• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Types and Unexpected Professions

TaylorS

Aspie Idealist
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I have an INTJ friend that has a job working with people with physical and mental disabilities.

Jae Rae

Free-Rangin' Librarian
MBTI Type
INFJ
The ENTJ teacher!)

How about an ENTJ carpenter? :)

I've had not one, but two INT massage therapists. One used to be a lawyer; she joked she went from rubbing people the wrong way to rubbing them the right way. I think she told that joke to every single client. She gave very businesslike massages. :yes:

The other was an IT guy who was also changing professions. I loved to talk to him because he knew so much about anatomy and physiology, but his bedside manner was seriously lacking. Once I asked how my back looked, meaning was it aligned correctly or whatever, and he responded "well, there seems to be more of it these days." :doh: Needless to say that was the last massage I ever got from him.

Jae Rae

wedekit

MBTI Type
INFJ
Well, I'm not sure if INFJs interested in psychological research would be typical or not. I'll end up teaching at the same time too, since that's usually how it works in college settings. I think the most typical job in psych for an INFJ would be counselor, but I don't think that would make me happy unless I had reliable patients. Meeting people for one session and not seeing them ever again sounds disheartening.

Gabe

MBTI Type
ENTP
I'm taking the same Psychology teacher for a second quarter, and he was discussing his choice to become a psychologist/teacher-researcher instead of a clinical therapist/psychiatrist. (I like him a lot and his tangents, and was wondering mildly of his MBTI type before this came up.) One of the reasons he gave was that he found that his extraverted, thinking, perceiving temperment (ExTP) wasn't all that great for listening to people's problems and helping them through them - not ideal for clinical therapy as an IxSP is.

And I was imagining him being all loud and talkative and sometimes mean as a therapist. :yes: :D

But it made me think of all the MBTI stereotype professions: the INTJ scientist, the ISTJ accoutant, the ESTP business major.... Well what about those who have taken anti-stereotype professions? (Serious real-life or hilariously imagined. Or hilarious real-life and seriously imagined.) (The ISFP lawyer! The ENTJ teacher!)

1) That guy has dumb reasons, I hope that's not really why he switched. John Beebe is an ENTP and has done therapy for over 30 years.
2) An ISFP lawyer is actually fairly likely. My INFP roomate is planning on being a lawyer, and this is an inspiring path for domfis, because law apeals to both of thier spine (hero and animus) functions. It satisfies thier dominant and reduces thier sense of inferiority around extraverted thinking.

Gabe

MBTI Type
ENTP
What about an ESFJ mathematician?

I know an ESFJ high school teacher, which may sound stereotypical but she had to take analysis among other amazingly theoretical stuff for her undergrad math major. By the way, another ESFJ friend I know got higher SAT scores than me.

Badlands

MBTI Type
INTP
1) That guy has dumb reasons, I hope that's not really why he switched. John Beebe is an ENTP and has done therapy for over 30 years.
2) An ISFP lawyer is actually fairly likely. My INFP roomate is planning on being a lawyer, and this is an inspiring path for domfis, because law apeals to both of thier spine (hero and animus) functions. It satisfies thier dominant and reduces thier sense of inferiority around extraverted thinking.

Fe is the least used judging function in law, and Si is probably the least used percieving. Considering extraverts have an advantage in law, the ISFJ is the least lawyerish type. Even they would have an advantage with their self sacrificing nature though.

pure_mercury

Order Now!
MBTI Type
ESFJ
I know an ESFJ high school teacher, which may sound stereotypical but she had to take analysis among other amazingly theoretical stuff for her undergrad math major. By the way, another ESFJ friend I know got higher SAT scores than me.

Hey, I'm an ESFJ and I got a 1480! I was a Film and Media Arts major in college, as well (Business minor).

Mondo

Welcome to Sunnyside
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
An ISFP lawyer is actually fairly likely. My INFP roomate is planning on being a lawyer, and this is an inspiring path for domfis, because law apeals to both of thier spine (hero and animus) functions. It satisfies thier dominant and reduces thier sense of inferiority around extraverted thinking.

INFP, and I want to be a lawyer.
I can get really passionate about things.
Also even though I am an NF, I can fake passion for things I don't believe in.
Finally, I can take myself out of a case.. I am simply someone that is defending or prosecuting.
I'm sure a lot of NF's are capable of this.