• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Jungian Cognitive Functions] Ni - What the hell is it?

VagrantFarce

I asked for an example of a real person. Are you saying that all Muslims who pray to Mecca are Ni dominant?

No. I wasn't talking about Ni-dominant personalities in the post that started this back-and-forth, I was trying to clarify the nature of Ni in general - I'm speaking abstractly. I probably wouldn't use "totemic" to describe a person anyway, it comes off differently to what I'm trying to get at.

Forever

Permabanned
MBTI Type
NiFi
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
A fun way to look at Ni, based off general behaviour rather than the actual definition:

Ni is overindulging in food, sexual activities, drugs, and other forms of sensual pleasure or completely abstaining from all such things; it also means can manifest as an becoming over obsessive over one's surroundings or getting anxious over petty details, or becoming completely isolated from the physical realm and removing all subjective meaning from one's surroundings.

Woah woah incorrect man. That's inferior Se fighting off Dominant Ni. To say that is generally Ni is superfluous to its general definition.

Chrysanthe

Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Woah woah incorrect man. That's inferior Se fighting off Dominant Ni. To say that is generally Ni is superfluous to its general definition.

well I used "Ni" (in its ego form) because it essentially is also inferior Se, at least to me :p I am aware that it is generally an unhealthy state to be in, and I should have emphasized the fact that it was, indeed, not the strong, healthy state of Ni/Se.

Forever

Permabanned
MBTI Type
NiFi
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
well I used "Ni" (in its ego form) because it essentially is also inferior Se, at least to me :p I am aware that it is generally an unhealthy state to be in, and I should have emphasized the fact that it was, indeed, not the strong, healthy state of Ni/Se.

I see. Well not everyone sees Ni as assumed to have Se backed within it. :p I see them work with each other, not exactly the same though.

Eilonwy

Vulnerability
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
And significantly enough, here:
"That's why INTPs and INTJs are often in conflict."

Ti wants "to hammer in the stakes of a tent that offers the best shelter for others" [i.e. in my own way of framing it "This is the TRUTH (T), and since I realize it (i), then I think others would want this truth as well" ("subjective" perspective projecting onto others)], but the Ni type is "usually cutting a hole in the side of a tent to peer into the dark and make out something else that's moving on a distant landscape."
Personally, I think you're leaving out an important data point when you're directly comparing INTPs and INTJs: INTPs are Ji-dom and INTJs are Pi-dom. I think if you fail to take that difference into consideration, you'll end up misinterpreting how the judging function is integrated into the whole function stack--how it's being used. I think a better comparison would be Ti-dom to Te-dom. That would eliminate the influences of Ji-dom vs Pi-dom and maybe highlight a purer difference between Ti and Te.

This is speculation on my part. I'm a Pi-dom. I've sat here at the computer reading this forum for years now--observing, taking in what people write. Yes, sometimes I throw out judgments, and sometimes I get very attached to those judgments, but as long as I keep observing to see whether my judgement holds water in the real world, and then keep comparing and refining my inner concepts, then I might come up with something that appears to be insightful.

Anyone can compare things, but from what you're saying, you do the comparing once you've already perceived the data, in order to extenalize it (in this case, doing something with it; which fits what I mentioned above). You don't have to compare in order to do the perceiving to begin with. That's what I was trying to say. (And again, the process of comparing the bowls sounds a bit too conscious and rational, to the point that I can even identify with them in my Ne/Si perspective, but then, maybe that's another one of those analogies that shouldn't be taken too literally. Either attitude of N is about the "concept of" things, but again, Ne will be more external focused [the things themselves], while Ni, as described, is "the concept of the concept" [ i.e. "meta"]).

Yes, of course, anyone can compare things. We all have perceiving and judging functions in our stacks. That is too general, too big-picture. Processes are processes. Pi is Pi, Ji is Ji, etc. So, to tease out the differences, to see what Ni is, I think you can look at Si to see the same general big-picture process, which should take away some of the mystery. Then, the difference will be in the details: what data does Ni focus on? And there's the difficulty. We all have a function stack to help us deal with the world, so I can focus on the more concrete data with my inferior Se, which makes it difficult to say where the demarcation is between abstract and concrete, since we all can perceive both types of data and our perceptions are influenced by all sorts of things like culture and family, so we most likely have different levels of function development within one type.

To address your bolded, if I'm interpreting you correctly, I think that what you're saying goes back to what I wrote about Pi-dom vs Ji-dom. I think you're seeing that difference: that Ni perceives first, and you're comparing it to your own process of Ti evaluating first, rather than seeing a difference between my Ni and your Ne. Again, speculation. Personally, I think successfully isolating and comparing an internal and external function is going to prove to be difficult without some sort of base knowledge which is missing at this point.

Jaguar

As a side point, all of this are more good examples of why Ni/Se would be termed "Realizing" and Si/Ne would be "Inquiring" (or as I put it, involve more "comparison"), to use Berens/Montoya's new terms.
So I'll have to think more on this. Perhaps I can find the simpler alternative to "unconscious" I've been looking for from it.

Read the Graham Wallas model. Perhaps some of it can be braided into your understanding.

https://www.brainpickings.org/2013/08/28/the-art-of-thought-graham-wallas-stages/

Eric B

ⒺⓉⒷ
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Personally, I think you're leaving out an important data point when you're directly comparing INTPs and INTJs: INTPs are Ji-dom and INTJs are Pi-dom. I think if you fail to take that difference into consideration, you'll end up misinterpreting how the judging function is integrated into the whole function stack--how it's being used. I think a better comparison would be Ti-dom to Te-dom. That would eliminate the influences of Ji-dom vs Pi-dom and maybe highlight a purer difference between Ti and Te.

This is speculation on my part. I'm a Pi-dom. I've sat here at the computer reading this forum for years now--observing, taking in what people write. Yes, sometimes I throw out judgments, and sometimes I get very attached to those judgments, but as long as I keep observing to see whether my judgement holds water in the real world, and then keep comparing and refining my inner concepts, then I might come up with something that appears to be insightful.

To address your bolded, if I'm interpreting you correctly, I think that what you're saying goes back to what I wrote about Pi-dom vs Ji-dom. I think you're seeing that difference: that Ni perceives first, and you're comparing it to your own process of Ti evaluating first, rather than seeing a difference between my Ni and your Ne. Again, speculation. Personally, I think successfully isolating and comparing an internal and external function is going to prove to be difficult without some sort of base knowledge which is missing at this point.

The INTP vs INTJ example was given to me by someone (an INTJ, in fact), and I threw it in because it was an INTJ who was questioning what I was saying.

So it was a general description of how Ni works vs how Ti works, and yes, the understanding was that both in that case are the ego's main perspective. "hammer in the stakes" conveys a rational assessment (judging) of the situation, while the Ni exmple of "cutting a hole in the side" is to try to gather more information. In fact, what you're doing, is exactly what the person was describing to me regarding Ni: "looking for what's been left out".

But I don't see any real dispute; I was just covering one aspect of a Ti vs Ni difference.

Yes, of course, anyone can compare things. We all have perceiving and judging functions in our stacks. That is too general, too big-picture. Processes are processes. Pi is Pi, Ji is Ji, etc. So, to tease out the differences, to see what Ni is, I think you can look at Si to see the same general big-picture process, which should take away some of the mystery. Then, the difference will be in the details: what data does Ni focus on? And there's the difficulty. We all have a function stack to help us deal with the world, so I can focus on the more concrete data with my inferior Se, which makes it difficult to say where the demarcation is between abstract and concrete, since we all can perceive both types of data and our perceptions are influenced by all sorts of things like culture and family, so we most likely have different levels of function development within one type.
When I talk about "anyone can do", I'm not talking necessarily about the functions in "the stack". When we see immediate concret data (associated with "Se"), you do not have to necesarily access the "inferior" (And for me, it would be the "7th" function, which is the shadow of the tertiary). To remember something; I don't have to "use" the tertiary (and for you, it would be the shadow of the inferior). That's why I say the "stack" is about the "ego-states" that focus on the respective data for each type.

But outside the ego states, we can all either take data directly, or compare things. So when I speak of "comparing" or not, typologically (i.e. Inquiring vs Realizing); I'm referring to the ego states, and in saying "anyone can do it", was only clarifying that yes, it may "sound" too general, but has to be taken in the context of the differentiated type stack (via the ego states).

So Se obviously takes emergent concrete data as is.
Ni takes directly from impressions from the unconscious, like the sense that something's been "left out".
Si compares it to what has been taken in before.
Ne compares external objects (patterns, etc.) according to a "big picture".

That was all I was pointing out.

morganelise48

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
5w4
I'm an Ni dom, and I hardly understand it. People often refer to it as "images," but that's never how it works for me. It's like a feeling that you need to sit on until it emerges You know the saying "it's on the tip of my tongue"? I have that feeling about a million times a day. Depending on the situation, I either start talking about an idea that pops into my head, and then all of the sudden new idea's flow out of my mouth, and I shock myself with how insightful it is. Other times, I can't even think properly when trying to generate my intuition if people are around me, but once I'm isolated, I realize what it was that I was trying to think/say. Sometimes, an idea is in my head but I don't know how to say it with words.

uumlau

Happy Dancer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I'm an Ni dom, and I hardly understand it. People often refer to it as "images," but that's never how it works for me. It's like a feeling that you need to sit on until it emerges You know the saying "it's on the tip of my tongue"? I have that feeling about a million times a day. Depending on the situation, I either start talking about an idea that pops into my head, and then all of the sudden new idea's flow out of my mouth, and I shock myself with how insightful it is. Other times, I can't even think properly when trying to generate my intuition if people are around me, but once I'm isolated, I realize what it was that I was trying to think/say. Sometimes, an idea is in my head but I don't know how to say it with words.

Definitely yes to the bold. I often think "faster" if I don't "try to think" too hard. If something puzzles me, it usually isn't because the reasoning I'm applying is incorrect, but because I'm "missing a piece of information". Relaxing my mind helps me figure out what that pieces of information is.

And yes, sometimes it's like you didn't know that you knew something until you thought about it. And yes, very often, there is no good way to fit the idea into words. It's like trying to describe how an apple tastes.

As for images, plenty of types think in terms of images, so that doesn't really differentiate anything. I know that I think in terms of images to a degree, because I can get these huge 3-d diagrams in my head that describe a system. But it's a fuzzy diagram. I don't know what is at a particular point on the diagram until I "zoom in on it" and then see the details appear. This isn't what most people mean when they think in terms of images.

morganelise48

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
5w4
Do you happen to know any good articles on how Ni works on a more logical and functional standpoint? I often see Ni dom's try to explain it from their perspective, which can be very bias in description. I find that it's more informative hearing it from a non-Ni user, but I still feel like there are a lot of key details that they are missing. Easily understood, being an enne 6, I often doubt myself. Thus, it's hard for me to really understand such a subjective function, and to recognize it often times. I feel as though I dismiss my intuition so often for the sake of not making mistakes, and that surly isn't healthy for me.

uumlau

Happy Dancer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Do you happen to know any good articles on how Ni works on a more logical and functional standpoint? I often see Ni dom's try to explain it from their perspective, which can be very bias in description. I find that it's more informative hearing it from a non-Ni user, but I still feel like there are a lot of key details that they are missing. Easily understood, being an enne 6, I often doubt myself. Thus, it's hard for me to really understand such a subjective function, and to recognize it often times. I feel as though I dismiss my intuition so often for the sake of not making mistakes, and that surly isn't healthy for me.

Here's a start: when you remember something, what does it feel like? How does it feel different than, say, trying to solve a problem or make a decision?

morganelise48

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
5w4
The problem with me is that I feel like I am unable to identify intuition vs. thinking on a level separated by instantaneous insight. As you said, it often seems like my strategy and logic is correct, until I have a flash of insight, and it often assumes the role of a missing piece of the puzzle. Also, when I'm happiest and sound the most pulled together, is often when I'm able to use my Fe. If I'm comfortable in a situation when contemplating something, things often flow out of my mouth without having to sit on it. It just happens, and things I weren't even thinking flow out of my mouth, shocking me. Making sense of things in a way I knew was inside me, but couldn't pull. (Though I do have a problem with forgetting these things I conjured up, especially if I'm using my Fe. Wish I had someone to write shit down sometimes! lol). While along, of course this can happen too. Probably more when I'm alone because I think about things a lot and don't talk about them a whole lot. And because often, like anyone, I do need to tap into my Ti to make sense of other things. But when my Ni happens, to the extent that I'm aware of it, it's random. When I use it with Fe, especially, I feel a wholeness. But when in my head, I don't know how to differentiate Ni from Ti unless I randomly put things together or have insight. Idk if this is common for INFJ's, but I seem to use Fi alot, but as expected, badly. I'm great at understanding people, horrible at understanding myself. Especially when it comes to feeling and understanding my own psyche, which, has a lot to do with feelings.
I apologize for this book I've written lmao.

SearchingforPeace

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
The problem with me is that I feel like I am unable to identify intuition vs. thinking on a level separated by instantaneous insight. As you said, it often seems like my strategy and logic is correct, until I have a flash of insight, and it often assumes the role of a missing piece of the puzzle. Also, when I'm happiest and sound the most pulled together, is often when I'm able to use my Fe. If I'm comfortable in a situation when contemplating something, things often flow out of my mouth without having to sit on it. It just happens, and things I weren't even thinking flow out of my mouth, shocking me. Making sense of things in a way I knew was inside me, but couldn't pull. (Though I do have a problem with forgetting these things I conjured up, especially if I'm using my Fe. Wish I had someone to write shit down sometimes! lol). While along, of course this can happen too. Probably more when I'm alone because I think about things a lot and don't talk about them a whole lot. And because often, like anyone, I do need to tap into my Ti to make sense of other things. But when my Ni happens, to the extent that I'm aware of it, it's random. When I use it with Fe, especially, I feel a wholeness. But when in my head, I don't know how to differentiate Ni from Ti unless I randomly put things together or have insight. Idk if this is common for INFJ's, but I seem to use Fi alot, but as expected, badly. I'm great at understanding people, horrible at understanding myself. Especially when it comes to feeling and understanding my own psyche, which, has a lot to do with feelings.
I apologize for this book I've written lmao.

No need to apologize. However, from my dabbling in journalism, 3 sentences max per paragraph does make it easier for readers to understand.

Fe is understanding others. Fe users struggle to understand themselves. Fe is also best when expressed, so the desire for having someone write it down is typical.

Ni and Ti feel very different. Ni isn't thinking through a problem and coming up with a solution. Ni is suddenly seeing things clearly as it just pops into your mind.

I would recommend writing out your thoughts to understand them more. Writing them out means Fe will be doing the leading and it should be much clearer to you than staying in your brain. I find it much more productive.

morganelise48

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
5w4
I agree, I find writing a much better way to make sense of my feelings. It helps me realize things I can't put together in my head. Oh btw, my phones acting up, so I can't use the enter key until I see my brother to fix it, lol. I feel like, before typology, I suppressed my Ni and over worked my Ti. Though when my Ni does occur, it helps me a lot, I've always doubted my instincts. Ever sense I was young. Being a lifelong issue, though I'm trying to change it for the better, my Ni doesn't seem to work as often as it maybe should. Thus, I rely on my Ti more than I probably should.

her-space-holiday

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Your brain is a remarkable instrument, it is constantly flooded with all this information - far more than you or I could comprehend, and in order to function, it filters out what it deems unnecessary - for example, the only reason we don't see our noses 24/7 is because our brain has deemed that info unnecessary despite it being in our field of vision constantly.

The world is one big infinite mystery that we see a mere adaption or interpretation of and I think that a lot of people filter information differently.

I am painfully aware of things I feel like I shouldn't be...the layers and layers of sound and white noise woven into the background of everyday life - my brain sifts through it automatically and if it detects a change in pattern(human brains are particularly geared towards patterns in general), like say, the faintest human voice that I can only discern because it feels different to my ears than the wind, static, traffic in the distance..etc - so as a result, I may notice that there is a person nearby talking sooner than other people because my brain is listening to all this stuff and analyzing it constantly - sometimes I'm aware of it and it's almost painfully exhausting because I can't turn it off - other times I'm not sure why I know something.

Same thing with changes in light, shadow, etc. I'm sure there are other things we percieve that are even more minute that light and sound, but these are two examples I'm particularly aware of that seem to be a product of Ni for me.

The Gift of Fear is an interesting read that kind of relates to this.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
It seems that Ni dominants often struggle with over-stimulation from their surrounding environments.

VagrantFarce

Some thoughts, because I like thinking about this:

• At its base, it's pattern recognition. But because it isn't extroverted, it isn't tied to any particular time or place.
  • So what you're apprehending are just abstract patterns, without a particular home to attach themselves to. Images help to "fill in" the details, but only toward the end of clarifying the pattern itself.
  • To see something through Ni is to see it guided by invisible hands. It feels passive & fatalistic. This is where it differs from Ne, which is characteristically active, circumstantial and indeterministic.
  • Sometimes, when feeling particularly stubborn, you "just know". But convincing other people can be difficult, especially if they're equally stubborn. "Oh, you'll see. Just you wait."
  • It can make you deeply perceptive when right, and deeply deluded when wrong. The latter happens more often than anyone would likely want to admit.

uumlau

Happy Dancer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Some thoughts, because I like thinking about this:

• At its base, it's pattern recognition. But because it isn't extroverted, it isn't tied to any particular time or place.
  • So what you're apprehending are just abstract patterns, without a particular home to attach themselves to. Images help to "fill in" the details, but only toward the end of clarifying the pattern itself.
  • To see something through Ni is to see it guided by invisible hands. It feels passive & fatalistic. This is where it differs from Ne, which is characteristically active, circumstantial and indeterministic.
  • Sometimes, when feeling particularly stubborn, you "just know". But convincing other people can be difficult, especially if they're equally stubborn. "Oh, you'll see. Just you wait."
  • It can make you deeply perceptive when right, and deeply deluded when wrong. The latter happens more often than anyone would likely want to admit.

But once you realize it's just pattern recognition, it's a lot easier to be able to tell how likely it is that one is right or wrong.