• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Changes in your MBTI and Enneagram types

fetus

Enneagram
6w7
1. Maybe. Over the course of my life, it seems that Ne and Fi have traded places a few times. My Fi was surely the first to develop, I was a classic IxFP child, but Ne developed way earlier than the auxiliary is supposed to develop (probably around second grade). In mid to late elementary school, I became quite Ne-heavy, but Fi was never abandoned; I have always been a feeler above all else. In seventh grade, I went through a rebellious, intentionally defiant, self-described communist (didn't even fully understand the concept at twelve) phase that could've been interpreted as very ENFP-ish. Was clearly introverted and Fi dominant for eighth and ninth grades, but I met some good friends, and my Ne exploded. Maybe that's the aux development they talk of.

But no, I don't think I've changed. Just fluctuated and developed.

2. Not sure. I was actually very, very 9w1-ish as a young child, with a 2 fix. Sometime in third grade, I started feeling that "fundamentally different" 4 thing, and felt deeply upset to have been born abnormal (which I was, and I still consider myself to be happily out-of-sync with others), but some of that is honestly just angst that everyone goes through. 6 fix seemed apparent for a long time, fluctuated between phobic and counterphobic. 6w7 and 9w1 have always been very prevalent. Heart fix seemed to be a fluid 2w3/4w3 thing, but I'm convinced that the 4 was just a product of Fi, 6w7, my mental health issues, bullying, and normal angst.
So I've always been 2w3, 9w1, and 6w7 of some sort. Order of fixes probably changed.

geedoenfj

The more you know..
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
When I was younger I think I was INFJ 1w9

á´…eparted

passages
I have always been my type, I just lacked the self-confidance to be what comes natural to me, and instead morphed into what my environment expected me to be.

Sil

This is a test.
I've only really considered myself ESTJ. I had a short stint where I was an ENTP, but it was for less than six months.

Regarding enneagram, I've thought I was a 1w2, 3w2, 3w4, 6w5, 6w7, 7w8, 8w7, and 8w9 at various points.

Lady Lazarus

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I've spent 90% of my life trying not to be the 9w1 of the popular imagination. Even as a consistently overwhelmed child the word "timid" in my direction would incense me, I would do what was necessary in order to make whoever might have referred to me as such eat their words. In truth I was so adverse to these limiting and patronizing characterizations that I have actually developed opposite from archetypal expectations in necessary ways, wishing to push far away as is possible from them.

Nonetheless, although I didn't figure anything out by myself at all or accept my wing until recently, I at least take in now that I have always been a 9w1.

"The insomniac".

Lsjnzy13

MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
IDK
I'm sure that before high school I was ENFP. High school killed my social life and turned me into an INFP (ok joking. But I did turn into an INFP when I went into High School)

Yama

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I've always been pretty 9. Probably more 6-ish during my first year of college when I was super stressed out literally all the time.

Had you given me the test back in my 14-year-old "dark and pessimistic" phase I'd probably have gotten NF of some kind, probably INFP. The thought of that today just makes me laugh. I'd hate to go back in time and see past-me. I was embarrassing.

Edit: Obviously this post is not to imply INFPs are embarrassing but that I was (am) embarrassing.

Last edited:

Chrysanthe

Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Hm.... from what I don't remember...

Childhood years = IxFx ---> Some time later (7-11yrs?) = INxJ -----> Middle School = INFJ... extremely Beta by the end of 8th grade :newwink:

It's way more difficult to guess my type currently... but I'm thinking IxFJ.

Duffy

ENFx when I was younger. Typical perennial mouth idea vomit extrovert with T. S. Hunteresque thirst for adventure. INFx now that I'm older.

Part of the problem may have been because I was raised in a strict and unhealthy environment.

Kullervo

Permabanned
MBTI Type
N/A
Just curious.

1. Do you think that you were ever (genuinely) another MBTI type?

2. Do you ever think that you were ever another enneagram type?

It is hard to assess these for a couple of reasons.

Firstly, I don't have very many clear memories of my childhood. I actually don't remember that much of my life before about age 14 - 15, probably because it was very stressful so I've shut it out and over time lost the memories altogether. Which probably isn't a bad thing.

I don't know if I was ever genuinely another MBTI type, but for a long time I tried to suppress Fe-ish traits as much as possible because I got teased about them at home and was also made a target at high school for being too sensitive. In truth, I have only just begun to start recovering from the depression all this accrued in the last three months - though the low point was probably in 2014 - but have volcanic levels of resentment for many people. For the same reason (in fact probably even more so) Enneatyping myself has been very confusing; the depressive states have distorted my self-perception a lot.

So as far as MBTI goes, I am gradually coming out of a depression-induced Ni-Ti loop which has troubled me for a very long time. I am developing a strong 3 wing for the same reason. As a child I probably seemed (at least superficially) much more like an INTP 4w5 or even a 5w4 because of the looping.

Childhood: INxx
Adolescence (Ni-Ti loop): INxJ
Now: xNFJ

RobinSkye

What Is Life?
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I don't believe that I was ever "a different type." I think that people may be misled as to which type they actually are.

Based solely on dichotomies, I initially tested as INFP. I studied the functions and got really interested in doing typology research, and found that INTP profiles and Ti as a dominant function are both more accurate to me.
When getting into enneagram, I first saw 4 as the one that fit me best, and typed myself as 4w5. 4 definitely doesn't match my natural state of mind, but possibly more of an ideal outlook, much as INFP profiles are for me.

rmrf

I wrote a long reply to someone asking a question about this and because it's directly pertinent to this thread (which is a lot longer), I'm going to commit forum anethema and copypaste doublepost

It depends on the age at which the person takes the test. People's personality in the general sense of the word, certainly does evolve through different stages of development. I think in early adolescence e.g. like 12-16, the hormones along with just been a teen means there can be a change in personality. For instance, the first MBTI test I took when I was 16 typed me as INTJ, it was just something I had seen on a forum unrelated to typology, took it, identified with the result and forgot about it. Three years later, my friend introduces me to MBTI, and I had completely forgotten I was 'once an INTJ', until I was randomly going through my post history on the forum one night.

While Ti has always played a major role in my consciousness, I think dimensionally (Keirsey style), I was far more J than I am now, and my behavior was more in line with INTJ than TP. As I was finding myself, I think Ni temporarily took the front seat of my consciousness, and the role of Ti was more in line with a model 8 function. My areas of interest at the time were also more Te focused than Ti, e.g. rather than reading books, I was doing experiments with chemistry.

When I was a child, I was an extremely strongly typed INTP, but from like 13-16, I was tending towards being more J, and then as I was 17-18, there was a much more rapid shift towards INTP. I think for the most part, we have one, and only one true type, but it's by no means unusual for people to temporarily change into 'someone else' during the teenage years, and such a change could be detected psychometrically. Tests also can be very unreliable because they are limited by how you interpret the questions and one's level of self awareness, so the best way, is to build your own archetype of each of the 16 types and find on a personal level what's the best fit. The most egregious example I can think of an MBTI questionnaire producing a mistype was my dad whose a very strongly typed and avoidant INFP, but according to 16personalities.com, he's an ENFJ.

Probably the most fragile of the 4 dimensions is the J-P dimension because it's usually inferred through indirect questions that people often are unreliable in answering, e.g. "work then play, or play then work". By far there is the greatest error rate (in my opinion and experience) with this functionally critical dimension; I would be curious if there are any online tests that determine type by identifying primary functions. Less frequent but still very common is mistyping in the N-S dimension e.g. a sensor may be unaware of their 'lack of' intuition.

So a big factor for people's types changing on tests is their cognitive adaption towards answering questions, the more psychometric questionnaires you do, the more tricky questions you come across and thus gain greater self awareness. If your ability to accurately answer questions and your ability to identify the correctness of the result changes, then you may consistently get a new type despite previously identifying with a different type.

I've had a lot of coffee so I'm going to stop now, just in case my reply is like hundreds of words long haha

BeyondTheGrey

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
1) As a child I was typed INFJ. As of now, Im behaving like an STP.
Self-comfort, private, reserved and unemotional. Also addicted to speed at times.

2) My first test I scored 4w5.
Then I considered the possibilities of 4w5, 9w1 and 5w6.
Concluded that I am a 5w4. Read up on defence mechanisms and basically the stuff written by naranjo and chestnut.