• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

NTs and listening to metal

Dashy CVII

MBTI Type
INTJ
I think I can answer part of this question. Our tastes in popularized styles of music, such as rock, hip-hop and pop, often stems in some ways from these arts seeming initially "cool" to a younger individual, that is, to get into something initially one subconsciously considers its social implications without realizing it: my friends enjoy it, people enjoy it, if I try enjoying it, I will be accepted. Then of course, one develops a real taste for similar styles of music, without realizing they initially got into the style because of friends or a perceived group identiy--they do not have to keep appreciating any social implications of music, they can love songs for what they are, but this "interpretation" of what is good and acceptable, what has lyrical familiarity, stems in part from our childhood expectations. That is why we don't have people going around singing African chants or Irish dance music in nearby cars, despite their human roots. This is not to say everything within a genre is popular or known, I enjoy a little of music from every genre, if it only fulfills something truly profound within me. But compare this to gradually getting interested in a larger diversity of genres like jazz or orchestral, where there's mass prolificacy and instrumental diversity but you're not going see many concerts, talk to many interested in the music, like friends and family, and you're not going to be able to connect to any lyrics or stable motifs. If you are very musical then nothing will eventually stop you from indulging into the grand imaginative diversity of non-lyrical genres such as jazz or orchestral, for their artistic complexity, and intellectual and emotional exploration, and when your values are not very attached to other human beings, when you don't care how you seem, and you will less often ask the question "what will friends think of me? or this music?", then this is within the realm of Fi values. It's not to say this is always the case, tons of people enjoy hip-hop and rock simply because it's more tasteful to them, more medially/statistically available to them, and they developed an organic and true relationship with it, but there seems to be a slight correlation between popular styles of music and Fe valuing. Personally speaking, I usually have no problem ignoring any art that tries to come off cool, epic or dark, as is the case with popular video games as well, unless there's something that truly peaks my emotional/intellectual interest, which is not usual. I'm somewhat eccentric with art and gaming, and quite particular.

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
How’d I miss this thread?

INFJ. Love various subgenres of metal (heavy metal, death metal, black metal, power metal, folk metal, Viking metal, shrimp soup, shrimp scampi, shrimp sandwich. . .).

And many other genres of music as a whole.

I don’t see musical preferences as type-related in the least.

...I need to go watch Metalocalypse, now.

Norexan

Quetzalcoatl
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sp
From metal now I mostly listen Black, Death, Deathcore and sometimes Thrash and Heavy (my genres in high school) but generally I am open in other sub-genres as long they satisfied me. There is no more aggressive and artistic music then metal so this is why I prefer this genre. It is sound you use classical music and optimize to the point of madness. :D

From electronic music I like industrial , Darkwave and Agrotech especially when they combine this genres with metal. :)

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
An oldie but goodie in the world of folk metal (in my mind, at least).

Fun song, hilarious video.

Another old one, just an example of fun symphonic/power metal with clean vocals that I enjoy. Cover.
(Another epic video, haha)

One of their originals:

I love music - it’s my passion, my drug. Be it light n’ sweet (a la Buddy Holly), deep, technically complex, or utterly ridiculous.
Much how I like my coffee, I suppose. Any but decaf for my fix, plz.

deathwarmedup

MBTI Type
IXTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Don't know if I'm a NT but know that I detest metal.

Obfuscate

Permabanned
MBTI Type
iNtP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
i don't feel that this is necessarily type related, but i enjoy metal... i don't enjoy it so much that i ignore every other genre, but it has a place in the music that i cycle...

ugghh

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
3w2
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
if NTs listen metal more often than some other types, i think its because we dont get that strong emotional vibes from it. i mean nf listening to cradle of filth or slayer would cry if s/he wouldnt be pretty seriously twisted individual, but im able to filter all that eating your brain stuff and listen to the great melodies and skilled instrument playing, good usage of voice and take all that fucking your carcass in a stab wound with humor.

but there are some metal bands that suite better for more sensitive people, like nightwish, rage against the machine etc.

I have to disagree. My best friend is an INFJ, and he loves CoF. I think he appreciates the artist-ship of the whole concept, rather than taking the morbitity seriously. It's all about the pov of the listener, I think.

OnT: I'm NT and I enjoy metal, but I know metalheads of all types.