• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

How easy is it for you to see your dominant function?

wolfy

awsm
How easy is it for you to see your dominant function?.

Watching your own thinking. Being aware. You'd think you'd be able to spot some framework. Can you do that?

P

Phantonym

I don't see it, I feel it, I know. Trying to put it into word-form is something I really don't bother myself with, at least not for myself. For others, it's just not adequately describable. Maybe it is but I really have no need for it.

Quinlan

Intriguing....
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9w1
I don't really see it, I get antsy about random things sometimes? I dunno my MBTI knowledge has gone backwards badly.

Tamske

Writing...
MBTI Type
ENTP
I've got two Ne modes. The one where I actively try to trigger the thing, wanting to be creative. When I'm writing or painting or something. Then I'm quite conscious of what I'm doing.
But then there's the problem thrown at my feet and I go on problem-solving mode. Sometimes the problem gets solved so quickly and easily that I never realize there was a problem in the first place. I think it's a normal situation and I react in a normal way. Until somebody compliments me on my problem-solving skills and I go "Huh? Problem? What problem?" In short, I think I'm using Si but on retrospect I realize that it was the first time ever I've encountered that problem so it couldn't be...

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
I just recently read some brief pages by Leonore Thompson on the Ne matter and found her descriptions quite good. She said that experiencing Intuition is like listening to music. When you do, you dont concentrate on the notes themselves, but on the holistic thing they create when put in relation. So what you experience as music, is basically the relation between notes, a bit dumbly put.

On top of that she gave a good example regarding a person's face. If you meet a person, you always have a "gut feeling" from moment 1 on. I never really thought about that trait of mine in detail, but when I did, I realized I judged many people wrong in their character from the start. Another part aspect of this is the recognition of the face as a whole. You cant normally tell if a person has a big nose you wont notice ( except it's really big :D ). My workmate has a huge scar on his forehead and lately he talked about an accident he had as a kid. That was the first time I conciously realized there was a scar. This kind of attitude is best expressed, if someone asks me to describe a person. Like the police would ask you for a mug shot. It wouldnt matter if I dont know the person much or if I have known her / him for years, I suck at doing mug shots. On the other hand tho, I remember every face, I have ever seen in my life, the moment I see it again. The initial feeling is, "I know this person from somewhere" and then after some digging in my memories I know who she / he is. It's amazing my gf says I have an impressive facial recognition memory, tho as said, I totally suck at doing a mug shot.

One last intresting thing, Leonore talked about too, is conviction. When I was a kid I read all sorts of medical books and my parents where convinced, I'll become a doctor one day ( later when I discovered robots, medicine didnt caught my intrest again :D ). It started with me reading a series of books for kids about different topics, which were already pretty detailed but lacked many detail on the same hand. So I bought books for adults and tho I didnt understand like 60% of the words used, I still worked my way thru it. I still know till today, how the immune defence is coordinated, with B-memory cells coordinating the defence or if its an unknown bacteria, its either the antigenes or the T-Killer lymphocytes who answer to the challenge. What I wanted to say, equipped with this half-knowledge about things, my Intuition seemed to fill in the blanks ( without careful analysis ). So if my mom for example asked me something about an illness, I gave her a prompt answer ( cause I didnt want to look stupid ) and made like 70% of the answer up. The things I made up were quite good and they could definitly be the answer, I'ld just really need to subject them to further study first, to be convinced this is how it works.

This conviction about knowing things I never knew nowadays got replaced by a lot of methodical, systematical and technical expertise thanks to my University education, so I am no easy victim for myself no more. It's nevertheless good to know, one does such a thing, it's good for knowing when and when not you betray yourself and that you are not all-knowing.

One thing hasnt ceased to exist for me so far yet and that's my fascination for all kind of working systems, which I try to see holistically, to fill in all the blanks and then analyse or just enjoy, if it's not to be analyzed. Systems like: electrical circuits, political events and whats really happening, economic systems, biological systems, astronomical occurences, card games, relationships, music, .....

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
Effortless, once you know what to look for.

It's like walking through the world, with your mind doing this to everything:

bodyworks_1360513i.jpg

People, things, ideas, even yourself. Nothing escapes Ti's gaze.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
I often had the impression that intps like photography as in to capture a nice scenery. Can that be understood as a relief to Ãœber-Ti ?

Aleksei

Yeah, I can fly.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Random crazy ideas pop into my head all the time, unbidden. Sometimes I have to force Ne to work though, like when I'm tackling a problem.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
I am still critical to if its possible at all to force a perceiving function like N or S to work for you. I for example dont think other personalities have a lesser amount of ideas than entps, I rather think they have different intrests then for example problem solving.

I think perceiving functions are a like glasses you wear which make you see the world different from other people. The thing tho is, you will probably never know how other people see the world and you can just hope that you can find out in dialogue to have an epiphany one day with a great idea.

But I am critical if N or S can be manipulated.

G

garbage

if I've got it right this time, I guess it manifests in that I regularly try to resolve differing perspectives in my own mind. It's what I do.

Sorry if you wanted something more mysterious for Ni :shrug:

On the other hand, Socionics Ni doesn't describe me very well--Fi does a much better job under that system.

I for example dont think other personalities have a lesser amount of ideas than entps, I rather think they have different intrests then for example problem solving.

this

I've likened the functions to what one 'pays attention' to.. though that isn't the best phrasing because it implies that all functions are perceiving..

Little Linguist

Striving for balance
MBTI Type
xNFP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Not easy. Just happens.

Though I sometimes/often find myself analyzing myself and my thought processes.

Aleksei

Yeah, I can fly.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
On the other hand, Socionics Ni doesn't describe me at all--Fi does a much better job under that system.
Makes sense, it is a different system after all.

Rebe

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4sop
Things and people that trigger my internal fi landscape of ideas and ideals gives me an elated feeling.

Rajah

Reigning Bologna Princess
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
I make bizarre connections effortlessly. I'll just come up with the answer and then have to backtrack and come up with why it makes sense. It's why I hated math class; I could get to the answer easily, but I hated having to show my work. My mind isn't so elegantly linear.

animenagai

MBTI Type
NeFi
Enneagram
4w3
I make bizarre connections effortlessly. I'll just come up with the answer and then have to backtrack and come up with why it makes sense. It's why I hated math class; I could get to the answer easily, but I hated having to show my work. My mind isn't so elegantly linear.

I liked maths, but yeah, ditto :D

To me, being Ne dominant isn't something that I sense or pick up. Ne is my core, my base. Everything that I do, everything that I think of pretty much would be motivated or framed in an Ne way. Pretty much everything I do has some sort of theoretical framework I attach to it.

So yeah, it's real easy for me.

Eric B

ⒺⓉⒷ
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
It seems introverted functions as dominant are hardest to see, because they're so internal and second nature. Particularly the Ji functions (logic vs "value"), which have become blurred due to a lot of common simplistic descriptions.

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
It seems introverted functions as dominant are hardest to see, because they're so internal and second nature. Particularly the Ji functions (logic vs "value"), which have become blurred due to a lot of common simplistic descriptions.

I have a hard time seeing my dominant function. What works best for me is to put it in writing and then analyze what I wrote. But I am still dont usually see the function itself but more letting the function judge itself and work itself out.

rav3n

Te-dom is easy to see. Put pretty much anything in front of me of interest or necessity and I'll try to take it apart, organize it and solve it, even if it doesn't need solving. It's not deliberate. Shit happens.

Such Irony

Honor Thy Inferior
MBTI Type
INtp
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I have no problems seeing the dominant function in myself.