• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

The Hipster

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
yeah those jeans are cute..not what i was picturing...let me see if i can find what i'm talking about.

kinda ilke this...but i've seen worse and these might even work on some people.

medium_skinny.jpg

colorfull.jpg

Mr. Sherlock Holmes

Consulting Detective
MBTI Type
JiNe
Enneagram
5W4
I have a rather unusual fashion sense I guess. I think I'm probably one of the only people in the world who thinks girls look more attractive in baggy t-shirts than a tank-top or dress or something. Most of the time anyway.

But pretentiousness aside, I like it when people have their own unique style, or at least an interesting style.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
yeah those jeans are cute..not what i was picturing...let me see if i can find what i'm talking about.

kinda ilke this...but i've seen worse and these might even work on some people.

medium_skinny.jpg

colorfull.jpg

I think they look good on girls but mostly look super dumb on boys, especially when they tuck their pant leg into their socks.

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Skinny jeans are rather mainstream nowadays. 10 years ago, not so much, but now most women under 25 own a pair, and most girls under 18 wear them almost exclusively. I don't mind them on a guy so long as they are not extreme and he has the body type for them. They suit my body and I'm still majorly burnt out on bootcut (which ruled my teen years), so I'm sticking with them for now. If the 70s wide leg comes back (which it threatens to from time to time; and I can see the current slouchy trouser trend leading to it), I might stock up on those. I like those also; you have to wear them long, so they really lengthen the leg :cheese:

You

MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
7w8
When is nudity coming back in style? Let's get back to that!

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
torrid-high-wasited-skinny-jeans.jpg

don't get me wrong, i think a lot of bigger chicks are gorgeous, but seriously. on a lot of people, skinny jeans just look like they HURT.

perfectgirl's right though, they are cute with boots

Automator

MBTI Type
intj
Is it really proper to call them skinny jeans when they're for fat people?

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
They really only look good on extremely petite as well as skinny girls. Not men (or should I say boys? :laugh:), and not anyone over about 100 lbs, usually. or anyone with any muscles in their legs. imo.

I'm not overweight but I have thick calves and thighs so skinny jeans not only look silly on me but are also uncomfortable. So it's annoying that they're so popular in the stores I tend to shop in. The "distressed" look, too - I thought that would die ages ago and it's still hanging on. gross.

V

violaine

I like skinny men in skinny jeans. It looks cute. Better than those baggy, shapeless things that he was prob wearing at age 14. Shorter, athletic guys look better in jeans other than skinny jeans. It's a shame when a man doesn't dress to his strengths, especially if he's good looking.

KDude

I like skinny men in skinny jeans. It looks cute. Better than those baggy, shapeless things that he was prob wearing at age 14. Shorter, athletic guys look better in jeans other than skinny jeans. It's a shame when a man doesn't dress to his strengths, especially if he's good looking.

I wear levi's 511s...eh, they're kind of skinny. They're kind of the same style of jeans I wore when I was 14 actually. Hipster skinny would be the 510 though (or whatever brand equivalent). I wouldn't wear those, but I might be able to pull that off (I probably shouldn't). I'm about 185 and 6'5", so I'm skinny myself.. What looks weird is when someone is shorter and has thick thighs.

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
:shrug: I think they look good on the appriopriate body type. Especially if they hold on the douchebag.

Adasta

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
I wear levi's 511s...eh, they're kind of skinny. They're kind of the same style of jeans I wore when I was 14 actually. Hipster skinny would be the 510 though (or whatever brand equivalent). I wouldn't wear those, but I might be able to pull that off (I probably shouldn't). I'm about 185 and 6'5", so I'm skinny myself.. What looks weird is when someone is shorter and has thick thighs.

I'm pretty similar myself. 510s are a joke and are for people who are trying too hard. 511, however, is a nice balance. I just resent it when jeans do not taper in from the quad (muscle) to the knee! That's why I usually go for "Slim" cut since "Classic" is just straight up-and-down.

As a point, I'm 6' and 12 1/2 stone, which is 175lbs in American.

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Are you guys saying you actually like this look, or are you picturing something different?

:sick: I really don't want to see every curve of male legs. They're usually not very shapely anyway. Long and stick-like, usually.

You're not thinking of regular straight cut jeans, maybe?

You

MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
7w8
Whatever happened to normal jeans? I don't worry myself about the whole hipster too much, but I'm still wondering where the mindstate of the culture spawned from. After a run through of this thread a lot of folks seem to point to some postmodern doctorines. I see that aesthetic. What I don't see the use. It seems the sterotype has these guys and girls as a barista, in bookstores, and artist. I know I come across there kind. They are cool people, but if they aren't artist I'm wondering what they're cutting out for the future.

I'm still trying to find out where this group of people are going, and what they are doing for all of us. What's their use? Punk had a mission statement. Afrobeat and Fela Kuti were looking to change. I have a friend of mine from high school who was a basketball player. His name was Jerry. He had a thing for music; he made underground hip hop beats. Over years of seeking through music, the culture coming along with it, he found his niche.

He became a hipster.

Guitar in tow, he now goes to the University of San Fransico, and has plans to put out an album with influences of Radiohead. Now, he isn't the only person I've seen out of the suburbs turn from their "urban" roots to this hipster lifestyle. There is this tattooist girl I knew from afar. Now that I've gotten the chance to get familiar with, I can see how she grew out of that adoloscent stage to the youthful alternative of hipster-dom. Truth be told, I've got a thing for the girl. All these hipster, artsy girls, with enough brains and ambition, aren't that bad to have around. They're quirky. I can appreciate that. I think...

839825_fall11.jpg

Random cute hipster.

I just don't know where this movement is taking all these Urban Outfitter loyal customers. What's the point?

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
i thought the point was sort of rejection and disdain of the norm, plus, in those who are slightly more enlightened, a desire to embrace individuality and noncomformity. so it doesn't really have to have a direction, besides "against".

i mean, how many TJ hipsters have you met? :thinking:

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I don't think of myself as a hipster, but I do have a beard, and some hipster-y beliefs. I actually really like history, especially of places outside the U.S, which kind of influences my view of things. I'm especially interested in the gap that exists between popular narratives and what might have actually happened. I think to an extent, history is written by the victors.

I'm not really into the elitism about music, but I think music is great. I do love meat, which automatically alienates me from a lot of hipster circles.

In terms of fashion, I like plaid and solid colors, and try to avoid sneakers unless I actually feel like doing exercise. I skew a little more towards the formal side in my workplace, if you can call wearing jeans formal. I don't dress to fit into a group, I just wear what I think looks good on me.

Other people might see me as a hipster, though.