• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Describe your dom function

Noon

How does it feel?
Fluid and lava lampy, or conscious and analytical?
Contemplative and aimless or determined and purposeful?

How did you learn to trust it enough for it to become the hero?
Was it wholly naturally occurring or could you feel yourself experimenting throughout your life?

Third, how differently do you think your life would have unfolded, the directions you would have taken, if your dominant and inferior were in switched roles. To what extent would it affect your current ideologies, values, principles? In other words, how vital is your dominant function to the person you are today.

I'm curious. :hi:

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Feels like the Tsunami. Washing over everything I am.
Sometimes it feels like magic, turning everything I touch into gold.

Seriously though, if I had Fi first, I'd be lying under a rock, meditating and praying for peace on Earth (and all the other planets). In other words, pretty useless.

nolla

Senor Membrane
MBTI Type
INFP
How does it feel?

I feel it like a vague sense of who I am or should be. I feel when I am swimming against the current. This feeling is on the background all the time, like a theme song. It can be hard to notice, but it's everywhere.

Was it wholly naturally occurring or could you feel yourself experimenting throughout your life?

I tried hard to be as smart and obeying everyone thought I was, but eventually hit the wall with that life style.

Third, how different do you think your life would have unfolded, the directions you would have taken, if your dominant and inferior were in switched roles. To what extent would it affect your current ideologies, values, principles? In other words, how vital is your dominant function to the person you are today.

If I had kept obeying and being smart, I would probably be some sort of engineer who feels like he isn't doing what he was supposed to be doing. I would have a family as expected of me. I would have a psychotic episode when I am forty, and would get off the meds when I'm fifty. I would never recover completely.
:jew:

rowingineden

MBTI Type
iNfp
Enneagram
9w1
Fi - a compulsion to do that which is good, regardless of what would be best for me. Related: Kant, categorical imperative.

I never did really trust it, because it often leads to me be used by others. However, I can't complain, because it makes me awfully driven and passionate, a warrior for the forces of good.

I think I'd be a huge jerk if Te were my dominant function.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
contemplative, aimless for sure...always intrigued by new ideas...looking to collect information from different sources...having this need to go to different sources and tie divergent things together...seeing the world as a map in my head and connecting it through time...I see time in my head as a line backwards, but at the same time it's fluid...needing external stimulation from reading/music/walking/talking/travel...but other times living inside of my own head in completely imaginary things or making theories...very much a sense of either bouncing around or being withdrawn into my own little world (maybe that's the transition from Ne to Fi?)

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Feels like the Tsunami. Washing over everything I am.
Sometimes it feels like magic, turning everything I touch into gold.

Seriously though, if I had Fi first, I'd be lying under a rock, meditating and praying for peace on Earth (and all the other planets). In other words, pretty useless.

I think *if* I had Fi first I would have known exactly who I was and what I wanted at a younger age instead of having this drive to explore and move around and worry that if I don't try this or that I'll feel stagnant.

Oh, duh, I totally missed that I'm supposed to talk about my inferior...if I had Si first then my life would have been much more consistent. I would have stayed home, started college, followed a path of least resistance and done "the right thing" I'm pretty certain. My life choices would seem more sensible to a certain kind of person, and I probably would have been able to stay in one place, or at least in one job. I would have a lot more security but be hella fucking boring.

Rebe

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4sop
"How does it feel?
Contemplative and aimless or determined and purposeful?"

It is both fluid/lava lampy, conscious and analytical. Some things, I just know is right and I have no internal battles or persuasion to do. Other times, I need a thorough explanation as to why I feel/think a certain way, why I support this and not that.

"How did you learn to trust it enough for it to become the hero?
Was it wholly naturally occurring or could you feel yourself experimenting throughout your life?"

I trust the more objective parts of it. I trust the part of Fi that tells me to do good, to do better, to go by my ethical code, to create and stick with my ideals and believe in humanitarian missions. I distrust greatly the more personal parts of it relating to personal relationships. That may be more Fe-Si weaknesses, not Fi. Fi sometimes makes everything personal when it really is not.

"Third, how differently do you think your life would have unfolded, the directions you would have taken, if your dominant and inferior were in switched roles. To what extent would it affect your current ideologies, values, principles? In other words, how vital is your dominant function to the person you are today."

My Fi is crucial to my development as a person today. It's my whole character, my whole perspective and goals. If my dominant is Te, I'd be extremely different, it'd be like being flipped around and starting from the opposite end over to Fi rather than from Fi over to Te.

I would be missing out on a lot of things that I find rewarding and inspiring right now, but I'd be much more competent, confident, assertive and practical.

nolla

Senor Membrane
MBTI Type
INFP
Fi - a compulsion to do that which is good, regardless of what would be best for me. Related: Kant, categorical imperative.

I never did really trust it, because it often leads to me be used by others. However, I can't complain, because it makes me awfully driven and passionate, a warrior for the forces of good.

This sounds quite different Fi than mine... For me almost all kinds of fighting (concretely or figuratively) seems inefficient. People tend to resist when they are pushed.

rowingineden

MBTI Type
iNfp
Enneagram
9w1
This sounds quite different Fi than mine... For me almost all kinds of fighting (concretely or figuratively) seems inefficient. People tend to resist when they are pushed.
Well, mine is probably different because it has been shaped by what was required to deal with my childhood circumstances. I was around highly unethical, manipulative people, so I had to fight to break through all that. I feel obligated to be a warrior for the forces of good because of all the "evil" I grew up around.

nolla

Senor Membrane
MBTI Type
INFP
I understand, it would probably influence a lot how you deal with the world when grown up. How do you exactly do it? Like, where do you find the people to fight for..? How do you know if they really need/want you to fight for them and how do you know that the bad guy really is a bad guy?

My strategy is to hang around a few people hoping to make their lives easier and if I'm lucky, helping their development, something a lot more passive than yours, so I find it interesting that in a different scenario I might be doing the same as you.

Little Linguist

Striving for balance
MBTI Type
xNFP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
How does it feel?

Interesting. I don't analyze things based on 'how I feel.' Wow, how do I analyze things - what is it like?

Hmm, I'd say it's like a steamroller. It's like a tsunami (like the person above stated). It's like being naturally high. It's like having a waterfall inside of you. Sometimes it's like instant clarity. Sometimes it's like hopscotch. Sometimes it's like a flash of light that blinds you, like when you are looking out of the windshield and the sun is right in your line of sight. Sometimes it's like a bolt of lightning and the crash of thunder.

I have a stream of consciousness. It's like a commentator during a sports match, connecting things rather than observing them. It's analyzing what is beyond what I see, so that I don't see anymore. It's analytical and open at the same time. It's like a voice in the back of your mind, making...wow...this is really hard to describe.

Daydreaming: contemplative and aimless, floating like on a cloud, but hopping and jumping from one cloud to another, falling through one cloud and jumping onto another one, like a butterfly fluttering among the flowers, never really resting on one of them because they are all so great.

Brainstorming/thinking: determined. VERY determined. VERY purposeful. VERY analytical, almost critical. Thinking ahead. Looking for alternatives. Seeing how far they go. What is the best option?

Did I?

I was conscious of my stream of consciousness all my life and thought this meant I was mentally ill because I mistook it for 'voices' I had read about. HAHAHA, until I talked to my aunt, who is a psychologist, and she explained the difference.

In addition, I was conscious of my tendency to hop. In fact, my hopping mechanism is the way I get to sleep. When I was a child, I had trouble falling asleep. Hopping was the way I soothed myself to sleep, if that makes sense.

I found if I thought about things consciously or daydreamed, either way would lull me to sleep.

However, I was pretty much always very keenly attune to my thought processes, even when I was young (though unsophisticated). However, I was never very attune to my feelings, which are an entirely different matter.

Third, how differently do you think your life would have unfolded, the directions you would have taken, if your dominant and inferior were in switched roles. To what extent would it affect your current ideologies, values, principles? In other words, how vital is your dominant function to the person you are today.

I think I would have been a lot brighter or smarter, much more capable or intelligent - at least better at perfect recall, which I truly envy. I think I would be better at concrete, practical matters, which would be lovely.

Yet, I wouldn't want to change who I am. Maybe it would have changed my life in negative ways I cannot foresee right now.

The best would be to master the skill over time and incorporate the best parts of me and overcome my weaknesses. Then I would have the best of both worlds, so to speak.

CuriousFeeling

From the Undertow
MBTI Type
INfJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
How does it feel?
A warm glow inside. It also feels like this constant stretching feeling inside, growing up towards the sun... growing towards that warm glow you see inside yourself.

More like an inner light with sparkles. It's kind of fluid too.

Determined and purposeful, but at the same time contemplative. Not really aimless, more like I know the direction to go, or the direction I should go. It's dreamy and idealistic, but at the same time taking in all the information that's coming from the outside world going in... think of it like light entering from a window, and then coming up with a prediction about where that light is coming from, what qualities it has, what potential that light has to become a giver of life, life to make a dream become reality.

I think when I was in high school, I started to become aware that I could read people like books. I could tell if someone liked me, or disliked me, and whether or not I belonged in their group. I suppose when I was younger I could get a general vibe off of someone.

It feels natural to me, although I do test it for accuracy.

Domino

ENFJ In Chains
MBTI Type
eNFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Fe - goodness gracious, great balls of fire!

Lucas

MBTI Type
INTP
Fluid, but at the same time incredibly hard. Kind of like a clear, thin liquid that turns anything it touches to crystal, makes it completely transparent.

Not really directed and forceful, although it can be channeled towards certain things.

A low-viscosity, clear non-Newtonian fluid.

rowingineden

MBTI Type
iNfp
Enneagram
9w1
I understand, it would probably influence a lot how you deal with the world when grown up. How do you exactly do it? Like, where do you find the people to fight for..? How do you know if they really need/want you to fight for them and how do you know that the bad guy really is a bad guy?

My strategy is to hang around a few people hoping to make their lives easier and if I'm lucky, helping their development, something a lot more passive than yours, so I find it interesting that in a different scenario I might be doing the same as you.
Well, my criteria is highly intuitive and also very much influenced again by my early childhood experiences. I tend to fight on the side of those who are misunderstood, minorities, outsiders, people who have no voice, against people that have predatory, bigotted, and oppressive qualities. It's easy for me to spot a human predator - my senses just pick up on one as soon as he/she enters a room I happen to be in. It's an intuitive skill I acquired and refined quite a bit because I needed it so much when I was younger.

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
1)
shining threads connecting everything
basking in infinity.

2)
fluid and omnipresent
like the ocean
the desert
the sky

Fi is the glowing warmth
but Ne reveals how to illuminate everything.

3)
the goal is to understand everything
and to light it aflame with your heart
but there are so many ways to go about that
and sometimes you stumble upon things when you're not looking
that you would have never have found if you were focused
also, it can be fun :)

4)
i think i have always trusted it.
my Fi assessments were more black-and-white as a child
but that is, in part, natural child development.
it held back Ne more subconsciously,
now i do so more willingly.

5)
sometimes i question how very all over the place i am.
which is good. i need balance.
but being all over the place
is good in a lot of ways
too.

6)
if i were an ISFJ
i suppose that i would have a better memory
understand how to care in a practical way
be more supportive and purposeful
be more focused and steady
find comfort in singularity
instead of infinity.

of course, singularity and infinity are one in the same.
in many ways i am an ISFJ and they are me
"all is one": to me it is the hymn of life
how Ne of a religious belief is that ;)

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
How does it feel? Fluid and lava lampy, or conscious and analytical?
Both? There's an atmospheric, vague quality to Fi. There's a strong, almost innate knowing of what is important in a fluid way - it's sure, yet flexible, because it's context dependent. Everytime the external changes, it has to be gauged against this internal measure, which does not change, but is so broad that it's not anything like rules. To describe it with words constricts the vastness of these fundamental principles. To define it can lose too much of the meaning.

I think that's why it is called "feeling" - it reveals itself to you in a sort of whole, complete manner. Sometimes I make connections to these feelings in a clear way so that little close inspection is required - it is like a knee-jerk judgment. Other times, there involves a rather thorough examination of ideals in order to evaluate them & keep them consistent with each other & your knowledge of what is actually true outside of yourself. I find myself playing devil's advocate with myself in a pretty conscious way. I also work out feelings through fantasy in a semi-conscious way - I'm not even aware the daydreaming has purpose until a conclusion is born out of it. I spend a lot of time exploring feelings, but it's very indirect, which lends to a very imaginative, visual, tonal way of thinking with an analytical slant.

Contemplative, definitely. I'd say that Fi fuels determination & gives purpose. It's the backbone, whereas Ne is the aimless part of me.

I've always trusted it as far as ideals - to borrow from Rebe below. When it comes to the big picture, I've always known what I value, who I am, and what my moral stance is. When it comes to applying these concepts in reality or to relationships, I would get lost. In that sense, I did experiment with different avenues of meeting this inner vision. Not until my late teens did any of my altruistic nature surface. There were times in my life when I wanted to deny Fi, as far as finding it a nuisance - this is especially true of the "softer" emotional side of it. It seemed like it was me colliding with the world, and I resented the position - but I had to broaden my perspective. I think that's where Ne plays the parent - it helps Fi mature & reach its potential.

I think my life would be very different in most ways - I'd probably have accomplished a lot more practically, may be more "successful" by external standards, and I might be more content (being less idealistic). My personal values would be different - less emphasis on self-expression & far-off hopes/dreams, more interest in grounded goals. However, I think I'd still have a perfectionist streak that could get in the way, and I think I'd have a similar moral belief system, but for very different reasons, and possibly defined/carried out in a more rigid, literal way.

Bottom line is - I would NOT be the same person.

I relate to this post also:

It is both fluid/lava lampy, conscious and analytical. Some things, I just know is right and I have no internal battles or persuasion to do. Other times, I need a thorough explanation as to why I feel/think a certain way, why I support this and not that.

I trust the more objective parts of it. I trust the part of Fi that tells me to do good, to do better, to go by my ethical code, to create and stick with my ideals and believe in humanitarian missions. I distrust greatly the more personal parts of it relating to personal relationships. That may be more Fe-Si weaknesses, not Fi. Fi sometimes makes everything personal when it really is not.

My Fi is crucial to my development as a person today. It's my whole character, my whole perspective and goals. If my dominant is Te, I'd be extremely different, it'd be like being flipped around and starting from the opposite end over to Fi rather than from Fi over to Te.

I would be missing out on a lot of things that I find rewarding and inspiring right now, but I'd be much more competent, confident, assertive and practical.

:yes:

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
grrr it won't let me do what i want!! i'm trying to attach something!!

SecondBest

Permabanned
MBTI Type
eNxp
Enneagram
5/7
I'm an INFP and my cognitive development profile says Ne/Ni are close together and my most used functions. There's a balance between chaos and order in it that I like, kind of like this picture of a swarm of fireflies.

fireflies.gif

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'm an INFP and my cognitive development profile says Ne/Ni are close together and my most used functions. There's a balance between chaos and order in it that I like, kind of like this picture of a swarm of fireflies.

fireflies.gif

oh wtf are you serious!? my response was this
bee-swarm.jpg

and i had a wave file but it wouldn't let me attach! haha that's funny! and...way weird actually.