• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Recommended books...

stalemate

Post-Humorously
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
I am going on vacation next week and will probably have some time to kill so I would like to do some MBTI related reading.

I have read Please Understand Me II recently and now I would like to start trying to understand the cognitive functions. Any suggested reading? I have really no idea where to start.

I think I would prefer books (electronic or regular) but I am open to online resources too since I will have my iPad but those wouldn't be accessible while on a flight, etc.

Such Irony

Honor Thy Inferior
MBTI Type
INtp
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Functions of Type (Gary Hartzler and Margaret Hartzler)

Dynamics of Personality Type (Linda V. Berens)

Personality Type: An Owner's Manual (Lenore Thomson)

G

garbage

For a more practical approach to the concepts behind MBTI (my favorite part), Gifts Differing (Briggs' thoughts), The Art of Speed Reading People (roughly, a 'typewatching' book), and 8 Keys to Self-Leadership (things to think about when 'practicing' functions) are all pretty good when taken with a grain of salt.

Aside from that last one, though, these books don't have much to do with the cognitive functions.

I haven't found a good Socionics book, though. Socionics Demystified evaluates everything from the author's perspective and uses MBTI's definitions for functions. I don't like that approach, and it's inaccurate. That is all.

stalemate

Post-Humorously
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
I have been reading through Lenore Thomson's book recommended by paradigm-shift. Pretty interesting reading but I am kind of getting into a mode where the more I read, the less I know about myself. :sigh:

stalemate

Post-Humorously
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
For a more practical approach to the concepts behind MBTI (my favorite part), Gifts Differing (Briggs' thoughts), The Art of Speed Reading People (roughly, a 'typewatching' book), and 8 Keys to Self-Leadership (things to think about when 'practicing' functions) are all pretty good when taken with a grain of salt.
Thank you, I will probably end up reading some of these too.

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Top 6 in order:
1. Gifts Differing - Myers (classic, concise, clear)
2. Personality Type - An Owner's Manual - Lenore Thompson (insightful, in-depth, great profile descriptions, fun to read)
3. Was That Really Me? - Naomi Quenk (just really cool if a bit unsettling book on the not so pleasant side of ourselves)
4. Building Blocks of Personality Type - Haas and Hunziker (great practically written book on the 8 functions)
5. Jung's Function Attitudes Explained (early foundational book on functions - short and concise)
6. Type Talk at Work (MBTI focus, practical advice and interesting application for work situations)

And two that have nothing to do with Type
1. Outliers - Malcolm Gladwell (really interesting)
2. Mistborn - Brandon Sanderson (best fiction book series I've read)

KDude

I like Thomson's book, but it seems at odds with Keirsey (apparently, the prevailing wisdom) to the point that some would think it's inaccurate in some way. I still recommend it though.

Oddly, Was That Really Me? wasn't that disturbing for IFPs (in my opinion).

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I like Thomson's book, but it seems at odds with Keirsey (apparently, the prevailing wisdom) to the point that some would think it's inaccurate in some way. I still recommend it though.

Oddly, Was That Really Me? wasn't that disturbing for IFPs (in my opinion).

Kiersey is one of the first books that I read. There is some good stuff in there but other things - it's more like the romanticized version of type. I suppose everyone should read it, for the nostalgia if nothing else.

Oh - if you have kids, Nurture by Nature is worth taking a look at too.