• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What Percentage of Speech Involves A Cognitive Function?

What Percentage of Communicating Uses Function

• Total voters

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
So, I got to wondering, how much speech or written words co we express that illustrate the actual use of a function or multiple functions.

Last edited:

Moonstone3

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
9, 5
I think you can tell SO much about a person by their words, how they are placed, which words are used, how frequently, and what words they avoid. Also, you can pick up on inconsistencies in their usage.(pronouns changing after the 5th time used-therein lies a lie) I've studied this for a few long intense years, with great appreciation. I feel confident to predict a type by communication style. If a person is hiding something, and say they are only showing one side of themselves, usually to me, it's very apparent, and I can also see what they are leaving out, as well as what's being thrown in. Words are a map to the thoughts. I say 100.

G

garbage

Motivation and ideas probably involve more underlying processes.

One's database of words, of course, isn't populated solely by cognitive functions. There's no function explicitly for "street slang" or "Spanish."

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I think you can tell SO much about a person by their words, how they are placed, which words are used, how frequently, and what words they avoid. Also, you can pick up on inconsistencies in their usage.(pronouns changing after the 5th time used-therein lies a lie) I've studied this for a few long intense years, with great appreciation. I feel confident to predict a type by communication style. If a person is hiding something, and say they are only showing one side of themselves, usually to me, it's very apparent, and I can also see what they are leaving out, as well as what's being thrown in. Words are a map to the thoughts. I say 100.

What if ones words are specifically chosen to express thoughts and such. You would be on even playing field with everyone else ;) Maybe a little more confused as they are taken at face value by others and you are applying your logic.

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Obviously cognition is directly involved in most speech (with exceptions where people literally say something without thinking, which I think is less common than it may sound). However, I think it is difficult to determine exactly what functions are behind a person's speech, as there are many reasons a person may say something or hold a certain view. I think you can pick up on patterns with people and may be able to make a good guess at it though. It's very easy to get caught up in stereotyping what a type looks like (or sounds like), which is something most MBTI enthusiasts are guilty of at times.

wolfy

awsm
I think speech is a separate thing. Functions are paradigms, perceptions, archetypes. You can say you speak from them one hundred percent, you can say that you speak from them zero percent. Both are true.