• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

The Hipster

You

MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
7w8
Because I like ostracizing myself.

Tallulah

Emerging
MBTI Type
INTP
I don't know, but I do know that I have seen enough skinny jeans, flannel shirts and Buddy Holly glasses lately to last me several lifetimes.

G

Ginkgo

The embodiment of postmodernism. They reject any sort of idea simply on the grounds that it is an idea. How anyone could call themselves progressive and yet condemn themselves to such a state of regression is beyond me.

You

MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
7w8
I don't know, but I do know that I have seen enough skinny jeans, flannel shirts and Buddy Holly glasses lately to last me several lifetimes.

Chap shirts
Straight/Baggy levis
Buddy Holly glasses

Have I killed you yet?

Magic Poriferan

^He pronks, too!
MBTI Type
Yin
Enneagram
One
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
The embodiment of postmodernism. They reject any sort of idea simply on the grounds that it is an idea. How anyone could call themselves progressive and yet condemn themselves to such a state of regression is beyond me.

YES! You are like Linus figuring out the meaning of Christmas.

They are the first, and I pray last, subculture that is purely post-modern. And what a horrible, horrible thing that is.

the state i am in

MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I would say your usual hipster is either an INFP or an ISFP. Most definitely not an NT. They pay too much attention to fashion. There's a lot of Se involved so I would say the stereotypical Hipster is ISFP or ESFP more than INFP.

yeah this kind of like bohemian fundamentalism.

infps and infjs in particular seem really interested in exploring alternative lifestyles bc they don't fit in very easily by default in all but the most fortunate of circumstances. and hipster culture usually involves cultural innovations from geeky N types which then lose their luster when the american apparels and urban outfitters trickle down all the way to stinktown, nebraska.

there's also a basic growth in urban 20something disaffection, confusion, etc. participating in those markets, growing up there, spending significant time during college there, this kind of chaos gets into you and you have to deal with all these consuming questions that give you more freedom than you can possibly imagine choice-wise but which forces upon you difficult choices which require you to say no to huge portions of the world, your immense possibilities, the way your life can go, etc. the culture market in those places reflects this diversity and frustration. but it still follows the logic of the market, especially when innovations get picked up as trends and the signs of success, the freshness of various identities, etc get their shit published and move up the ladder for their 15.

in most cases, it's just another great social space for professional networkers to get kicks and coke problems.

i see a lot of esfp females and the explosively crazy/angry/mercurial istp 7w8 drama queen. some isfps, of course, an exorbitant number of 3w4s (estp, enfj, entp), some distant e5 culture geeks, enfps who kinda culturally slut it up so to speak, and some honest to goodness e4s who are searching for a space against which they can most effectively define themselves. in my shitty market there's not really enough $$$ (financial incentive, loosely defined) overlap for any entjs to take interest.

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
enfps who kinda culturally slut it up so to speak

HAHA yeah we do that. i could see being hipster for like a week, just to try it out.

oh but to actually add to the conversation, i know a pseudo-hipster ISFP, and besides her type it seems like INFJs and INFPs, maybe a few ISFJs too. the scene is definitely dominated by introverts on the whole. and the occasional ESFP.

Mr. Sherlock Holmes

Consulting Detective
MBTI Type
JiNe
Enneagram
5W4
I don't know what a hipster is exactly. I thought it was a sort of counterculture thing, you know with 'Stickinittotheman' and such, a rebel, where you do anything to go against mainstream culture regardless of it's value if you look at it objectively.

If that's what it means, then I'm pretty sure Stephen Hyde from that 70's show was a hipster, and I think he was ISTP. But maybe that's not what it means at all.

Mr. Sherlock Holmes

Consulting Detective
MBTI Type
JiNe
Enneagram
5W4
INTPs are hip like Daria and Bones. Which is to say, some will make everyone feel stupid.

"Hipsters are the friends who sneer when you cop to liking Coldplay. They're the people who wear t-shirts silk-screened with quotes from movies you've never heard of and the only ones in America who still think Pabst Blue Ribbon is a good beer. They sport cowboy hats and berets and think Kanye West stole their sunglasses. Everything about them is exactingly constructed to give off the vibe that they just don't care." - Wikipedia

Once again, going on my previous idea of what hipsters are, I don't think Daria is really a hipster. She's cynical and misanthropic, but she doesn't seem to be the sort who just goes against things for the sake of it. She's too rational. She sees things and thinks "That makes no sense. It should be this way, which is more sensible and less superficial." I like Daria. I think she's what the hipster idea probably started out as and then got lost in proving their point.

BTW is Bones an INTP? I always thought she was a J.

Beorn

Permabanned
There's quite a few different species within hipsterdom and certain personality types might match up better with one species than with another.

For example:

Th Expat
34329_128462563860293_112719812101235_147446_7325438_n.jpg

The Flower Child
34106_128198290553387_112719812101235_146477_538474_n.jpg

The Yuppie
34106_128198293886720_112719812101235_146478_6235266_n.jpg

The Activist
34329_128462567193626_112719812101235_147447_583746_n.jpg

The Artist
36689_127398397300043_112719812101235_143382_5450739_n.jpg

There a few other species out there as well.

Southern Kross

Away with the fairies
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
There is one INFJ girl I went to college with who will explain to you the difference between "indie" & "hipster" in the way a nerd/geek will explain the difference between a "nerd" and a "geek" :D. I've known a few other hipster-ish people (NTPs & SPs & a few NFJs), but none really fit the stereotypes you usually hear, outside of an elitist attitude about indie music, fashion, art, etc. I think what the term usually refers to now is pretty "mainstream". It's kind of how "goth" is now a kid who shops at Hot Topic....

This INFP is too earnest (& suburban, & mainstream, etc...) to be a hipster - for one, it requires doing stuff to be "ironic", and I do/like stuff out of sincere interest. MBTI enthusiasts like to blame counter culture on IxFPs though - we're emo, goth, hippies, and hipsters now too apparantly :p
So true. We always get the labels :rolli:

I really love aspects of the hipster culture (clothing, music etc) but dislike the whole wanky attitude. I don't really care about what is deemed to be cool enough to conform to a certain set of approved behaviours; I just can't be bothered and generally resent being told what to think or what bands I should like.

I'm sure there are hipster INFPs but I don't think we naturally fit the stereotype well. INFPs struggle to completely fit in with any scene because we're not great at hiding our unconventional and uncool interests.

Last edited:

ZPowers

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
beefeater, part of me feels those are a little too broad to be strictly hipster. They have a common theme of being sort of creative (genuinely or articifically), liberal (with varying degrees of passion, knowledge and authenticity) and more drawn to the counter-culture or less-than-mainstream (to me, this is almost a matter of just having decent taste, not being a hipster. After all, Jersey Shore and Katy Perry are technically popular right now). These terms apply to hipsters, but I feel like there's also a certain attitude with hipsters that may not exist in all those people. I knew a few very serious hipsters in college (read: last 4 years) and found that hipsterism also involves an attitude of precieved arrogance (the 'ironic' sorts of stuff, quetly judging what others do/think from afar not because those thoughts/actions have negative effects, but just because they can) and a sort of very strict basis for what is and isn't 'hip' that is supposedto feel sort of unique and spirited, but generally is derived from semi-popular sites telling them what's good (Pitchfork, for example, is a site that fulfills this role). They create very distinctive looks for themselves, usually intended to look thrown together, but usually created after arduous consideration.

Hipsters are sort of mean-spirited and sometimes strike me as insecure, formign their opinions around their friends to ensure their own popularity in the group. I feel like they must've tried to be the popular kid when they were little and failed, so they used hipsterdom as a sort of bitter, angry back-up spot. Like a lot of counter-culture groups before them, while a few may be genuine, a lot are just following the lead so they can seem 'cool'.

The way that my most hipster friends were so concerned with details and keeping up obsessively with the newest and most obscure things (some would act santimonious about introducing a good band to you, like they were more pure than you because of it) and their obsession with their looks and attitudes being just so makes me think they seemed to usually be S, their worry for the opinions of others makes me think F, and their adherence to this sub-system of laws and mores seems a bit J, though I knew a few very hipster Ps.

So, mostly xSFJ (sometimes xSFP).

ZPowers

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
I really love aspects of the hipster culture (clothing, music etc) but dislike the whole wanky attitude. I don't really care about what is deemed to be cool enough to conform to a certain set of approved behaviours; I just can't be bothered and generally resent being told what to think or what bands I should like.

Seconded. As I mentioned before, I tend to loathe current popular music (usually incredibly grating pop or hip hop about sex and sweat dripping down balls (both of these genres have some great musicians, I just don't like a lot of their hits)), TV (Jersey Shore's premiere got something like 4 times the viewership of Mad Men, and I can't watch pretty much any reality TV) and movies (Twilight and Transformers do gangbusters at the box office) and think that certain traditionally indie music, TV and films are a lot better. I'm also pretty liberal. But that attitude hipsters often have is like venom.

Kurt.Is.God

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4W5
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I'm late.
Does anyone feel ENxP?
I found out about the hipster phenomenon about a year ago (American culture takes time to get around to Taiwan), and what surprised me was that my ENTP friend and I (him especially) had fairly "hipster" characteristics--he was extremely elitist about experimental electronica and wore an ACDC shirt in jest, I loved Neutral Milk Hotel and wore a tee with "Abercrombie and Fitch" written in chalk, and we both used hip-hop slang satirically. At the time, my goal in life was to buy a Vespa and travel behind Kerouac's ghost. He was trying to grow a soul patch.
When I found out there was a whole subculture centered around these sorts of values, irony, etc, my first thought was perhaps it was a spontaneous movement of all the ENPs around the nation and then some. While these days it actually seems to be mostly made up of metrosexual ESFPs and Pitchfork pop, I feel like its roots in irony, experimental music, and irreverence are all very Ne, especially Ne with Ti.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'm late.
Does anyone feel ENxP?
I found out about the hipster phenomenon about a year ago (American culture takes time to get around to Taiwan), and what surprised me was that my ENTP friend and I (him especially) had fairly "hipster" characteristics--he was extremely elitist about experimental electronica and wore an ACDC shirt in jest, I loved Neutral Milk Hotel and wore a tee with "Abercrombie and Fitch" written in chalk, and we both used hip-hop slang satirically. At the time, my goal in life was to buy a Vespa and travel behind Kerouac's ghost. He was trying to grow a soul patch.
When I found out there was a whole subculture centered around these sorts of values, irony, etc, my first thought was perhaps it was a spontaneous movement of all the ENPs around the nation and then some. While these days it actually seems to be mostly made up of metrosexual ESFPs and Pitchfork pop, I feel like its roots in irony, experimental music, and irreverence are all very Ne, especially Ne with Ti.

haha...yes i know what you mean. i don't care what that label is or how people perceive it. i may be that way and a lot of my friends are...things like that are just funny so whatever i don't care i like me. :laugh:

Snuggletron

Reptilian
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
I know an INFP and some of his friends who could classify. But they would be more towards hippies, in that deadbeat hungover work at walmart because their grand roadtrip across the states failed miserably due to lack of forethought and planning way. I don't know, it's annoying.

that term annoys the f@ck outta me.

hipster detected.

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=meT2eqgDjiM"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=meT2eqgDjiM[/YOUTUBE]

stalemate

Post-Humorously
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
He was trying to grow a soul patch.
This made me laugh. Trying to? How long could you possibly have to try? You give it a couple days and you either have one or you don't? lol. Sounds like his life's work was trying to grow a soul patch. hahaha

Quinlan

Intriguing....
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9w1
*bursts through the door*

"I've done it, I've done it! I've finally grown my soul patch!"

"That's just some dryer lint you've glued to your chin..."

:(

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
we both used hip-hop slang satirically

that is so freaking annoying. lol

and anytime people say/do/wear things "ironically".... :sick: At least you can weed people out pretty easily this way. :cheese:

Arthur Schopenhauer

What is, is.
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
I need a better definition of "hipsters." I honestly am having a large amount of trouble with categorizing these people in my mind... They are like... a nebulous, vacuous conglomerate of antiquated fashion and various popular mainstream icons...

They are like... A variant of emos?