• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Strengthening certain functions

InTheFlesh

Enneagram
CFV
This question might be odd or ridiculous, but are there certain things you can do to increase the usage of certain functions in everyday life? Like a certain "brain exorcise" or something of that sort?

Thanks in advance for any responses:)

Noon

I certainly believe so. Here are some ideas I've got.

For strengthening Fe:
1) Write down three things that some people you know like and try to think of three more on your own that would suit each one.
2) Have conversations where you focus primarily on the other person and how they are currently doing. If the other person is similarly Fe-wielding, you will be naturally engaged as well.
3) Smile at everyone you pass on the street (not too big or else you look crazy :laugh:). If feeling especially daring, also greet with good morning or good afternoon.
4) Think of an action someone takes and how it conveys one or another message to everyone else.
5) Visit more often with relatives.
6) View yourself and all others as part of a broader context. Within this broad context, [social] order is what matters most. Basically, no man is an island. All individuals work together towards a greater [common] goal.

For strengthening Se:
1) Go for a walk, write down which parts of the scenery were most eye-catching, describe them in detail (bonus points for similes). Alternatively, replace walking/scenery with music/notes or anything/scent. The most convenient thing about Se is that it can be used anywhere on anything.
2) Selective coloring in Photoshop :laugh:. It can be simple, but still a great way to exercise Se: pick the perfect color down to the slightest shade, take in the entire picture and notice even the smallest effect on the overall balance, mix and match until you find a way to make everything pop!
3) Read a book (hell, even read the forums). This alone is exercising Se because you are processing the details of the external. For bonus points, also judge your comprehension time; how many times did you have to read it before really taking it in? Note: Simple reading is fine. If it gets too abstract or theoretical, it is Ni/Ne instead of Se. Your comprehension doesn't have to be counted in depth of thought as much as it is: I read this, the words are now in my head, and they are not mush.
4) Go to a public place, take in the energy, and then describe it in detail. How does it affect you physically, mentally, emotionally...?
5) Set aside some time for things that depend heavily on action, reaction, and interaction. Bonus points if you also need a lot of coordination. Instead of chess, play a card game like Speed. Instead of Pac-Man, try Dance Dance Revolution. Instead of the carousel, go to the bumper cars.
6) Do anything physical. It does not have to be high-energy, you can for instance try yoga, twister, or form your own mini conga line. How's it feel to really inhabit your body?

For strengthening Fi:
1) Think of three things that are so important to you that you could almost never bring yourself to compromise under any circumstances.
2) Think about what is the most meaningful aspect of life, or more personally, yours. Ask yourself why it is so.
3) Try to make at least one decision each day based on what is most important to you. Please note that this doesn't equal what makes you feel good (that is probably more Se :laugh:). You can use your emotional reactions for information, but a large part of Fi lies in analyzing and exploring those reactions to get to the core root of the matter, which is to find what is important in that instance, and how important it is. Typically, the level of unbalance/disharmony you experience is parallel to the level of importance within the value you face compromising.
4) After you make that decision, consider whether you chose to follow said value or compromise it. Describe how you subsequently felt after either. If you chose to follow the value after all, did you feel a nearly ineffable sense of internal relief or balance? Said sense is probably what makes Fi so difficult to translate into words.
5) Think of the Golden Rules (i.e. "Always say please", "Love thy neighbor", etc). Ask yourself why they are important/unimportant, right/wrong, good/bad, and decide whether or not you will follow or ignore them.
6) The next time you hear about a problem someone is having, a misfortune they are encountering, a sadness they are enduring, or an anger they are experiencing, try to put yourself in that person's shoes and thoroughly understand the whys and hows of that situation. Note that you don't have to feel sympathy, pity, or make excuses for them. You just have to step outside of your box. Note that this empathy as opposed to sympathy is often what keeps Fi-doms almost naturally inclined to high respect for boundaries.

For strengthening Ne:
1) Make one of these lists on your own :laugh:
2) "How would the world be if ____"? One of my personal favorites is, "What would change if most of the world's cultures were matriarchal?". Think of change for the sake of change.
3) Go out of your way to have your views and perspectives challenged and expanded. Be open to any and all.
4) Always look for more; try to view the potential of an idea rather than just the idea itself, and work your way into synthesizing a broader, greater whole. The next time you encounter an idea, consider its deeper implications within a broad context.

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
At last, a thread that is actually on type with potential substance.

More people should be so ridiculous.

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
What about Te and Ti?

Te...

- describing something in several different ways, such as a chart, graph, list, words, etc.
- take some everyday task and think about how you could streamline it to make it more efficient. what is unnecessary or redundant?
- taking a long, confusing forum post and reorganizing it to be more clear.
- look at your "to do" list and see if you can group things together to make them easier - like if you have to go on errands, try to create the most efficient path
- conduct an experiment :)

i'd personally like to know about Ni!

Frank

"8 keys to self leadership" by Dario Nardi gives introductory, basic and advanced exercises for developing each function.

Jaguar

"8 keys to self leadership" by Dario Nardi gives introductory, basic and advanced exercises for developing each function.

That's a good book. I gather you got your copy before it hit 100 bucks on Amazon. ;)

InTheFlesh

Enneagram
CFV
I have crazy Fe and Ni, now I just want to have supercharged Ti so I can be able to be a master debater:D

Frank

That's a good book. I gather you got your copy before it hit 100 bucks on Amazon. ;)

Yeah it was one of the better ones I have read in function theory. I liked his ideas about combining functions that are not normally thought of as compatible in alot of MBTI literature.

Rebe

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4sop
Te...

- describing something in several different ways, such as a chart, graph, list, words, etc.
- take some everyday task and think about how you could streamline it to make it more efficient. what is unnecessary or redundant?
- taking a long, confusing forum post and reorganizing it to be more clear.
- look at your "to do" list and see if you can group things together to make them easier - like if you have to go on errands, try to create the most efficient path
- conduct an experiment :)

:eek: :zzz:

This is why I don't Te; I really should... My job requires it...

I am curious about Si.

InTheFlesh

Enneagram
CFV

Is there anyway I could find this book without paying for it?
I'm strapped for cash:doh:

InTheFlesh

Enneagram
CFV
It was actually.

I think it's the result of some built up frustration. Sorry if it didn't sound like it

I just didn't want to be wrong, so I said it just in case:)
Nah, I can see it. I sense bitterness about the direction the forum posts have gone in haha.
But then again, I'm sure most people could haha.

InTheFlesh

Enneagram
CFV
I certainly believe so. Here are some ideas I've got.

For strengthening Se:
1) Go for a walk, write down which parts of the scenery were most eye-catching, describe them in detail (bonus points for similes). Alternatively, replace walking/scenery with music/notes or anything/scent. The most convenient thing about Se is that it can be used anywhere on anything.
2) Selective coloring in Photoshop :laugh:. It can be simple, but still a great way to exercise Se: pick the perfect color down to the slightest shade, take in the entire picture and notice even the smallest effect on the overall balance, mix and match until you find a way to make everything pop!
3) Read a book (hell, even read the forums). This alone is exercising Se because you are processing the details of the external. For bonus points, also judge your comprehension time; how many times did you have to read it before really taking it in? Note: Simple reading is fine. If it gets too abstract or theoretical, it is Ni/Ne instead of Se. Your comprehension doesn't have to be counted in depth of thought as much as it is: I read this, the words are now in my head, and they are not mush.
4) Go to a public place, take in the energy, and then describe it in detail. How does it affect you physically, mentally, emotionally...?
5) Set aside some time for things that depend heavily on action, reaction, and interaction. Bonus points if you also need a lot of coordination. Instead of chess, play a card game like Speed. Instead of Pac-Man, try Dance Dance Revolution. Instead of the carousel, go to the bumper cars.
6) Do anything physical. It does not have to be high-energy, you can for instance try yoga, twister, or form your own mini conga line. How's it feel to really inhabit your body?

I want to do this:D

Andy

Supreme High Commander
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6

I am curious about Si.

Don't worry, that's nothing to do with Te anyway...

Extroverted functions are action orientated. You are not going to strengthen any of them by sitting around writing lists! You might be able to fool yourself into thinking you are through, like putting together alovely colour coded to do list... and taking so long over it you are basically just procastinating.

To strengthen Te you must learn to take responsibility for decision making, act decisively and respond promptly to problems as they occure. Throw the fucking lists away.

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
This question might be odd or ridiculous, but are there certain things you can do to increase the usage of certain functions in everyday life? Like a certain "brain exorcise" or something of that sort?

Thanks in advance for any responses:)

There is an excellent book called Functions of Type, Activities to Develop The Eight Jungian Functions by Gary and Margaret Hartzler that is about this topic. EdCoaching recommended it.

Vamp

MBTI Type
ENFP

lol, exactly. I do some of that stuff naturally (efficient to-do lists, organization most especially, planning all the time) but I find it so tedious.
I will practice, however. To help my focus.

Noon

I want to do this:D

Go for it! Hope you have a blast! :yes:

I am curious about Si.

Nn, I think when a person is viewing the world from an Si perspective, the world must be ordered, certain/constant/reliable, and everything within it must have its own place. Basically, there is always a firm system/hierarchy that protects inhabitants from anarchy and destruction.

Maybe some things to do for strengthening Si:
1) Thoroughly read several books and successfully reference or apply the information in an everyday situation. That is, when you come to a problem or something, think back on what you learned from those books and ways in which you can apply it.
2) Schedule an activity at a specific time (for instance, 9:30am each Monday or something) and successfully carry it out for a sustained amount of time.
3) Study the English class system. Alternatively, learn the major branches of biology and a few facts about each. I suppose you could also create your own system and make original categories and subcategories. In any case, classification and organization is a huge part of Si.
4) Visit a place, any place. Don't visit it for a few more days. After those days have passed, revisit. Does it look similar or different? How does it compare to the last time you were there?
5) Think about three major events which occurred during your childhood. How have they led to who you are as a person today, and what have you learned from them? How much have you grown since then?
6) Practice your grammar and spelling skills! Memorizing proper spelling and spelling rules is another hallmark of Si. English grammar is packed with rules, classes, categories, details, and expected forms; I would expect most accomplished grammarians to have highly active Si.

wolfy

awsm
The best word I have ever heard for Se is scout. A way to practice Se is to go somewhere with a lot of external stimuli in the environment and keep aware but not let your mind stop.

Another way to practice in a more practical way is by reflecting on how Se would combine with either Ti or Fi and practice in that way.

Learn something that is physical in nature, learn the concepts behind it. Express yourself directly.

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Don't worry, that's nothing to do with Te anyway...

Extroverted functions are action orientated. You are not going to strengthen any of them by sitting around writing lists! You might be able to fool yourself into thinking you are through, like putting together alovely colour coded to do list... and taking so long over it you are basically just procastinating.

To strengthen Te you must learn to take responsibility for decision making, act decisively and respond promptly to problems as they occure. Throw the fucking lists away.

for those of us who aren't Te masters, it's a good place to start - even if it sounds boring.

but if you're a non-Te dom/aux completely uninterested in outputting logically while not under pressure, then are you really going to be able to adhere to primarily Te only and output logically when under fire? i totally agree with what you're saying, but easier said than done when it's not something you've honed over the years. if someone told me to hop up to the plate and use some Ti under fire i'd die of laughter. i'd end up using Fi and i know it. my level of Ti blows way too much to even consider that yet.

external categorization and organization systems are Te, even if you find them boring. writing does happen to be an action, even if it's not cinema-worthy. if that's not someone's personal choice on how to work on improving Te, that's fine, but it's no reason to write it off (write, ha ha), either.