• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

NTs and listening to metal

ChocolateMoose123

Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'm not an NT but I like metal. Also, whoever posted above about "metal" being too broad that's true. I like Killswitch Engage, Pantera, Slipknot. Whatever. I'm not huge into the genre but I know what I like. As long as it has melody I can like it.

I cannot get into house or music which, for me, sounds inorganic.

rav3n

My preference is by song or piece, instead of genre, so musical tastes are eclectic. Industrial metal and thrash are preferred over death metal. Haven't met a death metal song I enjoyed but I'm not closed to the subtype.

NT friends and exes, one is a hardcore metal fan, a couple are like myself, the majority dislike metal as it exists today, preferring thrash or not at all.

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=odiZiMOPHqA"]...[/YOUTUBE]

:rock:

copperfish17

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Yuck. Metal is the only genre of music I truly cannot enjoy.

Classical/Hip Hop/Rap FTW.

October Rust

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
I know an INTP who's into thrash metal and death metal, and an ESTP who's into power metal.

I'm more into the industrial stuff myself, lately. Used to listen to a lot of black metal when I was going through a rough patch... :/

KDude

Who doesn't like metal? :cool:

I think some of my favorite metal bands have some NTs in them though.

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rSmAacEpt-Y&feature=related]/[/youtube]

xisnotx

Permabanned
If you're taking statistics or whatever you can mark me down as an nt who doesn't listen to metal. This is probably influenced by culture.

10blackroses

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'm an INxP with a liking to gothic/symphonic metal, which I think suggests INFx rather than NT. Also, people tend to classify metal as only one genre, while in reality it's an 'umbrella definition' with quite diverse contents. Nightwish is my favourite band, and most of their lyrics are poetic rather than violent - poetry is typical of NFs. But I suppose my musical preferences can be second-guessed; I also listen to soft music like Owl City a lot, and to me, Owl City seems to be an artist whose music (lyrics in particular) is very reminiscent of the emotionally healthy NF.

Tiger Owl

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Metal connoisseur checking in to resurrect the rotting corpse of this necro-thread in true metal fashion.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Metal connoisseur checking in to resurrect the rotting corpse of this necro-thread in true metal fashion.
Oh, dear. This is not my taste in the least.

Tiger Owl

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Oh, dear. This is not my taste in the least.

I find metal to be similar to Sci-Fi, inasmuch as there is a tremendous volume of garbage in each but when you find a new treasure it can change the way you see a part of your reality. I am very picky about metal (and sci-fi) but what I like I like very much. It is also a means of catharsis.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I find metal to be similar to Sci-Fi, inasmuch as there is a tremendous volume of garbage in each but when you find a new treasure it can change the way you see a part of your reality. I am very picky about metal (and sci-fi) but what I like I like very much. It is also a means of catharsis.
Now I do like good Sci-Fi, and good Fantasy as well. But you are right that there is plenty of drivel within each category.

Sacrophagus

Mastermind Fieldmarshal
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
From, Classical music, Jazz, Blues, Rock, Pop rock, Prog Rock, Hard Rock, Pop, Heavy Metal, Thrash Metal, Death Metal, Technical Progressive Brutal Death Metal, Arabic music, Oriental music, Folk Rock, Celtic Music, Traditional Music... Etc, in every genre there's a gemstone I find.

Metal is underrated, Intimidating, has a bad reputation, and I like it this way. I'd put some Obituary along with Vivaldi and Sebastian Bach in the same Playlist.

Prince Of Persia X Metal? Awesome.

Bulletproof_Bastard

MBTI Type
ESTP
Well, I grew up with metal music for the most part and I'm an ESTP.

I have an ENTJ friend who listen to metal only to test his Hifi system.

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I listen to some metal, although I'm not settled on my personality type. I feel the entire brunt of the emotion, but have extremely high emotional pain threshold, so I can take it. At this point it often feels like the only music that tells certain truths about reality. Sensitivity and tolerance are two different scales that interact within an individual. I've known people with low sensitivity and low tolerance - they have a narrow emotional bandwidth that gets flooded easily, and others with high sensitivity and high tolerance like myself.

I listen deeply to Cattle Decapitation, Wolves in the Throne Room, Myrkur (she's not as hard), and types of music that are the hardest, most intense in what they have to say. I also crank up the volume until I can feel my bones resonate. I'm looking forward to a Wolves in the Throne Room concert at a small club, which is ideal setting for the introvert with an intensely dark sense of reality like myself.

Morpeko

Noble Wolf
MBTI Type
LEFV
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'm an ISTP and I love metal. I like most of its subgenres (even the questionable ones shit on by elitists), but I think that I'm most into melodic death metal and gothic metal. My favorite band is Scar Symmetry.

I actually associate metal more with Ni/Se (SP/NJ) rather than NT (although I do know an NTP who loves metal). A lot of high Se users seem to be into this genre.