• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

The Hipster

You

MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
7w8
from-hipster-to-hippie-18898-1273071140-1.jpg

Is the sterotypical hipster a NT or an NF?

Seems like an INFP culture to me.

Beorn

Permabanned
Lol. That diagram is great.

I posted this hipster timeline on vent the other night:
hipster timeline

Is the sterotypical hipster a NT or an NF?

Seems like an INFP culture to me.

Idk.

I know I've never felt like I fit in amongst my hipster friends. I only occasionally hang out with them... like at a local concert.

Sometimes I'll get into conversations about religion and politics. We agree on some stuff, but then they'll say something that I think is totally irrational and I'll tell them so and then they'll just look at me blankly and then change the subject.

If I did the same thing to an NT friend that's an engineer or a lawyer they would just answer back my criticism and keep the conversation going.

I think they tend to be NFs and not NTs.

Stevo

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
I would say your usual hipster is either an INFP or an ISFP. Most definitely not an NT. They pay too much attention to fashion. There's a lot of Se involved so I would say the stereotypical Hipster is ISFP or ESFP more than INFP.

You

MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
7w8
Where do you see Se?

citizen cane

ornery ornithologist
MBTI Type
BIRD
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp
i think it really depends on the person and the precise nature of the subculture being considered "hipster". what one person might consider hipster another might consider hippie, or vice versa, and yet another person might have a different definition of both hipster AND hippie. add in people that add some punk and/or emo to the hipster, and you can see how this question can be answered differently depending on the respondent.

KDude

Where do you see Se?

Se is environmental in more ways than one.

ESPs however tend to unconsciously gather what's more popular or funny in an majority/group way rather than fringe. It's just one element out of many on why they tend to be popular. They can hit a certain note that's cool, but not go too far with it (it's introverts who tend to not give a shit on displeasing a wider audience). ISFPs aren't trendy, but possibly trendsetting or creative or...possibly just too different to be seen as hip or start a trend. It's hit and miss.

I don't think they're necessarily aloof or pompous hipsters though. Like, people who wear ironic mustaches or something. That could be any type.. trying too hard.

You

MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
7w8
INTP don't seem to like the hipster.

KDude

INTPs are hip like Daria and Bones. Which is to say, some will make everyone feel stupid.

One Day

MBTI Type
INfP
Enneagram
5w4
Hipsters are too rigid and judgmental over trivial things but I guess that's to be expected with every "counter-cultural" trend. I could care less on other people's fashion sense or taste in music.

F

figsfiggyfigs

ALL the ones I knew, maybe except for 2 NT's were ALL SF's.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
that term annoys the f@ck outta me.

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
There is one INFJ girl I went to college with who will explain to you the difference between "indie" & "hipster" in the way a nerd/geek will explain the difference between a "nerd" and a "geek" :D. I've known a few other hipster-ish people (NTPs & SPs & a few NFJs), but none really fit the stereotypes you usually hear, outside of an elitist attitude about indie music, fashion, art, etc. I think what the term usually refers to now is pretty "mainstream". It's kind of how "goth" is now a kid who shops at Hot Topic....

This INFP is too earnest (& suburban, & mainstream, etc...) to be a hipster - for one, it requires doing stuff to be "ironic", and I do/like stuff out of sincere interest. MBTI enthusiasts like to blame counter culture on IxFPs though - we're emo, goth, hippies, and hipsters now too apparantly :p

redacted

Why were NF and NT the only two choices in the OP?

I tend to label a disproportionate amount of hipsters as ISFx, but that may just be bias.