• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

How to type a stranger quickly?

xisnotx

Permabanned
What questions can you ask a total stranger to get a reasonably accurate sense of what their mbti type is and not have it be weird?

Would it be better to ask questions that concentrate on cognitive functions, temperaments or the individual axes?

Ideally I'm looking for a series of questions that enables me to type a person I have never met before with some degree of accuracy. I've been concentrating on each of the individual scales although I'm not opposed to any system that works. So far I have found it nearly impossible to gauge any of the scales except for one (J-P) with confidence.

I'll post a quick overview of the system I've developed to evaluate the J-P scale.....

Ask for opinions. Ask the person you are trying to type to give you his or her opinion about something in the immediate environment. Questions such as "Do you like this song?" or "Do you like this professor?" are perfect. If the person shows signs of feeling uncomfortable then that is perhaps an indication of P'ness. (lol....) The opposite is true. Also look for what I have come to call the Judge-Justify location. J's are much more likely to judge then justify their positions. P's on the other hand are more likely to justify then judge.

Feel free to add to, subtract from, critique, support etc anything I've written about this method.

I really need help with questions that evaluate the other axes. Post question and explain why different sides of the scale would give different answers (or react differently).

oh..and hey. First post here...although I do post infrequently at intpcentral.

Jaguar

Ask them whether they use brown or yellow mustard on their food.
Works every time.

Venom

Babylon Candle
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
the ONLY way to type someone on physical behavior (meaning without giving them a test), is by using the Kiersey methods. This is because traditional MBTI really is about thought process and not so much actions. Trying to pin down a Ne action vs a Te + Ni action, or a Fe + Ni vs Fi action...can be impossible. So instead theorists have taken the individual types and have comes up with different outward manifestations (thus how STPs are directing types even they are not Js!).

I prefer to use the interaction styles crossed with temperaments. I posted a really nice quick and dirty method somewhere on this forum...

INTERACTION STYLE
initiating vs responding
directing vs informing

TEMPERAMENT:
motive vs structure:
pragmatic vs affiliative

Chloe

you say "auch" like you are in big pain and if they immediately respond with empathy they are Fe users.
if they grab themself for their stomach they are Fi users.

:laugh:

You

MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
7w8
Punch them...see their reaction.

Mr. Sherlock Holmes

Consulting Detective
MBTI Type
JiNe
Enneagram
5W4
Do some Sherlock Holmes type deduction. Here are some things I am REASONABLY sure will be REASONABLY good indicators of type.

Tan lines where swimwear would likely go may be suggestive of S, particularly ES.

Crazy hair is a sign of P, particularly NP.

By self in public is suggestive of I.

Watch is somewhat suggestive of J.

N's (mainly INs and almost definitely not ENJ) will likely be paying less attention to what they're wearing, as will some SP's. If someone is wearing a T-shirt with something like this on it:
dos-run.jpg

You can be reasonably confident they're probably NT.

Coloured hair suggests P and tattoos are more common in SPs.

Well... I'm not sure but I think that's some things to look out for. All are just guidelines though.

You

MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
7w8
I can't disagree with the tattoos and SPs.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
my suggestion on the question on how to type strangers quickly? don't... what's the point? get to know the person before judging them :coffee:

Walking Tourist

it's tea time!
MBTI Type
esfp
Enneagram
Oh. No.
I can type strangers quickly. Other than the letter "n," all of the other letters are typed with the left hand. So... ready, get set, go!!!
Type "strangers."

strangers

4:39 seconds.
:hifive:

my suggestion on the question on how to type strangers quickly? don't... what's the point? get to know the person before judging them :coffee:

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I only like dijon mustard *looks snooty*

:tongue:

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
obviously we're the same personality type then! :holy:

xisnotx

Permabanned
the ONLY way to type someone on physical behavior (meaning without giving them a test)

I guess I'm looking for a sort of extremely informal oral test. More specifically, what questions for this "test" would look like. And how to make sense of their answers.

my suggestion on the question on how to type strangers quickly? don't... what's the point? get to know the person before judging them

Wouldn't typing them be part of the whole "getting to know them" process? If I want to get to know someone I first try to type them, then I try to understand how they differ from their archetype, then I try to understand how and/or why those differences occur, then I do the whole thing over again like 20 times. By typing them I am simply trying to understand them better. Judging them is something I am not trying to do.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
it's easier to just get them interested in typology and get them to type themselves as you get to know them... you have a better chance of accuracy that way :yes:

stalemate

Post-Humorously
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Oh. No.
I can type strangers quickly. Other than the letter "n," all of the other letters are typed with the left hand. So... ready, get set, go!!!
Type "strangers."

strangers

4:39 seconds.
:hifive:
Nice effort but you typed the wrong thing. The request was for 'a stranger.'

Halla74

Artisan Conquerer
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Ask them whether they use brown or yellow mustard on their food.
Works every time.

Yup.
It's common knowledge that Sensors do not use Grey Poupon. :yes: