• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Functions and MBTI types getting along

alcea rosea

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
I was just thinking about how I naturally seem to like some personality types more than others. My strongest functions are definitely Ne, Fi, Fe and Ni. It seems that I get along best with people who have one of the mentioned functions as their dominant or auxiliary function. I do seem to understand somehow naturally also dominant Se people because of my long experience with one of them. ;).

So I put MBTI types in order regarding how much similar functions we have or how well we seem to connect.

ENFP: NeFiTeSi NiFeTiSe
ENTP: NeTiFeSi NiTeFiSe

INFP: FiNeSiTe FeNiSeTi
ENFJ: FeNiSeTi FiNeSiTe
INFJ: NiFeTiSe NeFiTeSi

ISFP: FiSeNiTe FeSiNeTi
ESFJ: FeSiNeTi FiSeNiTe

ISFJ: SiFeTiNe SeFiTeNi
ESFP: SeFiTeNi SiFeTiNe
ENTJ: TeNiSeFi TiNeSiFe

INTP: TiNeFeSi TeNiSeFi
INTJ: NiTeFiSe NeTiFeSi

ESTP: SeTiFeNi SiTeFiNe
ISTP: TiSeNiFe TeSiNeFi

ISTJ: SiTeFiNe SeTiFeNi
ESTJ: TeSiNeFi TiSeNiFe

Any comments/thoughts?

Wandering

Highly Hollow
MBTI Type
INFJ

Any comments/thoughts?
There are a few of us I/ENFJs on INFPgc. Let's just say that the dynamics can get very... interesting at times :devil:

alcea rosea

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
There are a few of us I/ENFJs on INFPgc. Let's just say that the dynamics can get very... interesting at times :devil:

Maybe lots of NF's in a group can be trouble :devil: (did you mean that?) but one to one it usually works. :yes:

Gabe

MBTI Type
ENTP
I was just thinking about how I naturally seem to like some personality types more than others. My strongest functions are definitely Ne, Fi, Fe and Ni. It seems that I get along best with people who have one of the mentioned functions as their dominant or auxiliary function. I do seem to understand somehow naturally also dominant Se people because of my long experience with one of them. ;).

So I put MBTI types in order regarding how much similar functions we have or how well we seem to connect.

ENFP: NeFiTeSi NiFeTiSe
ENTP: NeTiFeSi NiTeFiSe

ISFP: FiSeNiTe FeSiNeTi
ESFJ: FeSiNeTi FiSeNiTe

ISFJ: SiFeTiNe SeFiTeNi
ESFP: SeFiTeNi SiFeTiNe
ENTJ: TeNiSeFi TiNeSiFe

INTJ: NiTeFiSe NeTiFeSi

ESTP: SeTiFeNi SiTeFiNe
ISTP: TiSeNiFe TeSiNeFi

ISTJ: SiTeFiNe SeTiFeNi
ESTJ: TeSiNeFi TiSeNiFe

Any comments/thoughts?

In experience, I find the model of type and agreement to work, I dunno, half the time. On the other hand, one of my favorite teachers was an ISTJ, and I was friends in high school with an _STP. For me, I like to say :whistling: La dee da, that part of the theory doesn't work a lot of the time.

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I find matching interaction styles is more relevant than functions for me. I get along very well with other "chart-the course" people and tend to clash (typically) with "in-charge" people, while having the least in common with "behind-the-scenes" people.

alcea rosea

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
In experience, I find the model of type and agreement to work, I dunno, half the time. On the other hand, one of my favorite teachers was an ISTJ, and I was friends in high school with an _STP. For me, I like to say :whistling: La dee da, that part of the theory doesn't work a lot of the time.

Your right. Me too. Just wondered it that "theory" could work! :D

Mort Belfry

Rats off to ya!
MBTI Type
INTP

You're going to hate me for this. I know what I'm about to say is not needed, but I can't help myself.

Isn't it Ti, Ne, Si, Fe?

There, I said it. I'm sorry. I've ruined this thread for everyone.

I'll get me coat.

alcea rosea

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
You're going to hate me for this. I know what I'm about to say is not needed, but I can't help myself.

Isn't it Ti, Ne, Si, Fe?

I'll get me coat.

I don't hate anybody for noticing mistakes that I make ;).
I'm only human and not perfect in any way. :yes:

tovlo

MBTI Type
INFJ

I know you've spoken of that being your experience, and I admit I've had some frustrations at times as well, but my personal experience of INFP's is exceptionally positive.

I think in recollecting my past friendships I am most drawn to other INFJ's, INFP's, ENFP's, and the occasional INTP. I've found some superficial enjoyment in the company of those I've guessed to be ISFJ's, ISFP's, and a possible ESFP. I generally manage to find common ground with most anyone, but this seems to cover where I'm most drawn in relationships.

My strongest functions are Ni, Ne, Fi, and Fe. That seems to be reflected in those I find the most enjoyable relations with. I suppose the next tier would be those I share some form of feeling judgement with even if lacking the N component. They tend to warm my heart with their caring for others.

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
Not sure I'd concurr with the whole "getting along" idea. I have two best mates, one is an ENFP and the other is an ENFJ. Go figure.

The INTJ I know I wouldn't say I get on with all that well, he's too competitive and argumentative for that to work, though I could see him clicking with an ENTP.

I do tend to click with the thinking of NTs but in practice I've found that it's the NFs who I tend to get on with better as I just can't be bothered to try and keep an NTs mind focused on whatever it is we are doing. I just let them wander off and back again.

JustDave

MBTI Type
xNTP
At this point I am some sort of NF (long story ...) and hate the ESJs. IMO, they are too domineering and have very little creativity, and empathy.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Isn't it Ti, Ne, Si, Fe?
I'll get me coat.

Bye.

But at least you were right! :) -- it's TiNeSiFe

anii

homo-loving sonovagun
MBTI Type
infp
Enneagram
I dunno, I looked at the types of the people I get along with and there does not seem to be a pattern. Randomly . . .

- My best and oldest friend is an ESTJ. We met in college in 1983 in a religious organization. It might’ve been one of those ‘complements attract’ situations. We’ve both somehow managed to move beyond that early cultural conditioning and stay connected over the years, despite our different types. I think it must say something about the power of shared history. We’ve both lost our parents now, both of our personal lives are in flux, we finally live in the same general region (after 16 years cross-country), and so we are not going to let each other out of our sights after all that.
- I don’t think I’ve ever had an INFP friend. At least outside of work or online. The two friendships with INFPs I got to know online that I met IRL have both sort of fizzled. We tried to start a local meetup, but IRL it’s just like sorting cats. It was difficult to pin down a regular meeting time, or even topic. And nobody was take-charge enough to make it happen. My theory is that we are so self-contained and un-intrusive that we need Extraverts to open us up. I will qualify this by saying that I tend to get along well with coworkers who are INFP. NFs are well-represented in social services in general, and we seem drawn to each other in the workplace.
- The INFPs I work with, once we’ve seen each other display a little whimsy (and it doesn’t take much to let that out if one is feeling comfortable) can for example enter the copy room from different doorways, focus almost completely on our separate projects, and simultaneously enjoy a random imaginative exchange, and then exit with no beginning/end formalities.
- I used to think my sister-in-law is INFP but now I think she’s ENFP. She and I get along great.
- I have 3 good IRL friends who are INFJ, and a newish online friend who is INFJ. I met my husband online and he’s INFJ. I like their structure, they like (to a certain extent) my spontaneity.
- I tend to not feel too comfortable around Ts, especially TJs. I feel like I’m walking on eggshells around my ISTJ brother and like I’m way too enthusiastic around an ISTJ ‘friend’ I have to see socially because our other friend wants to hang around with both of us. Our other friend is like the Jerry of the group; I won’t say who I think the George and Elaine are of the group.
- I can have a great time socializing with EXFJs and EXFPs. But I need to take it in measured doses.
- I’ve had a couple of great ISFJ work buddies and they were both friendly, with good work ethics, and an affinity and ability to exchange vast amounts of trivial pop culture references.

Overall, I tend to get along best with open and respectful people of any type.

marm

MBTI Type
INFP
I get along with many types, but I have become more picky as I've aged. I prefer Intuition and Feeling in my close friends, and I've connected well with INFJs in particular. When I was younger, I had some friends with Sensation and I got along just fine, but we have since grown apart. I get along fine with my mom(ISTJ), my sister-in-law(maybe ESFJ), and an ex-girlfriend that I'm still friends with(maybe ESFP).

How someone has all of their functions developed is as or more important as simply looking at the top two. I get along with my mom, for instance, becasue she has well developed tertiary Fi. I don't get along equally with all INFPs. I like best INFPs who have highly developed their Ne and have some development of Thinking. I probably like INFJs because they have Thinking as a tertiary.

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
It seems like you're saying that you get along with EN_P's best and _STJ's worst. Correct?

Did you put them in order of similar functions you had or how well you seemed to connect? It had to be one or the other, not both.

Anyway, I seem to have conflicts with other NF's over time, although we seem to get along in general. I would say the types I seem to get along best with would be the two INTx's for some reason, as well as other INFJ's.

I also know several people of other types, some of whom I get along with, and others who I don't get along with.

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I think in recollecting my past friendships I am most drawn to other INFJ's, INFP's, ENFP's, and the occasional INTP. I've found some superficial enjoyment in the company of those I've guessed to be ISFJ's, ISFP's, and a possible ESFP. I generally manage to find common ground with most anyone, but this seems to cover where I'm most drawn in relationships.

My strongest functions are Ni, Ne, Fi, and Fe. That seems to be reflected in those I find the most enjoyable relations with. I suppose the next tier would be those I share some form of feeling judgement with even if lacking the N component. They tend to warm my heart with their caring for others.

I can relate to all of this!! (with the exception of my not thinking I've ever known/been really close to any xSFP's for sure).

I have also known three ENTJ's - two females and one male. I have had really good conversations with all, and was good friends with one in college (over time we've lost touch, for the most part). So on an intellectual level I really get along with them, and they're quite a lot of fun. But beyond that and it gets a little....dicey, I'll say. ;) They're the only type I've ever had huge blowups/breakups/misunderstandings with, as we seem to approach EVERYthing quite differently (actually..I'm thinking it's because Te is my weakest function and Te is ENTJ's strongest function). But oh well..there are other people I know where there is less potential for butting heads, so I'll just focus on those people! :)

Wandering

Highly Hollow
MBTI Type
INFJ
I know you've spoken of that being your experience, and I admit I've had some frustrations at times as well, but my personal experience of INFP's is exceptionally positive.
I said "interesting" and "at times", not "horribly confrontational all the time" :tongue: And the very fact that there *are* so many NFJs on INFPgc is a testament in itself that NFJs and INFPs do naturally get along pretty well, don't you think ;) ?

"?"

MBTI Type
TiSe
I find matching interaction styles is more relevant than functions for me. I get along very well with other "chart-the course" people and tend to clash (typically) with "in-charge" people, while having the least in common with "behind-the-scenes" people.
Random, Daddy is so proud of you.... You get it!!

"?"

MBTI Type
TiSe
Daddy's just so proud of you Random. You get it!! I would like to discuss your thoughts at some point, as to how you make the determination. It would seem that the control of "In Charge" types may be an anithema for you. Wondering out loud if the weak S/N gives you more of an INTP flavor?

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Daddy's just so proud of you Random. You get it!! I would like to discuss your thoughts at some point, as to how you make the determination. It would seem that the control of "In Charge" types may be an anithema for you. Wondering out loud if the weak S/N gives you more of an INTP flavor?
Which determination in particular are you referring to?

Yes, that's typically what causes conflicts, them ordering me around (legitimately or illegitimately) and me bristling at it. Or disagreeing on the best way to do things (compromise is hard for me if I think my way is better, though I'm always willing to listen to an argument for a different way).

I don't know, I find myself having little in common with INTPs (and other behind-the-scene types as well, in general) and a lot in common with INTJs actually...to the point where I've toyed with the idea that I'm really a mistyped INTJ...what makes things odd for me is that I have more talent in Ne, or Ni for that matter, but much prefer using Se...so I don't know what that says.