• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Free Thinkers: Heart v. Head

JustDave

MBTI Type
xNTP
Free thinking, as a concept, is too woolly to be confined in any single definition. Every type has its own breed of free-thinkers, though their methods or intent differ considerably. If I weren't drunk I would elaborate, but I'll try to come back later.

Although it would seem like I am trying to score points with you I am not. Nevertheless you are exhibiting what I consider free thinking.

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
I believe it is the Idealists not the Rationals, which are the freest thinkers. My reason for this belief is although Rationals are very critical and easily see through hype and deception they always view everything through the "square prism of logic". And logic can prevent one from seeing illogical although probable things.

If anyone actually wants to discuss this I will gladly provide more background on my belief. Until then I don't want to needlessly spin my wheels.

I don't agree. I believe Rationals (NT's) are aware of illogical possibilities within a given situation, but simply prefer not to entertain them. Just as Idealists (NF's) are aware of emotionally unsavory possibilities in a given situation and prefer not to entertain them.

In other words, they each have limitations in different areas. My guess is that it's people who are more aware of possibilities before making a judgment on them who are the freest thinkers. Those would probably be Ne-dominant ENxP's. And trust me, it shows in their behavior. :smile:

I would give NT's the advantage in determining truth, however. Logic is more well-suited to discovering truth in the long run, although it's process may prevent a person from discovering or creating an idea that doesn't seem to connect with what is already understood until the steps to it are built up from the foundation. NF's might be better at finding isolated pockets of knowledge at times that NT's wouldn't consider looking for because it didn't fit at all with what they already knew to be true.

Priam

MBTI Type
INTP
Of course.. it is obvious that this is a black and white approach to NT/NF cognitive capabilities. That is what makes it all the more appealing to debate. Most of us are quite aware that it is absurd to truly consider one more free-thinking than the other, but in theory it makes for an interesting volley.

But what's the point of debating a premise unless it can be accepted as a valid either/or? Yes, most everything in life is painted in shades of gray, but some less so than others and there are some where we are required to make a decision regardless. This is none of those. Why should I debate something that, on the face of it, is entirely too either/or unless...

OMG. I've suddenly rejoined the debating team...

And that is why you, dear judge, must vote Aff! Because Neg leads to thermonuclear war!11!11

*props taped glasses further up nose and reaches for inhaler*

JustDave

MBTI Type
xNTP
I don't agree. I believe Rationals (NT's) are aware of illogical possibilities within a given situation, but simply prefer not to entertain them. Just as Idealists (NF's) are aware of emotionally unsavory possibilities in a given situation and prefer not to entertain them.

In other words, they each have limitations in different areas. My guess is that it's people who are more aware of possibilities before making a judgment on them who are the freest thinkers. Those would probably be Ne-dominant ENxP's. And trust me, it shows in their behavior. :smile:

I would give NT's the advantage in determining truth, however. Logic is more well-suited to discovering truth in the long run, although it's process may prevent a person from discovering or creating an idea that doesn't seem to connect with what is already understood until the steps to it are built up from the foundation. NF's might be better at finding isolated pockets of knowledge at times that NT's wouldn't consider looking for because it didn't fit at all with what they already knew to be true.

Since there is some confusion about what I consider a free thinker I will put this as plainly (and I don't mean that in a derogatory way) as I can.

A coworker, and friend of mine, is a Rational and probably an INTJ. He has a Masters Degree in Electrical Engineering and is a licensed P.E. Additonally his hobbies are very NT: chess, astronomy, robotics, etc.

We support a very complex computer network. Constantly when troubleshooting problems I come up with solutions that he finds ludicrous yet more often than not I am correct. Maybe it's intuition on my part that allows me to devise these semmingly odd solutions.

To me it just seems odd that someone such as myself (now certain I'm not a Rational) could consistently devise creative soltions while my friend is left baffled.

JustDave

MBTI Type
xNTP
But what's the point of debating a premise unless it can be accepted as a valid either/or? Yes, most everything in life is painted in shades of gray, but some less so than others and there are some where we are required to make a decision regardless. This is none of those. Why should I debate something that, on the face of it, is entirely too either/or unless...

OMG. I've suddenly rejoined the debating team...

And that is why you, dear judge, must vote Aff! Because Neg leads to thermonuclear war!11!11

*props taped glasses further up nose and reaches for inhaler*

So don't. Ignore this thread. Discounting this thread there's about another 2000 or so on this forum to post to.

That being said please stay. Your insights are quite good and not nearly as dogmatic as some other rational seen frequenting this thread :devil:

MerkW

Perfectly well stated. Sometimes I begin to wonder as to whether you are an INTP.

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Since there is some confusion about what I consider a free thinker I will put this as plainly (and I don't mean that in a derogatory way) as I can.

A coworker, and friend of mine, is a Rational and probably an INTJ. He has a Masters Degree in Electrical Engineering and is a licensed P.E. Additonally his hobbies are very NT: chess, astronomy, robotics, etc.

We support a very complex computer network. Constantly when troubleshooting problems I come up with solutions that he finds ludicrous yet more often than not I am correct. Maybe it's intuition on my part that allows me to devise these semmingly odd solutions.

To me it just seems odd that someone such as myself (now certain I'm not a Rational) could consistently devise creative soltions while my friend is left baffled.

Believe it or not, some Rationals aren't that creative, especially on the spot. His best creative ideas probably come to him when he's alone, and he has to find a way to express them that's logically consistent. EP's are better at impromptu solutions and quick fixes in general, IJ's are better with long term strategies that apply over a longer course. That's what you're probably seeing here. I think a typical ENTP that was skilled with computers would do just as well as you're doing, if not better.

JustDave

MBTI Type
xNTP
Apparently I am the only one who doesn't think illogical and impossible are the same. :tongue10:

JustDave

MBTI Type
xNTP
Believe it or not, some Rationals aren't that creative, especially on the spot. His best creative ideas probably come to him when he's alone, and he has to find a way to express them that's logically consistent. EP's are better at impromptu solutions and quick fixes in general, IJ's are better with long term strategies that apply over a longer course. That's what you're probably seeing here. I think a typical ENTP that was skilled with computers would do just as well as you're doing, if not better.

Normally I would agree. However, in my case I live and breath computers so probably not. Besides another one of my coworkers is a "real" (as in he took a test administered by a professional, lucky SOB) ENTP and he knows his stuff but only performs when it is to his benefit. On other hand, toss me into the datacenter naked and bleeding, threaten to kill my family if I fix the problem and I will probably do so anyway just to prove that I can.

MerkW

Normally I would agree. However, in my case I live and breath computers so probably not. Besides another one of my coworkers is a "real" (as in he took a test administered by a professional, lucky SOB) ENTP and he knows his stuff but only performs when it is to his benefit. On other hand, toss me into the datacenter naked and bleeding, threaten to kill my family if I fix the problem and I will probably do so anyway just to prove that I can.

Just to let you know, I do, in fact, plan on eating you for breakfast tomorrow morning. I hope the High Priest of Nevada approves.

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5

And that makes which of you more intelligent, might I ask? :smile:

It just means that you're so focused on the problem and the idea that finding the solution is the most important thing, that other factors don't cross your mind. You aren't considering alternatives to action, which implies less freedom of thought.

JustDave

MBTI Type
xNTP
Just to let you know, I do, in fact, plan on eating you for breakfast tomorrow morning. I hope the High Priest of Nevada approves.

Finally a sense of humor! Bravo! And yes I am being sincere.

Now would that be in the literal or metaphorical sense?

MerkW

Has the cat received the proper funeral ceremony?

09-678-3638-1927-6zquk68-121.p/-636

The figs are hidden in the cabinet.

I suggest you avoid all chipmunks from now until April 32, 2015.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

I am not sure of what you are yet... but most certainly not ESFP.

I'm not sure how effective INTJ is in dealing with troubleshooting issues. They tend to be better at envisioning their own system, then implementing it using Te. Because they like to dictate what reality is (or what it should), they aren't nearly as good at responding to what it ACTUALLY is.

So you sound much more P's. P's tend to troubleshoot better because they are Perceiving externally, not internally. They're actually looking at what is going on and flexing with it, working with it, jury-rigging it.

It doesn't surprise me that, if you are a P (and TP), you're better at troubleshooting than your friend, even if he is brilliant.

nightning

ish red no longer *sad*
MBTI Type
INfj
*throws in random words to just add to the confusion*

The freest thinker of them all would be XXXX wouldn't it? No "biases" afterall...

JustDave

MBTI Type
xNTP
*throws in random words to just add to the confusion*

The freest thinker of them all would be XXXX wouldn't it? No "biases" afterall...

Yes, no paridigms, dichotomys or types. Just thoughts.

JustDave

MBTI Type
xNTP
I am not sure of what you are yet... but most certainly not ESFP.

I'm not sure how effective INTJ is in dealing with troubleshooting issues. They tend to be better at envisioning their own system, then implementing it using Te. Because they like to dictate what reality is (or what it should), they aren't nearly as good at responding to what it ACTUALLY is.

So you sound much more P's. P's tend to troubleshoot better because they are Perceiving externally, not internally. They're actually looking at what is going on and flexing with it, working with it, jury-rigging it.

It doesn't surprise me that, if you are a P (and TP), you're better at troubleshooting than your friend, even if he is brilliant.

He certainly is brilliant or at least much smarter than I am. But his thinking is so ... rigid. To me that's the best word to describe it. If he has a clear vision of something he is awesome otherwise he falls apart very quickly. To be honest I feel bad for him.

Last edited:

MerkW

He certainly is brilliant or at least much smarter than I am. But his thinking is so ... rigid. To me that's the best word to describe it. If he has a clear vision of something he is awesome otherwise he falls apart very quickly. To be honest I feel bad for him.

Sounds INTJ. Could still be any other xxTJ, or even an INFJ for that matter.