Fi value trigger which makes sense to me, but maybe not to others.

I get sidetracked easily in conversation, but I thought this was Ne...I always saw it as sort of inferior Ne in Si users also. For me, the relation between two topics can be less obvious than a Si person though; it's often at a more conceptual level, & just brought up to illustrate a point. I do hate when Si-doms pull some semi related issue out in an argument to "win" it, when it doesn't solve the issue at hand.

Their most vivid memories are those that were most impactful. These memories are replayed over and over again with all the associated details and emotions. It is actually physically reliving the event and re-experiencing the same emotions.

Can get sidetracked into talking about topics that are related to the subject at hand, rather than talking about the subject itself.

May show emotional behavior even when there is nothing in the current external environment to support or explain that emotion.

Cimarron

IRL is not real
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
sweet :yes:

question for Si users - do you integrate other people's experiences into your Si too, or is it all personal experience? like if someone tells you a story about what happened to them, is that useful to utilize too? i'm figuring probably yes but it's not trusted as much as your own experience?

i wish i had better Si. i would love to remember things so vividly.

I'd say the bolded part is my answer, yes. Other people's experiences definitely count, and I save the info for later. I hear about it and say, "So that worked for them? Good to know, if I ever find myself in that situation."

I've also recognized these happening often to me, lately:

•They interpret the current situation through association with previous experiences.
•When something happens that is different from anything they have personally experienced before, they need to find something that is similar in some way so it can be used for a comparison.
•They are usually closely attuned to the physical condition of their bodies.
•The current data and experience are not real until they have been validated by comparison with a similar circumstance or experience.

There's a lot of talk about "the past," but I'm not constantly actively looking to the past. Rather, once something happens to me (or I see it or hear about it), it becomes "established information" and I assume it's just as true now as it was originally, until something contradicts it.

Si + Te takes the path of finding all the variables and pieces at our disposal, collecting the entire inventory/toolbox together first, then setting to work on the task at hand. (maybe)