• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

MBTI Pet Preferences

Ingenue

Do you think that your MBTI has any effect on the kinds of pets you prefer?

For example, all the cat owners I know seem to be strong J-types.

Also, all the dog owners I know seem to be strong Ts. If we could type animals, I would venture to say that all dogs are Fs. Related perhaps?

For the record, I am a dog owner.

Mr. Sherlock Holmes

Consulting Detective
MBTI Type
JiNe
Enneagram
5W4
What type are you?

I think TJs are less likely to have pets. That's all I can be bothered with right now.

Killjoy

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
I'm particulraly fond of (okay, I love) my dogs.

I haven't owned a cat in many years, but when I did, I liked it.

I doubt there is a correlation between type and the pets you have. Some people like animals, other's don't - Kind of like children.

That's all I have to add. :hi:

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
i prefer cats over dogs.

people(whos type and cat/dog preference) i know:

intj: dogs (but has a cat)
infp: cats
enfp #1: cats
enfp #2: dogs
intp(?): cats

Idioteque

I read some study somewhere wich said that "dog people" are more social and friendy while "cat people" tend to be philosophical and more independent individuals. At least suggesting that extraverts are dog people while introverts are cat people.

Amethyst

¡MI TORTA!
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I prefer dogs, but I like cats, too. Like Idioteque, I sort of get that introverts may prefer cats over dogs, and vice versa...maybe.

Although I would really like a parrot...or some sort of sociable bird.
I found one at PetsMart yesterday...it absolutely loved me, but it was 500 bucks...sigh. :wubbie:
I would also like a chameleon...like, I almost bought one yesterday lol.

Ingenue

I read some study somewhere wich said that "dog people" are more social and friendy while "cat people" tend to be philosophical and more independent individuals. At least suggesting that extraverts are dog people while introverts are cat people.

Interesting, I always personally thought quite the opposite, that "dog people" are socially aloof and that's why they look to dogs for what they lack in company. I can see "cat people" as more independent, though.

Patches

Klingon Warrior Princess
I like all animals in general, from standard domestic pets to more exotic things. I like everything from dogs and cats, to small rodents like chinchillas and hedgehogs, to reptiles like snakes and lizards. I'd like a more exotic cat some day, a Caracel or a Serval probably. I also would love to have exotic birds - but they are prohibitively expensive at the moment. When/if I get to a place where I can financially handle it - I would like to apply for various licences to own larger exotic pets.

My brother is an ISTP and cannot STAND animals. In his eyes, pets are useless money sinks.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
I had the impression so far that pets are at all more a thing for I-types in general. I never wanted a pet but I came in touch with them quite early in life, since my ISFJ mom liked them. Our family had a budgie when I was young and I liked him. You could stand with him on the balcony and he would be sitting on your shoulder not flieing away. Quite amazing nice little pet. After the budgie we had guinea pigs. They were cute and fluffy but far too shy to be ever taken out of the cage. We let them stroll thru the garden mowing the turf that was quite funny, but guine pigs werent really my thing.

Now with my girlfriend we have a cat. My girlfriend grew up in a more rural area and she had two cats, two turtles, a lot of rabbits, guinea pigs, hamsters, so a lot of animals already. She's INFP and always talked to me about how gladly she would like to have a cat again. So I went out that one day and bought a male cat, british short hair, color creme. A very beautiful cat with a good character, very stress-resistent so really good for kids. I like that cat too since it bonds me and my gf but I can safely say if I should ever part with my gf for some reason I hope never happens, I wont buy an animal on my own again.

An automated spider-beer-automaton that can open the fridge and bring you a new beer, that would be a goal :D

Red Herring

Superwoman
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

That´s what I thought as well. But it´s really hard to generalize. I grew up with a dog. My Dad (divorced parents) used to say that cat people are uncapable of forming relationships and dogs were the thing. Years later he decided that cat people value character and independence and dog people were sickos with a need to dominate. Again several years later, he now lives with both cats and dogs and loves them all. He´s INFJ, for your statistics. My mother (ENTP) is a definite dog person. So is my brother (ENTJ), not sure about my ISFP sister, but my guess is dogs.

I´m the only cat person in the rest of the family and currently share my apartment with Holmes and Watson, two beautiful - and rather social- cats.

maydelle

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
I'm not an extreme animal lover but I have a cat and a rabbit. Throughout my childhood and now in my teens I have a cat. Unfortunately my first one died. Got a rabbit after that but missed having a cat around, so I got that too.

Tallulah

Emerging
MBTI Type
INTP
Definite dog person but I like cats, too. I'm aloof enough myself with people. I like having something that's cute and excited and cuddly and will snuggle up by me on the sofa, and is happy to see me when I get home. Cats are too aloof for me. My dog can be aloof at times, but she will always tolerate my scooping her up and smooching her. I'm just a sucker for dogs.

Mr. Sherlock Holmes

Consulting Detective
MBTI Type
JiNe
Enneagram
5W4
I have a dog and a cat, but my cat is antisocial so I like my dog more. Sometimes when I am sad I go and sit and talk to my dog and she makes me happier.

mochajava

MBTI Type
INFJ
I honestly like anything cute, furry, and cuddly that you can interact with whether it is a dog, cat, or husband. I'm thinking of getting a cat (my life doesn't quite have the resources needed for a dog).

There were some studies that animals significantly help mental health. In fact, several dorms and halls at MIT were designated cat-friendly halls for exactly this reason.

rav3n

TJ with a cat, my third one. Would love to have a dog but my cat would have a heart attack.

Have had two other cats, two guinea pigs, one hamster, turtles and snakes.

I'm a wild animal documentary freak. :)

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'm not sure which I prefer, I've always owned cats but always wanted a dog - just not in a good environment for one yet. Someday I'd like to have both, I think. I like most furry things, though I don't really like the cage-living things, they're a bit personality-free for me.

My isfp is a definite cat person, though I might be able to convince him grudgingly to let us have a dog someday.

I think it might have more to do with upbringing. I was always around cats and the nieghbour's dogs, and my bf always had cats.

Saslou

MBTI Type
ESFJ
Cats .. I wouldn't get a dog as i'd have to walk it.

Although if someone could genetically modify a puppy labrador that behaved like an adult then i'd have one of them. No drooling though .. My cat does enough of that.