• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Jungian Cognitive Functions] Ni - What the hell is it?

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Looks like the same idea as SW's. Are they all on the wrong track?

:shrug: You can explain this using general psychology/ understanding of people, without even needing to bring in cognitive functions. 'Don't spend too much time focusing on what you don't particularly enjoy, that makes you depressed, or that causes you stress. Focus on what brings more positivity to your life, what you do effortlessly and spontaneously, things that don't stress you out, and what you are naturally inclined towards.' Cognitive functions just slap a label on things, with the goal of outlining every possible contingency that occurs within a person -- thus eventually having to bring in all 'demonic' functions to describe when someone is really down and out. Which appears to be of use to some people, so that's fine.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
:shrug: You can explain this using general psychology/ understanding of people, without even needing to bring in cognitive functions. 'Don't spend too much time focusing on what you don't particularly enjoy, that makes you depressed, or that causes you stress. Focus on what brings more positivity to your life, what you do effortlessly and spontaneously, things that don't stress you out, and what you are naturally inclined towards.' Cognitive functions just slap a label on things, with the goal of outlining every possible contingency that occurs within a person -- thus eventually having to bring in all 'demonic' functions. Which appears to be of use to some people, so that's fine.

Someone asked a question. I showed that the same answer exists all over the internet. Then I gave my own answer which includes Fe in the mix. The original question didn't ask if it was real or useful or couldn't be answered with general psych.

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Someone asked a question. I showed that the same answer exists all over the internet. Then I gave my own answer which includes Fe in the mix. The original question didn't ask if it was real or useful or couldn't be answered with general psych.

Sure, that's fine. That's your style, and that's cool. Other people will always look at things / reply a bit differently, though.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
How would it make a forum *about typology* look if someone asked a typology question here and was told that typology isn't necessary to answer it? Even if that's true, it's still a valid typology question because it's a question about JCF. You've just invalidated the reason this forum exists.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
It looks even lamer to question the validity of the question when our esteemed administrator has previously posted a video that answers the question.

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
How would it make a forum *about typology* look if someone asked a typology question here and was told that typology isn't necessary to answer it? Even if that's true, it's still a valid typology question because it's a question about JCF. You've just invalidated the reason this forum exists.

I disagree. I think it's still highly relevant to discuss the merits and usefulness of cognitive functions, for example. And there's plenty of discussion around definitions of cognitive functions. I also didn't really nitpick your examples of people 'falling into the grip' and such things, because I simply don't have the energy to do so / feel like I've soapboxed on a lot of that many other times on the forum, in many other threads over the years.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I disagree. I think it's still highly relevant to discuss the merits and usefulness of cognitive functions, for example. And there's plenty of discussion around definitions of cognitive functions. I also didn't really nitpick your examples of people 'falling into the grip' and such things, because I simply don't have the energy to do so / feel like I've soapboxed on a lot of that many other times on the forum, in many other threads over the years.

You could call it falling into the grip of depression based on the irrational thinking methods of depressed people who are sometimes failed idealists that have fallen into intellectualization and ennui as a way of life.

Permabanned
You could call it falling into the grip of depression based on the irrational thinking methods of depressed people who are sometimes failed idealists that have fallen into intellectualization and ennui as a way of life.

depends on the purpose; doing research vs self help, as the latter will be kind of a meta-failure.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
depends on the purpose; doing research vs self help, as the latter will be kind of a meta-failure.

What's the point of doing research?

Reborn Relic

Damn American Cowboy
MBTI Type
INTP
Personality Type Paradoxes - An I/ENFP example

These natural changes and growth in adults account for the apparent paradoxes we sometimes observe in people of all types. Development of the NeTe face of INFPs accounts for the "coolness" and "detachment" we sometimes observe in them.

INFP mid-life changes, such as an increasing desire to organize and take charge of one's life or to stop being used as a doormat by others, are consistent with this developing outer NT. Some INFPs have become quite proficient in masking their "true feelings" with their NT face. This same facility in their ENFP cousins has them able to mimic ENTJ stereotypical behavior. They can assume control, take charge of a situation, make the hard decisions, and move on with their job. They can have masterly control over lawyer-speak, slicing careful nuances in meaning and logic. Even though they prefer Feeling over Thinking, they can become and are competent attorneys.The NeTe face on ENFPs and INFPs also explains why these two types are among the top four types having home pages on the Internet (From data on Doug Ingram's Personality Index page. The other two top four types are INTJ and INTP). While NFPs are people-oriented folks, many are drawn to latest technology and technological gadgetry of all sorts - which I ascribe to their extraverted NT face.

Full article here:

Personality Type Development | Myers Briggs

The ENFP isn't in a satanic Ne-Te loop, but the person who suggests they are may need to see a psychiatrist.

This and loops aren't exclusive in any way. you can weaken your Dom/Aux function without developing the Aux/Tert/Inf functions.

And about the broader point--a psychological profile only has to be applicable to one person for it to be "Real". Perhaps it might not be helpful to anyone, but it's still there in such a case, and interesting to some who might find it coincidentally applicable to their lives, or just enjoyable to think about.

You might argue that such a thing is unhealthy for people, due to the misleading nature of it, but it's only misleading if you assert that it must be a Dom-Tert loop or inf flareup or whatever, or that they shouldn't seek professional help or more reliable explanations first/also. There are still some risks, of course, but there are plenty of arguments out there about how all typology is unhealthy, and you're sort of proving them right in some ways. :p

[MENTION=9310]uumlau[/MENTION] [MENTION=1206]cascadeco[/MENTION]

Reborn Relic

Damn American Cowboy
MBTI Type
INTP
Assuming it/they were ever "strong" to begin with, which is not guaranteed. Preference =/= skill or ability.

Sure, but depends on what system you use, and strength can also mean strength of preference. I.e. liking something a lot vs a little.

Jaguar

Sure, but depends on what system you use, and strength can also mean strength of preference. I.e. liking something a lot vs a little.

If Joe prefers to sing rather than dance, does that mean Joe can sing well? No. If Joe really, really, really prefers to sing rather than dance, does that mean Joe can sing well? No.

Jetta

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
Ni is like spider-sense. I think it is like your subconscious mind trying to tell you something.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Ni is like spider-sense. I think it is like your subconscious mind trying to tell you something.

As when a bunch of moderators suddenly joins a thread after it's already had a page or two of comments.

Mr Troll

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
bs
It is something that your brain tells you how things will fold but does not take into account the alternatives which makes it sucky perception.:newwink:

Forever

Permabanned
MBTI Type
NiFi
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
It could be anything, guys.

Really OP.

Everybody is trying to satisfy you so, so bad. Mr. Sherlock Holmes sir.

To me Ni is pretty much pulling rabbits out of a black top hat. I can't explain stuff well, but even I am surprised what's lurking underneath there. Feels everything isn't your own though lol.

laymen

Ni is about how to make an understanding of the principle to different level