• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What are shadow types?

Mr. Sherlock Holmes

Consulting Detective
MBTI Type
JiNe
Enneagram
5W4
I have heard about these in passing, but have never learned much about them. Apparently my shadow type is XSFJ, going by a profile. What does that mean?

Eric B

ⒺⓉⒷ
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
This is based on four-process theory, where the inferior is considered "the shadow", and the type with all four functions reversed (starting with your inferior as their dominant) is called the "shadow type".

There is also eight-process theory, where the "shadows" are your four functions with the attitudes reversed (or "the other four"). So the "shadow types" would be NTJ and SFP.

Eric B

ⒺⓉⒷ
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
It's just a type whose perspectives tend to be totally diferent from yours. In the case of the one with only the four reversed, then the perspectives will be a bit more similar, but the priorities reversed.
You can't really make too much out of this, as I have seen some do (like you can't get along with them, or anything like that). It is just something that can help you understand your relationships.

Andy

Supreme High Commander
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
I have heard about these in passing, but have never learned much about them. Apparently my shadow type is XSFJ, going by a profile. What does that mean?

As Eric said, the term shadow gets used in multiple ways. It can just mean the same as inferior (the fourth function) but it doesn't get used much that way anymore.

It is also often used to speak of the type whos concious functions are the same as your own, except in reverse order. Thats ESFJ for an INTP. In this sense, when an INTP starts to act out in accordance to their underdeveloped functions their Fe and Si comes to the fore, making them look like a rather unpleasant, unhealthy ESFJ.

In healthy individuals these types can seem very different, but as they age and the lower functions develop they become more similar.

It can also be used to describe the type whos entire eight point function order is exactly the reverse of your own. That ISFP for an INTP. The similarities (primary Ji with auxillary Pe) mean that they don't look that different at first, but unlike the first case they never really get more alike with age.