• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

The Hipster

ZPowers

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
They are. They are pretentious but have a bizarre yen for Pabst Blue Ribbon in their most stereotypical form..

Oddly enough though, PBR is considered the best beer money can buy in China and sells for as much as $44 a bottle.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Oddly enough though, PBR is considered the best beer money can buy in China and sells for as much as $44 a bottle.

Reason #738 to stay out of China.

Bamboo

MBTI Type
XXFP
Haha pbr is pretty bad but i'm fond of the memories.

the can is nice at least. that is, it looks pretty. that is, that's probably why it's popular. and it's cheap. did i mention it's pretty and cheap?

ayoitsStepho

Twerking & Lurking
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
How in the world can you act and dress ironic? That doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me...
Goodness, the word "ironic" is starting to get just as annoying as the word "random". :doh:

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
How in the world can you act and dress ironic? That doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me...
Goodness, the word "ironic" is starting to get just as annoying as the word "random". :doh:

Dressing ironically means wearing a style in an almost mocking or humorous fashion, it's obvious that you aren't taking it seriously, like a grown man wearing a tee shirt that says Girl Scouts, or dressing 1950's Betty Crocker conservative and being a raging liberal feminist.

Something along those lines...

Tallulah

Emerging
MBTI Type
INTP
Dressing ironically means wearing a style in an almost mocking or humorous fashion, it's obvious that you aren't taking it seriously, like a grown man wearing a tee shirt that says Girl Scouts, or dressing 1950's Betty Crocker conservative and being a raging liberal feminist.

Something along those lines...

Yeah, or something deliberately kitschy that the wearer would never like in earnest, like those grandma Christmas sweaters, or a tee with the "hang in there!" kitty on it.

This sums it up:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ZJX10twD-8

G

Ginkgo

Wearing a shirt that says "Say no to drugs" while smoking weed.

Getting mauled by a shark and then tattooing an image of a shark over the scars.

Wearing a Pro Wrestling shirt that says "world's greatest dad", like how Michael from The Office sips from a "worlds greatest boss" mug.

Wearing a bracelet that reads "vote" with quotations as if to mock the process of voting.

Being morbidly obese, but preferring to date thin partners.

Etcetera..

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Yeah, or something deliberately kitschy that the wearer would never like in earnest, like those grandma Christmas sweaters, or a tee with the "hang in there!" kitty on it.

This sums it up:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ZJX10twD-8

Yeah, we did that crap in high school. I remember some of my friends thinking that things like ugly bowling shirts or old McDonald's uniforms and items of that nature were a total fashion score.

The trucker hat bullshit earlier in the decade was another example of that...people like Paris Hilton running around in a trucker hat, someone who I'm willing to bet has never seen the inside of a long-haul freight cab.

Personally, though, I will admit the idea of some of the stuff makes me giggle, like the grown man in a Girl Scout shirt, especially if he doesn't have any children. Maybe I'm easily amused.

Mr. Sherlock Holmes

Consulting Detective
MBTI Type
JiNe
Enneagram
5W4
Hipster = rejecting what is mainstream for that reason alone and loving what isnot mainstream for that reason alone. The first thing that comes to mind is Fe. They want to be part of a group, that is, the part of a group that isn't part of any group because this group of people are rebels and fly solo with their own uniqueness that each person in said group has equally.

Basically, it's another subclture where you conform to particular rules of nonconformity. It's a paradox, but it's the fact that they're hipsters that means they don't realise their contradiction.

ayoitsStepho

Twerking & Lurking
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Wow, dressing and acting ironic sounds really dumb. They sure put a lot of effort into things they apparently don't care about. But I suppose that's ironic too. This crap is confusing!

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
As someone who spent my adolescence in the 90's, I do understand it - at least the heightened sense of irony. I understand it on such a level that it just seems normal to me, almost, kind of what Lady X said (we're probably around the same age because I know she's friends with someone I went to high school with).

It had meaning at one point, at least I think it did. There was meaning to it when it hadn't really been done before and it WAS a statement about feminism to dress like a repressed woman from the 50's, and for straight men to wear skirts and eyeliner, and to mock corporations and organizations by mis-representing their logos and uniforms. There was initially a philosophical idea behind it, and I'm sure there still is for some people.

Also, it can be fun to say...go to an ugly grandma sweater Christmas party? I know someone who did that recently. I can see how that could be fun.

I've already mentioned the humor I see in some of it...but yeah, it's gotten out of hand, to where it's just pointless...and maybe the pointlessness of it IS the point, that it's nihilisitic, like nothing has inherent meaning.

However, some of it seems...cruel...to me. Like wealthy bitches mocking working class people by making trucker hats fashionable.

...anyway...

ZPowers

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Haha pbr is pretty bad but i'm fond of the memories.

the can is nice at least. that is, it looks pretty.

It is a nice looking can, but it always makes me laugh because they're still putting "Voted America's Best in 1893" * on it.

(*not participating in that vote: women, every black guy in the South)

EDIT: wooo 500th post

Tallulah

Emerging
MBTI Type
INTP
Yeah, we did that crap in high school. I remember some of my friends thinking that things like ugly bowling shirts or old McDonald's uniforms and items of that nature were a total fashion score.

The trucker hat bullshit earlier in the decade was another example of that...people like Paris Hilton running around in a trucker hat, someone who I'm willing to bet has never seen the inside of a long-haul freight cab.

Personally, though, I will admit the idea of some of the stuff makes me giggle, like the grown man in a Girl Scout shirt, especially if he doesn't have any children. Maybe I'm easily amused.

Yeah, I think I like it when someone individually does that kind of stuff, but with the hipster crowd, it most often comes off like this:

Hipster = rejecting what is mainstream for that reason alone and loving what isnot mainstream for that reason alone. The first thing that comes to mind is Fe. They want to be part of a group, that is, the part of a group that isn't part of any group because this group of people are rebels and fly solo with their own uniqueness that each person in said group has equally.

Basically, it's another subclture where you conform to particular rules of nonconformity. It's a paradox, but it's the fact that they're hipsters that means they don't realise their contradiction.

And, just UGH. If you're wearing a slightly longer version of Bieber hair and ironically ugly glasses while you wear a Christmas sweater? Congratulations for being a tool.

Mr. Sherlock Holmes

Consulting Detective
MBTI Type
JiNe
Enneagram
5W4
Yeah, I think I like it when someone individually does that kind of stuff, but with the hipster crowd, it most often comes off like this:

And, just UGH. If you're wearing a slightly longer version of Bieber hair and ironically ugly glasses while you wear a Christmas sweater? Congratulations for being a tool.

Eh? From what I've read, seen and heard, that's what it means today to be a hipster. They're the people who listen to bizzare, unpopular (with the mainstream) music (which is fine in itself) and then when they become more popular, they say they've sold out to the man and refuse to listen to them anymore, regardless of whether they think it still sounds good. If you're going by a different definition, fine, but that's what I've learned them to be. Subcultures always tend to have dynamic and shifting definitions anyway. And FWIW, I am wearing a t-shirt and track pants, and my hair does is slightly curly, about 2 inches long and unstyled.

ZPowers

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4

Among my favorite examples of this: People who spend God knows how long painstakingly managing their hair to look like they don't even bother with it.

So many things about that thought process confuse me, more than most "conform to nonconformity" rules.

Tallulah

Emerging
MBTI Type
INTP
Oh, sorry. I totally misinterpreted that. It looked like the Ugh! was in response to my definition, and that you were reffering to me.

Sorry 'bout that. I can see how it'd be confusing. However, it's 3am, and I'm too lazy to fix the setup. :shrug:

CzeCze

RETIRED
MBTI Type
GONE
Oooh, my favorite pet topic! The term "hipster" has gotten totally warped to be almost meaningless now. It is both an insult and something people aspire to be. My friends with more of a social analytical bent say that hipsters enjoy the irony of poverty as an aesthetic on a big budget. Like ordering Pabst Blue Ribbon and looking like a starving artist while riding around town on a $3,000 Italian city bike.

It's like the term "geek". Geek chic by the way is also an element of hiptser culture. Ooh, or the term "punk". It meant something once but has basically blown up so much in the public consciousness and the public eye to be come mass-produced, acknowledged commercially, and mass imitated to the point where it is just a look to try on for the tweens and Millenials. Now it basically means shopping at Urban Outfitters. :alttongue: Also, look at what happened to the website 'nerve.com' once a bastion for hipster dating.

Personally, I have always maintained that it takes *work* and an aesthetic eye to be a hipster. Wearing a keffiyah (or "keffiyah inspired" scarf) doesn't cut it.

This is just my own ridiculousness, but I get annoyed when people throw the term "hipster" to basically anyone under 30 who rides a bike. The term has become totally bastardized into meaninglessness in some parts of the country or some scenes.

Like any scene, there are specific aesthetics and proclivities that you have to maintain and meet to qualify as a hipster. Hipster aesthetic has chutzpah in my opinion and a sense of daring and originality in arts/entertainment that I appreciate. Purely on aesthetic grounds, I'm insulted for hipsters when I see large segments of totally unstylish, not even trying, boringly dressed people described as a "hipster".

This is my own ridiculous rant. It has merit though. :p