• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Let pretend we are at a party!

Ypsilon

MBTI Type
INFP
Imagine we are at a big party of the year. Which types would be doing what? Who would be the best/worse socializers?:party2:

EsoteriEccentri

MBTI Type
INFP
I'm watching people from a corner (INFP)
I'm talking to someone I know well (other INFP)
I'm not here -either daydreaming or physically not here-(third INFP)

Doesn't it differ person to person? =)
I'm either number one or number three, really.

Noel

MBTI Type
INFP
I'm the quiet dude that Shotguns! a PBR.

white

~dangerous curves ahead~
MBTI Type
ENTP
Cute topic ypsilon. (Could I call you yippy??) :)

I'd probably flit from group to group to say my hellos. Settle on the people I like about halfway through and engage in *deep* *meaningful* conversation. Or just fun talk. ;) Break off periodically to water myself with some alcohol. Say hi to more people or bye. Find it too noisy for quiet talk. Leave early with some special people.

Nadir

Enigma
MBTI Type
INxJ
Enneagram
Whenever I'm not watching people introduce themselves to each other, I'm introducing myself to some others. ;)

MBTI Type
INTJ
I'm spending the entire day trying to figure out a reason not to go, even though a lot of times I wind up enjoying myself if I can get out the door.

Once I'm there, I stick like glue to the people I know well, and don't really talk to new people unless one of these unfortunate glue people is also in the conversation. I look around and feel self-conscious that I am not mingling and I worry that everyone is looking at me and wondering why that weird guy isn't talking to anyone. If there is an activity like a game, that is when I can relax a little and interact. Maybe even be a little bit of a clown. An activity can act as a buffer and make interpersonal conversations a little less nerve-wracking.

Dansker

MBTI Type
INTP
On the whole I'm trying to look busy, avoiding people and awkward conversations.

I'll probably only stay an hour and then I'll leave. I'll stay longer if the cards come out and we can play 500. :devil:

mippus

you are right
MBTI Type
Intp
Enneagram
5w6
Observing others, which means being on the lookout for people I know. Talk to them, avoiding anyone I don't know. And if someone I don't know starts a conversation, I keep my answers very short or even sarcastic and scare them away. On the way home, I'll hate myself for that :D

arcticangel02

To the top of the world
MBTI Type
eNFP
I'm a bit quiet at first at parties - I'll happily greet you if I know you, or even if I've seen you around somewhere before, but I'm not so good at striking up conversations with complete strangers. I don't know where to start, so I'll only really end up speaking to you if I've been deliberately introduced to you and there's some point of similarity I can start with. Then it's usually okay. :)

I hate to cling, so I'll happily listen to the conversation of complete strangers (or, in dire situations, feign deep interest in some inanimate object) in order to avoid chasing the people I know about the place.

Later on I might venture out and introduce myself to some people, or get into deep/enthusiastic conversations with people I know.

I'm usually one of the last ones there (I tend to enjoy the evening more as it goes on), unless there's a specific reason I have for leaving.

Interesting topic, Ypsilon! :nice:

Jae Rae

Free-Rangin' Librarian
MBTI Type
INFJ
Tango?

If you're a man dancing at a party, you're attracting a lot of women. [happy buzzing sounds.] Unless you're doing the Funky Chicken.

Jae Rae

Domino

ENFJ In Chains
MBTI Type
eNFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I'm two steps through the door and I immediately start making the rounds, making sure to say hello to everyone and pass greetings before I settle into a conversation on the sidelines. I don't drink or eat at parties, so all of my time is spent talking or joking around (or running around a kitchen island being chased by Canadians.)

I usually have my INTJ best friend as my wingman.

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
If I didn't know anyone at the party..gulp..I'd be really nervous and would be trying to figure out where to go, who to try to meet, and how to work my way into a conversation. I'd be really self-conscious the whole time, feeling like I stuck out because I was by myself and didn't know anyone. Even if I managed to mingle my way into a group, I'd be quiet most of the time. If I went with someone I knew, I'd pretty much stay with them - but then if they knew a bunch of people, I'd feel bad that I was being so clingy, and so then I'd probably try to make some effort chit-chatting with other people.

My savior would be some sort of activity - playing cards or darts, or a board game (as long as it's NOT charades or anything where I have to get up in front of people and sing/act! eek!!). I'd dive into that and be much more comfortable. And once I was doing that I'd have an easier time mellowing out and then chit-chatting with the other players.

[although if we're talking college-type parties, then I was inclined to just drown my uncomfortableness by getting drunk and dancing]

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
walk in- find the bar- grab a strong drink and start chatting everyone up- especially the quiet people who don't look like they're having fun- continue hitting the bar- step outside for a smoke break and chat with the others out there- hit the bar again- dance with someone (gender doesn't matter)- play beer pong for a bit- dance back over to the bar- make rounds chatting with everyone again

repeat this set of actions until the party dies down- leave with the last few partiers to a bar- stay there until it closes talking about the evils of the world and what's wrong with our country- leave and find food- call a cab and find someone to share it with- go home and walk the dog and then crash

:) yep- that's about what you could expect from me at a party! :yes:

:party2: oh yeah- I forgot- interspersed in there occasional loud singing (badly) :rofl1:

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
she's mobbed by canadians like The Beatles were with groupies back in the day! :rofl1:

God Of Emptiness

MBTI Type
INTP
I'm drinking, and trying to muster up some balls to speak to that pretty lady by the bar.

Economica

Dhampyr
MBTI Type
INTJ
walk in- find the bar- grab a strong drink and start chatting everyone up- especially the quiet people who don't look like they're having fun-

I chat up the quiet people too. :)

This interests me. What's the attraction of chatting them up? :huh: I do it myself in a hostess capacity but otherwise I wouldn't go by that criterion when zeroing in on conversation targets at a party. What's in it for you?

Edit: Oh, and I do this:

I'm two steps through the door and I immediately start making the rounds, making sure to say hello to everyone and pass greetings before I settle into a conversation on the sidelines.