• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Define Principles and Values.

wolfy

awsm
Define principles and/or values. Explain in your own words what it means to work from principles and/or values in typology.

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
okay.

my own terms --

principles are "phrase" rules, such as "do unto others (etc)", don't murder, respect others' opinions, etc. in my mind, they come with the caveat that they are generalities. derived from a conglomeration of values. principles are good for general actions. baseline, if you will. it's easier than evaluating every minute detail; "don't kill" wipes that option off the chart; "help others" makes the option i want fairly clear. they're action oriented; they require a verb.

values are (note also a verb) areas/things to which i give the most/more importance. things like friendship, family, exploring, taking care of the environment, dressing well, but even much smaller things like not really having a favorite color because i value them all for different things. blue makes me feel elegant and serene whereas red gives off confidence and warmth and passion. so my "favorite"/preferred color changes all the time, though the reasons i appreciate colors are more stable. they're less action-oriented.

values are better in abnormal situations when principles don't feel right. if someone is threatening my mother with a gun, i will kill them. and i will feel bad about killing them, but i will not regret it. though there's no remorse for me in the "breaking" of the principle because it's not a hard-and-fast rule, just a useful tool (the regret comes instead from valuing every human life). values are also more subtle and precise, and more environmentally- and mood-influenced.

in typology, i would say that principles are Ne-Te summarizations of large groups of Fi evaluations. values belong to Fi.