• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What Would the World Do Without Fi?

William K

Uniqueorn
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
At this point, as a tert-Fi user, I'd like to remind the dom and aux Fi users that functional order does matter...

I have well-developed Fi, as do other INTJs on this forum, and, I don't want to speak for them (although what I'm about to say probably holds true for them as well...), but, at least for me, this whole Fi as an ocean deal really does not hold true.

That's likely your description because of its placement of in your functional order, just as much, if not more, than anything inherent to Fi...

I bet for Fi-dom's, they'd say it feels like the universe...

For Fi-aux's, it feels like an ocean...

For me, it feels like a burning fire within my soul...

For inferiors, it probably feels like that annoying angel on their shoulder...

The relative size one sees it as embodying is likely related to how much of one's mental universe it happens to embody.

:)

Nice. Can I call Te the devil on my other shoulder then? :D

Wonkavision

Retired Member
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w8
I bet for Fi-dom's, they'd say it feels like the universe...

For Fi-aux's, it feels like an ocean...

For me, it feels like a burning fire within my soul...

For inferiors, it probably feels like that annoying angel on their shoulder...

The relative size one sees it as embodying is likely related to how much of one's mental universe it happens to embody.

:)

If that's the case, then I'm an Fi Tertiary. It feels like a burning fire in my soul.

Me? an INTJ or ISTJ?

Shudder....................:shock:

Zarathustra

Let Go Of Your Team
If that's the case, then I'm an Fi Tertiary. It feels like a burning fire in my soul.

Me? an INTJ or ISTJ?

Shudder....................:shock:

I almost mentioned that it might also be related to masculinity and femininity and/or male and female (not to necessarily equate the two).

William K

Uniqueorn
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
I actually like the rudder metaphor.

I think Fi is the rudder, at least for an Fi-user.

But for an Fe-user, Fe-is the rudder...

Now for humanity, hmmmm... :thinking:

I would say for humanity, there is no single rudder.

There are thousands of rutters constantly trying to push the world in their own direction.

Thousands of rutters will give rise to thousands more of new rutters every 9 months...

But without Fi, would everyone have their own direction? It will be a direction that is judged using either Fe,Te or Ti. Wouldn't that mean less branching of directions?

Question : Would there be indie films without Fi?

Oaky

Travelling mind
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Integrity and honor wouldn't exist.

Zarathustra

Let Go Of Your Team
Thousands of rutters will give rise to thousands more of new rutters every 9 months...

Yup, that's (cultural) evolution.

But without Fi, would everyone have their own direction? It will be a direction that is judged using either Fe,Te or Ti. Wouldn't that mean less branching of directions?

Te tends to be pretty single-minded in the work hard, get shit done, make things more efficient mind-set... In what direction this would go without Fi... It would depend largely on whatever the Te users got to replace Fi with (if anything)... You'd either have a bunch of nihilists (nothing), a bunch of followers (Fe), or a bunch of... jeez, if one used both Te and Ti really effectively, with no F function, that would be kinda scary... :vader1:

Fe values would change with the tide, however cultural evolution, and the myriad forces that influence it, happen to unfold...

Ti would keep doing its thing, coming up with/attempting to prove new theories and inventions and shit...

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Z i like your metaphors :tongue:

also... Fi in me really goes from ocean to Fire when i get angry... lol :devil:

Question : Would there be indie films without Fi?

Fi aux though i may be, indie films generally make me :coffee: and/or :sadbanana:

i like action and happy endings! life has enough depressing and abstract shit, why add more?

William K

Uniqueorn
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Fi aux though i may be, indie films generally make me :coffee: and/or :sadbanana:

i like action and happy endings! life has enough depressing and abstract shit, why add more?

See! Without Fi, you won't be able to dislike something due to some subjective measure :D

Hopelandic

Permabanned
MBTI Type
me
Clearly I am heavily biased. But I think it's most appropriate for people dominant in a function to discuss the effects of not having a certain function exist. Clearly though, as i've said earlier, it's a little inappropriate to isolate individual functions.
For this reason;

I actually like the rudder metaphor.

I think Fi is the rudder, at least for an Fi-user.

But for an Fe-user, Fe-is the rudder...

Now for humanity, hmmmm... :thinking:

I would say for humanity, there is no single rudder.

There are thousands of rutters constantly trying to push the world in their own direction.

Brilliant!!! :yes:

Ever heard of the stanford prison experiments? (where all of the subjects were separated into 'guards' and 'prisoners' and the guards started literally becoming abusive, disrespectful intimidatory within a very short space of time).

Or the Milgram experiments where subjects were tested on their personal conscience, under the authority of psychologists who pretended to be "scientists" where given instructions to 'electrocute' other subjects? (where most people did exactly what the 'scientists' told them, even though some were 'screaming' - although it was fake, in 'pain'?).

What some social psychologists deduced from these experiments, was that people were capable of doing anything, regardless of the consequences, given the circumstance (especially given permission by authority).

I dare say, Fi might allow someone to move through these morality tests. When I grew up I never needed to be told how to behave; I was aware of all the consequences of my actions, even as a young child. As a very small child, I knew what hurt other people psychologically, emotionally, physically etc, and I decided the negative consequences that come from moving against people, outweigh the positives in most situations. It's like the opposite of game theory. It's able to see the holes in game theory instantly, that John Nash is only seeing/admitting now.

I think all functions operate on a brilliant balance continuum. I think Fi brings something important to an arguably Te oriented world. But that said, I can see how many people see it as irrelevant or a bother. It sometimes deals with things that most people don't deal with. But without Fi, the world would probably lose a lot of psychologists and counselors. It may lose the people in science who communicate well to the mass public. It may lose a lot of activists, campaigners, lawyers. A lot of people who others would term, 'unsuccessful' and 'bums'; but they probably don't care because they define 'success' in different terms. They define success as 'integrity' to their own self. It balances out Te, and i've seen a few Fi-dom teachers, show Te-dom students a way of life that gives them a sense of liberation.

A lot of people say Fi just leads to misery, hopelessness etc. No, that comes from how a person thinks. Fi as a pure cognitive function, gives worth, meaning, depth of subjective knowledge, values things in subjective terms. The world could do without it sure, but it would take away the colour and depth of experience for many people. What are we all alive for? just to procreate and make money? what is living really about? what society tells you is being a successful human? (remember, how the world is, doesn't make it 'good').

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
yeah... I pointed out that it was off topic on page 9, but that was ignored, because calling Sensors stupid is MUCH more fun than dredging Antisocial One's old thread on wiping people out :rolleyes: (hint hint... if you insist on starting a thread there already is one)

and looking at something differently doesn't mean looking at it wrongly... the concerns were quite global and widespread... they just weren't what you wanted to hear, and therefore you deemed them shallow and narrowly focused :doh:

now go listen to Zarathusa's good advice :yes:

And a world without Fi would be a lot less of a field of landmines for me... my understanding of that damned function on a personal level is fairly terrible :sadbanana:

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I think that's partly the problem. People who aren't Fi-users..hell even Fi-users themselves are too mystified to appreciate Fi for what it is.

Sad really.

It's taken for granted, and shunned when it *does* get noticed as then it's emo :horor:

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
lol yeah Fi is confusing. also... i dunno about you guys... but for me, i give way too much weight to what other people think. bad habit, but if people keep telling me i'm illogical and very sensitive, i start wondering if i am really stupid and emo :puppy_dog_eyes:

which makes me sound stupid and emo.

vicious cycle :doh:

on the bright side, typology helps me reason why i am not stupid and emo, just illogical and very sensitive. aka Fi.

uumlau

Happy Dancer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
on that note, I usually find it easier to describe my less dominant functions than my dominant ones because the dominant ones are the ones that I don't put any thought into using :laugh:

rav3n

I think that's partly the problem. People who aren't Fi-users..hell even Fi-users themselves are too mystified to appreciate Fi for what it is.

Sad really.

It's taken for granted, and shunned when it *does* get noticed as then it's emo :horor:
For you, Fi is your auxiliary function which makes it feel pretty natural since it's well developed. Same as Ni feels for me.

By the time Fi hits the inferior level, it becomes an achilles tendon, especially if your leading functions are ordered as Te/Ni/Se. These three cognitive functions are logical and rational. Fi is not when it's not been well developed and is an unfamiliar decision maker since it feels really needy and overboard, very much a cognitive dissonance. Te/Ni/Se fight it, as a decision-making function. Kind of like:

Te/Ni/Se: That makes no logical or rational sense. Take a look at the world around you and look to future consequences so you understand the impact of your attitude.
Fi: But it feels right.
Te/Ni/Se: WTF does that mean and what's the significance of it? :doh:

Of course we can try to develop it and many try to do so, including myself. But it's constant effort and no amount of effort has made it feel natural for me. Maybe in a couple of decades, it will be modified to feel more natural or at the very least, not unnatural.