• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What Would the World Do Without Fi?

Walking Tourist

it's tea time!
MBTI Type
esfp
Enneagram
It's good for looking inward and finding out what means the most to me. It's good for following my heart and doing what I feel is right and true. When I say that I want to speak out for human rights and life and against war and weapons of mass destruction, I feel that I am using my Fi. Even if no one agrees with me, I will still persevere because I am expressing what is in my heart.
I don't feel as if I am lost at sea. I'm never lost. Somewhere out there is a shore and seashells and sand and someone who will understand what I have just said here...

I must be Fe, because my ship will sail if it has to. I'm not sure what a dormant, lost at sea, individualistic Fi is good for.

KDude

Bah, I misread the metaphor (details, details...), and deleted that.

What you say is how I've wanted to see Fi as well, Tourist.

Anyways, I'm getting tired of all of this "unempathetic" stuff too. It's making me confused.

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I've decided my metaphor kind of sucks, a rudder is still a tool for getting things done, which isn't really Fi, no Fi is more like a magnificent ship with a nihilistic captain and crew, everyone trying to fulfill their duties to everyone else but ultimately just drifting aimlessly.

Suggestion:

Fi's the ocean the ship is surrounded by and uses to get somewhere, to journey, to find its way...or get completely lost in the shit storm up ahead :doh:

I'd say Te is the rudder ;)

Walking Tourist

it's tea time!
MBTI Type
esfp
Enneagram
Oh KDude, I think that we are empathetic, just like people with Fe. It just comes from a different place. And, because our feeling function is introverted, it can sometimes be hard to put that empathy into words.

Bah, I misread the metaphor (details, details...), and deleted that.

What you say is how I've wanted to see Fi as well, Tourist.

Anyways, I'm getting tired of all of this "unempathetic" stuff too. It's making me confused.

Walking Tourist

it's tea time!
MBTI Type
esfp
Enneagram
Oh no. Then I am rudderless! Te is probably my weakest function!!!!:doh:

Suggestion:

Fi's the ocean the ship is surrounded by and uses to get somewhere, to journey, to find its way...or get completely lost in the shit storm up ahead :doh:

I'd say Te is the rudder ;)

Quinlan

Intriguing....
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9w1
Strong Te and Ni but weak Fi = knowing how to get there but not knowing where you want to go.

Strong Fi and Se but weak Te = knowing where you want to go but not how to get there.

Maybe.

rav3n

:devil: Sweetheart, you wouldn't be half as adorable and datable without Fi...
As my inferior function, it's more of a pain than it's worth!

Fi is like the gummy bear that gets stuck in the cogs of machinery, causing production to crash to a halt. When a mechanic finally pulls out the mutilated gummy bear, it just reforms and dives back into the cogs again. It's a dumb, sappy little suicidal maniac. :steam:

Zarathustra

Let Go Of Your Team
As my inferior function, it's more of a pain than it's worth!

Fi is like the gummy bear that gets stuck in the cogs of machinery, causing production to crash to a halt. When a mechanic finally pulls out the mutilated gummy bear, it just reforms and dives back into the cogs again. It's a dumb, sappy little suicidal maniac. :steam:

So you're saying you have heart?

:heart:

(barely)

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
guys guys Fi is so MISUNDERSTOOD :emot-emo:

though seriously sometimes i read non-Fi-dom/aux descriptions of Fi and am like wtf :thinking:

don't get too hung up on on that black-and-white thing that some profiles like to talk about... or just reducing Fi to emotion... maybe that's how it plays out as a tert/inf or shadow function but it's more nuanced in a dom/aux than that :yes:

Oh I know....the only people who grasp Fi seem to be those who use it well, usually with it as the dom or aux function. I have a feeling those who have inferior Fi or Fi in shadow have such a low view of it because their own use is so limited and shabby. That or, you know, IFPs are just MISUNDERSTOOD :emot-emo: :D

Walking Tourist

it's tea time!
MBTI Type
esfp
Enneagram
That sounds about right to me...:shock:

Strong Te and Ni but weak Fi = knowing how to get there but not knowing where you want to go.

Strong Fi and Se but weak Te = knowing where you want to go but not how to get there.

Maybe.

Wonkavision

Retired Member
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w8
According to Lenore Thomson (in Personality Type: An Owner's Manual):
.....[Introverted Feeling] bypasses structural considerations and puts human value first. Such discrimination is unquestionably illogical, but it's in no way irrational. Indeed, to place human value above statistical risk isn't possible without the ability to reason.
One might even suggest that it's the rational character of Introverted Feeling that separates us from the species who share most of our DNA. Our closest primate relatives can be observed to use Extraverted Judging skills. They recognize a heirarchy of relationships, react to social cues, sacrifice their options for a wounded mate or an infant. They can be taught to perform calculations, to manipulate signs, to abstract general concepts. But they can't be taught to defy statistical odds purely for the sake of human value.

Wow. :shock:

So.....a world without Fi would be a world without HUMANITY???

A world of mere APES????

Discuss......

:peepwall:

Zarathustra

Let Go Of Your Team
But they can't be taught to defy statistical odds purely for the sake of human value.

Is it just me, or wouldn't it be odd for apes to defy statistical odds for the sake of human value?

:tongue:

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Dude aren't we all? The empathy argument is stupid to me. People who don't have empathy tend to turn out to be sociopaths/psychopaths...

true that. either side claiming empathy is ridic. i forget who pointed it out, but crying when other babies cry is an infant reflex! maybe functions will make us express it differently, but it's definitely just a general human thing.

As much as I've been participating in the other thread, I never took the premise of "A world without <choose your function>" seriously. It's as nonsensical as asking what a world without "green" would be like.

agree. and it automatically seems like it would be a terrible world because we love green! but if we never knew green... i mean, i've never seen ultraviolet but i still rather enjoy the world. no counterpart to Fe or Ti would kind of not make sense though anyway

Suggestion:

ooh, i've had this thought of Fi as an ocean too. maybe not in the ship metaphor but it does Feel like the ocean... deep, expansive, mysterious, but very comforting and freeing... usually calm to the surface observer but a lot going on underneath... and terrifying when stormy :D

let's see... parts of a ship...

sail - propels the ship where you want to go, but only if there's wind
keel - makes side-to-side motion more useful and steadies the ship in rough waters
mast - holds up the sail
rigging - holds it all together
hull - the body, where ya keep everything inside
poop deck - just kidding...

i'm not really seeing this one work out lol

actually... i feel more like we each have our own functional ships based on order/development... Fi would be my rudder, Ne my sails, Te my mast, Si the rigging, Ni the hull (stuff gets lots down there a lot), Ti the keel (not a very strong one either, i am a rather chaotic ship), Fe my flags... and Se... the little guy in the crow's nest munching potato chips and enjoying the breeze, who keeps falling asleep :laugh:

Zarathustra

Let Go Of Your Team
Alright, this thread has been too nice... time for war:

A world without Fi would be a world without authenticity...

Bring it on... I dare you... :2ar15:

Zarathustra

Let Go Of Your Team
Fi's the ocean the ship is surrounded by and uses to get somewhere, to journey, to find its way...

ooh, i've had this thought of Fi as an ocean too. maybe not in the ship metaphor but it does Feel like the ocean... deep, expansive, mysterious, but very comforting and freeing... usually calm to the surface observer but a lot going on underneath... and terrifying when stormy :D

At this point, as a tert-Fi user, I'd like to remind the dom and aux Fi users that functional order does matter...

I have well-developed Fi, as do other INTJs on this forum, and, I don't want to speak for them (although what I'm about to say probably holds true for them as well...), but, at least for me, this whole Fi as an ocean deal really does not hold true.

That's likely your description because of its placement of in your functional order, just as much, if not more, than anything inherent to Fi...

I bet for Fi-dom's, they'd say it feels like the universe...

For Fi-aux's, it feels like an ocean...

For me, it feels like a burning fire within my soul...

For inferiors, it probably feels like that annoying angel on their shoulder...

The relative size one sees it as embodying is likely related to how much of one's mental universe it happens to embody.

:)

Zarathustra

Let Go Of Your Team
Man, this ship metaphor is sinking fast.

I actually like the rudder metaphor.

I think Fi is the rudder, at least for an Fi-user.

But for an Fe-user, Fe-is the rudder...

Now for humanity, hmmmm... :thinking:

I would say for humanity, there is no single rudder.

There are thousands of rutters constantly trying to push the world in their own direction.

Zarathustra

Let Go Of Your Team
*Zarathustra's enemies, hearing of his vulnerability, plot to converge and swoop in for the kill... impending chaos starts to ensue*

:tongue: