• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

How is this MBTI useful to your life?

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
There seems to be lots of discussion on what each type is and is not, the theories of functions and their attitudes but almost no discussion on implementation and use.

So how do you use yours?

Do you type friends and family, if so why?

Is the MBTI a hobby or part of something greater to you?

What's the best use you've found thus far?

How do you find the theories measure up against real life?

Do you consider yourself skilled in typing people or are you just observing and making notes?

Kenneth Almighty

MBTI Type
ENXP
Mostly a really sad hobby.

Right now I see it as a set of "personality goals", of behaviors I want to establish in myself. Like, how an inventor acts, I'll act like that, because I want to be as much of an inventor as I can. I'm not sure if that's possible, the MBTI would disagree.

Ghost of the dead horse

filling some space
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Interesting questions you have there.

So how do you use yours?
I tend to expect too much of people. MBTI describes certain behaviors that tend to cluster together; I can use it to identify persons preferences faster and to understand what makes them tick. Personally, I care a about almost everything in life anyone ever cares. So, my main clue to understanding people is understanding what they don't care about; MBTI offers useful templates for this.

Did it ages ago. I guess I wanted to engage in stereotyping and making myself seem better. Part of it was seeing life as big drama; people were the roles they "portrayed".

Now I mostly seek to take the initiative in co-operate with people in various projects, so I sometimes type them to aid my communication with them. I mostly seek a common language with them. I must say, MBTI isn't the first or the second thing I go for.

A hobby, a tool.

Entertainment.

The strict function order theory is bollocks.
The MBTI of course measures what it measures, so someone scoring ENTP has high Ti and high Ne. That doesn't provide any information though.
People are quite persistent in their traits and habits, as far as MBTI is concerned, so I strongly feel that MBTI captures something worthwhile. It doesn't seem the best tool for that, though. After 10 years of MBTI as a hobby, I feel most people are somewhat more balanced and well-rounded than the type descriptions. Some other tools might capture the essence of their behaviors and traits a bit better.

Do you consider yourself skilled in typing people or are you just observing and making notes?
I haven't really practiced typing in many years. I consider that people's behaviors are more situational than usually thought of, so that accurate typing is more difficult than just making a bullet list of behaviors and counting 1+1.
I think I do an OK job in typing, to the extent that reality allows. It's uncertain science, so in the end, my typings are just somewhat accurate.

Mr. Sherlock Holmes

Consulting Detective
MBTI Type
JiNe
Enneagram
5W4
Mostly a really sad hobby.

Same. Sad hobby. Occasionally helps in understanding people but mostly it's just fun to type people. But occasionally I get obsessed and it actually starts making me depressed because I think about it too much. Then I try to avoid it for a while, but it keeps popping into my head.

Eric B

ⒺⓉⒷ
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Great for identifying and understanding the dynamics of interpersonal relationships.

DJAchtundvierzig

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx
I like to type anyone I possibly can, so yes, I do type both my friends and my family, call me obsessed.
I like to do this so I can understand different perpesctives and understand where people are coming from.
The more we know about others can can put ourselves into others, we will more likely be a better person
towards them. And I think every human being should strive for that. :)

MBTI is a huge hobby for me. I have alot of fun deeply understanding people. I often feel as if I'm outside
of the loop or not connected with everyone even though I definatly am, and MBTI just helps me to be closer
with other people. So I guess that could say that it is more than just a hobbby, it is something much greaer.

As I've said earlier, I find that it is a great way to truely connect with, and understand people.

These theories are often correct, but I need to learn to see the person for who they are, and not just their
type. I sometimes can jusde a person too much based on their type. And even though I'm always right when I
type someone, there are always other aspects of a human being beyond the MBTI theory.

I consider myself both skilled and observing and taking notes. I still have MUCH to learn, and I'm open to learning
ALOT more, but I still have good skills typing people. This site has truely impacted me, thus has impacted everyone
I have come in contact with. This site has practically touched the world. Wow... My 'F' is showing, I'm being a little
dramatic. :D But still, I'm very thankful for this site. I have alot of healing to and this MBTI has been the spring board
for my healing proccess. This site has made such a positive impact on me. Enough about me. :D

nolla

Senor Membrane
MBTI Type
INFP
So how do you use yours?

I don't really. I don't want to think myself as a type, and so far I don't even feel like it's limits are too bounding.

I have, but only for purposes of discussing them here. There are some advantages of being able to put people in different boxes and discuss about them with other people. There are limits as well.

Not even a hobby.

Understanding the scope of human experience.

If you keep in mind that you are dividing 6+ billion people in only 16 different categories, then they do just fine...

No. I am mostly observing. I don't really even pay attention to how I typed people, since I don't usually use this in real life.

Chloe

mostly out of habit...

none. it was hobby now it's just a bad habit. :D

figuring out i'll never be SJ and that's great.

moderately.

i am not v skilled, too subjective to be skilled.

Mole

Permabanned
The Institution and the Individual

MBTI is useful for powerful institutions to manipulate gullible individuals.

Here we focus just on the individual and so the institution is invisible.

This is call misdirection and it works.

But better than MBTI is speaking truth to power.

However this requires moral courage while MBTI only requires narcissism.

Such Irony

Honor Thy Inferior
MBTI Type
INtp
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Yes, I like seeing what makes them tick and how I can relate better to them. And its like a puzzle to solve, which I enjoy.

Both.

I've analyzed how being an INTP has impacted my life and worked with that knowledge towards self-improvement and greater life satisfaction.

Depends. There are some people who seem to fit the type descriptions exactly. I think functional development theory with age really varies for people. Supposedly, the theory says something like you develop your dominant in childhood, your auxilary in adulthood, your tertiary in the first part of adulthood, and don't even get to your inferior until middle age or later. I've known people who have gone through the stages of development far earlier than that and some older people who have never seemed to develop their weaker functions at all.

Except for family, friends, and selected acquaintances, I don't go around typing everyone I see in real life. Most of the typing of others I do is on this forum. I find it difficult to be analyzing someone's type and trying to focus on the social interaction with the person at the same time.

I rate my ability to type others as so-so. Definitely room for improvement. I have to watch out for not going by stereotypes as a typing method (i.e. that person must be an E because she likes to party!). People are not always what they seem on the surface.

Interestingly, people I know really well like family members are often harder to type than people I sort of know well. With the former group, you see just how complex they are and you see traits that fit both sides of the dichotomy.

animenagai

MBTI Type
NeFi
Enneagram
4w3
So how do you use yours?

I use MBTI in pretty much everything people related. I like to get a clue as to how people think. The insight comforts me and it also prevents me from stepping on too many toes or being too careful when I don't need to. I also use it in my quest for self improvement which has been successful.

Yes I do, as I said, it's mostly for the insight (almost for the sake of insight). If someone screams SJ, I will try to be a thoughtful, everyday sort of guy for example. It's worked for me.

It's mostly a hobby, but as I said it's useful too.

Probably my quest for self knowledge. I wasn't sure if I was an F or a T, but through juggling between them I have come to know more about myself. As an ENFP, I will always have this problem of wanting approval but wanting to be myself at the same time. Therefore when someone is negative, I can only shut them down so much. I think it's something I need to learn and live with, though I can minimize its negative effects. MBTI has also helped me develop a study method that works for me. Let's hope this translates into a top grade for my masters.

People take the theories too simply. I strongly believe that theories are vital to understanding and that if a theory doesn't match with real life, that's not a problem with theory itself, just that specific theory. When people try and apply MBTI, I think they need to give themselves a bit more conceptual wiggle room.

Right now, I don't believe in types, I believe in functions. I believe that types are just easy ways of referring to functions. For example, you can be a Ne Fi Te Si etc. and ENFP is the tag that you label that with. However, I find it completely plausible for you to be a Ne Fi Si for example, and note that there isn't a type with such an order of functions. I believe MBTI has a good base, and yes, it can be applied irl quite well, but it still takes some work.

I'm decently good at typing people, both online and IRL. I've chatted with certain people on the internet and guess their types in my head. Some time later they would do an MBTI test and my guesses would be correct. There's gotta be some weight in that. However, I have also typed people before and see that I've mistyped them when they post up their test results on fb or something. It's usually just the difference of a letter though, so I'll say I'm good enough.

annnie

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
4w3
Hey - yes, I have become more interested in this in the last couple of years (though first came across MBTI long before that but didn't have the attention span to remember what the letters stood for or meant (!))

So how do you use yours?
- Self understanding - "why do I feel uncomfortable being pushed into this decision" etc.
- Strengths and weaknesses... when asked about (e.g. on project reports!)

- Yes, mostly cos I'm curious and to understand further about 'instantly' typing people (ie perceiving them as a particular type such as ENTJ etc rather than try to ascertain each letter in turn)

- A framework for understanding people and why they do stuff they do - when it seems inexplicable to me ("What do you mean, it's my role in life to do xxxxx")

- Helping not to get annoyed with 'clueless' people (IS_Js... I have the hardest time with) and understand them in a spirit of peace and understanding etc
- or understanding myself and why it's ok not to be able to settle down to the established method of doing something (which was just what some seeming authority type person might have said years ago......)

- Generally most people fit their type most of the time to the extent that it can be identified, though anything not fitting 'type' may just be a reaction to stress or having to visit relatives for an extended time or whatever

- I can identify most types off the bat now as I have got used to them (lots of things allow identification e.g. particular words/types of language used, preferences for particular approaches etc) but I don't feel confident to identify the following types: ENTJ, INFJ, ISFP. The others I can generally suss out (strangely was thinking about this the other day and actually made a list *gasp* of types I can vs can't instantly identify!)

Trentham

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4

Yes, and I don't stop there. I find myself trying to type just about everyone I come into contact with. No specific reason apart from being a test of my observational skills and a fun exercise.

It started off as a hobby which is continually developing into something greater. I first became interested in MBTI as a teenager (20 years ago). Over the past couple of years I've grown and refined my understanding of the theory such that it's become an integral component of my conscious mind. I'm even considering a (long overdue) career change because of it.

Better understanding of myself and the people around me, although I still have a very long way to go on both those accounts.

I would say that 60-80% of folks fall into the "easily typable" category. Two caveats:

1. It's silly to assume that everyone from a certain archetype will always display some of the same characteristics. As the abbreviation itself points out, it is an "indicator," nothing more. I've met other INTPs whom I had almost nothing in common with.

2. I believe there are some folks to whose personalities MBTI theory doesn't easily apply.

I think I'm pretty good at it, because I make it a point to be.

angelhair45

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
I am just fascinated which is why I'm learning about it... I have no idea if it will become more serious or if it will run it's course.

Practical application. I've learned why I conflict with people, and have been able to work though issues with people that I never could before. It also helps me parent better... For instance, both my husband and I wondered if our son was OCD till I realized he's probably an SFJ. I am learning how to interact with him in a way that I couldn't comprehend before since I was so different as a child.

So basically it helps me interact with people who are different than me. Before I just operated under the assumption that I was just different than them, and there was something wrong with me and right with them. Now I know we are just different... it relieved an enormous amount of pressure and gave me a new sense of freedom.

You

MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
7w8
Seems most use it for relationship.

Synapse

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Does knowing MBTI make me a more savvy individual in the outside world. Well had my interpersonal communication been good then I would say yes, however I have to say since I got fuzzed from customer service and am relationshipless then hardly. You would assume knowing this would create savvyness galore. Sadly health and life seems to backfire on me most days.

Just need to answer this q in a humble way...yes both!

As to everything else, I'm a slave to indolence. :shrug:

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
actually, that's the whole point i'm still on this site. just came here because i always tested INFP and it didn't really fit, but the members helped me figure out i'm actually ENFP. but i've had communication issues with my dad and brother (INTP) for years, and stuff on this site is helping me to somewhat understand the language barrier between us.

i'm having some real breakthroughs in the latest Fe-Fi thread in the NF forum, too - learning how my language can come off as self-absorbed and writing others off to some people, etc. i'm learning what better to be attentive to with certain people, and helping others learn the way myself and people similar to me interpret things. it's really, really good. a facet of the world has opened to me that i've never been able to see before. it's helping me be a better me, too. it gives me a certain security to understand the places where i can probably push my limits more just for the fun of it, and others that i can work on. talking about Fi is really helping me understand why i'm so sensitive and emotional sometimes, and how better to deal with that.

yeah, because they're people i'd like to understand better and have less conflict with. i'm not saying MBTI is a panacea, but it's helpful to consider if i have conflict with a certain person. it helps me give people the benefit of the doubt more. and helps me to see where their heart lies. i have trouble understanding certain types in real life, but hearing things from their perspective with the barrier of internet anonymity makes it easier for me to understand how they generally see things and why they might be acting like they are without the pressure of real-time interaction. to a certain extent, the MBTI has renewed my faith in people.

however, on the dark side, recently i've been having difficulty not snapping to thinking about someone's type. i think i'll get over this in a little while - i'm just so mired in theory right now and waiting for my new job to start, so i don't have a ton else on my mind - but it's a little disturbing sometimes.

mostly a hobby.

like i was getting at above, communication issues. if there's a misunderstanding and i don't see what i've done, it's useful to resort to the jungian paradigm and see if it can offer any answers.

like most theories - fun but too specific to actually describe everything in life.

eh. with some people, it just jumps out at you. it's so obvious. other people i have no clue.

G

garbage

I know how impersonal all of this comes across. Welp :shrug:

So how do you use yours?
Stereotyping.

No, seriously.

I've sort of duct-taped MBTI to my 'way of interacting with people.' I've got about six or so 'archetypes' in my head, with MBTI types and temperaments influencing how I've defined them.

I then sort of use those archetypes in my dealings with others. I pin down how people fit into my own archetypes pretty readily and do make snap judgments, though I account for other facets of their personality and open to being proven wrong if someone doesn't 'fit.'

I've also used it as a tool for personal growth, a classification of different 'skills' that we can use.

I know that the theory isn't 'supposed' to describe behaviors. I don't give a damn if my way of using MBTI is 'right' or not--it's useful in this way, and that's all that matters to me.

Mostly hobbyist, but it can be useful for dealing with new people.

Mostly a good, useful tool for the big ol' toolbox. See also: other psychological theories, sociology, etc.

People behave differently, and people can be categorized in a subjective matter. So, in that sense, it 'measures up' by definition.

As far as the actual underlying theory? Yeah, wake me up when we've got some actual validation of Jungian functions and how they are the end-all, be-all of personality :shrug:

There's no skill involved in classifying people subjectively. The real skill is in successfully interacting with others, and being able to generalize to a certain extent in the right way helps with that.