• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Types written under avatars

Noon

I'm curious to see how much it progresses (or limits) communication between types. If I could ask three Qs:

1) How much do you think it's conducive to effective communication?
2) How much do you think it contributes to "typism" and further miscommunication?
3) How do you instinctively respond to it?

disregard

mrs
MBTI Type
INFP
I think it contributes to outgrouping and posturing, prejudice and judgmentalism.

Trentham

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
I'll admit that I always look at it, and sometimes take it into account, but only insomuch as in the way I craft my message. For instance, I won't necessarily communicate in exactly the same manner to an NF that I would to an SP. I don't use it to judge the opinions of other posters though. Part of the reason I enjoy posting here is the fact that the different types lend varied experiences and points of view to any given topic. I find these variations to be fascinating.

rav3n

Type display is informational. Application of information is user defined. Some will use it to help understand the perspective of other members and some will use it as a weapon whether aggressively or passive-aggressively.

Accept

MBTI Type
TRUE
If the topic happens to be an MBTI type discussion I think it helps in understanding some of the stated viewpoints, but not all. In other threads I don't have any reason to check the type of each poster, so it has no effect. I know there's information available to the left of each post, but aside from the avatar, which is sometimes difficult to ignore, I'm too busy scanning the post to notice the left hand details.

Such Irony

Honor Thy Inferior
MBTI Type
INtp
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
1) How much do you think it's conducive to effective communication?
It can be helpful to know someone's type to know what communication styles might work the best for them.

2) How much do you think it contributes to "typism" and further miscommunication?

On the other hand, each type has its own negative stereotypes associated with it which can lead to potential miscommunication. There is a wide variation within people of the same type and how do you know for sure the person's self-typing is even correct.

3) How do you instinctively respond to it?

I'm curious to know other people's types so I like it when its posted.

Spamtar

Ghost Monkey Soul
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
It helps one understand people of different types better. By participating and showing ones type they contribute to this experiment. By not disclosing type or misrepresenting type it does not assist in the process of understanding MBTI types.

I don't come here to listen to amatures opinions as to MBTI (why when I could easily look up an expert). What I do appreciate is seeing the different MBTI types disclosing their type and acting naturally.

Quinlan

Intriguing....
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9w1
It's very important business.

KDude

I'm almost at the point where I think the whole thing's a farce. Barring complete giberrish, there isn't much Ni/Fi/Ti/Se/Ne/Si/Fe/Te can say that I won't understand. And I appreciate people giving me that credit in return.

If we were to get into specifics... like specialized or professional knowledge where some types might be better at, then yeah, there will be communication barriers. Other than that, people should communicate with each other as individuals, giving each other the benefit of the doubt, and not projecting that the other person is totally alien or out in left field or some shit, and unable to understand.

R

ReflecTcelfeR

I think you always have to keep in mind that typology, in general, doesn't necessarily describe the 'who' of someone, but the 'how'.

R

ReflecTcelfeR

I'd say type is just another step, or different step towards a humans need for self-actualization. It isn't necessary, but very comforting.

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
eh. i'm sure we are biased because of it. but then, if it weren't type letters, it'd be username, or avatar, or how we divide our paragraphs, or something else. it's probably all of those things.

plus, once someone knows your type, they can make the same assumptions. and your type is pretty darn likely to come to light in a typology forum, anyway.

nolla

Senor Membrane
MBTI Type
INFP
It does effect the way I see the message. Without the info I'd be misinterpreting NT jokes all the time.

Arclight

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
It's simple, When I was testing as an INFP and had that posted , people treated me differently to how they do now that I know I am an ENFJ ..
If I put ISFP there tomorrow, people would change yet again.

You

MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
7w8
I've always digged people like Jaguar or Slant who didn't have anything under their name - so people treated them how they post. The coolest thing about it is that, especially at this most members that have posted in this thread who are immersed in the community, you can treat people how you see is fit. So, it's more genuine...It seems too systematic when people are reacting to your type and not your person.

nolla

Senor Membrane
MBTI Type
INFP
It's simple, When I was testing as an INFP and had that posted , people treated me differently to how they do now that I know I am an ENFJ ..
If I put ISFP there tomorrow, people would change yet again.

I actually see you more xNTJish... I don't know why. Maybe it's the globe avatar?

Arclight

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
I actually see you more xNTJish... I don't know why. Maybe it's the globe avatar?

The avatar is symbolic with emerging from a dark place. I go into T as a shadow function .. Sometimes my subjective emotional reasoning gets on my nerves and I defy it. But if you look closely , I don't think I am really fooling anybody.

I have always been intellectual and well spoken. This is actually quite contrived and a cover for an extremely sensitive, reactive and easily confused person.

I am not a T .. I assure you :)

nolla

Senor Membrane
MBTI Type
INFP
I am not a T .. I assure you :)

:) Ha! Ok, let's say you're not, but I still get the vibe. Which kinda relates to the topic: With most of the people here (the people I don't remember) I definitely take advantage of the type description, but with the rest (all the power users, and then some) it's more about the vibe. Like in your case.

(Maybe there are some power users I put in the "type description" category because they just seem so stereotypical representatives of their type)

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
It helps one understand people of different types better. By participating and showing ones type they contribute to this experiment. By not disclosing type or misrepresenting type it does not assist in the process of understanding MBTI types.

I don't come here to listen to amatures opinions as to MBTI (why when I could easily look up an expert). What I do appreciate is seeing the different MBTI types disclosing their type and acting naturally.

yeah me too...i've learned more by watching how different types communicate than i have reading about them.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
It's a guideline, as much as is knowing someone else's religious/cultural background or any other tidbit of information.

It's supposed to enhance communication -- enabling connection, avoiding pitfalls.

If someone purposefully misrepresents their type to cause issues, that's bad faith.
If someone uses someone else's type as a way to dominate or control them, that's bad faith.

And...
...in the end, you're still dealing with a person, not a type.
All communication should be ultimately focused on the person, not the type.