• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Introverted societies

INTPness

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Why, exactly, are countries like Sweden and Japan considered to be "introverted societies"? What makes these societies so introvert friendly? Do extroverts in these countries run around going "ZOMG, I just don't fit in!"

Anyone from these nations care to chime in?

nolla

Senor Membrane
MBTI Type
INFP
Finland is introverted, because people here don't like people. I don't exactly feel like I fit in.

INTPness

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Finland is introverted, because people here don't like people. I don't exactly feel like I fit in.

Why, because you like people? You're an introvert living in an introverted society, yet you don't feel that you fit in?

nolla

Senor Membrane
MBTI Type
INFP
:smile: Yes something like that. I would fit in a society with tribes and feasts... I would be the friendly hermit.

In Finland, I'm not sure what it is, something bothers me about the atmosphere. I definitely get the feeling that people don't like people. There is way too much robotic obeying and "doing stuff as they expect me to do" and people are depressed. They walk with a concerned, a bit angry look on their face, no one likes to rock the boat. And they really have nothing to worry about, things are good here. Comparing to the rest of the world things are so good that they should have parties on the streets... but no...

INTPness

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Interesting! As good as things are there (relative to other areas of the world), maybe people suffer from "stuck inside the box syndrome". :D Maybe they don't feel free to use their creativity and to be an individual (rock the boat, if necessary). Maybe they feel like drones.

nolla

Senor Membrane
MBTI Type
INFP
It used to be a Lutheran country. What is left is Lutheran work ethics without the promise of a price on the other side. We need more SPs here...

Niaurus

MBTI Type
INTx
Enneagram
5w4
This description of Finland makes me want even more to get to Scandinavia.

It's odd of Japan to be considered introverted. Where can one find solitude in a small region around 127,420,000 people?

nolla

Senor Membrane
MBTI Type
INFP
Where can one find solitude in a small region around 127,420,000 people?

Oh, that is the one things that is good in here. There are plenty of places you can go to be alone. I now live in Helsinki, the capital, and I can walk a couple of miles and I am in a forest. Even less if I don't mind a couple of people here and there. When I was living abroad, I really had problems with this. There was nowhere to go for some meditative nature-moments...

INTPness

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
What happens to someone in Finland who is a total daredevil and rebel and who is always thinking and acting outside the box (not illegally). A crazy entrepreneur type who takes risks and "goes for it".

Do they get labeled as "total weirdos" who think they are special because they have original ideas and want to act on them?

Venom

Babylon Candle
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
What happens to someone in Finland who is a total daredevil and rebel and who is always thinking and acting outside the box (not illegally). A crazy entrepreneur type who takes risks and "goes for it".

Do they get labeled as "total weirdos" who think they are special because they have original ideas and want to act on them?

I would imagine that its not possible...given the political/economic nature of how things work there....

Craft

Probably Most Brilliant
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
5w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I think Eastern and Southeastern Asian Countries gives off Introversion because of the culture and the trend of values affecting overall personality. Japan has it more SJ'ish, making the "calm" and "respectful" "patient" traits more pronounced.

F

figsfiggyfigs

HOLY CRAP, the first year I was in Sweden, I almost died of boredom. Seriously. I think this is a huge reason to why I've become so introverted in the last 2 years. I've been slightly cornered into it... O_O.

I truly felt out of place for at least 1.5 yrs...

It's difficult to make friends, and people are uncomfortable looking or speaking to you.
Of course, it's easier for me since I'm a foreigner who speaks English, thus I am automatically " interesting" to them, even if I'm not.

I don't really know what it is. but it seems that people make friends at a young age and don't feel the need to interact with anyone else beyond that. They just maintain the friends from childhood.
Conversation is unnecessary; and they like the comfortable, solitary life style.

if you smile at them, they'll think your some sort of perv, who is imagining them in their nuddys.

Ohhh but when they drink.....

nolla

Senor Membrane
MBTI Type
INFP

I would imagine that its not possible...given the political/economic nature of how things work there....

I know a couple of those kind of people. They are not necessarily the people who come up with new ideas but they are the ones who take the ideas and try to make it work. I don't know much about economy, but my guess is that you don't get people investing in new things so easily here.

I don't really know what it is. but it seems that people make friends at a young age and don't feel the need to interact with anyone else beyond that. They just maintain the friends from childhood.

Yep. Sounds familiar. Or they have their work buddies...

if you smile at them, they'll think your some sort of perv, who is imagining them in their nuddys.

And Sweden is the friendlier country... :yes:

Ohhh but when they drink.....

Same here, except that we have even worse reputation.

Moiety

MBTI Type
ISFJ
Finland...Austria...Japan........ISTJ hellholes!!!!!!!

Moiety

MBTI Type
ISFJ
I've been to them both, and I agree there is a certain theme going on there... and these countries are quite apart from each other.

Quite productive. Good economical standard of living. People are colder. Very neat and clean. High suicide rates.

:sick:

No offense bruva :D

Robopop

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
ISTJ-ish cultures so far, what would a INTP culture look like?

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
The greater southern Appalachian region (especially West Virginia, Kentucky, and the mountainous parts of Tennessee and Virginia) is traditionally an introverted culture because of the isolation of the mountains. "Mountain people" still exist in WV, they hide from the census, and have no inclination to join the greater society. It's the stereotype of the suspicious, quiet, watchful, strong hillbilly who will chase you off of their property with a gun...which isn't a pleasant image...but I also think there's something to be respected about it, it's very "live and let live" in a primitive sense, a hermit's paradise, really. My grandfather was a personification of this, and I feel this influence on my own personality though I am much more attuned to modern mainstream culture.

It's an interesting contrast to the constant concern with societal image in the wealthier circles of the deep South.

Craft

Probably Most Brilliant
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
5w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
ISTJ-ish cultures so far, what would a INTP culture look like?

None so far. But someday my brethrens someday we will create our own intpian utopia.

Pfft...it'll probably be just a dump somewhere.

I think an INTPian society will not be a functioning one. It always has to have it's shares of J's SJ's, and other types but mainly J's.

the most intpish would be a small messy research unit somewhere...a society is different.