• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Type and excitability?

energystar

MBTI Type
ISTP
Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone have any input on what type (or dominant function) is the most excitable? And by that I mean most likely to get too emotionally or mentally involved in stuff, too enthusiatic (or the opposite - to negative), most liable to suffer from burnout, most likely to adopt an "all or nothing" attitude, getting too engaged or too disengaged?

I would really like an answer to this so if anyone can help please do :)

KDude

EFP and EFJ probably.

EFP probably less, since their enthusiasm is based more around things/events/ideas.. Fe is specifically "people invested", and could be more unpredictable/leading to burnout.

Halla74

Artisan Conquerer
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
EFP and EFJ probably.

EFP probably less, since their enthusiasm is based more around things/events/ideas.. Fe is specifically "people invested", and could be more unpredictable/leading to burnout.

I concur with Professor K-Dude! :yes:

I know several ExFPs and ExFJs in real life and all are "excitable" in their own way. :cheese:

energystar

MBTI Type
ISTP
Thanks!
Among the introverted types, what type would is most likely to get overwhelmed, obsessed, overly invested, and feel emotionally and mentally "fried out" afterwards?

Mole

Permabanned
OE

Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone have any input on what type (or dominant function) is the most excitable? And by that I mean most likely to get too emotionally or mentally involved in stuff, too enthusiatic (or the opposite - to negative), most liable to suffer from burnout, most likely to adopt an "all or nothing" attitude, getting too engaged or too disengaged?

I am told I am OE (over excitable). However I prefer to say I have a high response to stimulae. OE is unusual and I have tried to speak with others with OE on the internet and ended up here.

For me, being highly excitable is normal. I am highly excitable by reading, by looking at and making art, by ideas and putting them into practice, by social interaction, and simply by waking up in the morning.

I would like to think of it as a gift. And so it is a gift I need to treasure and develop.

When I find someone else with high excitability, we flow together like water.

One advantage is that I can concentrate for long periods on something I like. I can enter into the flow where time disappears, even I disappear for a while.

Flow I find is deeply relaxing and refreshing and validating.

Probably the most important thing is that I need to look after myself.

Little Linguist

Striving for balance
MBTI Type
xNFP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Dude, seriously, I'm probably the most effervescent person on this whole entire forum. :D

energystar

MBTI Type
ISTP
I am told I am OE (over excitable). However I prefer to say I have a high response to stimulae. OE is unusual and I have tried to speak with others with OE on the internet and ended up here.

For me, being highly excitable is normal. I am highly excitable by reading, by looking at and making art, by ideas and putting them into practice, by social interaction, and simply by waking up in the morning.

I would like to think of it as a gift. And so it is a gift I need to treasure and develop.

When I find someone else with high excitability, we flow together like water.

One advantage is that I can concentrate for long periods on something I like. I can enter into the flow where time disappears, even I disappear for a while.

Flow I find is deeply relaxing and refreshing and validating.

Probably the most important thing is that I need to look after myself.

Thank you for your response.
One question though, do you tend to feel mentally and/or emotionally fried out after experiencing hight excitability? Like all your emotional and/or mental synapses have been burned out?

KDude

I think it depends what kind of environmental stimulation an introvert is dealing with. A N could get tired of S activities.. or not. An S could get bored with N. Personally, Fe types could hug me all day, make me dinner, throw a party, be interested in me, cheer me up about whatever I'm going through, and I'd be happy. :)

Mole

Permabanned
Thank you for your response.
One question though, do you tend to feel mentally and/or emotionally fried out after experiencing hight excitability? Like all your emotional and/or mental synapses have been burned out?

It's like interval training where I have a burst of energy followed by a recovery period. The recovery period is very important for that is where the body and mind integrate the burst of energy.

However after a recovery period I feel refreshed and relaxed and ready for the next burst of energy.

I take it though you do feel mentally and emotionally fried out after a period of high excitability. And you sound a bit worried by this.

energystar

MBTI Type
ISTP
Okay, I think the type I am trying to pinpoint is someone who tends to get overly excited and invested in whatever project captures their interest and who experience a rush of energy from it, but its a mock kind of energy because it always leaves the person feeling feeling really "fried out" both emotionally and mentally?

I would think ExFP and ExFJ would cope better with excitability and not end up feeling fatigued afterwards? Or am I wrong?

energystar

MBTI Type
ISTP
It's like interval training where I have a burst of energy followed by a recovery period. The recovery period is very important for that is where the body and mind integrate the burst of energy.

However after a recovery period I feel refreshed and relaxed and ready for the next burst of energy.

I take it though you do feel mentally and emotionally fried out after a period of high excitability. And you sound a bit worried by this.

Well yes.
I have always had a somewhat obsessive quality - I get superinvested in projects, especially creative or mental ones, and that spurs me on, but its like I get "supercharged" and go beyond my actual limits, I can think of nothing else and it always leaves me feeling burned out and both mentally and emotionally.

I dont mind being enthusiastic about a project but I so easily get too entusiastic and then my thinking goes in to highspeed typically resulting in hasty decisions, taking on too much, overextending myself, overly optimistic about how fast I will be able to work etc.

I am pretty sure I am an introvert though - any thoughts on what kind?

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Hi all,

agree with whoever said it depends on what kind of stimulus we're talking about. i can handle bundles and bundles of ideas, but not bundles and bundles of people. i mean i like having them around, but i really can't be interacting with them past a certain point. i just get really cranky. whereas my ESFJ mom can put up with people even when she's really exhausted, but doesn't really care to hear my crazy ass theories. lol.

and also, i think that certain people are just more energetic than others. i know a kind of hyper INTP and a more low-energy ENFJ, both of which would supposedly go against their type generalizations.

Okay, I think the type I am trying to pinpoint is someone who tends to get overly excited and invested in whatever project captures their interest and who experience a rush of energy from it, but its a mock kind of energy because it always leaves the person feeling feeling really "fried out" both emotionally and mentally?

I would think ExFP and ExFJ would cope better with excitability and not end up feeling fatigued afterwards? Or am I wrong?

again, depends on the kind of project, but i'd go with xxxP tends to jump in, overdo it, and accidentally fry ourselves. it's Ne and Se, which thrive off of in-the-moment action/connection, whereas Fe and Te give xxxJ more direction to their extraversion. Ne and Se never reach a point where it's better to stop, so it's easy to push ourselves overboard, imo. and then the "fried out" feeling comes from Fi or Ti desperately needing to catch up with Ne or Se. Js tend to be better at pacing themselves and working steadily and evenly.

energystar said:
Well yes.
I have always had a somewhat obsessive quality - I get superinvested in projects, especially creative or mental ones, and that spurs me on, but its like I get "supercharged" and go beyond my actual limits, I can think of nothing else and it always leaves me feeling burned out and both mentally and emotionally.

I dont mind being enthusiastic about a project but I so easily get too entusiastic and then my thinking goes in to highspeed typically resulting in hasty decisions, taking on too much, overextending myself, overly optimistic about how fast I will be able to work etc.

I am pretty sure I am an introvert though - any thoughts on what kind?

IxxP :)

Robopop

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
but i'd go with xxxP tends to jump in, overdo it, and accidentally fry ourselves.

This happened to me yesterday after I got almost no sleep the night before I had to finish my final exam project and spent over time at school rushing to finish it up at the last minute(which I did). After I was so sleepy(and still am).:yes:

Such Irony

Honor Thy Inferior
MBTI Type
INtp
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Hi all,

I think all types and functions are prone to this behavior. I think one can overdo their dominant function and its problematic when the auxilary is not developed enough to help balance out the dominant.

I'd associate burnout or "all or nothing" attitude largely with the inferior function.

I think extraverted types, particularly dominant Fe or Ne are going to appear more outwardly 'excitable' but I think all types are equally likely to overdo functions.

Thursday

Earth Exalted
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
apparent excitability will be most tangible amongst the Fe types

Fi types is an internal spring or river running underground
you won't notice through cheers and jeers, but through the little things

wildcat

MBTI Type
INTP

You are not wrong.
Excitability in the sense Victor described it is linked to primary non-activity, that is it is found within the contour of the primary IP domain. It is accentuated with high Fi. Many INTPs have high Fi. A correlation with Enneagram 4w5 or even 5w4. In some French psychology books it is linked to the Nervous type. Historical examples: Poe, Byron.

75 percent of the impulsive types are extraverted. The Nervous type is introverted. IFP.

Asterion

Ruler of the Stars
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
You are not wrong.
Excitability in the sense Victor described it is linked to primary non-activity, that is it is found within the contour of the primary IP domain. It is accentuated with high Fi. Many INTPs have high Fi. A correlation with Enneagram 4w5 or even 5w4. In some French psychology books it is linked to the Nervous type. Historical examples: Poe, Byron.

75 percent of the impulsive types are extraverted. The Nervous type is introverted. IFP.

where the scally-wag are you pulling this from???

Jeffster

veteran attention whore
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx
SP = most excitable
NF = most enthusable

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
You are not wrong.

Yes. Introversion is a retreat from external stimulation. A little goes a long way.

OP, also see thread on HSPs (Highly Sensitive Persons). This type is most strongly correlated to INFP, iirc.