jedi
    Enneagram

a personality foremost affixed upon the sense impression of objects

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    953 sp/so

I just ran across this:

Se is the cat playing the piano. Ni is what imagines an orchestra that makes sense out of the cat playing the piano. This demonstrates Ni's greatest strength and weakness. Ni is very good at synthesizing data, which is a strength, but is also good at synthesizing data that didn't have any intrinsic meaning in the first place. Ni types need to be careful whether the patterns they spot represent the data before them, or instead represent what the Ni type already had in his/her mind.

And perhaps it's because I'm a musical person, but I can attest that this is what Ni "feels like" to me, the barest outlines of a melody replay in my mind as a complete symphony.
    An argument is two people sharing their ignorance.

A discussion is two people sharing their understanding, even when they disagree.

Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by uumlau View Post

Se is the cat playing the piano. Ni is what imagines an orchestra that makes sense out of the cat playing the piano. This demonstrates Ni's greatest strength and weakness. Ni is very good at synthesizing data, which is a strength, but is also good at synthesizing data that didn't have any intrinsic meaning in the first place. Ni types need to be careful whether the patterns they spot represent the data before them, or instead represent what the Ni type already had in his/her mind.
    I think this works as an excellent metaphor for what it's like to experience Ni.

To expand and further use it to describe the difference between Si and Ni- because I imagine Si experiences something very similar- would it be fair to say that Si dom/aux types gathering afterwards to compare the 'sheet music' or instruments or whatever that surfaced for their own orchestra (i.e. to bounce their subjective understanding of external events off of others) will already be more calibrated to others in their vicinity (e.g. having a similar melody or tempo)? It seems to me like this is something Si dom/aux are able to take for granted more than Ni dom/aux are- that their internal 'orchestra' is playing something similar to others?

And I agree about Ni types needing to be careful about the patterns. It's important to be able to separate the connections that fire off from the external source of those connections, to know the starting point of those patterns.
    Reality is a collective hunch. -Lily Tomlin

INFJ 5w4 sx/sp Johari / Nohari -or- disagree with my type?

Sometimes I will get a certain hunch or feeling that something I have observed was brought about by some specific scenario or reason. The explanation will actually feel right to me, and from there I will automatically start looking for evidence that proves my sudden insight. It would take considerably more data to chip away enough of this impression, by contradicting it, for me to be willing or able to disregard this initial hunch.

Does the above sound in any way like Fi/Ne, as opposed to Ni/Fe?

Quote Originally Posted by Coriolis View Post
    I would almost reverse Arclight's graphics comparing Ne and Ni.
    I thought the same. I don't really understand Ni all that well, but those arrows should be reversed based on the common descriptions of Ni.

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeAppled View Post
    Frm what I understand of Ni, I don't feel I use it any major capacity, but FiNe sort of mimics it in a way.

This is where mbti makes my head go in loops. I think that different letter combos can do the same set of actual thinking steps (although maybe they might come from different parts of the brain maybe). One of my fantasies would be to sit in other people's minds for a while. Like one week at a time. Just to know how similar or different we are.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    953 sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by Feline View Post
    This is where mbti makes my head go in loops. I think that different letter combos can do the same set of actual thinking steps (although maybe they might come from different parts of the brain maybe). One of my fantasies would be to sit in other people's minds for a while. Like one week at a time. Just to know how similar or different we are.
    No, it's not the "same set of actual thinking steps". Such similarities are observed because people with different functions arrive at the same results.

Have you ever had an argument with someone, only to realize that you both really agree about everything, but you just disagree about WHY you are right? That's the different functions in action. Truth is very often an objective constant, thus different people thinking in different ways often arrive at the some objectively true conclusion. But for really complex topics, if you explore how each type is thinking before they arrive at a conclusion, you'll see how differently each one approaches the topic. If you make them talk to each other before coming to a conclusion, they'll all think that they other types are full of shit, even if in the end they all agree about the conclusions.
    An argument is two people sharing their ignorance.

A discussion is two people sharing their understanding, even when they disagree.

I want my account deleted
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5

Have you ever had an argument with someone, only to realize that you both really agree about everything, but you just disagree about WHY you are right? That's the different functions in action. Truth is very often an objective constant, thus different people thinking in different ways often arrive at the some objectively true conclusion. But for really complex topics, if you explore how each type is thinking before they arrive at a conclusion, you'll see how differently each one approaches the topic. If you make them talk to each other before coming to a conclusion, they'll all think that they other types are full of shit, even if in the end they all agree about the conclusions.
    ^^ .... and here you've just accurately described the vast majority of the arguments in my (INFJ-INFP) relationship.

No, it's not the "same set of actual thinking steps". Such similarities are observed because people with different functions arrive at the same results.

Maybe it's not the best wording. Maybe I should say the same set of mental "tasks".

This is what Ni feels like to me.

And this: