• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Types written under avatars

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I see my posted type code is a shorthand, a way of saying that, for the most part, I have the preferences, tendencies, and outlook of this type. Absent type codes, I might include some of these details as caveats in various messages, to help the reader better understand the perspective I am trying to describe. Eventually people will get a sense of my personality just from how I write, but new or irregular members won't have that yet.

On the flip side, I am not very good at relating others' type codes to who they are and how they express themselves, especially online. I use them mainly to cross-check when the discussion becomes type focused. In other words, if someone is posting about how Ti-doms operate, I might check to see if they are one.

psyche

I haven't read all responses so my apologies if this is redundant.

I wish people would list their types because so often they reply to a thread that asks about how different types experience something, and they say, for instance, "I always do X...." but I have no idea what type they are so their response isn't helpful.

MBTI Type
ESFJ
I think it contributes to outgrouping and posturing, prejudice and judgmentalism.
Yes. When the types weren't visible, I found myself giving "negative" types to people I didn't agree with. I also realized that I couldn't stereotype them or attribute a negative quality about them to a "negative" type I knew I didn't usually get along with.

Random Ness

Why do we have it? Because this is a personality theory site? Does anyone really need more reasons beyond that?

Random Ness

I wish people would list their types because so often they reply to a thread that asks about how different types experience something, and they say, for instance, "I always do X...." but I have no idea what type they are so their response isn't helpful.

That really annoys me too! It actually annoys me anytime. It's a personality site, yes I do want to know your personality site, I wouldn't be on here if I didn't.

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I like seeing people's types. I think it can break down stereotypes when you see posters of a certain type expressing outside of what's expected for their type. Concerning posters who do not list a type, I do find that it's not very hard to make a decent guess at it over time and then you have their type in your head anyway when you read their posts.

The only time I don't like the types being listed is when it makes people disregard someone's opinion (which I see happen to Fs & Ss), or assume their viewpoint or the tone of their post based on their type.

Spamtar

Ghost Monkey Soul
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
The only time I don't like the types being listed is when it makes people disregard someone's opinion (which I see happen to Fs & Ss), or assume their viewpoint or the tone of their post based on their type.

Ooh there you go again, you silly Fs. ;)

Mr. Sherlock Holmes

Consulting Detective
MBTI Type
JiNe
Enneagram
5W4
I like it because it adds context to posts that do not make sense if you do not know the type, though I realise it can occasionally lead to stereotyping or disregarding of an opinion based solely on type.

nolla

Senor Membrane
MBTI Type
INFP
Yes. When the types weren't visible, I found myself giving "negative" types to people I didn't agree with. I also realized that I couldn't stereotype them or attribute a negative quality about them to a "negative" type I knew I didn't usually get along with.

I like seeing people's types. I think it can break down stereotypes when you see posters of a certain type expressing outside of what's expected for their type.

So, it can go either way, depending on the person. That means that revealing the type is not the problem, but people react to it according to their personalities. Which is fine, that would happen anyways no matter what the information was.

LunarMoon

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
I haven't read all responses so my apologies if this is redundant.

Thank God that someone said it.

1) How much do you think it's conducive to effective communication?
Take it or leave it. One of the primary reasons that I come to this forum is to study people’s posts and to put together a pattern in regard to type behavior. So for this forum, very, since it’s largely what differentiates it from every other forum.

Other than that, type does influence how I curb my communication. For example, I generally try to be a bit less blunt during a debate with an NF than I will with an NT, who I assume would enjoy the diatribe.

2) How much do you think it contributes to "typism" and further miscommunication?
For most people it definitely does contribute to typism, though it has become somewhat better as of late. As one ESTJ put it, however, intuitive types may be gradually becoming seen more in a multidimensional light, but sensors are still often regarded as “2-D caricatures”.

3) How do you instinctively respond to it?
I generally post a one page rant, criticizing the opinion of everyone who contributed to the typism in the thread.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I like to annoy people by occasionally saying something smart when I have a supposedly "stupid" type under my avatar :laugh:

Random Ness

I like seeing people's types. I think it can break down stereotypes when you see posters of a certain type expressing outside of what's expected for their type. Concerning posters who do not list a type, I do find that it's not very hard to make a decent guess at it over time and then you have their type in your head anyway when you read their posts.

Exactly. Personality theories are all about judgements, assumptions, and "typism". Showing your type helps me BREAK stereotypes I have, not contribute to them.

Arclight

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5

I think it can break down stereotypes when you see posters of a certain type expressing outside of what's expected for their type.

I have also seen this backfire. Where people will say stuff like.. "well that isn't very Fi of you, no way you're an INFP" etc etc..

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I have also seen this backfire. Where people will say stuff like.. "well that isn't very Fi of you, no way you're an INFP" etc etc..

Hm....comments like that don't affect me. I haven't gotten too many of them though, except for "T-ish" when I first arrived here, which just made me laugh & say I am a "mean" INFP :p.
I suppose if you're basing your type on other people's impressions of you or are easily swayed, then it might be annoying. It seems it's not the real problem though....
Besides, the "typeless" get accused being or not being a certain type based on how people perceive them anyway.

Aleksei

Yeah, I can fly.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
That's because what is Fi and what isn't (or any other function for that matter) isn't up for subjective analysis. There is a definition of what a type consists of, and you either fit it or you don't. So, so long as the argument meets MBTI canon, it's valid.

There is room for refinement, outside of the confines of how types are defined, but the definition needs to be kept to. And I do agree most stereotypes are retarded -- 90% of human behavior isn't MBTI type related (which itself actually makes me seriously question the usefulness of MBTI to begin with -- Socionics is better in that regard. I like my boxes. :tongue:).

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
whatever said:
I like to annoy people by occasionally saying something smart when I have a supposedly "stupid" type under my avatar :laugh:

hah. fuck anyone who thinks that. they're the stupid ones if they carry that kind of unfounded crap prejudice.

i especially like people who go around telling me i talk too much because i'm an extravert. it's so obvious they have no idea what they're talking about.

Southern Kross

Away with the fairies
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Yes it can and does lead to prejudice but how is this any different to face to face interaction? People are always making assumptions about others and mentally ascribing certain characteristics to them whether they are based in truth or not. Anything can be twisted into a prejudice; knowing one another's type is not necessary for this.

I don't see that displaying a small insight to everyone's personalities as something that inevitably leads to prejudice. MBTI as a whole provides us with information that we can either use as a weapon to judge and hurt others with, or it can be used to ease communication between differing types. If people choose to use this information for negative stereotyping, it is through no fault of the MBTI. Same goes for the type display.

Like others have said, I use it as a tip on how I should frame my words. I communicate differently to another INFP than I would to a ENTP, for example. I acknowledge there are differences between us in how we think, so I want to use language that will speak to them; that will assist in getting my point across more clearly and effectively. I do the same when I read others' posts: I use their type to assist in interpreting what they have written (lets face it, written text lacks the tone you get from speech, which inhibits accurate interpretation). I feel that this can reduce conflict and misunderstandings if it is done correctly.

Same goes for smilies. For example, these don't tend to work as well on NTs: :wubbie: :hug: :heart: :smooch:

;)

Synapse

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Sometimes I feel intimidate, if I go to an NT specific topic I sometimes feel like I have to express myself through logical intelligence rather than emotional intelligence. With ST I feel like I want to learn to speak in a stronger grounded intelligence. Though overall knowing types helps me adapt my language to be thoughtful and try to talk more constructively than abstractly sometimes. hahah good luck with that I say, I say it now but when it comes down to it, I just go along my own tune and respond how I want to when I'm upto responding and don't feel out of my depth to respond.

digesthisickness

✿ڿڰۣஇღ♥ wut ♥ღஇڿڰۣ✿
MBTI Type
ENTP
Sometimes I feel intimidate, if I go to an NT specific topic I sometimes feel like I have to express myself through logical intelligence rather than emotional intelligence.

nothing wrong with having good instincts.