• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What types can you empathize with?

Tamske

Writing...
MBTI Type
ENTP
I'm talking about fiction here, but I guess you can use real-life examples too. When you're reading (or watching a movie, soap,...) you'd empathize with the main character and probably also with some side characters. For which types is it easy to empathize with and for which ones not? Or, if you write stories yourself (like I do), which types are easier for you to write? I'm not asking which ones do you use the most (but probably it's an indicator), I want to know which ones are your best ones, the ones you can really get and of who you can understand their motivations.

1) ESTJ, ISFJ, INTJ
2) ESFJ, ENTP, INTP, ISFP, ENFJ, INFJ
3) ISTJ, ISTP, ENFP, INFP
4) ENTJ, ESTP, ESFP

I've never written a convincing ENTJ or ESTP. The only ESFP is a really superficial character. I don't really want to confirm the cliché, but some things are easier said than done.
The ENTPs are mostly comic relief or mad geniuses. I watch them from the sidelines, laugh at them but I rarely feel bad for them when their experiments go awry...

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
ENFP, INFJ, INFP, INTJ usually I strongly empathize with.

Many of my favorite female characters are ENFP or INFx. INTJ is the type of most fictional detectives I like.

Sometimes I empathize with xNTP, ENFJ or xSFP, and the occasional exceptionally charming ISTJ (like Hercule Poirot, in fact he's the only fictional ISTJ that I truly love).

I've noticed that I tend to be severely annoyed by xSFJs and xSTJs in fiction. IRL I'm probably most bothered by ESTJs, ESxPs, and ExFJs.

IRL I can empathize with individuals of different types and certainly don't want to limit my empathy or sympathy or warm feeling or friendship to type.

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
All the INxx types: INFPs, INFJs, INTPs, INTJs + ENFPs and ISFPs

I agree with marmalade above that SFJs & STJs in fiction can annoy me a lot, but often they are written to be that way. I think it's the author trying to mock the stereotypical woman/man, and it's also probably due to the kind of books I read & the authors' types.

I also don't empathize with STPs in fiction much, and only ESFPs if their Fi is apparent in the character in a way I can identify it.

ENTPs, ENTJs & ENFJs depend on the character, I guess. ENFJ females are somehow less relatable to me than ENFJ males.

Mr. Sherlock Holmes

Consulting Detective
MBTI Type
JiNe
Enneagram
5W4
I empathise with these in this order from most to least in general fiction.

INFP (adorable little dreamers)
INTP (easy to empathise with someone you can relate to)
ISFJ (Usually the biggest hearts in all of fiction: Charlie Brown, Samwise Gamgee etc.)
INFJ (Fighting for a cause)
ISFP (They're just nice and lovable and creative)
ENFP (Similar to INFP but not as deep)
ENTP (so optimistic and imaginative)
ISTJ (devoted and hardworking)
ENFJ (Similar to INFJ)
ISTP (They're okay)
ESFJ (often annoy me, but are sometimes good)
ESFP (Tend to be very stupid and rowdy in fiction)
INTJ (Usually evil)
ESTJ (Agro general)
ENTJ (Even more agro)
ESTP (Tendency to be written as shallow and obnoxious, and I disaprove of many of their common attitudes)

In general, it's actually easier to empathise with Fs, because they tend to be written more... lovingly?

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I may be more likely to empathize with a fictional character than an equivalent real person, since the author will often share the character's internal thoughts and motivations in a way that I seldom see from real people. This information makes it easier to see things from their perspective. In general, however, I have noticed that my own type stands out like a sore thumb to me. My empathy with INTJ characters is usually an order of magnitude stronger and more comprehensive than with other characters. Other thann that, I probably empathize most with other IN types.

Such Irony

Honor Thy Inferior
MBTI Type
INtp
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I'm going by real life since I don't watch a whole lot of TV and read mostly nonfiction. I find it easiest to empathize with my fellow INTPs. IxFx types I also find it easy. The most difficult types are probably the ESxPs. Their dominant extraverted sensing is so alien to the way I operate. Sometimes their overuse of sensing prevents them from having foresight. They'll do something they later regret or make unwise decisions because they haven't foreseen the implications of their actions. I'm thinking, well you should have thought of that before you did it! You got yourself into this mess. So when they're like that its hard for me to have sympathy for them.

Moiety

MBTI Type
ISFJ
With the misanthropic-ish ITPs.

With the ESFP that doesn't care if he is being regarded as a clown.

Random Ness

Hm.....

1. INFJ
3. Other NFs
4. SFs
5. NTs
6. STs

:eek: Sorry STs...we just have such different problems.

Domino

ENFJ In Chains
MBTI Type
eNFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I know that I responded strongly to the INFPs in Charlotte Bronte's books. I also strongly responded to Catherine in "Wuthering Heights" by sister Emily.

For some strange reason, when I'm writing, I feel a lot of sympathy and respect for my T characters.

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
NFPs, INTJ, NFJs

i just have an easier time relating to Ns in general. doesn't mean i always like them more, but i usually understand them better. and can guess their next moves and motives better, especially NFs.

great_bay

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
INTP's and INTJ's are usually the the side characters who help the protagonist as the guru. I like these characters so much better. They were just so smart and intelligence. I think one of my favorite stories is Series of Unfortunate events whereas the INTJ and INTP were the main character used their intelligence to outsmart their opponents.

However, I have favorite characters of all types.

HongDou

navigating
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Individual cases and my own type aside I'd say ESFP, ESFJ, INFP, and ISFJ.

Hitoshi-San

MBTI Type
esfp
Enneagram
???
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Other ExxPs! I wish there were a lot more female ExTPs in fiction that aren't the super stereotypical loud tomboy jock ESTPs or the practically nonexistent ENTP.

In real life I'd say I sympathize with ExxPs for the most part too. ENFPs probably the least out of those four. But they're still pretty cute.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Two-Headed Boy
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I'd say I empathize with FJ's the most, and NP's the least.

Too chaotic and unpredictable? I suppose it can be hard to know what we are up to. Sometimes I don't even know myself.

á´…eparted

passages
Too chaotic and unpredictable? I suppose it can be hard to know what we are up to. Sometimes I don't even know myself.

Mostly. NP's usually operate so differently than me that it ends up frustrating me or just outright making me mad. Even when what they do ends up working in the end my reaction is always like y u no do rite?! NFP's work out better because we'll have some common ground. NTP's it's usually very difficult.

To contrast, SP's operate rather differently than me as well. However at times I can act like them, and their madness and methods somehow make sense. I may not want to do it, or think it's rediculous, but I'll think "I get it" without being able to explain how or why. When I meet them in the middle I'll sort of figure it out and usually enjoy it. With NP's trying to meet in the middle or mesh just fails outright. I can't do it even if I try. If I get close I usually end up getting really stressed out the entire time.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Two-Headed Boy
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Mostly. NP's usually operate so differently than me that it ends up frustrating me or just outright making me mad. Even when what they do ends up working in the end my reaction is always like y u no do rite?! NFP's work out better because we'll have some common ground. NTP's it's usually very difficult.

If I, as an INTP, tried to do it "right" I wouldn't succeed, I don't think. I operate best when I use lateral thinking.

á´…eparted

passages
If I, as an INTP, tried to do it "right" I wouldn't succeed, I don't think. I operate best when I use lateral thinking.

It's tongue in cheek. More of what I meant was, they end up doing things in a way I just can't reason or follow.