• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Theoretical, Philosophical & Functions

alcea rosea

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Could it be that being theoretical and/or being philosophical could be correlated with some functions in MBTI?

Example, me. I'm theoretical but not very philosophical.
I'm ENFP and Ne is strongest but Ti quite weak.
Could it be that Ne is related to being theoretical but Ti to philosophical?

What about Ni and Te?

Has Fe or Fi got nothing to do with the issue?
How about Se & Si?

arcticangel02

To the top of the world
MBTI Type
eNFP
My first thought was that philosophy would be the realm of NFs wheras theory would be more to do with NTs.

Then I realised I didn't really know the difference between them.

So:

Theory being "a coherent group of general propositions used as principles of explanation for a class of phenomena",

and,

Philosophy being "the rational investigation of the truths and principles of being, knowledge, or conduct".

Theory is then statements that describe something generally observed, wheras philosophy is an investigation into the truth of something? So does then Philosophy produce Theories?

If I haven't got it entirely wrong, it would seem like Ne would be quite involved in Philosophy (chasing and investigating ideas), wheras perhaps Theory is more the realm of Ni?

I don't think Fe/Fi becomes involved until it moves into a realm like Moral Philosophy, or something. Te/Ti on the other hand would probably just strengthen and aid that Ni/Ne.

And that is my totally uninformed and largely subjective opinion! :devil:

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
I've used both, but I think I'm more comfortable with theory... so I think you're right. I'm guessing that N is theoretical, and T is philosophical.

tovlo

MBTI Type
INFJ
Theory being "a coherent group of general propositions used as principles of explanation for a class of phenomena",

and,

Philosophy being "the rational investigation of the truths and principles of being, knowledge, or conduct".

Like athenian, I would say that I could engage in both, but I have a strong preference for the engagement of theory over philosophy based on these definitions. I have a skepticism related to the limits of rational investigation and the existence of truth, so engagement in philosophy for me would probably just be a tool I'd use in my pursuit of theory.

Oh, and I'm likely INFJ (Ni, Fe, Ti, Se)

nightning

ish red no longer *sad*
MBTI Type
INfj
I've used both, but I think I'm more comfortable with theory... so I think you're right. I'm guessing that N is theoretical, and T is philosophical.

I agree with that assessment. Difference between Ne/Ni and Ti/Te lies in the approach to the thinking and what aspect of the theory you're interested in.

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Could it be that being theoretical and/or being philosophical could be correlated with some functions in MBTI?

Example, me. I'm theoretical but not very philosophical.
I'm ENFP and Ne is strongest but Ti quite weak.
Could it be that Ne is related to being theoretical but Ti to philosophical?

What about Ni and Te?

Has Fe or Fi got nothing to do with the issue?
How about Se & Si?

I am fairly theoretical (as described by aa, if I'm interpreting it right) but not philosophical.

I am high Ti and pretty low Ne. So no correlation there.

I could see theory being related to Ni...that function seems to be fairly strong in me (maybe more than Se, even).

Also it looks like everyone so far prefers theory, so maybe it's not type-related and theory is just better :devil:

alcea rosea

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
I am quite theoretical (as described below) but not philosophical.

I am high Ti and pretty low Ne. So no correlation there.

I could see theory being related to Ni...that function seems to be fairly strong in me (maybe more than Se, even).

You might be right. Maybe it's combination of Ti/Te & Ni/Ne that makes people theoretical / philosophical? Could some of those functions be more theoretical / philosophical than others in right combination. (Now my new "theory" gets complicated :thinking:.)

Which personality types would be most philosophical?
(Could it be that there is F involved in philosophical "trait"?)

Which personality types would be most theoretical?

"?"

MBTI Type
TiSe
My first thought was that philosophy would be the realm of NFs wheras theory would be more to do with NTs.

Then I realised I didn't really know the difference between them.

So:

and,

I agree. Keep in mind that everyone has a philosophy which in laymans terms means "A way of life". But in looking at the denotations of the words
phil·o·soph·i·cal (fĭl'ə-sŏf'ĭ-kəl) Pronunciation Key
adj.

1. Of, relating to, or based on a system of philosophy.
2. Characteristic of a philosopher, as in equanimity, enlightenment, and wisdom.
the·o·ret·i·cal (thē'ə-rět'ĭ-kəl) Pronunciation Key
adj.

1. Of, relating to, or based on theory.
2. Restricted to theory; not practical: theoretical physics.
3. Given to theorizing; speculative.
NT will be more theoretical and speculative NF will be more philosophical. Yet, I think any temperament that utilizes one or the other as their second preference can equally do both. The only problem is that without some pragmatism or practicality thrown in from SJ or SP, this person would truly have their heads in the clouds.

alicia91

Interesting. :)

I am interested in the theoretical but definately not the philosophical.

Could it be that there is F involved in philosophical "trait"?

Great question!

redacted

i love theory and philosophy. i may be more drawn to philosophy even.

i have strong Ni Fe and Ti.

seems like Ni is pretty philosophical, no?