• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

T being better than F

disregard

mrs
MBTI Type
INFP
Hey
I don't really know how to say it =X
But it seems like many F think that being T is better than being F
And that like they think that being T is in every way easier than being F and that they dont like being F.
& if F was super nice friendly and T jerk that has no emotions, so Mrs. F would like to become Mrs. T...
while the opposite does not happend? o_O

Get it? o_O
So am I a moron who has hallucinations or is it true?

Note: Sorry about the big amount of "and like you know the thingy watermelon" . I'm jealous of whoever has writing skills. :yes:

I think it is because feelers around here and at INTPc have been treated like they are less intelligent than thinkers.

Of course it's not true (take CC SS for example), but it's still frustrating.

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Because we think with our brains and you think with your hearts. And thinking with your brains is normal, so you guys are freaks for using an organ that is designed for the circulatory system.

It's science. You can't deny my logic. :laugh:

Ahhh... Nobody thinks I'm funny but me...

Hell yeah, I love thinking with an organ that has no neural pathways! How we think will forever be a mystery. ;)

HighwayChild

Enneagram
4w5
Hey
I don't really know how to say it =X
But it seems like many F think that being T is better than being F
And that like they think that being T is in every way easier than being F and that they dont like being F.
& if F was super nice friendly and T jerk that has no emotions, so Mrs. F would like to become Mrs. T...
while the opposite does not happend? o_O

Get it? o_O
So am I a moron who has hallucinations or is it true?

Note: Sorry about the big amount of "and like you know the thingy watermelon" . I'm jealous of whoever has writing skills. :yes:

Hey, I feel you sometimes. But do you ever feel like you can "turn on" the T when you need to? I know what you mean about the writing skills. T people seem very precise about what they want to say and I wonder if they can just talk and type like that without much hesitation. If I write something were I intend to put a lot of thought into it, it seems to take forever. Most of the time I don't care and will just type as my mind flows. Like right now. Tends to be babbly.
But I really like my F much better. We all have our strenghts and weaknesses but to me, it's much more useful around other people to think primarily as an F and be able to switch to T when I have to. To me, Fs are much more fun and pleasant to be around. While not all Ts are Spock-like robots or whatever, most can certainly come off that way. Many come off as pompous and can suck the fun right out of everything. Kudos to you thinkers who manage to be relaxed and balanced, wherever you are. (I'm so sorry if I offend you!)
Coco, I like your NF. You say the craziest nonsense but it's hilarious and so much fun to read. It really takes a different kind of intelligence to be able to pull that off, so my T thinks anyway.

Emectar

MBTI Type
ENFP
I hear what you're saying, but.. umm.. Is there any reason why rats would be a good way to test any of this in the first place? They could just be limited to E/I themselves. I can't imagine there being an INFP or ESTJ rat. There *could* be people that come close though. Why not test on them?

haha, thats a great point

Jaguar

Because we think with our brains and you think with your hearts. And thinking with your brains is normal, so you guys are freaks for using an organ that is designed for the circulatory system.

It's science. You can't deny my logic. :laugh:

Okay Patches, this is just for you. My Dad is possibly ISXJ, probably T but I never rule out F on anyone. Both my Dad and I have quit jobs in our lifetimes because the men we were dealing with had no integrity - frigging scumbags. The money meant nothing to us, because we don't sell out our integrity for any price. One day I was talking with Dad about thinking with your head and your heart. I asked him which he does, and his answer was my own- BOTH.

I brought up one of his melodramatic moments, earlier in his life, when he quit working for a large company, and I asked him how he decided. He pointed to his heart and said, "My heart told me the president was a piece of shit, and my head told me to tell him to shove it up his ass!" :D

As far as I am concerned if someone can't use both their head and their heart together, their decisions will be utter garbage.

pseudoku

MBTI Type
xNTp
I love my T (haha), but F people tend to be more flexible when going between T and F. T people tend to find it harder to use their F than Fs their T... Might make them more balanced/well-adapted individuals.

HighwayChild

Enneagram
4w5
Are Fs more prone to "the grass is greener" syndrome?

Maybe, depending on the person. I suppose it could depend on the enneagram type to go along with it, like a 4 F could be more inclined to see a barren wasteland with gray skies and skeletons (which can be beautiful in it's own way) and a 7 F might definately see green pastures full of rainbows and bunny rabbits and cute little chipmunks and whatnot. I tend to see the negative more often and can get overly paranoid and usually react emotionally in a nonproductive way. I don't like this about myself. This isn't always the case, but does happen often. That's when I stop and tune in to the rational T and usually that helps bring a sense of calm and peace. So, sometimes, the T part brings in some rain and life and allows me to grow my F into a greener pasture, it's all about balance I think. This is why sometimes I can see T as being better than F, but I still enjoy the F more. I have a crazy uncle who is a T and he is fun loving and always happy, although when he goes into TJ mode, I can't help but laugh at him a little. He's ex military and it is just funny to me to see how his mind seems to transport back into his days in the field, even for something as simple of setting up a tent on a camp ground. My family knows to just get out of his way and let him do his thing. I guess I mean that he overthinks things sometimes. I keep expecting him to get flashbacks and just jump under a table screaming for everyone to GET DOWN!

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I brought up one of his melodramatic moments, earlier in his life, when he quit working for a large company, and I asked him how he decided. He pointed to his heart and said, "My heart told me the president was a piece of shit, and my head told me to tell him to shove it up his ass!" :D

:rofl1: your dad is awesome.

As far as I am concerned if someone can't use both their head and their heart together, their decisions will be utter garbage.

absolutely.

my dad is a T concerned with integrity. it was once suggested to him that he backdate (illegal, not to mention unethical, but rather easy to get away with) documents, and he took the issue straight to the head of the company and informed him that he would be doing no such thing, both for his own good and the good of everyone else. and he still has that job today.

and my INTP little brother is a drama queen, his inferior/aspirational Fe is simultaneously hilarious and maddening. and sometimes very sweet, though he'd be loathe to admit it!

Are Fs more prone to "the grass is greener" syndrome?

well, Fs in general concentrate on people more, so i think there is a natural tendency to compare and contrast. i also suspect that Fs, especially Fi dom/aux, are more prone to experiencing it in emotional bouts too, which correlates to feeling down about oneself. it's the usage of shitty logic that is then attached to value judgments:

(parentheses = things one may tend to forget/leave out)

1. ____ is a characteristic of me ->
  2. that was not useful to me (in this situation) ->
  3. (all) others do not seem to have this issue ->
  4. i am lesser than (some) others (in this respect) ->
  5. i suck/fail/have disappointed someone

of course what is missing here is the other half of the argument, which is that i have some strengths that others don't. i am sure that being a T would be better in some situations, but not all.

and i think it's easy to forget sometimes that others have bouts of insecurity too, when you're so absorbed in your own issues. despite lots of Fi dom/aux I AM NOT JEALOUS! statements on the boards, i personally totally admit to jealousy. i compare myself to others and naturally notice all their strengths (as an F is apt to do...) and feel insecure in comparison. of course the solution is emphasizing your own strengths :tongue:

secrets:
incidentally, for anyone who struggles with feeling down on themselves too, i really like keeping a resume (aka really obvious list of accomplishments) and a "scrapbook" board (instead of all my scrap stuff in a book it's pinned up on a huge corkboard) around to remind me of how awesome i am and all the fun things i've done and hope to do ;)

KDude

I have a grass is greener syndrome, but generally, my ego kicks in, and I appreciate my little wasteland forest of Enneagram 4 skulls and death :rolleyes: Besides, they are dancing sugar skull skeletons, in a mariachi band, playing Secret Agent Man. Which is not so bad if you heard them. People might be better off planting their green grass and pretty little butts over here, and then we can mix it up. Or not. I don't really care, and I'm not jumping over any fences in the end. ;)

HighwayChild

Enneagram
4w5
I have a grass is greener syndrome, but generally, my ego kicks in, and I appreciate my little wasteland forest of Enneagram 4 skulls and death :rolleyes: Besides, they are dancing sugar skull skeletons, in a mariachi band, playing Secret Agent Man. Which is not so bad if you heard them. People might be better off planting their green grass and pretty little butts over here, and then we can mix it up. Or not. I don't really care, and I'm not jumping over any fences in the end. ;)

Well said! And a mariachi band full of dancing sugar skeletons are much cooler than three chipmunks singing christmas carols.

Stanton Moore

morose bourgeoisie
MBTI Type
INFP
F= reasoning function. NOT a propensity toward emotional reaction.

Can we all agree on that simple definition?

KDude

I like to think of T/F as kind of difference between positive and negative in Voltage and 1's and 0's in Binary. I'm sure someone more acquainted with the two would tear that apart, but I think it's a good enough illustration.. where they are kind of the same, yet different? One's more analog and electric, one's digital and computational. No?

To carry it further, the F's processing capability, like electrical devices, uses a reference point, a ground (call this ground any applicable values/principles/impressions/aesthetic judgements to a situation... and these values can be abysmal or pretty refined depending on the person's experiences and Perception), and the signal goes negative/positive according to whatever limits set by the ground. While T processes through principles from set or boolean logic (which is also applicable to many situations, but without the "ground", it comes off detached or dispassionate in some people. It's straight up logical processing).

Umm.. but maybe some people are just a little bit of both.. It's up to a T person or F person to adjust to a foreign area (one where it has little grounding or where it's not sure how it's logic applies) on it's own terms or try to apply it's mode of thinking everywhere (in many cases, T types do in fact have values and feeling and various sentiments, and draw on it where they think it's necessary. And F's sure as hell can't change a tire without T, so they're drawing on that there). Anyways, I'm going to stop now :whistling:

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
There is a big deal, MBTI is the "opium" of our people.

Classic! I love it - keep 'em coming. Are you & Victor sharing a brain now?
:D

I need to find the thread where SW says folk typology is a major threat like global warming and put it in my sig....

SolitaryWalker

Tenured roisterer
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I need to find the thread where SW says folk typology is a major threat like global warming and put it in my sig....

I've never said such a thing, only that people respond to criticism of folk typology similarly to how Oil-drilling companies respond to information about how their business exacerbates global warming. This statement suggests that folk typologists have a similar emotional attachment to their views as Oil-drilling companies do to their right to keep drilling at the expense of global warming. That tells us nothing about how dangerous folk-typology is.

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I've never said such a thing, only that people respond to criticism of folk typology similarly to how Oil-drilling companies respond to information about how their business exacerbates global warming. This statement suggests that folk typologists have a similar emotional attachment to their views as Oil-drilling companies do to their right to keep drilling at the expense of global warming. That tells us nothing about how dangerous folk-typology is.

It implies the emotional attachment is at the expense of something very serious, in this case, something akin to global warming.

In any case, it's unintentionally humorous - and I approve.

SolitaryWalker

Tenured roisterer
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
It implies the emotional attachment is at the expense of something very serious, in this case, something akin to global warming..

What's serious here is that folk typologists have an irrational attachment to their views. In fact, their committment is so intense that its comparable to the committment of multi-million dollar businesses to their primary source of revenue.

I'd think that such dogmatism is dangerous on some level, however, its perils are more comparable to other consequences of a narrow-minded attitude rather than to natural disasters such as global warming.

I agree that the emotional attachment does come at the expense of something very serious, but not quite as serious as global warming. The dangers of folk typology consists in its dogmatism and that kind of a peremptory attitude resembles the attitude of Oil-Drilling companies; that can be dangerous in many different ways, however, the perils of a steadfast attitude don't have to entail global warming or any other similar catastrophe.

A practice does not need to be as grave as global warming to be considered dangerous, the comparison of folk typologists was to the attitude of Oil-Drilling companies and not to the natural consequences of their business.

SolitaryWalker

Tenured roisterer
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
By your own definition, that means even you can be a folk typologist.

That's not true. An irrational attachment to your views is one thing that you need to be a folk typologist, but not the only thing. Therefore, the fact that I may have an irrational attachment to some of my views does not make me a folk typologist.